HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Objective and intelligent discussion about whether the Kings should trade Norstrom...

Old
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
As bad as the team defense has been, it makes you wonder how much worse it could get after all the old-timers, lugs and pylons are gone. You know in a matter of 2-3 seasons, Blake, Norstrom, Miller, Sopel, Tverdovsky, Dallman and Weaver will no longer be with the club. That leaves only one defenseman from the current squad who could possibly be retained; Lubomir Visnovsky.

Aside from Lubo, we have Jack Johnson, maybe Peter Harrold and Patrick Hersley and Richard Petiot to bring up from the pipeline. This feels like 1996 all over again...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As bad as the team defense has been, it makes you wonder how much worse it could get after all the old-timers, lugs and pylons are gone. You know in a matter of 2-3 seasons, Blake, Norstrom, Miller, Sopel, Tverdovsky, Dallman and Weaver will no longer be with the club. That leaves only one defenseman from the current squad who could possibly be retained; Lubomir Visnovsky.

Aside from Lubo, we have Jack Johnson, maybe Peter Harrold and Patrick Hersley and Richard Petiot to bring up from the pipeline. This feels like 1996 all over again...
I think you'll see DL sign/trade for some good young D-men in the next couple seasons.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
funky

I love what he has done, his character, his heart but we are not a playoff team and deserves a shot at the cup. He is still young enough to be a beast in the playoffs for a contender and therefor is worth a decent return.

Negatives for Matty staying in LA. Contract is huge, wont help our playoff chances, wont get a return if we don't trade him.

Best case scenario - get a team like the Rangers to panick and L.A takes on a big contract from them such as Ozo to free up room for the Rags in turn getting a prospect like Dubinsky or Sanguinetti.

2nd best- To Boston for Brad Stuart. He is a soon to be free agent, it gives us time to try and re-sign him, a legit #2 dman, or if he does not re-sign it gives us an extra 4 mil by getting rid of Matty's contract.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:30 AM
nikolai19

This is a great topic and here is what I think will happen.

You are going to lose two defensemen, this year, before the end of February. Part of the reasoning behind this is the defensive corps is vastly overpaid and underperforming.

Blake 6 million
Norstrom 4.25 million
Sopel 2.4 million
Miller 2.4 million
Tverdovsky 2.5 million
Visnovsky 1.9 million

Overall that is closing in on 50% of the team's cap. Couple that with the fact that Miller and Sopel are UFA's and they will need to be re-signed makes things even more interesting. Here is a fair analysis.

Blake- At his salary and his age, and the primary reason for him coming back to LA is to finish his career where he started and where he currently resides, he is untouchable. Besdies Kopitar, I would be most shocked if the Kings dealt Rob Blake. Plus, he is the guy they are hoping to mentor JJ for at least the rest of this season and next. He's staying.

Norstrom-See Blake except like someone else said, IF AND ONLY IF, he wants to go to a contender. He has the rest of this year and next on his deal and he is relatively expensive and really offers nothing more than a defensive defenseman with limited offensive skill, however, he battles very hard. I don't think DL would deal him but I certainly wouldn't count it out.

Sopel-Regardless of the UFA factor, it just seems that Crawford gets the most out of this guy. He's a decent 3-4 defenseman with okay skill. If he re-signed at around the same price, I think that would be a good deal. He would be a guy that along with someone else I could see us deal to Boston for Stuart, however, I think he is going to stay at least the season, and if they lose him in the offseason so be it.

Miller-The guy has lost a step but again he has ties to Crawford so it's kind of iffy. I think they may deal him for virtually nothing just to save money for next year. He is without question the most likely to go. They can only hope that he plays excellent over the next 4 weeks to raise his value.

Tverdovsky-I would not be surprised to see him in Manchester soon (if he doesn't refuse the assignment). I think he is as good as gone. They may have to add a pick to get rid of him but someone will bite.

Visnovsky-Arguably the best defenseman on the team. He is a great value to the team but also would bring back a TREMENDOUS amount in a trade. Very very difficult to say what they will do. If he brings in another Jack MF Johnson type of prospect via a trade, I don't see how Lombardi can turn it down.

Now, factor all this in along with Jack MF Johnson coming out of school in a few months. I think it is all but said and done. If they bring him in, he can pick up the slack of one defenseman that is dealt. Couple that with the fact that we will see Richard Petiot or Peter Harrold again before the season ends, so that may take up another spot. Dallman and Weaver continue to stay where they are.

Overall, I think that Miller is gone, and in all likelihood, one of Tverdovsky, Visnovsky, Sopel or Norstrom is gone. If Visnovsky can fetch someone like Marc Staal, Luc Bourdon, Shea Weber, etc., along with a roster player from that team, I think LA might make that deal.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
If I'm GM I burn up the phone lines until the deadline and see what I can get. If the offer isn't good enough I keep Norstrom and hope Johnson is in LA next season. If I can get a #1 or a young guy with a lot of upside I kiss Matty and his 2 points in the playoffs goodbye. I hope he can "lead" his next team to a little more success than he's had here.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I don't see Norstrom being dealt but it is possible. Most teams are looking for defensemen are looking for offensive D-men this year granted that a good D-man is valuable for a playoff team. I also don't believe his value is what it once was around the league so I don't expect to much in return. That being said...I'm getting kind of tired of the endlesss crappy seasons the kings have been producing over the years. Lombardi needs to make some drastic moves in my opinion. We need a new vibe and look and I think that is going to start being in the works come Feb. 27. Norstrom has been a solid king and I don't blame him for everything that has happened to this organization but we really have not done much in the matty era. If he is a part of the change coming for the kings then I can live with it. Just build us loyal kings fans a good team for once Lombardi, please, its been 13 years since we actually had one.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I don't see Norstrom being dealt but it is possible. Most teams are looking for defensemen are looking for offensive D-men this year granted that a good D-man is valuable for a playoff team. I also don't believe his value is what it once was around the league so I don't expect to much in return. That being said...I'm getting kind of tired of the endlesss crappy seasons the kings have been producing over the years. Lombardi needs to make some drastic moves in my opinion. We need a new vibe and look and I think that is going to start being in the works come Feb. 27. Norstrom has been a solid king and I don't blame him for everything that has happened to this organization but we really have not done much in the matty era. If he is a part of the change coming for the kings then I can live with it. Just build us loyal kings fans a good team for once Lombardi, please, its been 13 years since we actually had one.
Couldn't agree more. Leave the warrior nickname for guys like Mark Messier who won cups and came up big in big games.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Michigan Wolverine

If the money we'd save from his contract would be the difference in some major offseason acquisitions, that's sufficient reason to move him.

With his contract, I don't think he'll net such a huge return to make a big difference to us, unfortunately.

And while I understand the idea of loyalty to a loyal player, it's clear that this team needs to divorce itself from the remnants of its losing past. Here's a captain whose team fell apart in the locker room last year, and the one dimension he did bring is now suspect. I don't know that keeping him as an expensive tutor for the yet-unsigned Jack Johnson is worth it, and even if our defense gets worse without him... were we planning on winning anything this year or next?

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Osprey

Ray Ferraro was talking about the Rangers' soft defense during the intermission today and it got me thinking that the Rags might have an interest in re-acquiring the player that they drafted.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine View Post
If the money we'd save from his contract would be the difference in some major offseason acquisitions, that's sufficient reason to move him.

With his contract, I don't think he'll net such a huge return to make a big difference to us, unfortunately.

And while I understand the idea of loyalty to a loyal player, it's clear that this team needs to divorce itself from the remnants of its losing past. Here's a captain whose team fell apart in the locker room last year, and the one dimension he did bring is now suspect. I don't know that keeping him as an expensive tutor for the yet-unsigned Jack Johnson is worth it, and even if our defense gets worse without him... were we planning on winning anything this year or next?
All good points but make no mistake, the Kings have failed Norstrom - Norstrom has not failed the Kings.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Norstrom and Conroy for Tyutin and Hall. I wouldn't oppose that trade!

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
Unless a team is seriously willing to overpay, I say keep him:

Jack Johnson needs a mentor besides Blake

The defensive players we pick up from trading Sopel, Tverdovsky (please), and Miller will need to be taught.

Slow as he may be, he's a fricken WARRIOR and I don't want him traded.
I agree with this. Matty plays 100% every game. There are few players on the Kings that that can be said about.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:55 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

My serious answer to your serious question is... What's the offer for Norstrom?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Captain Ron

If I got the right offer for Norstrom I would trade him in a second......I would do that with probably anyone not named Kopitar though.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:43 PM
KINGLEWOOD

Would I trade Norstrom, yes I would.

Just like the majority here, ofcourse it would have to be for the right price. Honestly though I don't know why some people critisize him so. Maybe he's not the ideal captain in that he's not a superstar or maybe even a star in the league, but no one can question his heart, and his willingness to battle every night. Yesterday I saw Norstrom block two shots back to back trying to make things easier for a rookie goaltender. I've seen Norstrom take a slapshot in the mouth, get up spit out a mouths full of blood maybe a tooth or two and skate away on his own before the trainer could even make it half way to him. I know there are lots of players who might do the same in the league but he's worn that C with pride, I think he exemplifies exactly what a leader should be.

IMO you don't just trade away your captain, and Matty desearves to atleast sit down with DL and express weither or not he would mind going to a playoff team with a chance of winning or if he beleives in this organization and the direction in which they are headed.

KINGLEWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Ray Ferraro was talking about the Rangers' soft defense during the intermission today and it got me thinking that the Rags might have an interest in re-acquiring the player that they drafted.
NYR's are also said to be looking for a 2nd line center.
Norstrom and Conroy for Prucha, Kaspairitis (salary dump) and a draft pick or Sanguinetti?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
NYR's are also said to be looking for a 2nd line center.
Norstrom and Conroy for Prucha, Kaspairitis (salary dump) and a draft pick or Sanguinetti?
They wouldn't want to give up Prucha or Sanguinetti. I think Kaspar is a gutless puke who's lost all of his effectiveness.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
If I got the right offer for Norstrom I would trade him in a second......I would do that with probably anyone not named Kopitar though.
I'm sure that you'd do the same thing with Kopitar. So would I and everyone else here... but that "right price" would be extraordinary, so it's not likely to happen, no. I just think that it sounds a little disgenuine when people say that they would never trade such and such player. Everyone has a price; it's just that the players that we like the most have the greatest prices.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
They wouldn't want to give up Prucha or Sanguinetti. I think Kaspar is a gutless puke who's lost all of his effectiveness.
We don't want any part of Kaspar-he's a ghost.

Old
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Fat Elvis

My proposal;

Conroy+Matty+Tuk to Nash for Parent+Klein+Upshall

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Trading your captain sends the wrong message to your young core players. It would be a grave mistake to disrupt the psyche of the young players, who do play with confidence and energy.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Trading your captain sends the wrong message to your young core players. It would be a grave mistake to disrupt the psyche of the young players, who do play with confidence and energy.
What type of message are you sending the young players with a record of 16-24-6? Where's the leadership in a team that is 8 games below .500?

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:52 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
What type of message are you sending the young players with a record of 16-24-6? Where's the leadership in a team that is 8 games below .500?
We should find the goaltending before we go looking for leadership.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Leaders step up when there needs to be leading. I haven't seen a leader on this team all season.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Leaders step up when there needs to be leading. I haven't seen a leader on this team all season.
If all aspects of this team were functioning, then, yes, you could say that leadership has been lacking. But when you have 2 or 3 areas in which players chronically aren't performing up to specs, you need to look past leadership. If you see a car crash, you can assume that it was the driver's fault...but if you see brake fluid spewing from the undercarriage, it should tip you off to a greater problem.

I will admit that Matty is more of a lead by example type of player, and, thus, might not be the best candidate to start a rallying cry if one were needed. But, in the case of the Kings this year, I think much more than that would have been required.