HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Game Analysis of "Breakfast with Dean Lombardi"

Old
01-12-2007, 10:57 AM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Pre-Game Analysis of "Breakfast with Dean Lombardi"

On Saturday morning, in an effort to keep as many people as possible away from the television, where the Kings will be facing former Coach Andy Murray and the streaking (winners of 8 of their last 11) St. Louis Blues, Dean Lombardi will be holding court with a group of fans that, if history repeats itself, will ask inane questions, repeat questions already asked, and lob more softballs than a girls little league team ever had to face.

There will be the smart-alec fan who will begin the proceedings with "Why wasn't Mathieu Garon given the number one goaltending job at the outset of the season?" To which Dean Lombardi will generally tapdance and offer the cliches about how signing Dan Cloutier (not mentioning the extension, at first --- permutations of this same question will take up much of the breakfast anyway... was a move designed to give the Kings veteran leadership (along with Thornton, McCauley and Willsie...) and that from all reports Dan was healthy and ready... but things haven't worked out as planned, and the team has always had faith in Garon, and now with him getting an opportunity to play because of Dan's injury, he's shown that he can handle the responsibility etc. etc.

Then there will be the question that will have a majority of the attendees voicing their approval loudly... "Why is Jason LaBarbera in Manchester, and not in Los Angeles?" As if the fans had not heard the story of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, and the waiver issues that basically have the guy trapped down there, left to make the all-star team, and lead a surprisingly mediocre Monarchs team to victory more often than not. Lombardi will explain in detail, all the red tape and then point out that the organ-eye-zation is happy that Jason has maintained a professional attitude and successfully raised his game to allow the Monarchs to thrive in the AHL this season.

Subsequest questions will include:

Why can't Dan Cloutier go to Manchester so Jason LaBarbera can play with the Kings?
Will Dan Cloutier play again this season?
We think the tandem of Garon and LaBarbera is better than Cloutier and Garon, so can we have that?
Can you trade Dan Cloutier?
If you recall Jason LaBarbera, can he be any worse than Dan Cloutier?
How's Sean Avery's double-secret probation doing? (at which point, DL will take a phone call from another NHL GM, and come back to the stage forgetting to answer... next question please)
Was that someone offering you a first round pick for Dan Cloutier?

You get the idea...

What SHOULD be asked of Dean Lombardi...

When you came into this season, you made some moves that BEGAN a process that you knew would take some time to officially mold the team in your image. Looking back on the past four months, have you moved closer to, or further from the team you expect to see competing on a night in and night out basis, and based on what you're serving up to the less than sold out crowds on a game in/game out basis, what will you consider a "failure" in your first season as GM come April?
(thought: you KNOW the team is not going to make the playoffs. Will the "best effort" provide some miracle wins, and maybe even a hot spurt between now and game 82, causing the Kings to finish in the "black hole" that you spoke so poorly of at the onset of the season.)

How has the salary cap affected the way you do business as the GM of the Los Angeles Kings vs. the way you did business as the GM of the San Jose Sharks?

As this team will obviously be sellers by the trading deadline, how do you propose to maximize the value of players that will not be playing for the 2007-2008 Los Angeles Kings, and don't you think there are a host of other NHL GM's that see your predicament and will be lowballing you at every turn?

and, of course,

WHY ON EARTH WAS HE DESERVING OF A TWO YEAR EXTENSION before he proved he could stop ANYTHING smaller than a beach ball

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
WHY ON EARTH WAS HE DESERVING OF A TWO YEAR EXTENSION before he proved he could stop ANYTHING smaller than a beach ball
Answer: "Well, to be frank, that's the last time I drink before I enter into contract negotiations."

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Quattro

yeah, I'm half thinking of not going just because there will be so many idiotic Cloutier "questions"...

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:22 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
yeah, I'm half thinking of not going just because there will be so many idiotic Cloutier "questions"...

With the announcement today that Cloutier will most probably be sidelined for the remainder of the season due to his hip surgery, Lombardi will be able to cite him as a non-issue, and that's poor timing to say the LEAST.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
With the announcement today that Cloutier will most probably be sidelined for the remainder of the season due to his hip surgery, Lombardi will be able to cite him as a non-issue...
Except for the remaining years on his contract...

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Except for the remaining years on his contract...
Which is good enough (or bad enough) for the Kings to have a shot at drafting John Tavares.
http://www.oshawagenerals.com/meet/p...le.php?ID=1800

They really have to tank it to land Tavares who will be the #1 North American prospect in the 2009 draft.

Old
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

While Lombardi isn't a lifetime subscriber to the International House of Clichés like Dave Taylor was, I still wouldn't expect much candor tomorrow.

...although if I went, I'd be sorely tempted to ask how he felt heading the least favored division of AEG and to see, since most major operations have one, if they had any plans to form a marketing department for the Kings.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
riseandfall9

My questions will be:

If a player is making 500,000 to 6,000,000 dollars a season is it not reasonable to expect a decent pass out of the neutral zone?

When are players going to be held accountable for making a bad play?

Why does Armstrong old dusty 34 year old butt keep playing 20 mins a night?

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post

Because someone needs to pass to Frolov and Conroy can't seem to do it this season.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Why not move the Kings to Kansas City, rent free and BRING ON THE PENGUINS

the natural rivalry between Andy Murray's St. Louis Blues and YOUR KANSAS CITY KINGS will be paramount for the franchise's success in the heartland

Old
01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
tomd

of course I would also think a very legitimate question would be to explain his decision to let the scouting staffing go (and the timing of their release is also curious). naturally, he'll sidestep those questions. he might, however, address who will be in charge of the new scouting staff (or when such announcement can be expected).

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Johnny Utah

Someone should def ask why he signed a guy to a two-year deal who is a UFA and has to prove himself in his contract year and coming off a injury riddled season.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:55 PM
TubbyTerrion*

who's going to ask when Palffy, Allison and Deadmarsh are coming back?

who's going to ask WHY Marcel Dionne doesn't have a "mini-jersey" and, furthermore, why is he not among the people listed as honoring Luc at the Hoity Toity Hilton the day after his jersey retirement?

Old
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Someone should ask Lombardi if he misses San Jose

Old
01-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Venom_17

Good post Tubby.

I expect DL to man up more than DT ever did and actually give some straight-edge, honest answers.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Good post Tubby.

I expect DL to man up more than DT ever did and actually give some straight-edge, honest answers.

i expect the rhetoric will no doubt be eruditely platitudinous... which is pablumatic at best.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I'll be there, and I hope there aren't too many lame questions asked.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I'll be there, and I hope there aren't too many lame questions asked.
I dont even go anymore because of the dumb *** questions...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I dont even go anymore because of the dumb *** questions...
The only one I went to a guy stood up and proceeded to say he's been a fan for 20 years and he wonders why Steve Avery is still on the team.

Ah good times. That was when CBGB was begging to get the Mic and the Kings staff wouldn't get anywhere near him with the Mic.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
My questions will be:

If a player is making 500,000 to 6,000,000 dollars a season is it not reasonable to expect a decent pass out of the neutral zone?

When are players going to be held accountable for making a bad play?

Armstrong's 33, has 29 points in 40 games, and hasn't played 20 minutes in a single game this year. You might want to think of another question (or at least modify your original question).

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Armstrong's 33, has 29 points in 40 games, and hasn't played 20 minutes in a single game this year. You might want to think of another question (or at least modify your original question).

LMAO - classic

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i expect the rhetoric will no doubt be eruditely platitudinous... which is pablumatic at best.
Your mom got you a dictionary for Christmas? Way to go!

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Osprey

I can't get even one-quarter of the way through Tubby's post. What was the point of that? Besides, I recall the last Breakfast with the GM to be the best one in a long time. Lombardi was very candid. It wasn't anything like Taylor's breakfasts. It seems as though Tubby just wants to complain, whether it's warranted or not or too early or not.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 08:45 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I can't get even one-quarter of the way through Tubby's post. What was the point of that? Besides, I recall the last Breakfast with the GM to be the best one in a long time. Lombardi was very candid. It wasn't anything like Taylor's breakfasts. It seems as though Tubby just wants to complain, whether it's warranted or not or too early or not.
yeah, you're right. you're always right

I didn't say Lombardi wasn't candid. I said the people that go (and I have plenty of experience being in those crowds) ask stupid questions that you already know the answers to.

Not unlike you having to post this just to be contrary.

Old
01-12-2007, 08:49 PM
riseandfall9

In all honestly. If you didnt look at my original post about Armstrong and see that it was a non serious question then you are just plain stupid. Honestly. I dont like Norstrom and you dont like me because of it thats fine. But dont try and take little tid bits and take everything I say seriously. And if you dont like me feel free to put me on ignore. And if you dont want to put me on ignore, I suggest you grow the **** up and be Civil about all issues.

Last edited by riseandfall9: 01-12-2007 at 08:57 PM.
riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote