HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

My MSG Experience

Old
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
BigE

vCash: 500
My MSG Experience

Hi everyone,

I've just finally managed a moment to sit down at my computer again. It's been a stressful week - between missing my connection in Denver and having to stay overnight, then having United forget my luggage in Denver - my head is literally spinning.

I thought I'd just tell you about what an incredible experience visiting MSG was. I was fortunate enough to see two games while I was in New York: Ottawa on Thursday and Boston on Saturday.

First and foremost the crowd was INSANE!

Going down 4-0 to Ottawa was troubling, but it felt so great to burst out of my seat when we scored that first goal in the third. Then momentum just kept building and building, tension in the arena kept rising, and the energy was electric. I feel truly fortunate that I was able to watch the game live - even though the Rangers lost. The crowd going absolutely nuts when we scored our fourth goal. I've never seen 18,200 so alive and so loud!

I brought seven friends with me to the game and all seven were thoroughly impressed with the entertainment and the crowd.

I was so proud to be a Ranger fan after leaving the rink that night - man it was awesome and again, despite losing...

I know some of you saw that I was asking for Boston tickets. I was lucky enough to drop into MSG at 10 on Saturday morning and it just so happened that the Rangers had released 10-15 reserved family tickets. I picked up two more and saw an incredible game capped off by an unlikely Ortmeyer penalty shot goal. For a good few hours afterwards I couldn't help but think what that building must have been like during the '94 playoffs or during the NYR win over Washington in the 15 round shootout. All I have to say is unbelievable.

This all brings me to one very important point:

For as much as I love the Rangers, I love my fellow fans even more. Ranger players come and go, as do coaches and general managers, but that jersey, that arena and those fans will always stay the same. It's because of this that I'll always be a Ranger fan.

Broadway blue for life, boys!

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
broadwayblue

yup. glad you enjoyed it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
For as much as I love the Rangers, I love my fellow fans even more. Ranger players come and go, as do coaches and general managers, but that jersey, that arena and those fans will always stay the same. It's because of this that I'll always be a Ranger fan.

Couldn't have put it better myself. HOLLA!

Rangers for life... thru thick and thru thin

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better. Glad you enjoyed your time here - I was at saturday's game too (some guy gave me free tickets when I was eating lunch down the street ) and there were some moments where it was a little quiet, but the place was going nuts after Ortmeyer's goal.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Glad you enjoyed the games. You are right though there is nothing like going to the Garden, its a special place to me.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:38 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
well said, it's about the jersey and the garden

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Damn Big E. I was at the Boston game too, wish we coulda met up.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:24 AM
BigE

Ya I know! Mel was saying the same thing in another thread. Next time I'm in New York we'll all have to go out for a few rounds.

I can't tell you guys how nice it was to walk into the garden and hear someone sound like they knew what they were talking about. I turned around and it was the most unsuspecting, typical-looking New Yorker (who by all stereotypes shouldn't give a flying **** about hockey). Boy, was I surprised.

Old
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Ya I know! Mel was saying the same thing in another thread. Next time I'm in New York we'll all have to go out for a few rounds.

I can't tell you guys how nice it was to walk into the garden and hear someone sound like they knew what they were talking about. I turned around and it was the most unsuspecting, typical-looking New Yorker (who by all stereotypes shouldn't give a flying **** about hockey). Boy, was I surprised.
I was at the Ottawa game.

01-18-2007, 09:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hell yeah. Thats the reason why fans pay so much to go, even if theres a lowsy product on the ice. When the Garden rocks, it rocks. Glad you enjoyed it and got to see a win. Hope you stayed for the stick salute cause thats a unique thing in New York sports.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Gotta admit I've never been to a game anywhere else besides the Garden and the swamp. Obviously the Garden is truly a special place and the swamp is on the other end of the spectrum - but this discussion has me wondering...

Are there any other arenas as good as MSG for watching a game? Montreal? Toronto? Boston? Detroit? Someplace you might not think of like, say, Buffalo? I think next winter I may want to plan a road trip to check out an away game and I'd love to hear where I can get a similar experience.

Or should I save my money and do a baseball trip this summer?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
I go to like every game and guys like true blue bleed blue and balej20 know where to find me Should have come down to section 88 for warmups BigE, Im sure it would have been a pimping good time (more so then you already had). That being said, Im glad you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully you can make it back down before the season ends.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Fletch

BigE...

I was offered Boston tickets, but had to turn them down (and have eaten about 3 pairs so far this season). Just too much going on to get to the Garden. Would've like to've met up for a couple.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 05:29 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Gotta admit I've never been to a game anywhere else besides the Garden and the swamp. Obviously the Garden is truly a special place and the swamp is on the other end of the spectrum - but this discussion has me wondering...

Are there any other arenas as good as MSG for watching a game? Montreal? Toronto? Boston? Detroit? Someplace you might not think of like, say, Buffalo? I think next winter I may want to plan a road trip to check out an away game and I'd love to hear where I can get a similar experience.

Or should I save my money and do a baseball trip this summer?
I saw the Rangers play the Oilers back in 2002 and Rexall (can't remember what it was called then...they change the name every two years) was rocking. There goal horn is too loud if you ask me. The fans were pretty rowdy, but I'm not sure they top MSG.

Winnipeg Arena during the 1999 World Junior Hockey Championship was probably the loudest building you'll ever encounter.

Montreal, obviously, has great hockey fans and there not as bandwagon-ish as Toronto or Ottawa. They're more like Ranger fans: they hang on through thick and thin. If Montreal starts to build momentum like the Rangers did in the Ottawa game, it gets insanely loud in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
I go to like every game and guys like true blue bleed blue and balej20 know where to find me Should have come down to section 88 for warmups BigE, Im sure it would have been a pimping good time (more so then you already had). That being said, Im glad you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully you can make it back down before the season ends.
We sat in 342 for the game, and walked down to the lower level for warm-ups where all the people were standing. I'm not positive, but it was likely 88 because most people got up and left right afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I was offered Boston tickets, but had to turn them down (and have eaten about 3 pairs so far this season). Just too much going on to get to the Garden. Would've like to've met up for a couple.
Yeah, there are so many names I'd like to put a face (and real name) to. There will be a next time however. I just can't guarantee it'll be next year. I'm turning in my plane tickets to NY for some tickets to Bordeaux by way of Paris next year.

Old
01-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
We sat in 342 for the game, and walked down to the lower level for warm-ups where all the people were standing. I'm not positive, but it was likely 88 because most people got up and left right afterward.
If Dancing Larry was there then yup, you were in section 88. Its a touch inside the rangers zone by the blue line. Again, glad you had a good time.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
BigE

Is Dancing Larry the young-ish bald guy that just kicks and throws his hands?

During the Ottawa game he was dancing and some guy was infront of him doing some silly ****. Then some big huge guy came down and cracked the guy with a right and a hard shove. All of which was caught on the big screen. Hilarious.

Old
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I don't think he's that young, but he's bald, that's the guy.

I saw him dance on saturday but he's only done it at about half the games I've been to this year.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I give you Dancing Larry :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8p02c-Hvqw

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
BigE

Yeah, that's the guy we saw.

Some old lady got up and started dancing at the game and the crowd went bananas. It was right before a big PK too, and it seemed to pump up the team.