HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kopitar as Captain??

Old
01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
kingsfann805

vCash: 500
Kopitar as Captain??

Just wanted to gauge what some fans feel is the possibility of Kopitar becoming captain of the kings. Do you feel he has the POTENTIAL to one day be captain? Obviously not right away, but possibly in the next 3-4 years, maybe? He is often considered the best player on the ice for the Kings. He seems to have great hockey sense, I just don't know about the leadership skills.

I know it's his first year, and we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, I just wanted to find out what other kings fans feel his (leadership) POTENTIAL is.

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
i dont see why not give it too him now.... he is playin like the captian maybe we need the new blood .....

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
dabeechman

After norstrom leaves, or retires Kopitar will be the captain

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:49 AM
riseandfall9

Kid has so much class. Respect for the game and the people that play it. He should be captain now. But he wont I say in 3 or 4 years he will be the Captain with a new 5 year contract

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Osprey

Kopitar needs to be on the team longer and prove that he can lead before he should be a candidate for the captaincy. Being a good player, a fan favorite and a humble person isn't enough. Like with a manager position in a company, showing an aptitude for the job is important; just being a good and liked person doesn't cut it. Kopitar may or may not show an aptitude for being captain. There's no way of knowing right now and only time will tell.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:10 AM
koncepts

Send a message via Yahoo to koncepts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Kid has so much class. Respect for the game and the people that play it. He should be captain now. But he wont I say in 3 or 4 years he will be the Captain with a new 5 year contract
u mean his 10 year contract extention

koncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:27 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I think Cammy would make a good captain.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
He shouldn't captain for at least 5 years. That's too much to put on such a young player. There's a lot of pressure that comes with being a captain that we don't need him to have.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:46 PM
johnjm22

Isn't Crosby already the Pens captain?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

In response to the initial post & question, the answer depends on what type of captain the Kings want. Most talented? Toughest? Most characteristic of the organization's purported model of work ethic (see Norstrom)? Off ice leader of the pack? The most recognizable face of the franchise (Messier & Yzerman in their later years)?

Look at the captains around the league and you will find that they are what their organization wants as an example to the rest, whether that example is what the captain IS, what the captain WAS or what the captain WILL BE.

If I analyze Kopitar to date, I find the following: He is the most talented player on the ice. He is at minimum one of the toughest (he can hit and he can take a hit). His work ethic is marvelous (don't just look at his minutes, but look at what he does with those minutes). Judging by his interviews and his statements, the odds are good that he will develop into the off ice leader eventually unless Jack Johnson takes on that role or we acquire another player who fits that mold. Finally, the most recognizable face of the franchise - the mother of all non brainers - he is arguably already that and will only become more so.

I conclude that Anze Kopitar is the future captain of this team because he most exemplifies EACH of the qualities that teams look for. He is and will be the rock upon which this franchise is being built. That puts him in the same category as an Yzerman although the comparison on the intangibles in some respects is premature but on having sufficient talent and toughness for the captaincy is clear.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He shouldn't captain for at least 5 years. That's too much to put on such a young player. There's a lot of pressure that comes with being a captain that we don't need him to have.
Agreed that it is much too early to name him a captain. That is something you need to earn not only on the ice but at practice and in the locker room.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Um... did they just say that Conroy passed to TK and that the King's goalie was Legace?

Old
01-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
Um... did they just say that Conroy passed to TK and that the King's goalie was Legace?
Ah yes, the ever so fun "post in the wrong thread"

Good times...

Old
01-13-2007, 02:06 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

lol, i thought i was in the GDT

Old
01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed that it is much too early to name him a captain. That is something you need to earn not only on the ice but at practice and in the locker room.
I disagree with him being too young. After Nortstrom is traded, I would like to see Kopitar with the "C". When a player like Blake talks about how much the team depends on Kopitar. He plays in every sitaution and makes everyone around him better. I just don't see anyone looking up to Norstrom anymore.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I just don't see anyone looking up to Norstrom anymore.
I believe you don't see it. Neither do I. However, that's not because it isn't happening. It's because you and I are not in the locker room.

Old
01-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Venom_17

No, Crosby is not the captain of the Pens yet. I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't NEXT season though.

If Norstrom were to get dealt this deadline or offseason, the prime candidates for captaincy should be:

(1) Visnovsky
(2) Blake
(3) Conroy

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Osprey

I have to really disagree there, Venom. Visnovsky would be an awful choice, IMO. He's the quiet type, even quieter than Norstrom. The captain needs to talk to the refs throughout the game, be available for the media after games and stand up in the dressing room to address the team. From everything that I know of Lubomir, that's the complete opposite.

If Norstrom were to be traded this season or next, I think that the captaincy would, absolutely, have to go to Blake. He's had it before and the team looks to him for leadership.

BTW, along the same lines, and assuming that he signs a multi-year deal this Summer, I think that it might be appropriate for Cammalleri to become an alternate captain next season. He was one for Michigan and has started to take on a more vocal role with the Kings. By next season, he should be at the point where he'll command enough respect to wear the 'A'. It'd also just be nice to start working the team's younger players into leadership roles, rather than relying on the over-35 crowd, as they are now.

Old
01-13-2007, 05:47 PM
dabeechman

blake will become the captain if norstrom steps down

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:36 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfann805 View Post
Just wanted to gauge what some fans feel is the possibility of Kopitar becoming captain of the kings. Do you feel he has the POTENTIAL to one day be captain? Obviously not right away, but possibly in the next 3-4 years, maybe? He is often considered the best player on the ice for the Kings. He seems to have great hockey sense, I just don't know about the leadership skills.

I know it's his first year, and we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves, I just wanted to find out what other kings fans feel his (leadership) POTENTIAL is.
This is one of the dumbest questions I have heard here in a while.

He's 19. HE is the one who needs a leader to follow. He's hardly an off-ice leader.

There is more to being a captain than just being the best player on your team. Even in 3 years, he'll still be learning the nuances of the NHL game.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
kingsfann805

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
He's 19. HE is the one who needs a leader to follow. He's hardly an off-ice leader.
Why?? Because of his age?? Not sure if you were watching the game today on NBC, but they showed a clip of Rob Blake commenting on Kopitar. Blake was mentioning how the KINGS LOOK TO HIM, when they need something to happen, (get the puck up ice, out of the zone, etc). Kopitar is becoming a leader on this team, by his play on the ice. If that translates to being a captain in the future, great. I was just asking what people think.

I don't know anything about his off-ice behavior so I can't comment on that.

Quote:
There is more to being a captain than just being the best player on your team. Even in 3 years, he'll still be learning the nuances of the NHL game.
I agree, but Kopitar does more then just be the best player on the team. IMO. What does learning the nuances of the game have to do with being Captain?

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
This is one of the dumbest questions I have heard here in a while.

What "nuances" are you referring to that Kopitar will still be learning in 3 years? Name off some of these nuances.

Old
01-13-2007, 07:12 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Concur - there's no reason to slap that pressure on Kopitar in the near future. The kid's only 19 - give hime a few more years to develop and grow. I do believe that at some point we will see Captain Kopitar - but hopefully not for a few more years

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Why?? Because of his age?? Not sure if you were watching the game today on NBC, but they showed a clip of Rob Blake commenting on Kopitar. Blake was mentioning how the KINGS LOOK TO HIM, when they need something to happen, (get the puck up ice, out of the zone, etc). Kopitar is becoming a leader on this team, by his play on the ice. If that translates to being a captain in the future, great. I was just asking what people think.
Again, play on the ice is NOT the reason why players are named captain.

Sure, the Kings "look to him" to score, because he's their top line scorer. I think you're reading into Blake's quote too much. I highly doubt Blake is talking about Kopitar being his team leader.

Quote:
I don't know anything about his off-ice behavior so I can't comment on that.
For starters, he can't join the team when they go out for a drink. lol

Quote:
I agree, but Kopitar does more then just be the best player on the team. IMO.
Like what?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What "nuances" are you referring to that Kopitar will still be learning in 3 years? Name off some of these nuances.
You aren't implying that, 3 years from now, he'll have nothing more to learn, are you? If that were the case, he'd plateau at 22 and never improve beyond that age. Is that really what you're suggesting? No, of course it's not, but people need to realize (before they criticize others) that there's no improvement without learning. Having room for improvement (especially when you're as good as Kopitar is, already) is a good thing, not a bad one.