HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Happy 20th Birthday Marc Staal

Old
01-13-2007, 05:50 PM
dank

vCash: 500
Happy 20th Birthday Marc Staal

Maybe not enough for a full, separate thread, but maybe people want to have the chance to discuss this player, on whose shoulders a lot of our collective hopes rest.

isn't he now overage for the OHL?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

20 already eh?

Kinda sucks that hes already 20 and half the other elite young players are in the league at 18-19 years old. But he is a defensman after-all - and oh, he plays for the Rangers.

His 18 year-old brother had a nice goal today too.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Taz

He better be playing in NY next season, it get annoying seeing none of our prospects given a legit chance. Let him develop in NY, Tired of the Rangers saying there not ready when others around the league are playing LOTS of minutes at 18-21 year olds. Our prospects get 3-4 mins a game if they are lucky, when they are 24 years old BTW

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Speedtrials

I think unless he has a disastorous camp next year, we will definitly see him with the Rangers next year. I remember about a month ago, Al was interviewing Don Maloney about the Rangers prospects, and Maloney said the Rangers probably rushed him back down too soon. Hopefully with Staal, Tyutin, and Pock playing next year our d will start getting younger. And that is not including anyone from Hartford.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
He better be playing in NY next season, it get annoying seeing none of our prospects given a legit chance. Let him develop in NY, Tired of the Rangers saying there not ready when others around the league are playing LOTS of minutes at 18-21 year olds. Our prospects get 3-4 mins a game if they are lucky, when they are 24 years old BTW
like blackburn...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Fletch

Just missed...

being able to play in the AHL by a couple weeks - too bad.

I do have serious doubts he'll be playing in NY, however. Will not be surprised one bit if he plays in Hartford.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
like blackburn...
explain?

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Balej20*

Happy Birthday Mr. Staal. Only 4 more years until you aren't too young to be called up to the Rangers! But then you only play 8 minutes game, because you're too young...

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

the sad part is with the state of the left side of our defense corp Staal could probably play on this team right now...

In think its a pretty safe bet Staal couldn't be worse than Malik, Pock, and Kaspar are right now...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
FLYLine24*

Happy B-day to our future top #2 dman.

Who cares where he is playing next year, all I know is that defenseman take longer then forwards to develop and he will sooner or later develop into that top defenseman.

Take your time Mr. Staal...no rush.....you will be a key player on the Rangers for years!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
being able to play in the AHL by a couple weeks - too bad.

I do have serious doubts he'll be playing in NY, however. Will not be surprised one bit if he plays in Hartford.
But it's not an awful thing if he DOES play in Hartford. He's a defenseman and they normally take a bit longer to develop. I'd have no problem with it if he shows he isn't ready.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:21 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
But it's not an awful thing if he DOES play in Hartford. He's a defenseman and they normally take a bit longer to develop. I'd have no problem with it if he shows he isn't ready.

A bunch of us might not mind...but you know people will start calling him a bust if he can't make the NHL right away and be effective...that's the funny part about message boards

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
in the hall

that's cool, staal and my girlfriend share the same birthday

happy bday to what's hopefully our future mainstay on D.....

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Pizza

Now that he's 20 years old can he be sent to Hartford?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:16 AM
GarretJoseph

Does staal have any shot at Rookie of the year next season if he plays a full 80-82 games?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 07:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Now that he's 20 years old can he be sent to Hartford?
Staal still has junior eligibilty.He can't play in HFD until Sudbury's season is completed

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 07:53 AM
TheRedressor

The Rangers should definetly give him 9 games immediatley when the season ends. If he looks good, keep him, otherwise send him to Hartford for the post season. (if they make it)

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Happy B-day to our future top #2 dman.

Who cares where he is playing next year, all I know is that defenseman take longer then forwards to develop and he will sooner or later develop into that top defenseman.

Take your time Mr. Staal...no rush.....you will be a key player on the Rangers for years!

BINGO! I just want kids here when their ready. As long as he's making the proper progress in his game, I'm fine if he needs a year at Hartford. Look at Tyutin; he still makes mistakes you'd attribute to being young.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Fletch

Pizza...

his 20th b-day had to be before January 1 to be able to play in Hartford; just missed it.

Jon - agree totally, and I think that's where he will be. He seems as though he still may have a ways to go.

Old
01-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Greg B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
BINGO! I just want kids here when their ready. As long as he's making the proper progress in his game, I'm fine if he needs a year at Hartford. Look at Tyutin; he still makes mistakes you'd attribute to being young.
Also agree.

I'm guessing part of the impatience with Staal, besides that he's the top prospect, is the success his brothers are showing, especially when one is two years younger. But that's obviously not the way to look at it.

Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
his 20th b-day had to be before January 1 to be able to play in Hartford; just missed it.

Jon - agree totally, and I think that's where he will be. He seems as though he still may have a ways to go.
I think he does, too. Personally, I want them to be as careful with Staal as they can possibly be. He's our top prospect and he can be an absolutely ELITE defenseman if he's handled right and let develop. A few cups of coffee next year would be perfect for him, IMO. Give him 2 games here, 3 games there and spend the rest of the year in the AHL. Even the year after I'd be fine with them doing that. I think he'll debut here around the age of 22 or 23 as a full time player.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:08 PM
dank

i completely agree with the sentiment that he should not be hurried, after all he JUST turned 20 and JUST played in the WJC's. he is a D-man, which takes longer to develop and mature, so i wouldn't mind him splitting duties between Hartford (mostly) and NY next year.

and just because he is a stud d-man in Jr's, doesn't mean he is better equipped than even Malik, et al at the NHL level. hell, he even looked a little off in pre-season and in the AHL playoffs. no need to rush the kid.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Dank said it best, about how Staal looked a little off in the preseason. If you ask me, I've seen his low and high points since he was drafted. I've seen him come up in the preseason both years and have the play look like it was passing right by him, and I've seen him DOMINATE the WJC and shut down players like Malkin, Kessel, Okposo, Mueller, Ryan, etc... He's got a lot of time, there's no need to rush him. So, don't be surprised when he's down in Hartford. Will he get called up next year? Undoubtedly.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:53 PM
schmieder44

so what is the major reason Dmen take longer to develop? Is this a physical development that takes longer?

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Fletch

Staal should not be hurried, BUT...

I thought he played well enough this preseason (and last) to deserve a long look in preseason, especially given how the Rangers' blue line looked to start the season. It was worth a look in another preseason game or two, and maybe even an NHL game (and if a conditioning stint was permissible, without counting towards the 10 NHL games, which I assume it wouldn't, that would've been a way to get a longer look to see how he improves from game to game and see if he is ready). Again, it's not rushing, but at the same time, kids do often respond to challenges and do often get better while playing at a higher level of competition, but of course we'd have to deal with the growing pains, which I'm not sure management was ready for.