HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Objective and intelligent discussion about whether the Kings should trade Norstrom...

Old
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I agree with all of that, but at the same time, is he the best guy to be leading a young, losing team in the first place? I mean, if I were picking a leader for a young team, I'd want to pick a guy that's been around and seen it all. A winner, because the main goal of this season (at least from my point of view) has been to teach the kids how to perform, and how to make plays that can lead the team to victory. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but would anyone mention Norstrom in a conversation about guys that have been winners.

I doubt it. I like the guy as a player, and think he's a good fit for the team from that standpoint, but he's not really a leader.

As far as trading him goes, I look at it this way. Will he be around when the team is in a position to start winning in a few years? Will he be playing at the same level that he is now? Will he take a paycut? Can he be used as an asset to get younger players, who could contribute when the team is ready to win? Now, as far as those questions go, I think that my position on the issue is quite clear. He won't play forever, so why not use him as a trading piece before he deteriorates further and lessens in value?

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I agree with all of that, but at the same time, is he the best guy to be leading a young, losing team in the first place? I mean, if I were picking a leader for a young team, I'd want to pick a guy that's been around and seen it all. A winner, because the main goal of this season (at least from my point of view) has been to teach the kids how to perform, and how to make plays that can lead the team to victory. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but would anyone mention Norstrom in a conversation about guys that have been winners.

I doubt it. I like the guy as a player, and think he's a good fit for the team from that standpoint, but he's not really a leader.

As far as trading him goes, I look at it this way. Will he be around when the team is in a position to start winning in a few years? Will he be playing at the same level that he is now? Will he take a paycut? Can he be used as an asset to get younger players, who could contribute when the team is ready to win? Now, as far as those questions go, I think that my position on the issue is quite clear. He won't play forever, so why not use him as a trading piece before he deteriorates further and lessens in value?
Blake is a winner...the team's still languishing.

Norstrom isn't a winner (despite having a cup ring) but he exemplifies the approach to the game that you would want your young players to take.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for the right price, but DL has said before that he is the type of player that NHL team's need at crunch time...this leads me to believe that he'll be kept if only as a development tool.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote