HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
X-SHARKIE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
The next Marian Hossa - Lukas Kaspar lol.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Niklas "Future Norris Winner" Kronwall
Igor "More hype AFTER the accident" Grigorenko
Jiri "Biggest steal ever" Hudler

Just to name a few. As has been mentioned, pretty much anyone drafted by the 'big' teams here on HF.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
stoll_16

Alexei Mihknov. I read the Oilers boards before and during training camp and he was hyped up so much. Is apparently the next great power forward in the NHL. In the two games i saw him play, he looked slow and clumsy and just not very co-ordinated.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:52 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

How are those Thrasher defensive prospects coming? Uhhh...Boris Valabik and Braydon Coburn?

Old
01-12-2007, 12:10 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Danny Battochio.

He had that one ridicuous season with the 67's when he pretty much single handedly led them to the Mem Cup, and there were threads popping up about him on a weekly basis.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Dany Roussin

Old
01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
Dany Roussin
Good one. I clearly remember Kings fans saying that it wasn't because of Crosby that he was any good.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7 View Post
Maxim Balmochnykh?
He was great at the WJC. I'm still in shock that he busted.

Another guy I thought that would be an elite player was Svitov. Now he looks like he'll top out as a decent 3rd liner.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Well two of the Wings guys suffered major injuries which hurt there development. Those who said Hudler was the biggest steal ever were silly though. Mind you I think Hudler would be doing better on another team (Babs hates him). Kronwall is the Wings number 3 dman and is really starting to come on of late. Every time he would get going in the past he'd get hurt. Grigs well Grigs almost died. The fact that he is even still playing is amazing. The Wings have had some of the worst luck with players and freak injuries. Kozzie, Konstantinov, and Grigs were all in serious car accidents. Fischer almost dies on the ice due to the heart issue, and Kronwall suffers two freak accidents his first two seasons in the NHL. I trully still see something special in Kronwall. If he can stay healthy I won't put being a reg All-Star beyond him.

Old
01-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Karamazov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president View Post
Well two of the Wings guys suffered major injuries which hurt there development. Those who said Hudler was the biggest steal ever were silly though. Mind you I think Hudler would be doing better on another team (Babs hates him). Kronwall is the Wings number 3 dman and is really starting to come on of late. Every time he would get going in the past he'd get hurt. Grigs well Grigs almost died. The fact that he is even still playing is amazing. The Wings have had some of the worst luck with players and freak injuries. Kozzie, Konstantinov, and Grigs were all in serious car accidents. Fischer almost dies on the ice due to the heart issue, and Kronwall suffers two freak accidents his first two seasons in the NHL. I trully still see something special in Kronwall. If he can stay healthy I won't put being a reg All-Star beyond him.

I agree with your post. With the exception of Hudler (who I still think it's too early to say as this is his first NHL season) it's completely unfair and hasty to say Grigs and Kronwall have done nothing. Grigorenko was given long odds on ever walking again without pain, and considering what he went through, I think that he's made it back this far is amazing. He almost died and now he's a productive star in the second best league in the world. His situation is not the same as a guy like Morozov or Kaigorodov. As for Kronwall, he got off to a slow start but this is his first NHL season people! He's not Pitkanen, but I think he has a very promising career ahead of him, and has kept getting better as time goes on. With Grigs and Kronwall the hype was not unwarranted, and because they haven't stepped in and put up big stats for the fantasy kids they're written off as having done "nothing" - mind boggling.

The guys I had the most hope for that haven't really turned out:
Maxim Balmochnyk
Jared Aulin
Jeff Taffe
Jani Rita

Old
01-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Karamazov

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
How are those Thrasher defensive prospects coming? Uhhh...Boris Valabik and Braydon Coburn?

Coburn is progressing fine

Old
01-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Trent Hunter was billed to be a future 40 goal scorer after his FAST start his rookie season. Needless to say, it hasn't worked out for him.

Rickard Wallin.

Yanick Lehoux was another along with Jared Aulin that were hyped endlessly on these boards and never panned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Archives
Frolov and Aulin may turn out to be special players, but that will not be at the expense of Lehoux. Yanick has the potential to be great, just as the other prospects do. Make no mistake, Lehoux has alot to work on with his game, but he will be a star in the NHL. Here's hoping the Kings realize that and we don't see Lehoux in a future All-Star Game wearing another team's sweater.
I think that one is pretty safe. Heh.

Old
01-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Crosby=Gretzky

Send a message via MSN to Crosby=Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
just remember a big one

Bruno St. Jacques

and what even happened to Hans Jonsson?
Hans Jonsson is playing for MoDo in the SEL, I believe.

Old
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
The Viking Fury

Whoever said Matt Pettinger...

He was hyped? I haven't been around long but I don't see how. He's doing alright for the caps, had a great year last season and is putting it all together now.

Old
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
babybruin

one from canucks days of yore... I wasnt on these boards at the time but Bill Muckalt was pretty hyped in van city during his rookie campaign

Old
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
mooseOAK*

Carter and Richards,

Old
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ayerId=8469456

Svitov nearly got me banned from the site my first week here. Dr_Chimera would hear nothing of my questioning his character for spitting on another player. Turns out that it was much ado about nothing. Svitov has yet to do anything substantial 5 years later.

01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton View Post
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ayerId=8469456

Svitov nearly got me banned from the site my first week here. Dr_Chimera would hear nothing of my questioning his character for spitting on another player. Turns out that it was much ado about nothing. Svitov has yet to do anything substantial 5 years later.
Yeah, but his puck poise was a thing of beauty, even while spitting.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Good one. I clearly remember Kings fans saying that it wasn't because of Crosby that he was any good.

No, that was Panther fans!

Anthony Stewart got insanely overhyped by Panther fans. I remember there was a time after the draft that the majority thought Stewart was going to be better than Horton.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Lest we forget the Cola-Wars.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president View Post

thanx - you saved me a lot of typing - Give Kronwall more PP time and also Hudler..I think they can get lots of points.

the question was ON THESE BOARDS - so someone that comes to mind is Yanick Lehoux ( more like Le-Who?) - he was so hyped..I belived hes the next Luc Robitaille or something.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Count of DannyKristo

Jozef Balej for a while.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferjo View Post
basically any 20 year old, or overager that lights up the CHL has been, and always will be highly overhyped. Everyone seems to have it in their minds that they were bigtime steals in the draft even though these players bring nothing to the game but their decent hands, or playmaking ability.
For that reason, I thought Brad Richards would never amount to anything, being the typical overager lighting up a high scoring league.

But I guess I was wrong.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
arin1

Hudler has barely played more than 5 minutes in any NHL game, yet... I don't think you can judge him that much yet.

Old
01-12-2007, 11:53 AM
turnbuckle*

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Vladimir Evseev.

I think it was Dr. Chimaera who insisted he'd be a top five pick.

With a Russian theme.....

Svitov
Yakubov
Vorobiev (mike Smith, we miss ya)

Closed Thread