Moss Yelle Boyd
Friesen Lundmark Godard
Defence Pairings
Ro.Regehr Warrener
Phaneuf Hamrlik
Giordano A.Ference

Goalies
(S)Kiprusoff McLennan

It would be foolish to think the Calgary Flames are better without Jarome Iginla in their lineup. His absence, however, could make them an improved team in the long run.

The Flames look to make it three wins in as many games without their best player Thursday when they visit the Colorado Avalanche in a Northwest Division matchup.

Iginla, among the league leaders with 53 points, suffered a sprained knee in a 5-4 overtime victory over Florida on Jan. 4 and is sidelined indefinitely. The Flames figured to struggle without their captain and leading scorer, but have won both games in his absence.

Byron Ritchie continued his unlikely scoring, netting his fourth goal in three games Tuesday in a 3-0 victory over visiting Minnesota.

After scoring only three times in the first 33 games, Ritchie has caught fire of late in response to the increased ice time he's received with Iginla out. He already has a career-high seven goals after managing only four last season.

"It's a lot more fun when you're contributing offensively and the team's winning," Ritchie said.

Daymond Langkow and defenseman Mark Giordano also scored Tuesday for Calgary (22-15-4), which has won three straight and finished 5-1-0 on its longest homestand of the season.

The Flames have pulled within one point of Northwest-leading Vancouver with two games in hand on the Canucks.

"Our division is so tight, you drop a couple in a row, you're in the cellar. You win a few in a row, you're in first place," Ritchie said.

Also playing well lately for Calgary is Miikka Kiprusoff, who stopped 26 shots Tuesday for his 100th NHL victory and 22nd shutout.

"It's not fun when Jarome is out, but we hope he's back as soon as possible. Now, while he's not in the lineup, we all have to play well," Kiprusoff said.

Kiprusoff has won four of his last five starts, but all those have come at home. He has allowed 12 goals during a three-game road losing streak.

Colorado (21-18-3) has also played well lately, matching a season high with three straight wins before a 4-3 shootout loss Tuesday to Detroit.

Ben Guite scored his first career goal and Wojtek Wolski and Milan Hejduk also scored for the Avs, who are three points behind Calgary in tight Northwest.

Peter Budaj stopped 40 of 43 shots in regulation and overtime in his sixth consecutive start.

"Peter Budaj was remarkable in the net," Colorado coach Joel Quenneville said. "It was unfortunate that we lost, but we came away with a point in our first shootout loss of the year."

Budaj has appeared to have taken the starting job away from former Vezina Trophy winner Jose Theodore, who hasn't played since Dec. 27.

Budaj has allowed three goals or fewer in each of his last six starts. He hasn't fared too well against Calgary, though, going 1-3-1 with a 3.02 goals-against average in six career appearances.

Avs captain Joe Sakic has played well recently against the Flames, registering six goals and three assists in the last six meetings.

The Flames made it four straight wins over the Avalanche with a 5-2 home victory on Nov. 28. Calgary, however, has been outscored 10-4 in losing its last two visits to Colorado.

-- Associated Press

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:18 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Phaneuf hits McLean, then Lapperiere comes after Phaneuf. Crosschecking to Lapperiere and five minutes each to Phaneuf and Lapperiere. Phaneuf handled him pretty well in the scrum.

Old
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
abracanada

There is the end to Kippers shutout streak. Svatos......Avs up 1-0.

Old
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
abracanada

Hamrlik - fed by Huselius and Langkow. 1-1

Penalty to the Flames right after.

Old
01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
abracanada

Huselius shorthanded - maybe, stay tuned.

Its good.

Old
01-11-2007, 08:46 PM
abracanada

Stastny from Sakic.....2-2 Gonna be a high scoring game methinks

Old
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
abracanada

Moss from Tanguay and Giordano. 3-2 Is Tanguay the guy we should thank for the success of Ritchie? This feed was perfect. Seems like we see a lot of those these days. Hmmm

Old
01-11-2007, 09:26 PM
abracanada

Langkow shorthanded - 11th shorthanded goal......#1 in the league for shorthanded goals. Now that evens up special teams goals. Very close to another shorty for Flames.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
abracanada

Langkow from Tanguay......whoa.....

5-2 Flames

Theodore is in the game.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
abracanada

Brunette scores........ pp agin ..... 5-3

Old
01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
abracanada

Amonte from Langkow and Giordano - from way out, softy

Old
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
abracanada

I just want them to win some road games.......then I will be happy.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

If the Flames could play like this on the road regularly, they'd EASILY run away with this Division. It's funny how they're on the PP, they play like a PK, and when they're on the PK, they play like they're on the PP. lol. Regardless, I'm lovin' what I'm seeing here tonight.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Eichel 9

I guess the team can do it without Iginla, Edmonton must be so sad hah. Glad to see Langkow having an amazing season, 4 point night tonight? Also Tanguay is back to averaging a point per game or close, and I think he is really benefiting other players on the team..

Go flames! my 2nd favorite team

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:04 PM
abracanada

Me too.....Huselius has as many points now as Gomez and Datsyuk believe it or not........Colorado got a penalty.....what the hell is wrong with Dvorsky, doesn't he know what the score is?

Old
01-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Avsboy

Don't get ahead of yourselves, the avs just suck tonight

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
I think the only question i have now, is where have all the oiler fans who told us how bad we were gonna be with out our biggest offenseive thread??

4 games 4 wins

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post

Was somebody getting ahead of themselves here?

Old
01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
when 2 of your top 6 forwards are out hurt then 7 goals against any team is impressive even if that team sucked

and on a flames note... they are now averaging 3.14 goals per game... likely up to 6th now (7th if the sharks also have a 7 goal gamem which looks unlikely since they have 3 midway through the 3rd)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:42 AM
natural420*

Quote:
tonight, and the last 4 times colorado has played calgary. hmmm i think we all know which is the better team.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Tangs4President21212

Well you can say the aves sucked all you want to....

The facts are...
Tangs kicked some serious ***, no joke.... also, the team is stepping up in a serious way with Iggy out... i mean seriously, can some one tell me their team could win like this with their leader out??... the answer is.... No, you cannot.... The Flames call-ups, along with Richie and Lombardi, and other obvious leaders... are all stepping up and doing what they need to do to get this team to the playoffs... and i think we all need to bow our caps to them, as the recent call ups will get no recognition as they will get sent down when everyone is healthy, and they're yesterdays news... I try not to be bias as I am a huge Knights fan, and am a big Body and Moss fan... and from watching flames games i think they deserve to be there over McCarty, Nilson, & Friesen...

Last edited by Tangs4President21212: 01-12-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Tangs4President21212 is offline   Reply With Quote