Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Maxime Ouellet: info needed, please

Old
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Gabey8

vCash: 500
Maxime Ouellet: info needed, please

On Tuesday, I read that Maxime Ouellet was about to sign in Switzerland.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any transactions on eurohockey.net yet, so I don't know which team he might sign with, or when he might arrive.

Has anyone heard anything about this, or is there any online site (regardless of language... thank goodness for altavista ) with information about this potential signing?

Thanks.

Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:06 AM
jonas234567

Best site about hockey in Switzerland is hockeyfans.ch, but there has been no notice about Ouellet yet. I've also read about that he has left Canada and went to Switzerland, but there are no rumour yet to which team he could go although there are several teams who'd need another goalie.

jonas234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:21 PM
touffe

At this time Maxime Ouellet is in Quebec city, practicing with the Quebec Radio X team in LNAH hockey league waiting for some offers.

touffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by touffe View Post
At this time Maxime Ouellet is in Quebec city, practicing with the Quebec Radio X team in LNAH hockey league waiting for some offers.
I think he's going to be waiting for some time. I don't know what happened to him. He had a lot of promise, but just didn't pan out.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Ouellet has a new club. He joins the Kassel Huskies. They´re playing 2nd league in Germany

http://www.kassel-huskies.de/

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
Ouellet has a new club. He joins the Kassel Huskies. They´re playing 2nd league in Germany

http://www.kassel-huskies.de/
what? that's my team and i didn't know that yet. what a shame.

now i'm able to watch this guy every week, although i kind of doubt that he's a big help. i'd hoped for a better goalie.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
pelts35.com

Wow, Ouellet is playing in the German minor league?

I'm stunned at how low his career has sunk.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Wow, Ouellet is playing in the German minor league?

I'm stunned at how low his career has sunk.
well, actually kassel is 1st in the 2nd league with around 20 (forgot the current standing) points and it would be a sensation if they would not be promoted to the DEL for next season. so if he's able to impress in kassel, he could at least start a solid career in europe. but somehow i'm not even sure he's able to get the starting job here. but we'll see soon.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:42 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
well, actually kassel is 1st in the 2nd league with around 20 (forgot the current standing) points and it would be a sensation if they would not be promoted to the DEL for next season. so if he's able to impress in kassel, he could at least start a solid career in europe. but somehow i'm not even sure he's able to get the starting job here. but we'll see soon.
Another Medvedev except not as good.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Gabey8

Thanks for the updates. Count this post as a vote of confidence, from a fan who's both watched him at every opportunity, and tracked his career, since he turned pro.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabey8 View Post
Thanks for the updates. Count this post as a vote of confidence, from a fan who's both watched him at every opportunity, and tracked his career, since he turned pro.
Gabey, how can you in good conscience, give Ouellet a vote of confidence? He has done nothing in the NHL and his play since his All-Star season has been abysmal.

Old
02-02-2007, 04:00 PM
sherbrooke

Quote:
Gabey, how can you in good conscience, give Ouellet a vote of confidence? He has done nothing in the NHL and his play since his All-Star season has been abysmal.
I can, and in good conscience, after following his play with Portland and the Caps. I'm not saying he didn't have some shaky games, but I also think a lot of the negative reports about his play and confidence have been largely overblown. In many of Portland's losses, he managed to keep the team in the game and within one or two goals (from the radio broadcasts, at least, it sounded like he was carrying his fair share of the load, and often more than that--and I probably tuned into 75% of the games). Tim Army's defensive system gave him a lot of support, but the shooters weren't getting the job done at the other end of the ice--the goalie can only take so much blame when the team can only get something like 2 goals per game (and several of your points leaders are simultaneously out with long-term injuries). Even during one of their worst losing streaks, Ouellet was earning stars of the game in losing efforts. Just as the team was starting to gel, and his confidence seemed to be improving, the high ankle sprain happened. Not to take anything away from Daubenspeck's play (because he did a fantastic job in Ouellet's absence), but I think the end results would have been similar if Ouellet had been able to continue in net.

In backing up the Caps, he had a few bad games, in which his head clearly wasn't in it. At the same time, the Caps defense was virtually non-existent (even if it's not exactly impressive now, it was much, much worse back then...this was before guys like Eminger were starting to emerge as legitimate NHL-ers; plus the core of the team had been dumped, and you had a bunch of guys who really hadn't developed chemistry yet. Watching those games, there would almost never be someone to clear rebounds after the goalie made the initial save...and the turnovers were just mind-blowing). It just compounded the problems of a young goalie going through a rough stretch (having recovered from a bad injury not that long before, and coming just out of the off-season). To me, it looked like nothing to worry about. Had the Caps coaching staff backed him up and let him work through it, I think you'd be seeing him play a respectable number of games behind Kolzig today. But Johnson became available, and they decided to jump on that instead (the Caps goalie coach has always been very enamoured of Johnson's reflex abilities--Ouellet, of course, plays a much different style, and that might have partially worked against him). Daubenspeck's signing with Hershey ruled out the #2 spot there, leaving Ouellet a man without a country, so to speak.

He was working diligently in the Vancouver system to improve his stance, and to my mind it was working, especially in his last few games with the Moose. Unfortunately, the only way to be sure was by giving him ice time, and that wasn't going to happen as long as they had other goalies who they already knew could carry the load. I watched the few games he played with Vancouver, and the losses were due to a poor overall team effort--I couldn't fault Ouellet overly much for most of the goals.

If you're not looking at the complete picture, and you're just looking at the W-L column (and taking the media reports of lack of confidence out of context)--then, yes, I can see why teams were reluctant to pick him up this year. I am surprised that someone hasn't signed him before now. But I suspect the reason isn't any more sinister than the fact that he's had to ride the pine so much since leaving the Caps (largely, for reasons that seem to have little to do with his abilities). When given the chance, he's shown that he is willing to put in the practice time towards improving; so it doesn't seem to be a question of work ethic. Meanwhile, other prospects who have had worse slumps are getting regular work without any trouble. Ouellet just seems to have been unlucky enough to deal with management types who keep giving him the shaft, at a time when there's still a lot of fallout over the new CBA with teams' salary structure. At his age and with his experience, he falls into that salary range where the amount he'd likely command isn't seen as worth the risk. He's not the only player sitting on the AHL/NHL bubble to have this issue this year--it has just been harder for him than for most.

It may take a couple of years in Europe, but I think some North American team will end up with a heck of a bargain in eventually signing him (assuming he gets adequate ice time there and is able to maintain his form). I could be wrong, of course, but I haven't yet seen evidence from Ouellet himself to make me think that a comeback is out of the question. At the very least, he should be able to carve out a solid career overseas.

sherbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Gabey8

Thank you, Sherbrooke. You pretty much made all the points I would have liked to cover. Since you follow teams that Max played for after he left Philadelphia, I'm hoping that will give evidence that the same qualities that earned him fans here have continued to garner him support ever since.

I'd just like to add that since he was traded from Philadelphia, I've been extremely proactive about tracking his progress via the internet (print articles and game cybercasts), Center Ice telecasts when he's had NHL starts, and to the limited extent that I've been able, in person. My post wasn't based on a vague, "Oh, yeah, I remember him. He used to be our top prospect. He rocked back then, so I think he'll be great now."

I think if he has an opportunity to play regularly, without the Sword of Damocles of "one bad game means a benching for at least 3-4 weeks" hanging over his head (see: last season), the form he showed in the year he broke the Portland shutout record will return.

MHO. But I'm confident enough in my POV to state it out loud (or in this case, in print), and stand behind it.

Old
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

There myst be more to this story. He must have some bad habits or something

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:08 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil devil View Post
There myst be more to this story. He must have some bad habits or something
Why do you say that? The goaltending position could be the most difficult to make the jump from NCAA/juniors to the minor leagues to the NHL. Ouellet is hardly in the minority of highly touted goaltending prospects that didn't make it in the NHL.

Right off the bat, the numbers are stacked against them. While there are 12 forward spots and 6 defensive spots on the game night roster, there are only 2 spots for goalies. The influx of good European goaltenders has made it even harder.

I remember when the Flyers traded him for Adam Oates that I thought it was one of the worst trades in Philadelphia hockey history. It turns out that it was a completely irrelevant trade given Ouellet's lack of success at the NHL level.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
zecke26

if the ticker is correct, then oullet played his first 20 minutes for kassel. the huskies were leading 6-0 after 2 periods so they gave oullet the last period. he let 2 goals in for a 6-2 win. will keep you up to date about how he's doing here if you want it.

it's rumored that he'll start on sunday.

Old
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Gabey8

Yes, please do keep us up to date! Thank you for the offer.

If there are any sites that offer real-time game info, can you please post the link?

I wish every team would install what the Espoo Blues have (or had): a live, in-house camera that a user could control to take still pictures of the game.

Anyway, thanks for the update and go, Max!

Old
03-11-2007, 10:45 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabey8 View Post
Yes, please do keep us up to date! Thank you for the offer.
no problem. he will be the 3rd goalie in the play-offs (starting next friday) behind elwing and haetinen. will just play in case of injuries.
kassel is heading into the POs as number 1 team!

Quote:
If there are any sites that offer real-time game info, can you please post the link?
nothing like that available. it's sometimes hard to find a liveticker with some information. since he's starting in an away game i won't be able to watch him. maybe he'll get his chance in the POs, then i will for sure watch him since i'll be at the arena to watch every home game, maybe 1 or 2 away games as well.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:23 PM
zecke26

ouellet didn't start the game, but he came in after half of the game was played. huskies were leading 3-2 at that moment.

weisswasser just tied the game in the 40th minute with 5on3. period should be over in a few seconds.

Old
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
zecke26

huskies won 4-3. nothing special was mentioned about ouellet in the liveticker, but maybe i get further information about him tomorrow in the newspaper and in another board where some fans who made the trip will post.

so far he has 3 goals against in 50min of play.

Old
03-12-2007, 08:04 AM
pelts35.com

So Ouellet agreed to go to overseas to be a third string goalie??? Pretty amazing how far a "can't miss" prospect has fallen in such a short time.

Old
03-13-2007, 02:04 PM
zecke26

newspapers and boards brought nothing new about ouellet.

Old
03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
sherbrooke

Quote:
So Ouellet agreed to go to overseas to be a third string goalie??? Pretty amazing how far a "can't miss" prospect has fallen in such a short time.
It was either go to Kassel or stay home as a practice goalie in the LNAH, since several other European offers apparently fell through. I'm sure he'd rather be somewhere else, but a job is a job, and there's no shame in doing what he has to do to stay in the game.

Give him credit--he could have called it quits when things got rough. Agreeing to Kassel's terms shows he still has commitment and the right kind of attitude, partly what made him a first-round pick to begin with. Being able to come back and play even limited minutes, no matter which team or league (or how late in the season), is something of a minor victory, considering all that's happened to him. It's a step in the right direction.

Thanks for looking for updates, zecke26--much appreciated!

sherbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
zecke26

i could imagine that if kassel is able to go back to the DEL and if he's able to show what he's made of in practice, he could be a starter here next season. there's no doubt that he's better than the current two goalies. but kassel played with both the whole season and they're willing to give them the games in the POs as well, because both have earned it.
for ouellet it's a chance to show that he's still a good goalie and practice on a very high level (kassel is working on DEL level, they want to get back there no matter how hard they have to work for it).

it's for sure better than being in the LNAH.

if everything goes well, he can earn some credits next season in the DEL or in another european league.

Old
03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
zecke26

kassel swept regensburg 4-0 and advanced easily to the semi-finals. next opponent is munich and it'll be best of 5 from now on. markus haettinen (starting goalie) is injured, so sebastian elwing will start. ouellet could be the backup, but the huskies would have to bench one foreigner since only 5 foreigners are allowed to play. justin harney (defense) could be benched or adam ondraschek (from the juniors) could be backup. on sunday we'll know more about ouellet's situation.