Thrashers hosed in All Star selections

Old
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Thrashers hosed in All Star selections

Ilya and Slava 46 points, not invited.

Justin Williams 41 points, a worse +/- than both Ilya and Slava...selected?

What criteria were they using for selecting the teams?

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Kovalchuk got plain out hosed, unless he opted out of going. No excuse for that at all.

In terms of Kozlov, he didn't have quite as good of a year last year as Williams. I think they were trying to compensate for the lack of a game last year and were using splits of the past two years in order to make the selections.

2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 31 45 76 60 25 7 11 18 34
2006-07 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 46 21 20 41 43

2005-06 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 82 25 46 71 33 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 45 17 29 46 20

51 goals and 117 points to 42 goals and 117 points. Plus the playoff success for Williams last year, the fact that he's a primary penalty killer and that selection looks a little better.

Even as a Hurricanes fan though, the exclusion of Kovalchuk is laughable at best.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Jonathan Cheechoo!!!!??? This all-star voting thing is a joke...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If they were using splits, why isn't Savard there?

I don't buy that theory.

I think the NHL offices wanted to have more of the Stanley Cup Champs represented...and it didn't hurt that both happen to be North American players.

Old
01-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
If they were using splits, why isn't Savard there?

I don't buy that theory.

I think the NHL offices wanted to have more of the Stanley Cup Champs represented...and it didn't hurt that both happen to be North American players.
I didn't say that the splits were the sole determining factor, but they were likely weighed into. If they wanted the Champs represented, they should have made the two adequate selections with Ray Whitney and Rod Brind'Amour. Both of those players deserved to be there on merit alone, but were left off.

Whitney had an "average" season and was injured for a portion of last year. Brind'Amour is really inexplicable as well.

Savard isn't there because nobody likes Savard. He could put up 200 points in a season and nobody would bat and eyelash because everybody hates him.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Ilya and Slava 46 points, not invited.

What criteria were they using for selecting the teams?
I hardly think those are the 2 players with the biggest beef with the league after not getting slected....how about Jagr? or Brindamour? or Straka? or Malkin? or Afinogenov?

The west was worse with players like Guerin making it and Rick nash.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I didn't say that the splits were the sole determining factor, but they were likely weighed into. If they wanted the Champs represented, they should have made the two adequate selections with Ray Whitney and Rod Brind'Amour. Both of those players deserved to be there on merit alone, but were left off.

Whitney had an "average" season and was injured for a portion of last year. Brind'Amour is really inexplicable as well.

Savard isn't there because nobody likes Savard. He could put up 200 points in a season and nobody would bat and eyelash because everybody hates him.
Staal should not have been on the team, clearly Brindy deserved it over him or Williams.

I agree ppl hate Savard....its a shame because hes a damn good player and should be there.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:54 AM
CB420

I agree, wow, If in fact that is true that Kovalchuk and both Kozlov and Hossa were not selected?

Wow thats a shame, Id love to watch those players in what a better place for them to show their skill. Kovalchuk not going to the allstar game is a joke, this is one of the best players in the leauge, what better player to have in that game to show to fans what kind of skill and most importantly advertise and broadcast some of the most skilled players in the league to non-NHL fans and hopefully bring in and attract new fans to this great game.

The fan voting is a joke IMO, If a player like Rory Fitzpatrick almost made the STARTING LINEUP for an allstar game something is seriously wrong, I like what the NBA Does, and let the fans vote the starters then let the Coaches and GMs decide on who the rest of the roster should consist of. Understanding that NBA rosters include Only 15 spots no more then that, 12 players who play regulary, as compared to NHL rosters of 18, 21 actually if u included the 3 goalies that will play at the allstar game, 1 goalie per period. Btw. Joe Johnson deserves an allstar spot for the East. Conf. for the ATL Hawks this year in the NBA allstar game in Vegas IMO... Johnson is pretty underrated, hes real skilled, verstaille, he can rebound, dish, a good slasher and is always a threat from the arc, and outside, a slick shooter.

Quote:
Yeah justin williams is a bum lol, hes a decent player ok, but he's not "allstar talent" in my opinion.

Quote:
The west was worse with players like Guerin making it and Rick nash.
True, however according to stats, which I think is the critiera , Guerin has had better Numbers then Nash, However in Nash's defense he has been injured for a large chunk of the year, and thats hurt him. I Would not doubt have Nash there over Guerin, but hey thats how it goes. Nash wont take it as a snub, he would just be motivated to player better. In my opinion as like about 200,000 others, Nash is forsure a better player then Billy G, Id take Nash on allstar way before even thinking of Guerin.

Quote:
how about Jagr?
I think Jagr was injured for a bit there, but still I agree, If you wanna showcase the talent in the leauge, to hopefully market the game, and sell the game to new fans, non-hockey fans in the league who might watch this allstar game this year in dallas, you need to have one of the most skilled players in the leauge, if not of alltime in Jaromir Jagr, Maybe Jagr Declined Invitation, and it was his own choice not to go.

Quote:
Jonathan Cheechoo!!!!??? This all-star voting thing is a joke...
Also true, I agree, Cheechoo is a good player, for sure, You dont win the Rocket Richard trophy without having skill in this league. However he was banged upa bit, missed a few games, he only has like 30 points in like 42 games this year, 14 goals, that is not deserving of an allstar starting roster spot, Let alone Roster spot alone. IMO Teemu Selanne is most deserving of being that starting RW spot for the west, this dude is having an incredible season, and somehow in the eyes of some fans is flying under the radar in ANA.
Meh, It is what it is, theres alot of good players, players in their mind will get snubbed its how it goes, im sure the game should not dissapoint, but some of those players mentioned arent going, its kinda strange, Especially Illya Kovalchuk??? Is it really true that he was not selected? If it is then wow, its embarssing for the leauge not to have this guy there at that game. It is a joke in some ways. It is what it is though, A showcase of talent, the voting system is flawed.

Im an Edmonton Oilers fan, And in my opinion I thought Ales Hemsky derserved to go instead of Ryan Smyth, but according stats wise, Smyth has better numbers, Smyth is our leader n heart n soul of our team, and will represent good, and it was his first allstar selection, However I think in a game of that type , Hemsky would have been a better choice, thats how it goes though. Not every player can be picked, theres 750 players in the league, only about 64 of them are choosen.

Last edited by CB420: 01-14-2007 at 03:10 AM.
CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
Staal should not have been on the team, clearly Brindy deserved it over him or Williams.

I agree ppl hate Savard....its a shame because hes a damn good player and should be there.
Its a shame because if DW hadn't been an IDIOT and actually SIGNED Savard, Ilya would be having a good season.

Savard > Rucchin, Holik, Metro...anyone Hartley's had centering Kovy.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:57 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Its a shame because if DW hadn't been an IDIOT and actually SIGNED Savard, Ilya would be having a good season.

Savard > Rucchin, Holik, Metro...anyone Hartley's had centering Kovy.
2006-07 Thrashers w/o Savard > 2005-06 Thrashers w/ Savard

That's really all that matters. So who's the idiot?

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:15 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Outside of offensive stats, the C position has been upgraded across the board.

I wish we could have afforded to keep Savard, but DW did a good job at C. My main issue with DW is addressing the PPQB slot and finding another winger who can run with Ilya, Kozlov, and Hossa.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post

Yea thank god they got rid of the 100 point guy.......whew......where would they be with a good player like him in the lineup setting up Kovalchuk again.

Oh my bad good players improve teams not make them worse.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Yea thank god they got rid of the 100 point guy.......whew......where would they be with a good player like him in the lineup setting up Kovalchuk again.

either having a 100 pts center and not having depth or having depth and not having a 100 pts center.

It was one or another and so far, DW decision of not signing Savard have shown that it was the best decision to take! Salary Cap Era!

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:

100 points? That's his PIMs column!

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Zikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post

And it because their goaltender is healthy unlike last year, not because Sim, Rucchin or Metropolit outplay Savard

Zikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikky View Post
And it because their goaltender is healthy unlike last year, not because Sim, Rucchin or Metropolit outplay Savard
Exactly, get real if you think its because the scrubs are outplaying Savard......its clearly due to Lehtonen.

Old
01-15-2007, 08:01 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The Thrashers are one of the top teams as far as faceoff percentage..have been all year. The Thrashers team defense has also improved greatly from last year, and I am not going to give Lehtonen all of the credit for that...because it is not deserved.

In addition, the Thrashers have had injuries to the D all season long. The biggest weaknesses of the team right now are PP performance and poor performance from whoever is on Ilya's wing. The Thrashers got 3 centers for less than the price of Savard, and still have the cap room to get another if they want to come trading season.

Old
01-16-2007, 09:33 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikky View Post
This team is better than it was last year.

THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

Taking the GM to task because one position is worse off this year than it was last year is just plain stupid. Who the **** cares if we're weaker at center if we're better overall? Would we be even better with Savard on this team? Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know. What we do know is we have a better team now and a bit more salary cap room to play with. We keep Savard and we lose Kozlov next year for sure. Then the Savard fanboys become Kozlov fanboys and whine about how dumb Don Waddell is for letting Kozlov go.

I liked the guy but plain and simple he wasn't worth the megabucks he commanded on the open market.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
BigT2002

Can't win em all ppl. The All-star voting is dumb (hence that Rory crap) and they select off of popular ppl. Only reason I can think certain ppl go and others are left behind.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
I think the NHL is trying to have a player from every team if they can

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Boognish

Quote:

And yet, the team is still in 1st in the division. Ask any GM if they'd rather have a star player who costs too much or if they'd rather be 1st in the division.

I'm as a big a proponent of Savard as you're going to find on these boards. I've always been a huge fan, but facts are facts and the team is doing well without him. That's a hard fact to argue with.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:25 PM
BigT2002

I think having Savard on the team would of hurt em overall. The puck is perfect in the hands of Holik, Hossa, Kovi, and Koslov...adding another star to the mix would of just complicated things. Look at what happened with the Red Wings (before the cap problems) and the amount of all-star caliber players who were crying for ice time to get points.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote