HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hypothetical (of the negative variety)

Old
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
WHAfanatic

vCash: 500
Lowe did the right thing with Horcoff and Pisani b/c he knew that even if their offense suffered both guys will ALWAYS be there defensively and providing leadership by example. This is exactly what has happened this year. Horc and Pi both started off slower than expectations on the offense but both are big contributors to the Oilers stellar PK record. Now, both of them are starting to come around offensively and IMO will be worth every cent of their salaries, especially when the chips are down.

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
vb

I'm sure Ottawa would be very interested in Roli because of his playoff performances. Even if he starts as a backup to Emery, he can step in when needed and probably take over as starter.

Something like...

Roli

for

Gerber, Preissing

is worth considering IMO.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
I'm sure Ottawa would be very interested in Roli because of his playoff performances. Even if he starts as a backup to Emery, he can step in when needed and probably take over as starter.

Something like...

Roli

for

Gerber, Preissing

Whoa there. Gerber is making even more than Roli for the next two seasons. I would only deal with Ottawa is Eaves, Volchenkov and that type of player are in the mix. Ottawa would need to find some other patsy for Gerber.

Roloson won't be traded though.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:

Something like...

Roli

for

Gerber, Preissing

no - how is that an improvement for us whatever positive we get in Preissing is quickly negated in Gerber

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Master Lok

Let's see... the big Oiler sell-off. It has to be with keeping an eye towards next year's roster.

Goaltending:
Anything in the pipeline? JDD, Dubnyk. Neither are ready to be #1.
Hence, Roloson cannot be traded away. Remember Conkanen? Without a suitable replacement, I'm not trading away Rollie, unless Biron is coming back, but why would Buffalo make that deal?

I would however trade Jussi away. While I love the Juice's attitude, JDD may be ready for backup duties next season, and its easier to find a decent backup than it is a starter if JDD fails to make the grade. I'd trade Jussi for the inevitable 2nd round pick.
Next season: Roloson, JDD

Defense:
Anything in the pipeline? Sure, Gilbert, Roy, maybe Syvret. But realistically, Roy *could* be a 5/6 dman, and Gilbert *could* be a PP dman, but neither one of them is a top 4 dman next season. I do like Hejda, and think he could possibly be a 3/4 dman.

What does that leave? Smith, physical, loyal and not that expensive for a top 4 dman. He's had a mediocre year - but he's not a #1 dman. Trading him away, doesn't actually improve the situation. Same with Staios.

Trading Tjarnqvist who's only on a one year contract does make sense. I don't have a problem trading Bergeron away either. As Lowetide said, he's a chaos defenseman, who can score points. But I'd like to give Gilbert a try.
Next season: Smith, Staios, Smid, Green, Hejda. Add a #1 dman in the offseason.

Forwards:
I'd like to keep Smyth. Sign him here. I'd trade away Nedved, Petersen and Sykora as they're in their last contract years. And the surprise? Pisani. I'm not a Pisani - hater. I've defended the guy so so so many times. But his contract is not good. And playoff bound teams may be willing to overpay for a guy like Pisani. If they're not willing to pay for him, then I'm totally fine keeping the guy. Sign another forward in the offseason.

Next season:
Smyth - Horcoff - Lupul
?? - Pouliot - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Pisani
Winchester - Brodziak - Thorsen

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
no - how is that an improvement for us whatever positive we get in Preissing is quickly negated in Gerber
It was just an idea, and I think you see where I am heading with it.

Also I didn't think much of Roli before he came to Edmonton, turned out he was a lot better than I thought. I'll be open minded to think that a goalie struggling on another team might step it up in Edmonton. He also might not but that is what scouts are for.

The other positive is Gerber is 5 years younger than Roli.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:39 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
It was just an idea, and I think you see where I am heading with it.

Also I didn't think much of Roli before he came to Edmonton, turned out he was a lot better than I thought. I'll be open minded to think that a goalie struggling on another team might step it up in Edmonton. He also might not but that is what scouts are for.

The other positive is Gerber is 5 years younger than Roli.
The difference is Gerber is no good and a waste of 3 mill unlike Roloson who actually earns his money, we went through a year of a goalie letting weak goals we don't need that again.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
And I'm saying you've provided no supporting evidence that Horcoff is even overpaid and therefore I don't see it as remotely interesting.
Oh, I thought Horc had already provided the supporting evidence for me j/k

In anycase I'm not sure what you'd want because you don't, as stated, subscribe to pts, +/-, etc and defer to other stats such as outscoring and I'm not sure what else which I am less familiar with.

I already explained my rational for what I think is a horc overpay in one of my threads. It actually has more to do with maximizing capspace for use in other ways than specifically being about Horc.

I won't go into comparables on this either because other GM's are still making contractual mistakes as well and I don't think price correction to the cap has entirely occurred yet.
Going too much on comparables right now doesn't makes sense as the contract precedents at this point still look like the product of a chaotic system.

For many gms in the league cap "learning" has not occurred and base contracts or offersheets will be borne out of necessity as most contracts are renegotiated and teams are crunched more and more against cap wall.

I don't want this team making that mistake. In fact if they don't continue to make the pissin away capspace mistake theres likely to be many good players available with few teams in the bidding over the next 2 years. But it may already be too late.

It will be surprizing to many here what 3.6m will bring in one or two seasons but I'm saying it now.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-16-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote