HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How worried are you right now

Old
01-14-2007, 01:20 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 504
How worried are you right now

Overall

HOw worried are you about the oilers?

right now the oilers are 3 points our of the playoffs with a team to jump(col).

To get into the playoffs the oilers have to start winning more games(like DUH) and the teams around them have to start losing (Like DUH part 2).

with dallas at 45 games and 53pts
Nucks at 45 games and 51 pts
Minny 45/49
Col 44/47
Oilers at 45/46
all trying for the last 3 playoff spots

last ten games the oilers are 3-5-2

I don't see Col just sitting there--they will make a move to charge to the playoffs

Minny is vulnerable

Dallas with Turco in net will find away

Oilers have to hope the nucks blow a wheel and Luongo gets hurt

Looking at the standings and knowing that certain teams will make moves shortly

how worried are you

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver

Last edited by jumptheshark: 01-14-2007 at 01:23 AM. Reason: bad copying
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
I'm not going to start getting worried until February rolls around. Depressed? Hell ya. Worried? Nah.

01-14-2007, 01:22 AM
GSC

Very.

This team is a mere shell of what it was during last season's playoff run.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
oilerfanatic

i'm pretty worried...every team in our division and above us is winning right now while we're struggling as usual...calling this team mediocre qualifies as a compliment now...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Sachiko

Worried enough that I know it will take a miracle for this team to make the playoffs this year.

Sachiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Boozers

Im a little worried the team needs to get going, but In Lowe I trust. He has always made smart moves and I think he finds the right trades to improve this hockey team.

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anyone seen Fever Pitch? In it there is a scene where "the guys" head out to a bar after a heart-breaking Redsox loss to the yankees in the playoffs. They are pretty much sobbing in their beers when one of them looks over and sees a few Redsox at a table having dinner. They are having steak, chatting it up, laughing and having a good time. The guys are wondering how they can be so upbeat after such a tough loss, till they realize it is just a game and just their job, not life, so there is no reason to get worried or depressed or any of that.

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:36 AM
grego

I am not worried, but I would like to see the Oilers make the playoffs with a week or more to go some year. This down to the last game scenario gets annoying, especially when the team could be winning more.

Sure we may not have a Stanley Cup condender yet, but we do have a legitimate team right now to get a playoffs spot

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:38 AM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Not really, but only because I have accepted that this is a growing pains kind of year. I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs - they simply aren't good enough, and for reasons that can't be fixed by acquiring a puck-moving Dman.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:39 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

will not make the playoffs with this line-up

I think it's safe to say the Flaming cowboys own the division right now with Vancouver and Minny nipping at the heels....its a dog-race for 4th now

We need D and we needed it Oct.5th

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:48 AM
redsox18

I'm not worried, if we miss the playoffs, ah well. Life goes on, its just a game.

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:52 AM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
I'm not worried, if we miss the playoffs, ah well. Life goes on, its just a game.
I agree with that

I love the Oilers, but it is not the end of the world if they miss the playoffs.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:57 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireItup View Post
I'm not worried at all. Thats because I'm a Flames fan.
and that is why you are on the oilers board and wearing a dress with something stuck up you.......................

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:30 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireItup View Post
I'd rather be knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round...then not make it at all.
1.At least you know your gonna choke...like all Calgary teams do
2.I guess thats what we were saying when the Flames couldn't make the playoffs for SEVEN consecutive years

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
Very.

This team is a mere shell of what it was during last season's playoff run.
Obviously, that team was stacked and were tough as hell to play against.

There are many teams including the Flames who would be a "shell" of that team.

Anyways, I am not really all that worried. We might make the playoffs this year, we might not. I think chances are 70-30 that we get in but that isn't the point.

This team will be at the level we want it to be in 2-3 years. Smid, Greene, Lupul, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll will all be playing at a higher level and will be able to carry us.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:51 AM
outKast*

I'm quite worried. I can't go back and remember 5 games this season where i can say that the Oilers played a full 60 minutes.

The Oilers are getting beaten up and they've failed to show toughness. They're easy to beat in the corners and have not been cycling the puck.

The forwards and defensemen are having a hard time getting the puck out of the zone and it's really affected their transition game and the forward's ability to sustain pressure in the offensive zone.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
A month ago I said to a friend that the Oilers wouldn't make the playoffs.
I predicted then that the Canucks would come on....they have.
Anaheim
Detroit
Nashville
San Jose
Dallas
Calgary
Vancouver

That leaves the Oilers ONCE AGAIN fighting for the final playoff seed & that was before this slide got REAL bad. With the likes of Pheonix & Chicago having come on in the last month or so (and to a lesser extent St. Louis) plus Minnesota & Colorado who I believe will make a drive also (and who incidently all have a game in hand on us - except Minny), we are on the outside looking in & I don't think that's going to change.

I think the team that was 1 game from winning it all last season, misses the playoffs less than 12 months later. Sad.

But then, that wouldn't be the first time.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:33 AM
vb

There's no reason to worry right now. Destiny is still in our hands with almost 40 games to play. When we have to count on other teams to start losing, that's when it's time to worry.

I do find it disappointing that at the start of the year it looked like we were above this mediocrity. The confidence level was much higher and the organization, right from Lowe down to MacTavish down to Captain Smith and his alternates, allowed that confidence and swagger to be lost.

Another issue is this team is definitely missing the presence of Ethan Moreau. Our record without him has been abysmal.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
There's no reason to worry right now. Destiny is still in our hands with almost 40 games to play. When we have to count on other teams to start losing, that's when it's time to worry.

I do find it disappointing that at the start of the year it looked like we were above this mediocrity. The confidence level was much higher and the organization, right from Lowe down to MacTavish down to Captain Smith and his alternates, allowed that confidence and swagger to be lost.

Another issue is this team is definitely missing the presence of Ethan Moreau. Our record without him has been abysmal.

I agree here...one thing i mentioned at work, does anyone know if Moreau would be allowed into the dressing room between periods? Like say he goes to every game and watches from the PB, can he go down into the dressing room between periods to fire up the guys? They obviously miss what he delivered in the dressing room...so can he go in there even though he is on the IR? And would he? If the team calls him up and says we need your presence in the dressing room, would you be willing to come do it...would he?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:42 AM
BleedOil83

The last two days have sold me. I'm petrified. I've been positive all year but when you've lost 7 straight in your division, in THIS division, that's bad. I see last year all over again but I think it'll be too hard for Lowe to bring in a Roli-type impact player again on defense. Help will come, but I'm debating whether it'll be enough to sneak in again.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Declassified

vCash: 50
Not Worried, the Oilers have been playing alot better lately, the last few games were lost because the other team was better, not because of gaffes, and stupid D breakdowns.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Geoffvp

Not worried, because I've already resigned myself to the fact that the Oil will likely not make the playoffs this year. I've already moved to acceptance, and am looking forward to future years.

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

I'm not that worried yet....I still don't see any reason why we can't finish ahead of Vancouver, Minnesota, or Colorado to grab 7th or 8th place. We're still battling through some injuries and I'm confident that our PP and offence will have a better 2nd half...it just has to. I think we'll add a little help on the blueline and battle our way to a hardfought 1st round exit, after which we can try and set ourselves up for another run next year.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
faneuil

I've decided not to worry, because there's nothing I can do about it.

I"m frustrated though.

Rin, to answer about Moreau and the dressing room. I don't know if this holds true for all teams, but most do not allow IR or scratched players in the dressing room between periods. It's considered a distraction.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Flames4EVER

Theres half a season to go yet, things can change in a hurry for ANY team...

Flames4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote