HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Initiations

Old
01-15-2007, 10:12 PM
NJDevs430

vCash: 500
Initiations

I went to the public skate the other day and someone skated up to me and asked if I played. I told him not really (don't know why I wasn't completely truthful and say not at all); then he invited me to what he called a "friendly" game of pick-up. He told me that no one took advantage of the beginners and finally said "Do me a favor and show up..."
So I'm seriouly thinking of showing up. I've finally acquired the requisite armor and it was my third invitation to play, but the first by someone who I didn't already know and who'd actually seen me skate; so I either impressed him or he saw that he could skate circles around me.
No - you start on the other team.
Oh ****!
Are there any newbie-initiation type things I should be on the look-out for like "new guy buys the beer". Do you have any experiences of initiations you were part of first-hand?

}:-)>

PS - We'll see how friendly it remains when the guys on my team see how much I suck.

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Go check it out, what do you have to lose. Unless this is high school, I doubt they'll have some sort of initiation. Maybe expect some good natured razzing, though.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Jacob

Most pickup hockey initiations involve a cactus and a woven basket full of KY.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Slick

I'm sure it's just a bunch of guys who rent out the ice every week. Sometimes when you get into a routine of doing that, you'll get guys that stop showing up and the others want to keep playing. Unfortunately when you rent out the ice the less guys the more you have to pay, so when you aren't getting good showings and it's not as much fun (or they're paying too much), you invite more people. Not everyone knows many others who play (except for the guys you meet through open hockey, etc), public skate isn't a bad place. If you notice someone with hockey skates that aren't rentals it usually means they play a bit.

Go have fun, you were invited it's not like you're prying on someones time.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Puckboy

Bring a cooler full of beer that is always appreciatate

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:27 AM
MikeD

You will ALWAYS hear "new guy buys the beer"...lol Your only a new guy once. Then its typically a rotation or BYOB. Should there be any other crazy/
stupid crap...dont tolerate such BS. Last thing you want is to be considered a push over!

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
WashCapsfan4life8

pick up is fun hehe pick up here theres basically no rules except no cheap crap and a few minor rules

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Muttley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckboy View Post
Bring a cooler full of beer that is always appreciatate
Yes, and the good stuff too. And don't put room temperature beer in the cooler at last minute!

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Yes, and the good stuff too. And don't put room temperature beer in the cooler at last minute!
That's what happened to me at a New Year's party. The host put all the beers in the fridge a few hours before and they were ALL still warm.

Old
01-17-2007, 01:08 PM
nni

no initiation for a pickup game, college sure, not a local pickup.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Miami Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
That's what happened to me at a New Year's party. The host put all the beers in the fridge a few hours before and they were ALL still warm.
According to Mythbusters, salt water and ice is the way to go unless you want to use a fire extinguisher. I have tried this myself (for water bottles) and it works like magic. It takes under 5 minutes to get it to around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. pretty crazy if you ask me.

Miami Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Muttley*

Quote:
lol, yeah but ya still drank it anyway, right?

Old
01-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Gino 14

The best things to do for a pickup game is remember to skate hard while on the ice, get off when you're tired, and bring a light and dark jersey. If there are any initiations, I'd be careful to avoid such a group, unless it's limited to who buys. As stated earlier, they may just be looking for bodies.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:16 PM
RJ8812*

just show up, have a good time, and bring beer

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
lol, yeah but ya still drank it anyway, right?
Of course, it was free! He had plenty of Guiness which isn't bad warm, anyway.

Off Topic, but I had Cambridge Seasonal draft yesterday in Boston before the game...and it's amazing. Has anyone else tried it from the area?

Last edited by Slick: 01-20-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old
01-19-2007, 10:10 PM
NJDevs430

First of all, I want to thank you all for your responses.
I'm really not a good judge of beer becuase I don't drink it. I can't drink a lot of alcohol, so when I do drink it's usually stuff like 151, ouzo, etc... Besides, it was a weeknight that ended at 11:30 and everyone had to drive home, and these guys didn't seem to me to be the drunk-driving types.
Anyway...I either angered or saddened the gods of hockey the other night.
}:-(>
It's really hard to play hockey when you're busy playing pick-your-***-up-off-the-ice all night. I bumped into a few people accidentally and knocked one of my own guys down. It felt like I'd never skated before, and damn that puck sure moves fast! Even when it moved slowly was moving faster than me. I had no balance with the stick at all and couldn't get my feet to move when I wanted them to. I didn't really get hurt badly, but that was only because I was wearing the Bauer USS Nimitz shoulder pads. But I did sort of twist my back out of shape. Luckily, I packed aspirin in my bag. Good thing I don't have any pride, or it would've gotten beat up badly.
My fellow skaters were encouraging and supportive and told me that I shouldn't despair. But they asked me for my e-mail, so I guess they may invite me back.
Thanks again everyone!

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:33 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
WHen I played JR B in Edmonton--we made the rookies run from the coaches house to the arena just in their under wear..

5k in Edmonton in Feb

always fun

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Marns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
I'm really not a good judge of beer becuase I don't drink it. I can't drink a lot of alcohol, so when I do drink it's usually stuff like 151, ouzo, etc... Besides, it was a weeknight that ended at 11:30 and everyone had to drive home, and these guys didn't seem to me to be the drunk-driving types.
It's really hard to play hockey when you're busy playing pick-your-***-up-off-the-ice all night. I bumped into a few people accidentally and knocked one of my own guys down. It felt like I'd never skated before, and damn that puck sure moves fast! Even when it moved slowly was moving faster than me. I had no balance with the stick at all and couldn't get my feet to move when I wanted them to. I didn't really get hurt badly, but that was only because I was wearing the Bauer USS Nimitz shoulder pads. But I did sort of twist my back out of shape. Luckily, I packed aspirin in my bag. Good thing I don't have any pride, or it would've gotten beat up badly.
My fellow skaters were encouraging and supportive and told me that I shouldn't despair. But they asked me for my e-mail, so I guess they may invite me back.
Thanks again everyone!
Love that part especially!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Panther View Post
According to Mythbusters, salt water and ice is the way to go unless you want to use a fire extinguisher. I have tried this myself (for water bottles) and it works like magic. It takes under 5 minutes to get it to around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. pretty crazy if you ask me.
But salt melts ice. How does that work?

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:40 AM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The best things to do for a pickup game is remember to skate hard while on the ice, get off when you're tired, and bring a light and dark jersey. If there are any initiations, I'd be careful to avoid such a group, unless it's limited to who buys. As stated earlier, they may just be looking for bodies.
This should be a standard rule written down for any new invite to pick-up. We've had the same group playing for years and yet I still here "I didn't bring a white".....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
Thanks again everyone!
Sounds like me my first time. You'll pick it up in no time. It always seems overwhelming at first, but you'll adjust quick if you have the desire to play. Keep your head up, you seem to have a good attitude towards it. The other guys should try and get you the puck to get your confidence up and get you used to the speed of the game, don't be afraid of losing the puck or anything just get comfortable with having it and the rest will come naturally.

Also, drinking 151 may be the reason you can't drink alot! That stuffs brutal.

Old
01-20-2007, 07:47 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson T View Post
Love that part especially!

But salt melts ice. How does that work?
Salt melts ice because it lowers the freeze point. With a cooler that means water to take the heat from the beer at lower temps=faster chilling time.

jet powered beer cooler...pretty funny

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Muttley*

Quote:
He had plenty of Guiness
the good stuff