HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Objective and intelligent discussion about whether the Kings should trade Norstrom...

Old
01-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Objective and intelligent discussion about whether the Kings should trade Norstrom...

I ask for a serious discussion about this subject.

Should Norstrom be traded? Why or why not?

Would you trade him for a 1st? Would you expect more? If so, what?

What teams do you believe could use him? What teams would overpay for him?

My opinion, yes, he should be traded. He doesn't fit into the Kings' plan 2-3 years from now. He has lost a step. He will be worse next season. However, he is good enough to have top value to a contender and I believe the right package can cause an overpayment for him. I know little of his locker room leadership but I cannot imagine he is an exceptional leader - I can tell he is respected by his teammates. I like Norstrom. I still believe he is a good defenseman but he does not fit into a young team that is building. Norstrom with some help on defense (and Blake is not help, he is a liability) can be effective. However, he is slipping and next year will be slower and less effective.

I would package if at all possible but at this time, not sure with whom.
I believe with the right team, we could get more than a 1st. I look at the top Eastern teams in contention that could use a Norstrom.

Who could use him? NJ (although can they afford him?), NYR, BUFF, MONTREAL, OTTAWA & CAROLINA. Not sure about Atlanta.

I am not certain the Kings trade him in the west...can you imagine? Norstrom a Duck? I didn't think so.

Thoughts...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:37 AM
kingsfan25

riseandfall will be ecstatic.

As for whether or not he should be traded...why not? He's been good to the Kings, but if he has a chance to go to a contender, management might as well reward his play.

However, given the pre-season chatter, it seems like Lombardi is pretty high on Matty as one of those character vets that he's been loading the team with. I think there's a good chance you see him around after the deadline.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:50 AM
CBGB

Unless a team is seriously willing to overpay, I say keep him:

Jack Johnson needs a mentor besides Blake

The defensive players we pick up from trading Sopel, Tverdovsky (please), and Miller will need to be taught.

Slow as he may be, he's a fricken WARRIOR and I don't want him traded.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Fangio

vCash: 50
He leads by example, and with the team getting younger, I say keep him.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:07 AM
dabeechman

Id rather keep Norstrom over Blake.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:09 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Id rather keep Norstrom over Blake.
Blake is as much a marketing tool as a defenseman to this organization. Plus there won't be too many people keen on paying him 6.5 mill next year (not saying there'll be no one).

He's here til he retires, IMO...or until he goes to Anaheim at a reduced salary.

Old
01-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
For me trade him.......
move him to the lowest contender to get the highest 1st Pick

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Venom_17

Depends what he gets us. Everyone is moveable at the right price.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:37 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Blake is as much a marketing tool as a defenseman to this organization. Plus there won't be too many people keen on paying him 6.5 mill next year (not saying there'll be no one).

He's here til he retires, IMO...or until he goes to Anaheim at a reduced salary.
Oh, i totally understand WHY blake is here. Im just saying i would rather have norstrom and what he brings to the kings then blake.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:38 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Depends what he gets us. Everyone is moveable at the right price.
Even you know who....the K man...AK 47...the Kopitastic one...

You know: Brian Willsie.

Old
01-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Osprey

Something that should be considered is that Norstrom has always re-signed with the Kings. He's shown loyalty to the organization and I see nothing to suggest that he won't re-sign again and again until he retires. It might be nice for the organization to keep him as a King until he hangs 'em up. He's been the greatest constant for the team and such a thing is valuable to have. Yes, he could fetch a good return, but would the organization really be better off with a late-round prospect (who may not even pan out) than with four more years of Norstrom being an example and continued constant for the team?

I would put the question to Norstrom of whether he'd like to be traded to a contender. I don't think that he'd accept, but it'd be considerate to ask. I guess that what I'm getting at with all of this is that it just wouldn't seem very "right" to trade him if he has thoughts of retiring as a King. It would seem a little like a betrayal after the loyalty that he's shown to the organization, and that might bother me a little. I'm not really opposed to a trade, but the importance of loyalty is a considerable factor on my mind, and one which hasn't really been addressed in this thread yet.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-12-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:42 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
riseandfall will be ecstatic.

As for whether or not he should be traded...why not? He's been good to the Kings, but if he has a chance to go to a contender, management might as well reward his play.

However, given the pre-season chatter, it seems like Lombardi is pretty high on Matty as one of those character vets that he's been loading the team with. I think there's a good chance you see him around after the deadline.
Actually. If he wasn't so overpaid. And had the ability to make a pass and not turn the puck over so much. I would say keep him. Its not like I hate him as a person. I actually used to love the guy. But its been pretty gosh darn hard trying to convince myself that Norstrom and Blake don't suck. With that being said I appreciate everything that he has done for the organization but I would like to see him go to a team where he doesn't need to be the Rock on defense because hes 2 years past that point. And he probably deserves to win at least one cup for all hes been through with the Kings.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:51 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Actually. If he wasn't so overpaid. And had the ability to make a pass and not turn the puck over so much. I would say keep him. Its not like I hate him as a person. I actually used to love the guy. But its been pretty gosh darn hard trying to convince myself that Norstrom and Blake don't suck. With that being said I appreciate everything that he has done for the organization but I would like to see him go to a team where he doesn't need to be the Rock on defense because hes 2 years past that point. And he probably deserves to win at least one cup for all hes been through with the Kings.
I will say that plucking Norstrom out of the Kings defense could have the same effect as pulling a card of a house of cards.

Old
01-12-2007, 03:06 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
I will say that plucking Norstrom out of the Kings defense could have the same effect as pulling a card of a house of cards.
Its clearly. An opinion that wont be shared by some Kings fans if any. And I am aware of that. Norstrom is looking great to the Kings because .... we have Dallman , Weaver , Tverdovsky as his replacements. I could preach and preach and preach about all the negatives on Rob Blake. But why waste my breath? Hes not going anywhere. We have been consistently loosing for as many years as I can remember and the only thing that has really stayed intact and the only thing in common with our loosing is our defense. And those so called Rocks. In all honesty. I feel bad for Norstrom now. Because hes been so loyal to the Kings and the fans hes always been an overall great person. And he just cant be that 30 min man anymore. Hes a 4th 5th defense men tops now. When the Kings first got him he was a defensive machine. The best thing for him. Is to go to a winning team and be a compliment to the defense and not the solution. As for loyalty and all that mess we gave him loyalty back by giving him 9 million dollars over 2 years. Another thing I feel really bad about. Is he tried to get faster. I dont know if anyone noticed he lost 35 pounds over the summer and he really tried to keep up. Classy all the way. I would never wish ill will towards him, like some people do with Cloutier.

So overall to answer the orignal posters question.

Best interest of the team: Trade him

Overall feeling for him and what he was for us: Keep him

Old
01-12-2007, 03:11 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Its clearly. An opinion that wont be shared by some Kings fans if any. And I am aware of that. Norstrom is looking great to the Kings because .... we have Dallman , Weaver , Tverdovsky as his replacements.
That's my point...Norstrom, while he has lost a step, looks worse by virtue of all of the thankless defensive assignments he gets handed with this team...if you take him out of the lineup and other players have to pick up the slack, the defense will look worse.

Old
01-12-2007, 03:16 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
That's my point...Norstrom, while he has lost a step, looks worse by virtue of all of the thankless defensive assignments he gets handed with this team...if you take him out of the lineup and other players have to pick up the slack, the defense will look worse.
I agree. Its tough. The whole defensive lineup sucks real bad. With the exception of Visnovsky. Miller , Norstrom , Blake , Dallman , Weaver are all pretty bad. Sopel is on the brink. Sometimes he looks like a hockey player. Other times its like????? Did he just do that????. Miller was shooting the puck at Toskola today like a 7 year old mini mite.

Perhaps we could pray that we get Brad Stuart and Scott Hannan next year? . Like I said its tough. Even in a fantasy league I wouldnt know what to do lol. We shall see what DL does.

Old
01-12-2007, 03:40 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I like Norstrom, he has the Avery's heart without the giganic mouth.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:40 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
That contract extension with that bloated price tag will make it tough to move him, and if you think you can get a 1st round pick from a bottom-feeder team, good luck. I think you're dreaming. Is Norstrom a "warrior?" No doubt, but he's been mediocre to woeful post-lockout (with the exception of his amazing point total which was exaggerated because of his increased offensive "responsibilities" in the Andy Murray farewell-era.

Just remember that there are few teams that will be able to add salary without subtracting some.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:43 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I think what Norstrom got from the Kings is the same he would have recieved on the free market, did you guys see the massive overpayment for D-man during the offseason? Norstrom is not overpayed by those standards.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Game Misconduct

I would not hesitate to trade him for a good young prospect or a #2.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
I would not hesitate to trade him for a good young prospect or a #2.
Objectively, Trade. However, he's tough to move, in more ways than one. The Kings should get a good prospect or a late first or second round pick in return. Look at what Brendan Witt fetched last season.

Subjectively, I would not want to be in a lockerroom where your captain and on-ice leader is traded. DL would all but admit defeat for the season.

Matti's a warrior, but he has very hesitant with the puck the last couple games. The difference between him and Lubo in terms of making a pass to an open skater is stark. He has lost all of the offensive aggressiveness from last season.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Fat Elvis

I don't think it's so much a case of whether or not the Kings should trade Matty, but instead a case of can they trade Matty. A team is going to be eating a large contract that doesn't end soon if they acquire him. Tough to do in this cap world.

Should they trade him? Why not, it's not like LA is a good team fighting for a playoff spot this year. Next year he'll just be another year older. I like him, but I'm a Kings fan. If it helps the Kings get better tomorrow, then trade him today.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Face Wash

Our Defensive corp has been so disappointing this season. Average age is about 32 and you'd think you'd get more offense (sans Lubomir of course) and a smarter positional game from these guys. The fact is, outside of Cloutier and some poor to lackluster to downright apathetic play from a few VETERAN forwards (i.e. Willsie, Conroy & Thornton) the Kings defensive corp has by and large been the issue with this team.

Having said that, I'd keep Norstrom. Blake's been a way bigger mess this season because you expect offense from him (especially for the dinero he's pulling) and he's barely giving us anything (The next slapshot from the blueline that dude actually puts ON NET might be his first and could be his last).

Isn't Norstrom for all he's done for this organization and for his on and off-ice presence for guys like Petiot, Harrold, JMFJ and the guys we'll be seeing back there over the next couple seasons worth about $5.5 mil for a couple more seasons? I mean, they extended Cloutier sight unseen for more. At least with Matty you know what you're getting and he doesn't sit with little nick-nack injuries.

Sopel (who I like but they won't be able to afford next season), TurnoverDovsky and Miller should go. Keep Matty and extend him. It's the wise course of action.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Keep Matty and extend him. It's the wise course of action.
Oh, he's pretty extended already... doing way more than his skill set will allow him to at this point in time... and not doing it well at all. He's been brutal on the ice more often than not. And, there's not much he does as "Captain" that leads me to believe that trading him would send any particular message other than "IT'S TIME TO CONTINUE TO BLOW THIS MESS UP."

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
HeadInjury

I don't think we would get more for him this year than next year when his contract is expiring and he becomes a more affordable rental. I don't think freeing up cap room for next year will be that crucial either. So I'd keep him around.

This is a bad defensive team. The focus was on Cloutier. With him gone, the focus is on the defensemen. But really the problem is everywhere, including the coaching.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote