HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Team Needs Mike Keenan

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2003, 02:47 AM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
This Team Needs Mike Keenan

Okay, okay, the team is missing their first line center, their starting goalie, and one of their best defencemen, but I think that MacT has to go. A young team on the margins can't afford a prolonged losing streak, so something has got to give, and it looks like a Comrie trade won't happen anytime soon. (Which is okay, let the kid rot in front of daytime TV, I say.)

I've banged on this drum before: this team needs Mike Keenan. Given what he did for Thornton, Bertuzzi, Jokinen, Pronger, et al, just think of how his penchant for scaring the bejeesus out of underachievers would work on Brewer or Isbister. Sure, he'd hurt some feelings along the way (I can see Tommy Salo in tears again), but hands up if you'll take some name-calling for a few hundred thousand a year.

The time has come for Mike Keenan to coach the Oilers, subject to the following outcries of disagreement!

Old
12-04-2003, 03:31 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
So who will be the coach at the end of next season then?

Old
12-04-2003, 04:26 AM
H-Bear

I would much prefer Robinson (from NJ) myself. Same no BS kind of coach, without all the hate. Another bonus is he absolutely loves coaching the young teams (said so himself just a few days ago).

Old
12-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Okay, okay, the team is missing their first line center, their starting goalie, and one of their best defencemen, but I think that MacT has to go. A young team on the margins can't afford a prolonged losing streak, so something has got to give, and it looks like a Comrie trade won't happen anytime soon. (Which is okay, let the kid rot in front of daytime TV, I say.)

I've banged on this drum before: this team needs Mike Keenan. Given what he did for Thornton, Bertuzzi, Jokinen, Pronger, et al, just think of how his penchant for scaring the bejeesus out of underachievers would work on Brewer or Isbister. Sure, he'd hurt some feelings along the way (I can see Tommy Salo in tears again), but hands up if you'll take some name-calling for a few hundred thousand a year.

The time has come for Mike Keenan to coach the Oilers, subject to the following outcries of disagreement!
Keenan coaching your team is like watching a car accident happen right in front of you in slow motion...it's fascinating to watch, unless it's happening to you in which case it's then a terrifying and destructive experience. And he has this rep of leaving a team in greater disarray than what it was in before he got there.

His schtick also involves belittling and blackballing the team's existing leadership (see Linden, Trevor), could you imagine him drumming out guys like Smyth and Smith? I could. He does have an ability to bring out the best in some young players (Pronger, Jokkinen off the top of my head), but there's just as many that wilt under the constant headgames and badgering. Plus there's that little thing about Keenan's history with undermining his GM to the point where he tries an outright coup. I'm sure Lowe really wants that kind of stress in his life.

But the LARGEST reason against a Keenaning...would you really want Stephane Matteau as an Oiler? Because you know it would happen. :p

If I could pick one guy to coach this team, it'd be Pat Burns or maybe Hitch. Never happen of course, but I can dream.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:30 AM
gretzky2kurri

I used Mike Keenan in another thread as an example.

But I'm not so sure I would want him to coach the Oilers.

The guys so disruptive. The Oilers would end up paying him to sit at his cottage. Seems to be a trend with him.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Bohologo

Well Said, All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Plus there's that little thing about Keenan's history with undermining his GM
All of these points are valid, Keenan's history speaks for itself.

But maybe the problem right now is that Lowe & MacT are too buddy-buddy, maybe there's too much group-think going on. Perhaps a little sandpaper is needed in an organization's management that started out as really good friends: Lowe, Huddy, Simpson, MacT, etc. Are these the best people for the job, or the best buddies for your workplace? These guys may be losing the locker room because they're walking around with their Heritage Classic sweaters on-the current Oilers are likely getting sick & tired of being eclipsed by the glorious past.

BTW, I like the idea of Robinson coming to E-town to coach-excellent pull.

Last edited by Bohologo: 12-04-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old
12-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
All of these points are valid, Keenan's history speaks for itself.

But maybe the problem right now is that Lowe & MacT are too buddy-buddy, maybe there's too much group-think going on. Perhaps a little sandpaper is needed in an organization's management that started out as really good friends: Lowe, Huddy, Simpson, MacT, etc. Are these the best people for the job, or the best buddies for your workplace? These guys may be losing the locker room because they're walking around with their Heritage Classic sweaters on-the current Oilers are likely getting sick & tired of being eclipsed by the glorious past.

BTW, I like the idea of Robinson coming to E-town to coach-excellent pull.
Hey, no arguments from my end. I'm all for someone coming in here to kick some tail and maybe break up the frat house, I just don't want Keenan's version...it always seems to end with a messed up team and Keenan laughing all the way to the bank.

Robinson would be great here, but I doubt very much he'd come. He's very careful about which jobs he takes on, and I don't think he'd find the Edmonton opportunity much to his liking.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Doug Who?

I saw Bret Hull was on TSN or Snet this morning and he was asked the question "If you could go with anybody in hockey...player, coach or whoever...who would it be?"

"Mike Keenan"

Good ol' outspoken Bret.

Old
12-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Question:

If The Oil axe MacT, do they still have to pay him until his contract expires in 3 years?

Old
12-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Question:

If The Oil axe MacT, do they still have to pay him until his contract expires in 3 years?
I'm no expert, but I think unless the Oilers could prove that MacT had somehow breached the terms of his contract (aren't the black hawks doing this right now with their former coach?), they would be on the hook for the rest of the deal. It's the reason why Keenan can afford to buy premium gas and supersize his fries.

Old
12-04-2003, 12:01 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Question:

Yes they do, but I am sure you can arrange a buy-out.

Old
12-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Master Lok

Oh, don't worry. I'm sure Lowe could always convince MacT to be faceoff coach or something. (tongue in cheek).

Firstly, let me say that I'm NOT in favour of a firing MacT. A six game winless streak is entirely predictable considering our youthful lineup, lack of a #1 centre, goalie and defenseman.

But Keenan would be a TERRIBLE choice for Edmonton. Robinson however, would be much better choice, especially considering the upcoming youth that our team would really need (Pouliot, Niiniimaki, Rita, Deslauriers, Lynch etc.) as well as the current youth.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
So who will be the coach at the end of next season then?
Exactly - everyone always says lets get Keenan - he never sticks. Is he trying to become the first person to coach every team in the league? This team needs consistency - not change. Changing everything woudl shatter an already weak confidence.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
larry robison would be a good choice, he would like to coach a young team again.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
larry robison would be a good choice, he would like to coach a young team again.
As much as we all want MacT gone - it won't happen. The only reason MacT is still here is because him and Lowe are buddies - it's really that simple. I know Lowe does the whole "anybody who thinks Craig isn't the man for the job doesn't know their hockey" thing, but what else do you want him to say? "Oh, well, he's at best average behind the bench, but boy did we have some good times back in the 80's!!"

The simple fact is that he signed a three year contract, and barring a last place finish (and it'd be HIGHLY doubtable even then) we'll have him for the next two and two thirds seasons. Almost makes me want to cry!

Old
12-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Oi'll say!

Keenan is almost unhirable now because of his huge ego and the fact that he's the biggest "backseat driver" in the world of coaching if you catch my meaning.

I am very happy with all of the players currently on the roster and I don't want to see a fire sale of guys like York, Hemsky, Brewer, Salo etc.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:07 AM
T-Rexall

TOP TEN GRIPES OF PLAYING UNDER MIKE KEENAN: (Rik A. Kyser)
10. Don't mind referring to him as "Your excellency", but having to kiss his ring...
9. Locks you alone in rooms for hours on end in order to "psych" you up for games...
8. Decides to trade you, then doesn't, only to go through with it next day, then back off...
7. "He makes more money than our Franchise Player!".
6. Practice sessions and skate-arounds with live explosions and ammunition fired...
5. You want to shove some of that ice he chews down his freaking throat...
4. He trades away 3 of your friends and all your pads for an Orangutan and 4 bananas...
3. Drafts a forward from Mongolia in the 1st Round...
2. Being sent down to the IHL or AHL is starting to look really appealing...
1. He decides nobody deserves the Captaincy, so he gives himself the "C"...

Thought this was funny considering the thread - original source is:
http://ohiochill.tripod.com/HamptonR...irals/id7.html

Last edited by T-Rexall: 12-05-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Closed Thread