HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sheldon Souray

Old
01-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
Sheldon Souray

So do you guys remember flaming me at the beginning of the year about Sheldon Souray? When there was mention he was unhappy in Montreal and I said he would be great in Edmonton.

He is EVERYTHING we could have used this year and need right now. And yes, he is a $5 million + guy, soon to be more.

Still share that opinion now that he is an allstar, with an amazing cannon from the point, plays great minutes, physical, and can move the puck? Hmm?

Last edited by Loweball: 01-13-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
So do you guys remember flaming me at the beginning of the year about Sheldon Souray? When there was mention he was unhappy in Montreal and I said he would be great in Edmonton.

He is EVERYTHING we could have used this year and need right now. And yes, he is a $5 million + guy, soon to be more.

Still share that opinion now that he is an allstar, with an amazing cannon from the point, plays great minutes, physical, and can move the puck? Hmm?
You're the man now dog.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
likeavoss

Do you really think you should be gloating right now, considering Montreal is losing 8-3, with Sheldon "the All-Star" Souray knocking one into his own net? Seriously?

likeavoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Kotton

Its odd that you're boasting when he's leading the Canadiens in icetime in an 8 to 3 losing effort and is -2.

Way to pick your battles.

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Damn funny!

No thanks to Souray. He is what he always has been. We need someone who's good in his own zone.

01-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Bring Back Bucky

I'm not sure what the gloating's about. Sheldon Souray is the anti-Oiler. **** Sheldon Souray and the horse he rode in on.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Poochiemoo

I think Souray is horrible. I sure hope we don't get him.

Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Loweball

I didn't mean to brag. Just wanted a few of you to eat crow. And to those who still argue, you have no credibility with me. He's 10x better than ANYTHING we have back there right now and you need to get your head out of your ***.

I am not a Sheldon Souray fan. Guys that much of the complete package are rare. Just being realistic. He won't go to Edmonton anyways. Wants the sun and west coast so it's a dead issue

Old
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
I didn't mean to brag. Just wanted a few of you to eat crow. And to those who still argue, you have no credibility with me. He's 10x better than ANYTHING we have back there right now and you need to get your head out of your ***.

I am not a Sheldon Souray fan. Guys that much of the complete package are rare. Just being realistic. He won't go to Edmonton anyways. Wants the sun and west coast so it's a dead issue
Whatever dude your obviously one of those fans who looks at G,A and that's it. Saying Sheldon Souray is a complete package is laughable and utter garbage.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Ginoro

Not that he's really good in his own zone but you guys are seriously underrating him in this aspect just because you saw him in the highlights last year...
He's certainly part of why the Habs are good in both PP and PK.. I guess you can't see how important he is to a team until you watch him play... Sure, he's frustrating sometimes but not as much as you guys think he is lol

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Kotton

Quote:

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Not that he's really good in his own zone but you guys are seriously underrating him in this aspect just because you saw him in the highlights last year...
He's certainly part of why the Habs are good in both PP and PK.. I guess you can't see how important he is to a team until you watch him play... Sure, he's frustrating sometimes but not as much as you guys think he is lol
It's not even about bashing Sheldon Souray, its about analyzing what the Edmonton Oilers need from the defenceman that they are hopefully going to aquire. They need a guy who is a rock in his own zone, getting top pair minutes and matchups, and who has a solid first pass and can control a breakout. Souray simply is not that defenceman.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Guys that much of the complete package are rare.
I maybe watch about 10 minutes game time of Montreal hockey all together per week. In those 10 minutes, it seems like I see at least 3-4 defensive plays by Souray that actually cause me to cringe, or say something like "Oh my god, why would he do that?" out loud.

Sure, we need a puck moving defenceman who can run the PP, but we need solid defensive D-men even more. It doesn't matter if we have the best PP in the league and score 4 goals per game if our defense can't manage to defend their own zone.

I'd only take him if all parties involved KNEW that he was testing the market next year, and MTL was willing to give him up for something small, like a couple prospects and/or picks - nothing special. This will never happen though, especially with MTL well in postseason consideration.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Ginoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
It's not even about bashing Sheldon Souray, its about analyzing what the Edmonton Oilers need from the defenceman that they are hopefully going to aquire. They need a guy who is a rock in his own zone, getting top pair minutes and matchups, and who has a solid first pass and can control a breakout. Souray simply is not that defenceman.
So in fact, you're looking for a Top5 D-man ? lol
I understand your point but I wasn't neccersarly talking to you, there's been a few comments that made him look bad for no apparent reason... Sure you can tell me to watch last year highlights but that's wrong, he isn't that terrible.

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

I will flame you even harder

he is not worth 5mill a year

once he gets his new contract he will be a part of the all OVER PAID team

any team that signs him will get hit hard in the pocket book

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I've watched 4 Habs' games in the last 10 days. He is weak and uninterested in his own zone. Honestly, I would rather have MAB than Souray.

Old
01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

He has a monster shot on the Power Play... But defensively, he is very weak...

It can only help the Oilers powerplay... But it cant help their defenseman isssues much....

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:03 PM
OntOilFan

Sheldon Souray is Jason Smith, with a hard shot.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Walsher

Souray is having a great offensive start to the year - don't get me wrong, but to say he is 10X better than anything the Oilers have is a little much. Look at his career numbers, he was a terrible player until 3 years ago, he had a decent season last year (although I would argue Bergeron had a better year last year with 4 fewer points but +14 better). Souray is taking advantage of the 2nd ranked PP with, after today, 27 PP points. Thats great, and I wouldn't argue that the Oilers wouldn't want that. BUT, Bergeron has played mediocre this year and has about half as many points and is better +/-. Smith, Staios, Hejda, etc. are all better in their own zone, and none of the Oilers d-man boast a list of jock-removing goals against than that of Souray. He deserves his All-Star selection, he is playing well on a good team which probably has inflated his production. But he remains Sheldon Souray a 8 year veteran 6 of which years totalled 48 points. Unidimensional at this point, and not worth mortgaging anything. Keep in mind the Oilers need defensive help in their own zone, and puckmovers. Bergeron and Stoll to me both have better shots than Souray on the PP and Souray is not a great puckmover. Bergeron also has 31 goals in 174 games compared to Souray's 54 in 468 games played.

You can preach how great Souray is - I think his offensive numbers are flattering to him as a defenseman. Bergeron, 4.5 years younger than Souray, is IMO more valuable and definitely within 10X of Souray,

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Lessy

I think we're really underrating Souray around here. He's a guy that IMO is overrated leaguewide but he's still a pretty good player. Not the ideal guy we're looking for but he'd still be a bigtime improvement over what we have. I'm far from a Sheldon Souray fan but having him back there would improve our team no question. As long as we don't sign him in the offseason because like others have said he's going to be massively overpaid.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:

LO BLOODY L

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:34 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:

Uh. That's why he's in Montreal?

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Loweball

Laughing my bloody *** off at the post that MAB is better than Souray.

You, my friend, are a complete idiot. Moron. Bafoon.

Worst post I have ever read here BAR NONE!!!!

MAB should not be in the NHL never mind one of our top 4.

Wow. Completely...wow.

Old
01-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Laughing my bloody *** off at the post that MAB is better than Souray.

You, my friend, are a complete idiot. Moron. Bafoon.

Worst post I have ever read here BAR NONE!!!!

MAB should not be in the NHL never mind one of our top 4.

Wow. Completely...wow.
I said I would rather have MAB than Souray. If you think this means that I said one is better than the other then you might want to refrain from the name-calling. There is something about contracts that you might want to consider before you judge...

Old
01-15-2007, 02:41 AM
gr8haluschak

Well lets see how outlandish the Souray Bergeron comparision

In Souray's first two full years his stats were
70 gp - 1 g -7 a - 8 pts - +5
71 gp - 3 g - 8 a - 11 pts - +1
and this year
44 gp - 15 g - 23 a - 38 pts - -5

While Bergeron's
54 gp - 9 g - 17 a - 26pts - +13
75 gp - 15 g - 20 a - 35 pts - +3
and this year
41 gp - 6 g - 14 a - 20 pts - -2

added to that Bergeron is 4 years younger and makes 1.5 mill less and is signed for a few more years while Souray is a FA at the end of this year

Last edited by gr8haluschak: 01-15-2007 at 03:04 AM.
gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote