HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Nice Jimmy Carson article

Old
01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Nice Jimmy Carson article

link - LA Times

Good read

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Wrigleyville King

I'm a little shocked someone not named Elliott at the Times even knows who Jimmy Carson is. . .

Wrigleyville King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The article brings up a point that has never been answered-why was Paul Coffey traded for a guy Melrose would not use? I never understood the trade to bring back Carson and I have always felt with Coffey on board for the Finals run things would have been different. Anybody have inside information? As far as I knew Coffey and Gretzky have always been good friends and Gretz was pretty much the GM at that point in time, definetely 1 of the top 5 worst trades in King history which is ironic cause Carson makes best and worst trades list.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The article brings up a point that has never been answered-why was Paul Coffey traded for a guy Melrose would not use? I never understood the trade to bring back Carson and I have always felt with Coffey on board for the Finals run things would have been different. Anybody have inside information? As far as I knew Coffey and Gretzky have always been good friends and Gretz was pretty much the GM at that point in time, definetely 1 of the top 5 worst trades in King history which is ironic cause Carson makes best and worst trades list.
Seems like I remember hearing that McNall promised Carson after the Gretzky trade that if he ever had the chance to bring Carson back to the Kings, he would do it.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Osprey

This is the most extreme example of the dangers of putting too much pressure on a kid. You can ruin him. A much lesser, but similar example, is Lupul, who hasn't lived up to replacing Pronger. In the Kings' case, it means not putting a lot of pressure on the youngsters unless they can handle it.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
This is the most extreme example of the dangers of putting too much pressure on a kid. You can ruin him. A much lesser, but similar example, is Lupul, who hasn't lived up to replacing Pronger. In the Kings' case, it means not putting a lot of pressure on the youngsters unless they can handle it.
I think there is a difference in this instance though. Carson showed that he could handle the "pressure" of the NHL. It was the pressure of being traded for the best hockey player of all time that he couldn't handle. I can't think of anyone (regardless of age) that could handle that kind of pressure.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I think there is a difference in this instance though. Carson showed that he could handle the "pressure" of the NHL. It was the pressure of being traded for the best hockey player of all time that he couldn't handle. I can't think of anyone (regardless of age) that could handle that kind of pressure.
That's why I brought up Lupul. There isn't a current Kings equivalent, but that doesn't mean that the advice isn't solid and applicable beyond just major trades.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That's why I brought up Lupul. There isn't a current Kings equivalent, but that doesn't mean that the advice isn't solid and applicable beyond just major trades.
I am just alluding to the fact that had the trade been for anyone other than Wayne Gretzky that Carson would have been able to handle the pressure just fine. Hell even Crosby could not live up to how good Gretzky was at the time of the trade.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Carson has to be proud of the fact that he was traded for the greatest hockey player of all time and 1 of the best defensemen of all time. Not too shabby. That's a lot of pressure though when you score 49 goals and people still don't like you.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
brianguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post

excellent question, I'd like to know myself. I also think Melrose's critique was far from fair, the guy obviously didn't have what it took to be a coach for any big league team long-term.

as for Carson, I can clearly understand by the time you get to your third team in three years and are playing behind Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov that you start questioning yourself, or whether you'll ever be seen in the same light again. he asked to be traded to another team because he "wasn't Wayne", only to be in perhaps as bad of a situation. some guys can't win

good article

Last edited by brianguy: 01-15-2007 at 08:01 PM.
brianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Higgy4

I was always a big Jimmy Carson fan...even when he was in LA and Edmonton early in his career. I was ecstatic when the Red Wings traded for him. Although I have to disagree about his career and his lust for the game deteriorating while with the Wings. Sure, he had to battle Yzerman and Fedorov for some ice time, but he still had some pretty good numbers in his 3-4 years with Detroit. 240 games, 100 goals, 102 assists, 202 points. Thats not bad.

I think his stint under Melrose in LA seemed to suck the hockey life out of him.

He may have underachieved overall, but he still had a pretty good career.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Coffey was traded because Rob Blake was freaking monster. They decided to go with Blake instead of Coffey. Plus McNall wanted him back on the kings.

Dave in LA is online now   Reply With Quote