HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Schremp or Cogliano

View Poll Results: Who's Better: Schremp Or Cogliano
Schremp 42 36.84%
Cogliano 72 63.16%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
tank7

vCash: 500
Schremp or Cogliano

Hi Guys. Just got talking with a buddy of mine, and we were trying to decide who is the better prospect. Schremp or Cogliano. Who would you guys rather have, if we had to trade 1 of them. Thanks, all info appreciated.

tank7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Oilerdiehard

I said Cogs mostly based on the fact the guy has a good defensive game (he will be a great PKer IMO) and can skate like the wind. Those 2 things will help you contribute night in and night out even when the offense is hard to come by.

I think Cogs will be a pretty offensive player at this level though not a big goal scorer and definitely does not have the high end offensive potential of Schremp. Cogliano's all around game and blazing speed makes me more confident at this point that he will have an impact at this level.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
vb

Cogliano can already play at an upbeat tempo, though it looks like he won't be much of a finisher. I'd say he has a 75% chance of playing in the NHL, even if it is in a defensive role.

Schremp does have a higher ceiling, and if he becomes a better player than Cogs, the Oil will be in great shape.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Traktor*

Cogs can pass, finish, skate, and has a great attitude.
The complete player. I'll take 12 Cogs on my team and win the cup. The guy can play 1-12. I wouldn't put much into his showing in the WJC. The only thing I took out of it is that Cogliano has elite skating and Cogliano should have been paired with someone who could keep up, not some puck hog grinder. He won the player of the game 33% of the time and he didn't even produce much stat wise.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Cogliano brings much more to the table.
Too bad this wasn't a public poll...I am curious to see who (outside of Bryan) would perfer Schremp.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Lessy

I've never been much of a Schremp fan but I'm surprised how quickly, despite his sketchy start to this year, people have become a bigger Cogs fan. This poll last year would have been lopsided in favour of Schremp. That being said, I'd take Cogliano as a prospect. He obviously doesn't have the high-end potential of Schremp but I see him as a solid 2nd, maybe 3rd line centre (our Matthew Lombardi) and I think he has a better chance at being a regular than Schremp.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Showerhead

I think that with Schremp underperforming compared to (inflated?) expectations in the AHL and Cogliano having a solid season in college, it would be easy to get carried away with recent press/board clippings and give up on Schremp in favour of Cogs. However, I am personally worried enough about AC's lack of finish combined with how frequently he left Canada's zone before the puck to think that it's not the wash that this poll will make it out to be.

Can anyone offer numbers that show Cogliano actually kills penalties? Team Canada didn't use him for that role and a lot of people fall for the myth that speed automatically = great defensive player. While he may have potential in that direction I haven't personally seen it. His offensive style relies on speed and a puck possession zone entry and he does not win enough puck battles on the boards for me to think he is going to be as much of a Todd Marchant clone on defense as he may be on offense.

Anyhow, truth be told I've always been a bit higher on Cogliano because I prefer fast players but I think it's fair to point out some question marks at a time when it may be more fashionable than appropriate to bash Schremp. RS's points/game this season of 0.7 translates, according to Desjardins' equivalencies, to 0.34 pts/g in the NHL while Cogliano's 1.23 pts/g translates to 0.41 pts/g.

To sum, my point is that it's not that far off but I bet the poll ends up lopsided.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
iceman_88888888

cogs may turn out to be the second coming of todd marchant. while i enjoyed seeing his speed in the wjc, his lack of finish scares me. if he has the same %age as marchant did on breakaways, he won't be helping us out too much on the scoreboard.
i'd have a hard time choosing one over the other but at the moment, seeing the problems the oil are having right now, i'd have to take schremp and his lack of defensive knowledge just because he has the potential to be a game changer.
and stoll 16, i totally agree with you in comparing cogs to lombardi. all speed, some hands, and some finish.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:08 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Too bad this wasn't a public poll...I am curious to see who (outside of Bryan) would perfer Schremp.
I'll go on the record and state Schremp. Talents like Schremp don't come along often (sensational hands, blistering shot, good speed, all around offensive package). Talents like Cogliano are more common (fast, hard-working, some offensive upside). I think we could draft another Cogliano before we could draft another Schremp.

Cogs' WJC was very underwhelming from my standpoint. He didn't show much that would suggest he is a high-end talent like Schremp is.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'll go on the record and state Schremp. Talents like Schremp don't come along often (sensational hands, blistering shot, good speed, all around offensive package). Talents like Cogliano are more common (fast, hard-working, some offensive upside). I think we could draft another Cogliano before we could draft another Schremp.

Cogs' WJC was very underwhelming from my standpoint. He didn't show much that would suggest he is a high-end talent like Schremp is.

This is one of the few times but I agree with you (Except Schremp doesn't have good speed), while many people are ready to give up on Schremp because of a bad adjustment to the AHL he still as worldclass talent and if he reaches that ceiling he will be a better player then Cogliano can or will be.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:57 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
I'll also agree with ont and the others.

Cogliano, though he may turn into a very good player, can't turn into what Schremp is capable of, and I still very firmly believe will become.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Danglefish

I'm gonna have to take Schremp here as well. Although Cogliano does have the blazing speed, he seems a little timid when it comes to shooting the puck, and we all know how popular that is in edmonton But ya, Schremp has all the offensive skills to become a dynamo, and one half of a season doesn't depict what his entire career will be like/could become.

Danglefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:

That's the first time I've seen that phrase used to describe Schremp...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Maybe for a beer league.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
I thought Cogs Junior tourny was real good for him. If he had a few guys on his line that could hit a one timer better he'd have had about 10 more assists. But I thought he was real soft on the puck also. He'd bail out on a puck before taking a hit which bugged me a little. Schremp, if he can focus his energy into being the best player he can be will become an offensive dynamo. He's that good. Unfortuantely I don't believe he'll ever make it in the big league with MacT as his coach. MacT will bench him with his bad defensive play. I just don't think he's a MacT type of player. But I do belieeve he's more valuable then Cogs.

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:22 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I wont pass judgement until one or both are in the NHL or on the same team atleast

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:41 AM
oilphan

Best case scenario:
Cogs (hands of steel) = Marchant
Schremp has waaay more upside

oilphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:42 AM
rigger

Early on it looks like Schremp will be a Marc Savard type of player and if he does hit that level I can see him as a Mike Comrie player.

Very good on the PP and in the shoot out. Thats where he will make his money. On the other side of the ice he will not be as strong.

Cogliano I see being a Lombardi type (maybe just because I read the Stoll vs Lombardi thread) but he has all kinds of speed and good offensive abilities but will never be a top tier offensive guy but will always be a very good two way player. Jere Lehtinen ish.

Most people here would say that Letinen would be more valuable to his team then Savard. But I am concerned about Cogs lack of finish. Thats not something you can teach.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

until they hit the nhl

the arguement about who is better is Moot

they may both suck when they get to this level!

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Schremp is a better passer, stickhandler, and shooter

Cogs is a better skater, defensive player, and is 1 year younger

IMO it depends on what type of a player you like. If you like pure skill, it's Schremp, if you like a more refined game, then it's Cogs. For me it's Schremp because I've been tired of not having pure offensive players on this team other than Hemmer. Neither guy is physical, and neither have imposing physical statures. If you're the type that hates Horcoff as a top 2 line center then you should be a big Schremp fan, if you like a guy like Horc as a top 2 center you'd probably be more of a Cogs fan. I'm a Horc and Schremp fan, so I contradict myself

01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
jcoldwell

Cogliano

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post

That's the first time I've seen that phrase used to describe Schremp...
From Hockey's Future:

His straight line skating is average, but he has an excellent first step and accelerates well out of the corner on the cycle.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
From Hockey's Future:

His straight line skating is average, but he has an excellent first step and accelerates well out of the corner on the cycle.
He's a very good lateral and angle skater, that's what makes him so effective on the PP, but in terms of flat-out break-away speed, he lacks in that area. IMO his first step isn't adequate either because he could get more seperation in the O-zone if he had a good first step.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoldwell View Post
Cogliano
You've never had 1 good thing to say about Schremp, so this is no surprise. That said, do you like Cogliano, or do you just like him in this poll because you don't like Schremp???

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Ha ha, I voted schremp.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote