HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

My Rant...SORRY

Old
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
westcory

vCash: 500
My Rant...SORRY

I am so sick and tired of people hating on MAB. I admit that he can cough up the puck at bad times but he is the only dman that has a good first pass (staios before he got hurt a month ago was also okay). The guy has started to put the puck in the net which is more than I can say for the rest of the defense as well as many of the forwards. Greene has taken to stupid penalties again. Gator has improved marginally but is still only number 3 dman at best. I hate to criticize anybody but some of the people are just goofy with their critiques of MAB. Start riding guys who deserve it like Lupul and Pisani. Or better yet KLOWE for not getting a dman sooner. I know people say their isn't a guy available but we have four picks in the first two rounds this year. We have many good young prospects who could be moved as well, not to mention some of our forwards that are underachieving. Please don't respond to selling low on our current players cause every gm knows how talented the players are and a slump in the stats doesn't mean much of anything. Bottom line is KLOWE and MACT are veteran players and they know the wholes on the team. There are glaring holes in leadership on the team as well as on defense. The leadership is probably the biggest hole to fill. We have players fighting, a goalie that is a mental midget and a coach that looks out of it some nights.....bottom line is we miss Peca and Pronger they kept both ends of the bench in line.

Sorry for the rant but I am frustrated just like you guys but we aren't scoring goals and that stems out of the forwars having to play too much in their own end and frankly we have only one dman capable of hitting forwards IN STRIDE with a pass on any given night. Everybody knew this would be a problem at the start of the season except maybe management.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:50 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

People will always rip on a guy like MAB because he is what he is; an offensive defenceman.

They are inherently disliked by a certain section of the hockey populace regardless of how effective they become.

There are people who still think Paul Coffey wasn't all that great...nuff said!

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
I am so sick and tired of people hating on MAB. I admit that he can cough up the puck at bad times but he is the only dman that has a good first pass (staios before he got hurt a month ago was also okay). The guy has started to put the puck in the net which is more than I can say for the rest of the defense as well as many of the forwards. Greene has taken to stupid penalties again. Gator has improved marginally but is still only number 3 dman at best. I hate to criticize anybody but some of the people are just goofy with their critiques of MAB. Start riding guys who deserve it like Lupul and Pisani. Or better yet KLOWE for not getting a dman sooner. I know people say their isn't a guy available but we have four picks in the first two rounds this year. We have many good young prospects who could be moved as well, not to mention some of our forwards that are underachieving. Please don't respond to selling low on our current players cause every gm knows how talented the players are and a slump in the stats doesn't mean much of anything. Bottom line is KLOWE and MACT are veteran players and they know the wholes on the team. There are glaring holes in leadership on the team as well as on defense. The leadership is probably the biggest hole to fill. We have players fighting, a goalie that is a mental midget and a coach that looks out of it some nights.....bottom line is we miss Peca and Pronger they kept both ends of the bench in line.

Sorry for the rant but I am frustrated just like you guys but we aren't scoring goals and that stems out of the forwars having to play too much in their own end and frankly we have only one dman capable of hitting forwards IN STRIDE with a pass on any given night. Everybody knew this would be a problem at the start of the season except maybe management.
Lowe can't trade with any team because other GMs think the Oilers players are trash or junk. They'd ask for Hemsky or Stoll or Torres for a soon-to-be UFA. We saw that last season when the Coyotes wanted Hemsky+ for Cujo who was about to become a UFA.

01-16-2007, 02:38 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Every defenseman on this team, based on the performance in the roles they're filling, deserves the same amount of abuse as Bergeron. They're simply not made for these roles. Staios is never a top-pairing guy. Smith should be a 4th. Bergeron should be a SIXTH not our leading ice-time guy. Smid should be playing 5th and Matt Greene should be a 4th defenseman as well (which is why he's succeeding to an extent)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post

I was just wondering about the player's fighting bit, I hadn't heard anything about that. Could you explain?

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:49 AM
oilerfanatic

i beg to differ...MAB sucks here...makes way too many mistakes...he was unreal at the beginning of the season last year...but then again, he was also playing with pronger...i think he's still a good player, but needs a fresh start somewhere else...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Send him and Smyth to Boston...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=332997

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Who hates him?

He does drive me nuts sometimes. For every good shot and pass is a terrible, see it coming from a mile away giveaway, an easy keep in at the blue line on the PP missed (a lot) and when he starts running around it is like watching a circus act, if someone does not bail him out the puck is going in our net. I always wondered if he has an inner ear imbalance or something because the guy loses his balance a lot and is pretty shaky on his skates sometimes.

He has a good first pass that often ends up on opposing players sticks at our blue line for first rate chances on net.

I like the guy and during the end of November and beginning of December we seen how good he can play when he simplifies things and keeps his mental focus for 60 minutes. I definitely like his shot selection decisions a lot more the last couple months. But we have seen flashes of his old self lately. I mentioned it before when we had the empty net during that amazing Dallas comeback MAB gave the puck away 3 or 4 times in a row (including twice in a row to Patrik Stefan).

I guess some people are expecting him to settle down more now that he has as many years at pro as he does. His shot and skating can break a game open for us but his head can sink one just about as fast. I guess they say he is what he is, I guess that is an excuse for him and admitting he can never improve? Those comments confuse me a bit, it is hard to teach offense but D, making safer passes, positioning etc... can and should be learned but maybe this is a dog that cannot learn new tricks? Is that what "he is what he is" means?

Having said all of that when MAB's passing is on he makes a very good first pass and he can wire the puck like few can.

westcory - I do not know how you could call Roli a mental midget and not include MAB in the same category? People are riding Lupul, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also I hate to break it to you but last season in the regular season, even after we got Roli we were not much or at all better than we are now (in fact I would say we were worse). How quickly people forget how lame that team came up when everything was on the line and only made the playoffs because the 'Nucks sucked just a little bit more. Had Vancouver not come up so ridiculously lame (a tad more than we were) during the stretch run we would have had no playoffs and people would look at last years team (including Peca and Pronger etc...) in a lot different light.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-16-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
oilflyer

I would like to see Bergeron stay in Edmonton. Though I do agree that MAB makes some very serious errors of judgement in his end of the ice - but he could be a dynamite oiler for many years to come if he can get the giveaway part of his game under control... If Klowe can make a move for another top Dman then we could revert back to 2 defencemen on the pp - which I prefer over the current set-up. Bergeron and real top Dman would be very nice...

oilflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:07 PM
CB420

Quote:
we have players fighting
I haven't heard anything about fighting? you mean a scrap in practice? between which players? thats news to me, if there was something, it woulda been in the papers or something. Cant make too much of that, most the time its a good thing, players holding players accountable, not leaving it up to the coaches, it can only be a positive.

Quote:
The leadership is probably the biggest hole to fill.
Honestly I dont really think it is... Jason Smith is the loudest voice in our dressing room, players will answer to him. Ryan Smyth is a 10 year veteran he knows a thing or 2 about leadership. Even Staios when he returns brings a voice in the locker room, I agree that pronger n Peca did bring leadership to us, 2 former captains of their former teams before we aquired them. With Hejda, Bergeron, Greene, Smid and Roy/Gilbert we got some youth back there man, we gotta accept a few mistakes at times, Bergeron I think most people are hard on him because we know he can bring more to this club.

Nick Kypreos has mentioned that the Oilers might be interested in Adrian Aucion from Chicago, as a possible player to aquire, Aucion is the Hawk Captian, hes a vet. he's been around, I think he would be a good fit here, hard nosed Dman, whos got a cannon from the point, would be able to help our PP. kypreos kinda eluded to the fact, that Aucion was benched, a healthy scratch by coach Denis Savard for a game. How often does that happen? Making the captain of your team a healthy scratch, he's obviously fallen into the doghouse in Chitown, he could be waived, and if he does get waived then if the Oil can try pick him up, we could take half of his contract, on re-entry waivers which i think is around 2.2 Mill...Im sure alot of other teams would be interested in him. So it wouldnt be the best move probly for Dale tallon to just waive him and his contract, he still has value on the market, it depends on what the hawks want back for him though.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Send him and Smyth to Boston...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=332997
must refrain from throwing an elbow

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote