HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Orr Video

Old
01-11-2007, 07:14 PM
raleh

vCash: 500
Orr Video

RUSqueelin posted this on another thread, but I thought it was so good it deserved it's own thread...wow!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi71...elated&search=

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
The Messenger

That brought back a lot of memories. What a gifted player !!! You really have to keep telling yourself, he is a DEFENCEMAN !!!!!

Wish someone had the vdeo when he single-handly killed a 2 minute penalty against the California Golden Seals. (he had the puck for the entire 2 minutes). Come-on Gee Wally, I am sure you have it somehere !!!

Orr was the BEST !!!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Colton Orr >>>>> Bobby Orr.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:37 PM
pitseleh

I thanked him for it before, but I'm going to again, because it's that fantastic.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Oedi

wow...that is honestly crazy. Holy crap, he can play all 3 positions, Forward, Defence AND Goalie. Im so amazed just at this highlight video. Especially how the hell he get those shots off with just one hand, its just totally sick.

Oedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Hockey Outsider

Orr had such a strong fundamental understanding of every aspect of hockey... I honestly think he could have been a Vezina-calibre goalie if he wanted to.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
04' hockey

boy,

You hate to say it but, there will probably never be another.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Forever27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Wish someone had the vdeo when he single-handly killed a 2 minute penalty against the California Golden Seals. (he had the puck for the entire 2 minutes). Come-on Gee Wally, I am sure you have it somehere !!!
I'd like to see that video.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Atlas

That guy was unbelievable. I don't exactly understand what he's doing. It doesn't look as artistic as what Gretzky and Lemieux did. It's like he plays faster than everybody else. He's always at least one move ahead of those other guys.

Thanks, Bobby.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
RUSqueelin

A little something more to give you an idea of who Bobby Orr is.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...78&q=bobby+orr

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I don't exactly understand what he's doing.

Your comment is priceless...For it captures Bobby Orr perfectly.

Reminds me of a quote from the 19th century essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"To be great is to be misunderstood."

The few truly great ones, in all walks of life, do not "make sense," do not conform to our sensibilities.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:46 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
A little something more to give you an idea of who Bobby Orr is.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...78&q=bobby+orr
Gotta get that book. I am the same age as Bobby & remember seeing him play (on TV) for Oshawa at 14. Thinking here I am playing bantam whereas this kid my age is playing Junior A & dominating.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:08 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Gotta get that book. I am the same age as Bobby & remember seeing him play (on TV) for Oshawa at 14. Thinking here I am playing bantam whereas this kid my age is playing Junior A & dominating.
I had no idea you used to play in the NHL. But for the life of me I can't put a name to your face, and haven't been able to every time I watch this video. Please help me out the name alludes me. (your get what I talking about when watching this video.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMcTq8Esk

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:27 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
I had no idea you used to play in the NHL. But for the life of me I can't put a name to your face, and haven't been able to every time I watch this video. Please help me out the name alludes me. (your get what I talking about when watching this video.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMcTq8Esk
No I am not Brad Park. Interesting that he made a similiar comment considering his great career. IMO. Second only to Orr as far as D-men during that era.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Your comment is priceless...For it captures Bobby Orr perfectly.

Reminds me of a quote from the 19th century essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"To be great is to be misunderstood."

The few truly great ones, in all walks of life, do not "make sense," do not conform to our sensibilities.

Cool man, thanks.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:02 PM
raleh

Quote:
Murray, the book is actually incredible...Just as good as Carrier's Our Life With The Rocket.

Old
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
ClassicHockey

Murray, did you get the Orr book?

I researched that book for 2 years and Stephen Brunt is just an outstanding writer with incredible analytical ability. To have a hockey book on a National Best Seller list for so long is incredible.

We're around the same age - I actually was at Bobby Orr's 1st game for Oshawa - I remember a smallish player wearing #2 with a helmet - he really stood out for that, and his play of course. I still have the program.

Quote:

ClassicHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:46 AM
raleh

I noticed your name in the acknowledgements section of the book Classic...whatever role you played in the research for this book, well done.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:01 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If you love the idea of the Bobby Orr you remember then I suggest leaving this one alone. I read it and at some points hated it for casting a very human cloud over my boyhood hero.This is no rah rah Bobby Orr book and could change your perfect perception.Two thumbs down!

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:03 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No I am not Brad Park. Interesting that he made a similiar comment considering his great career. IMO. Second only to Orr as far as D-men during that era.
Denis Potvin and Stan Fischler think Orr was second to Potvin!

Old
01-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Devonator

Simply incredible....I started watching hockey in 71/72 so I got to see the last few years of Orr Career.....with all due respect to Gretzky and Mario, Orr was the Greatest ever....and to think he did all of this on such bad knees!??? What this man could have accomplished if he had had healthy knees? Wow...the Cups Boston would have won in addition to those 2.....

And not only was he the greatest Hockey player ever....he was and is total class and humble......athletes could take a cue on class from Mr. Orr!!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:53 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
Denis Potvin and Stan Fischler think Orr was second to Potvin!
Lost all respect for Potvin when he pulled that comment after Orr won MVP for the 76Canada Cup (playing on one leg).
Something along the lines, "I derserved it more that Orr"

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Pfft

vCash: 50
Wow, the level of competition he faced was atrocious by today's standards. Still very impressive talent, of course.

Pfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:46 PM
ClassicHockey

I think that the real hockey fans of that era knew about Orr's 'warts' before the book talked about them.

It's not like the author purposely looked for anything bad, he just was 'searching' for the real Bobby Orr and related what he found.

I understand your point of view though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
If you love the idea of the Bobby Orr you remember then I suggest leaving this one alone. I read it and at some points hated it for casting a very human cloud over my boyhood hero.This is no rah rah Bobby Orr book and could change your perfect perception.Two thumbs down!

ClassicHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHockey View Post
I think that the real hockey fans of that era knew about Orr's 'warts' before the book talked about them.

It's not like the author purposely looked for anything bad, he just was 'searching' for the real Bobby Orr and related what he found.

I understand your point of view though.
No offense but I was 10 when Orr was at his peak and 19 when he retired and my entire generation of Boston kids (grew up 3 miles from the Garden and Dad had season tickets that were passed to me) idolize Orr as Deity. Noone I know ever knew anything more than his spotless public persona. In Boston right now he is still worshiped and this book is the first any of us ever heard of his womanizing,paranoia,sensitivity or vindictiveness. Personally I found the book alternately fascinating and boring but fascinating does not imply I enjoyed it. 2 big thumbs down from an Orr generation Boston boy/season ticket holder/player for 43 years!!BTW he said he wrote his perception of what he found.