HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How worried are you right now

Old
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
OntOilFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames4EVER View Post
Theres half a season to go yet, things can change in a hurry for ANY team...
Yes, things can change, but has this year's Oilers given us fans any reason to believe they will?

The Oilers have morphed into a soft club who doesn't play hard. They are easy to play against. And with teams getting more desperate as the season wears on, this club has the composition of one that will wilt and fade away rather than surge and pour it on.

Time and again, we've seen this team fold and crumble under pressure. Why should we believe when the pressure is on to "make the playoffs" (right back where we always are), that they will all of a sudden become gamers?

This Oiler team, for the most part, is made up of a bunch of losers. Aside from Smyth, Stoll and Moreau (injured) can anybody honestly be proud of the effort the rest of the team has show consistently? I know I can't.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
This Oiler team, for the most part, is made up of a bunch of losers. Aside from Smyth, Stoll and Moreau (injured) can anybody honestly be proud of the effort the rest of the team has show consistently? I know I can't.
Once again, effort level hasn't been a problem of late and I seriously think it's a gigantic cop-out to blame the Oilers' disappointing performances of late on it. Do you seriously think the Oilers lost to the Flames last night because they weren't working hard enough? Did they fall to the Wild the night before because the effort level wasn't there? I thought the Oilers showed some questionable effort a little earlier in the season but I've had absolutely no problem with that of late. Last night was a case of a team playing it's third game in four nights (in three different cities) simply being worn down in the third.

01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
I'm fine.....now.

After going on a horrendous losing skid that has grave playoff implications, Dr. Oil advises Oiler fans that their team is dying and will go thought 5 stages of grief:

Dr. Oil: Now, a little death anxiety is normal. You can expect to go through five stages. The first is denial.
Oiler Fans: No way! Because they’re not dying!
Dr. Oil: The second is anger.
Oiler Fans: Why you little!!!
Dr. Oil: After that comes fear.
Oiler Fans: [In a panicked voice] What's after fear? What's after fear?
Dr. Oil: Bargaining.
Oiler Fans: Doc, you gotta get us out of this! I'll make it worth your while!
Dr. Oil: Finally, acceptance.
Oiler Fans: Well, we all gotta tank sometime.
Dr. Oil: Oiler Fans, your progress astounds me.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:53 PM
grego

The Oilers are playing hard right now, and if they continue with the current level of intensity they will make the playoffs.

If they go back to the soft style of play they had earlier in the year then they are in trouble.

I hate to see the Oilers lose any game, but I have never been under the illusion that the Oilers were a team that could go 60 - 22 or anything like that with the current team.

The Oilers will win some games and lose others

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:03 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
The Oilers are playing hard right now, and if they continue with the current level of intensity they will make the playoffs.

If they go back to the soft style of play they had earlier in the year then they are in trouble.

I hate to see the Oilers lose any game, but I have never been under the illusion that the Oilers were a team that could go 60 - 22 or anything like that with the current team.

The Oilers will win some games and lose others
Agreed, but aren't you getting sick of clawing for 8th place EVERY SINGLE BLOODY SEASON?

It would be nice, FOR ONCE, not to always have your eye on 8th place. But every season, we have to.

I just think everybody is getting fed up with that. Mediocrity, be gone!

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:31 PM
grego

Quote:
Agreed, but aren't you getting sick of clawing for 8th place EVERY SINGLE BLOODY SEASON?

It would be nice, FOR ONCE, not to always have your eye on 8th place. But every season, we have to.

I just think everybody is getting fed up with that. Mediocrity, be gone!
the mediocrity is annoying, and it would be nice to have people not using excuses that the Oilers are always a team that just makes the playoffs, so they are just lucky for any playoff success.

I think we have to get the team fake papers and news that tells them from day one that they are 20 points out of a playoff spot, then they should fight hard and try to make the playoffs. For some reason it seems like this team has become accustomed to the pressure ( almost always delivering in the end )

I would love to see a return to the old days, where they want to win in the regular season to exceed, entertain and just see how well they can do.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:45 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm not going to start getting worried until February rolls around. Depressed? Hell ya. Worried? Nah.
This where I'm at. Just recently i made a post about "A time for optimism" - which was getting at this very point. A slight spark and the Oilers will be fine. They have 40 some odd games to carve a playoff spot, which requires improving their ranking by 5 points; this isn't a scary task with 40 games left. Relatively speaking, we're about the same as last year... not worried yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Worried enough that I know it will take a miracle for this team to make the playoffs this year.
You think so? A miracle would imply that we're out of the running. Since when was 2-3 wins out of running? We've been in this position at least once every season, yet we usually make the playoffs.

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Master Lok

Meh. I'm not worried. I think a number of us predicted they would be battling for 8th place to get into the playoffs. They're in 10th place three points behind 8th, battling for a playoff spot with 37 games left in the season.

Think about that guys when you're panicking - 37 games.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Silver

Quote:

Starting this year, we basically had (like the other four teams in our division) one of three options: 3rd, 8th, or no playoffs.

Somebody's gotta miss. It was Vancouver last year, it could very well be us this year. No one thought we were going for the President's trophy this season...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I know this may not be popular idea, but I've long been extremely soft in my support of MacT. Last year I called for his head all year long. Obviously my enthusiasm for change behind the bench subsided during the playoff run. But somewhere deep down, I had a feeling that the Oilers would go back to their mediocre status where long losing streaks and December/January swoons are the normal. Now we've signed him long term for big bucks and we really can't afford to firing him can we?

I'm not a MacT fan. For some reason he seems to be unable to get his teams out of funks.

You can fire one coach, you can't trade 20 players.

EDIT: oh and P.S.
I haven't felt this low on the Oilers since that horrible loss to the Kings a few years back when we blew that lead in the final minute to not even get a point (Ryan iced the puck for no good reason, the Kings scored after the draw, then scored again later so the Oil didn't even get a point). It wasn't because in our last few games we haven't been playing well. And it isn't that I saw anything in particular in the game that was really disappointing. But losing 7 straight games within the division is what did it for me. I'm sorry, that's not acceptable and it says something about this team as a unit playing in highly competitive games that are worth a lot.

01-14-2007, 03:54 PM
tamon77

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
will not make the playoffs with this line-up

I think it's safe to say the Flaming cowboys own the division right now with Vancouver and Minny nipping at the heels....its a dog-race for 4th now

We need D and we needed it Oct.5th
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

tamon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
I've decided not to worry, because there's nothing I can do about it.

I"m frustrated though.

Rin, to answer about Moreau and the dressing room. I don't know if this holds true for all teams, but most do not allow IR or scratched players in the dressing room between periods. It's considered a distraction.
Ohh, i see. I think Moreau would be looked at as more of a leader than a distraction, but thats just me.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

I was pretty pissed off last night... didn't really think of it much until after the Patriots () game ended.

Edmonton is five back of eighth (MIN) right now... if they beat the Wild on Tuesday and win the game in hand they currently have, they'll only be one back.

37 games to get this fixed.

I was just looking at last year's standings from January 14 (so after the Oil played 45 games).

1. Detroit, 63pts
2. Dallas, 62
3. Calgary, 57
4. Nashville, 59
5. Los Angeles, 58
6. Colorado, 55
7. Vancouver, 55
8. Edmonton, 53
----
9. Phoenix, 46
10. Anaheim, 46
11. San Jose, 45

LA and VAN both fell apart, while ANA and SJ took off.

A lot can happen between January 15 and April 7.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:03 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I was pretty pissed off last night... didn't really think of it much until after the Patriots () game ended.

Edmonton is five back of eighth (MIN) right now... if they beat the Wild on Tuesday and win the game in hand they currently have, they'll only be one back.

I was just looking at last year's standings from January 14 (so after the Oil played 45 games).

1. Detroit, 63pts
2. Dallas, 62
3. Calgary, 57
4. Nashville, 59
5. Los Angeles, 58
6. Colorado, 55
7. Vancouver, 55
8. Edmonton, 53
----
9. Phoenix, 46
10. Anaheim, 46
11. San Jose, 45

True enough, a lot can happen.

But, unless the makeup of this team gets a major improvement, I really can't see them having the guns to pull it off. They had a pretty cushy schedule for the first half of the year, and they outright blew it. It only gets harder now, and it must be immensely frustrating for Lowe to see a lot of key players who scored new contracts over the summer making him look bad.

I'm starting to wonder if overpaying through the nose for whatever puck moving dman can be extracted is even worth it at this point.

-Roloson looking fatigued, and the coach acting like he has zero confidence in the backup
-Lupul looking totally lost, and that's being generous
-Horcoff and Pisani playing like their fat contracts are weighing down on them
-An inconsistent at best 4th line

How does getting a Visnovsky or Phillips help any of that?

We lost a lot of leadership and grit from last year's team, and it's been replaced with guys that are either too soft or too young to know what to do when things get hairy.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:08 AM
imkinger

Not worried at all.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
cc

they can hang in there, make a splash at the deadline, and then go on a streak at the right time. They certainly have a lot of tradeable assets that other teams would love to have to fix the team's weaknesses.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Wolfpack

On the worried scale from 1 to 5... I am currently at 6.

This team is not making the playoffs.

The good news is that the young core is looking good for 2-3 years from now, assuming it is kept together. Also, Lowe needs to make some smart moves at the trade deadline to get good return for Oilers that are entering the downside of their careers.

If the Oilers miss the playoffs I don't think there is any way of getting around trading Ryan Smyth. I know it is sacreligious to say that around here, but I'd be greatly disappointed in Lowe if Smyth left for nothing, and I am NOT in favour of paying Smyth more than he is worth or more than the Oilers can afford. He COULD be among the most sought-after UFA's at the deadline.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Yanner39

You know what makes me feel a little better? As much as I have been upset at this team, I still think they could go on a run. They are behind, but it's not impossible. And with so many games in their conference, they just have to beat the teams they are chasing.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
If the team was playing right now the way they were playing in December, I would be extremely worried. But there are several positives that I have been seeing the past couple of weeks:

Defensive play - miles ahead of a couple of weeks ago. The forwards are supporting the D way better, and the D are being more patient with the puck and using the wall less to clear. Probably a coaching change that I give kudos to. Our breakout and neutral zone passing is also tonnes better.

Compete level - much better. The guys are working hard and are spending more time in the opposition's end (minus the SJ game)

Defense - Obviously we still need to upgrade, but I think the play of Roy and Hejda, as well as the spike in play of Tjarnqvist has been quite noticable. Bergeron is a major issue that needs to be dealt with, and we need someone with some veteran savvy to get Greene back on track. Overall the past couple of games especially I give props for solid play to the D

Horcoff and Pisani - they still aren't where they need to be but have both really started to show signs of playing more to thier potential.

We need Roloson to shut his trap and start being more responsible for his own play instead of being worried about other's performance (namely his D). His attitude isn't helping the youngsters - a calm supportive Roloson would be far more beneficial to this team right now ala Kipprusoff. Don't get me wrong, I love Roli and have been on board with him from day one when others questioned his aquisition, but he needs to get back to the way he was playing in October and November.

In the end, I think this team still could challenge for 1st in the NW. Some of you will call it crazy, but I look at the players we have and we still have the potential for greatness. Of course we need to start winning games instead of playing well and just falling short. As bad as these last 2 losses hurt, if the Oilers have a big week we could all be feeling alot better at this time 6 days from now.

01-15-2007, 02:56 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
-Roloson looking fatigued, and the coach acting like he has zero confidence in the backup
-Lupul looking totally lost, and that's being generous
-Horcoff and Pisani playing like their fat contracts are weighing down on them
-An inconsistent at best 4th line
I don't think Roloson has been the problem.

when you score 3 goals in 2 games against the Wild and Flames, it tells us a lot of the vaunted Oiler offence

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

I am a little worried.

There is plenty of time still to go on a run. My only problem is the team has shown signs of improvement but have not hinted IMO that they are determined to go on a big run.

If Roli can get more consistent, our skill up front starts producing game in and game out like they should (I am looking at you Horc, Lupul etc...) and we can pick up a top D at the deadline then I like our chances at the playoffs. But we are too close to staying the bottom of the division permanently and the teams above just keep winning and winning, so that causes some concern for me.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

1. Detroit, 63pts
2. Dallas, 62
3. Calgary, 57
4. Nashville, 59
5. Los Angeles, 58
6. Colorado, 55
7. Vancouver, 55
8. Edmonton, 53
----
9. Phoenix, 46
10. Anaheim, 46
11. San Jose, 45

Ya, I looked that up too. They are 7 points behind where they were last season at this time. With 37 games left, they are 7 points back of where they were last year when they squeeked into the playoffs. It doesnt leave a whole lot of reason for optimism.

The only thing left is to play better in the division. There are lots of games against the NW. If we give up points like we did this weekend, we're sellers at the deadline. If we start beating our division rivals, we'll start to climb.

If we hit the all-star break giving up 4 more points to the NW (Flames and Wild games on tues and sat), its time to start thinking about selling. This is a big week to see where this team stands.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
I don't think Roloson has been the problem.

when you score 3 goals in 2 games against the Wild and Flames, it tells us a lot of the vaunted Oiler offence
I'm not saying Roloson is THE problem, just A problem, at the moment.

You can't tell me that his level of play hasn't dropped off from what it was in the first couple months of the year. To me it's not so much a physical thing, as it is a level of mental fatigue to me. The guy looks totally stressed out right now, he needs a break.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Ya, I looked that up too. They are 7 points behind where they were last season at this time. With 37 games left, they are 7 points back of where they were last year when they squeeked into the playoffs. It doesnt leave a whole lot of reason for optimism.

The only thing left is to play better in the division. There are lots of games against the NW. If we give up points like we did this weekend, we're sellers at the deadline. If we start beating our division rivals, we'll start to climb.

If we hit the all-star break giving up 4 more points to the NW (Flames and Wild games on tues and sat), its time to start thinking about selling. This is a big week to see where this team stands.
But you can't really compare we are this year to last year because of different the make up of our division and conference this year, not too mention looking at how far Anaheim and San Jose came from where they were at this time.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'm not saying Roloson is THE problem, just A problem, at the moment.

You can't tell me that his level of play hasn't dropped off from what it was in the first couple months of the year. To me it's not so much a physical thing, as it is a level of mental fatigue to me. The guy looks totally stressed out right now, he needs a break.
Which is puzzling why MacT won't play Markennen more. I mean, I always thought he was a very capable backup. Give em 20 games a season.

It just seems that everything the Oilers are doing right now is the complete opposite of what they should be doing. When did EIG hire George Costanza to run things at Oilers HQ?

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote