HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Jersey a perfect partner?

Old
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
TheGreatone94

vCash: 500
If NJ is on our radar, I would only look at Martin or Matvichuk, maybe Lukowich as well.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
WHAfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Let's not get carried away now.. Gomez is in a whole other world from Horcoff, no matter what their contract status is.

I don't think a deal would go down in which someone is attaining Gomez as a rental. If he is traded, I think he'll sign long term first.

Even if he were traded as a rental, why would you want someone back who is half the player and only 1.5M cheaper?
I disagree somewhat. I don't think Horcoff is half the player Gomez is. Gomez is a 1st or 2nd line center with wonderful playmaking ability, an underused shot but suspect defensively and, in the past anyway, prone to inconsistent efforts. Horcoff is a 2nd to 3rd line center with excellent work ethic and conditioning, admirable defensive awareness and focus, top-notch faceoff ability but inconsistent offensive contributions b/c he trys to do too much with the puck instead of making the safe play. I'd say he is about 3/4 the player Gomez is.

Obviously, if a deal for Gomez involved signing a contract 1st then, no, horcoff is not worth a Gomez. That is so obvious I'm surprised I even have to state it. However, Gomez, as a rental, is not worth a Horcoff by the current market, imo. The only team that might do that deal is a team on the very verge of winning a cup and needing a playmaking center. Also, it's arguable that Horcoff plays a more 'playoff' type game (i.e. a two-way player with strong defensive skills, versatile and won't dissappear with the tighter checking) so even that deal is unlikely imo.

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote