HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ten Reasons Koivu should be Dealt

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Ten Reasons Koivu should be Dealt

1. To send a message to the team: if you work hard game-in, game-out, you don't belong on this team.

2. To make room for Montreal's very own portuguese-Gretzky: Mike Ribeiro!

3. To give a chance to more kids from the AHL to play, despite the fact that there'll be no quality veterans for them to play with.

4. In order to pick up a player like Keith Primeau. Let's forget the fact that Primeau's a UFA at season's end, earns more than Koivu while providing half the offense, is seen as one of the worst leaders in the NHL and has been labelled as a cancer in every city he's ever played in. But this is a player Montreal needs because he's big,

5. To prove that Koivu's truly the divider on the team and the reason why the Habs aren't that good of a team. If Koivu were dealt, we'd start to see the team playing with such unity and passion. Perreault, Audette, Juneau and Dackell would revert back to their pre-Koivu days where they would drop the gloves for one another, and battle hard each game.

5. Because Montreal would get a superstar prospect in return.

6. Because teams don't realize Koivu's small and fragile, so they'll deal Shane Doan + a prospect to get him.

7. To give Rivet a chance to flourish and become the $3M defenseman we know he is, but Koivu's holding down the man ....

8. To open up salary room to pick up Turgeon. We never should have moved him to begin with. Montreal needs more soft players who disappear in clutch situations.

9. To give the captaincy to someone more deserving. Let's say Souray because he's played a good dozen games for us this year. Let's forget the fact that two months ago, everyone on this board minus a handful of posters thought Souray was at best a #5 defenseman who didn't show up every night. Or we can just give it to our pride and joy Ribeiro, who couldn't crack a contender's lineup.

And finally, the most important message trading Koivu will send...

10. To prove once and for all being captain in Montreal is not an honour, it's simply a tactful way to tell you to pack your bags.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Habsolution

Beautiful, simply beautiful

Old
12-01-2003, 07:43 PM
habsfan19

well said

lets see if it happens...hehe

there's so many pros and cons of trading Koivu, probably more pros since all sorts of stories have come out in the last few weeks

we haven't traded a captain in a few years so maybe it's time to do it

I like Koivu but he hasn't been himself yet this year, missing training camp did not help

Old
12-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Habsolution

You forgot 1 reason though !

So we can free up the 2nd center position in order to give it back to Perreault and free up money in order to re-sign him for the next 5 seasons.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
You're on fire tonight Mike... And you're making a lot of sense too!

Old
12-01-2003, 07:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Old
12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Maxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
1. To send a message to the team: if you work hard game-in, game-out, you don't belong on this team.

3. To give a chance to more kids from the AHL to play, despite the fact that there'll be no quality veterans for them to play with.

4. In order to pick up a player like Keith Primeau. Let's forget the fact that Primeau's a UFA at season's end, earns more than Koivu while providing half the offense, is seen as one of the worst leaders in the NHL and has been labelled as a cancer in every city he's ever played in. But this is a player Montreal needs because he's big,

5. To prove that Koivu's truly the divider on the team and the reason why the Habs aren't that good of a team. If Koivu were dealt, we'd start to see the team playing with such unity and passion. Perreault, Audette, Juneau and Dackell would revert back to their pre-Koivu days where they would drop the gloves for one another, and battle hard each game.

6. Because teams don't realize Koivu's small and fragile, so they'll deal Shane Doan + a prospect to get him.

7. To give Rivet a chance to flourish and become the $3M defenseman we know he is, but Koivu's holding down the man ....

8. To open up salary room to pick up Turgeon. We never should have moved him to begin with. Montreal needs more soft players who disappear in clutch situations.

9. To give the captaincy to someone more deserving. Let's say Souray because he's played a good dozen games for us this year. Let's forget the fact that two months ago, everyone on this board minus a handful of posters thought Souray was at best a #5 defenseman who didn't show up every night. Or we can just give it to our pride and joy Ribeiro, who couldn't crack a contender's lineup.

10. To prove once and for all being captain in Montreal is not an honour, it's simply a tactful way to tell you to pack your bags.
You should get a job on the Letterman show writing the top then list, this one is classic!

Koivu for Viktor Kozlov and Horton!

Old
12-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Hey I smiled while reading your post Mike8, but I trully laughed out loud when I saw the association of Juneau, Perreault, Audette and Dackell with the terms "unity" and "passion".

But those are all good reasons to trade him you're right. So what are you waiting for Gainey? Trade him for Primeau so we can win the Cup already!

Old
12-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Natural Habs Fan

I'm pretty sure that I read Gainey was pleased with the improvement in play from Ryder and Zednik since Koivu returned.

If anything, it's probably guys like Juneau & the other lazy players on the team (Audette, Quintal, Perrault) that are destroying any sense of camaraderie that exists.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
Can we sticky this?

Old
12-01-2003, 09:15 PM
HABitude

Frankly that's a good post Mike8. I don't recognize my ideas in that post but it's surely entertaining. I laught. A nice caricature (of myself ?).

Already a classic.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playr050
Can we sticky this?

Old
12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

Brilliant - simply brilliant .......... Gainey, I hope you're reading this!!! TRADE KOIVU NOW!!! How many more reasons do you need?!?! :mad:

:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playr050
Can we sticky this?
Can we HOF this?

Old
12-01-2003, 10:28 PM
goalchenyuk

your nickname is MIKE8 , i suggest to change it for MICKEY (MOUSE)

Old
12-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Darz

Classic stuff Mike8!!!

Old
12-02-2003, 04:05 AM
habfan4

Old
12-02-2003, 04:31 AM
Stephan Lebeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
He was being sarcastic.. =[
lol.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:57 AM
theo6060

Very nice post. When reading the thread title, I wasn't sure it was worth my time. I'm glad I did.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:24 AM
NYR1084

Send a message via AIM to NYR1084

Old
12-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Russeltown

Yeah, very very nice post!

Let's trade Koivu then!

Old
12-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Frankly that's a good post Mike8. I don't recognize my ideas in that post but it's surely entertaining. I laught. A nice caricature (of myself ?).

Already a classic.
If you don't see yourself in the post then you are delusional.

Great post Mike8! Couldn't of said it better myself.

Couple of more thoughts:

1. I really believe that there is a Theo-Koivu struggle being played in the french-media. Many of the so-called journalist are very close to Theo and Ribiero and see Koivu as rival. With Theo it's about popularity. Notice that since his cancer, the media has been very tough on Koivu.
- Bergeron saying on the night of his return that Koivu is a selfish player
- Fournier saying a couple of weeks ago that Koivu is the reason the Habs have been struggling since 1996
- Rinfret - well there are too many to list
- Perron - worst captain in recent history
- Tremblay - selfish player
Is there a trend? You bet and my sense is that Koivu had become the most popular player on the Habs and that didn't sit well with the F-media. Does one remember the standing ovation Koivu got on his return. This did not sit well with the Theo cheerleaders. Quck question, does anyone remember any of the above mentioned buffoons ever saying something negative towards Theo, even though he had a sub-par season last year after signing his big contract? Or that he is still not performing to his 2002 level? Or that if any french journalist is choosing the three stars, Theo will be the first star EVEN IF GARON IS IN NETS? After being linked to biker related events and illegal money laudering activities from individuals who had access to his financial transactions?

Also, getting rid of Koivu will open up room for Theo's sidekick, Ribiero. Now you have to admit that he is playing better than last year but to hype him as a first line center is hallucinating. But that's what the F-media have been doing for the last couple of years.

2. Everyone is talking about Koivu's leadership, citing numerous quotes, but not one from a player. Wait, but we do have a quote from a player. Unfortunately, it does not involve Saku so the F-media disregards it. How come Juneau's comments from a few days ago got no play. (His comments stated that maybe the french players were spending too much time together and it was not helping team unity.) Too me this is a very pertinent quote, coming from someone from WITHIN the dressing room, not from some zenophobic reporter.

I find it very interesting that the Habs fortunes have changed significantly as the political and social tones have changed in this province. I'm not passing judgement only stating realities. It used to be that the Habs went after excellence, choosing the best management, best players irregardless of language. In our current context Teo Blake and Scotty Bowman could not coach this team. Sam Pollock could not be GM. If you are going to be a captain, the number one priority is language. And lets not kid ourself. Koivu's biggest problem is that after 9 years in Montreal he still does not speak french.

Old
12-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Démon Blond

I wasn't sure at first if you were serious or not... but the unity thing with Audette got me on the right track

I agree, this beauty deserves a sticky!

Old
12-04-2003, 05:02 AM
Joe Cole

When I started reading your post I got to the point of "Montreal's very own portuguese-Gretzky" and I was ready to type a furious post, then I scrolled down....and man....you made me laugh.

Great post.

I can't wait to watch all my old highlight reels to see those clips of Juneau punishing a young George Laraque and Bob Probert.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:52 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot
Habnot you should delete your last post. I don't know on which planet you're living or what stuff you take, but you are making a delirium of paranoïa about the french media conspiration and the Theodore clique. I told it before, it's BS. I must admit you have a good talent with inventing stories. You could have a successful career in writing scenarios for Hollywood. The problem is that you really beleive your paranoid ideas.

If I was on your place, I would be embarassed. And please don't start talking about politics.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Habnot you should delete your last post. I don't know on which planet you're living or what stuff you take, but you are making a delirium of paranoïa about the french media conspiration and the Theodore clique. I told it before, it's BS. I must admit you have a good talent with inventing stories. You could have a successful career in writing scenarios for Hollywood. The problem is that you really beleive your paranoid ideas.

If I was on your place, I would be embarassed. And please don't start talking about politics.
I think he may have a point.

Bergeron, Tremblay and Cloutier are friends with Theodore. They go out golfing regularly during the summer. Bergeron said so very often on 110%. It is a well known fact.

Another fact is that A LOT of crap has been said on Koivu by those same people. And it's hard to understand why because Koivu has been the most consistent habs players over the past 7-8 seasons. At least when he is healthy. As for Theodore he didn't train enough and partied all summer (Theo himself admitted it) after getting this huge contract. He disrespected Savard, the fans and his teamates yet you'd NEVER hear that from the mouth of Bergy, Tremblay, Rinfret and co. Why ? Because they are his friends. When Theo wasn't playing well last year they'd just shrug and say that the reason why the team wasn't performing was Koivu's lack of leadership. But last year Koivu was producing at a very good pace without real 1st liners (I'm not sure I consider last year Zednik as a legit 1st line winger) so they didn't have much of a point bashing him. Now at the beginning of the season before training camp Koivu had not signed yet. First thing you were hearing was that captains weren't supposed to do that, bla bla bla. He never missed a day of training camp SO BIG DEAL ! 2 years ago when Theo signed at around the same date than Koivu did we hear such crap ? No it was Savard must sign Theo. Not the other way around. Then Koivu gets injured first game of the pre-season. He misses a good part of the action and can't really get in game shape. So when he comes back he is not nearly as productive because he's a little rusty. It didn't take long before those clowns over at 110% made a show to despise Koivu's lack of scoring and leadership abilities.

Those are all facts. Koivu has to be freakin' perfect or questions are raised VERY quickly. But Theo can be crappy for a whole year after signing a huge contract and it doesn't matter. Now if you consider that Koivu is receiving the same treatment than Theo by the guys at 110% you are the one living on another planet.

Closed Thread