HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Need some health advice

Old
01-16-2007, 03:11 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Need some health advice

What fun news to get just a day before I turn 25...

So I've been sick the last few days and today I go to see an ENT doc. He looks in my nose and instanstly tells me that I've got a deviated septum. Didn't say I NEED surgery but that it would drastically help.

Ok so this is odd because I've never broken my nose or anything. And even about 2 years ago I had a really bad sinus infection and my doc back home never said anything about having a deviated septum.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone else has had this before and if they've had surgery to fix it. I don't doubt that surgery here in Taiwan is any less safe it's not that I'm worried about, it's just I've never had surgery before and I dunno how common this is.

It would explain a lot though, a lot of times I'll feel a bunch of mucus/crap going into my throat when I'm not even sick, and I'm a bit of a mouth breather (although I never really tried to find out why, just figured cuz my nose was blocked often).

Joy.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Pred303

i have golfmade. playing football (a wide out, a middle linebacker put a helmut in my face on a crossing pattern). wound up being quite a long surgery for me as they had to replace the cartilege with some type of plastic. was in the hospital for several days. most painful thing was when they went to remove the packing before i could get out. wake up from surgery and you simply have cotton coming out of your nose. when they went to take it out days later, they literally strapped me in a chair and took needle-nose pliers, put his foot on my chest and started pulling. could feel cotton tear loose way back in your head around your eyes all the way in your sinuses. that part was pretty rough.

had to do it though, because couldn't breath from either nostril.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Surgeries can be rough, but if you need it, then its better to get it over with when your healthy enough to deal with the pain. If your worried about the diagnosis, get a second opinion.

01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
AdsSabresRule

Surgeries...

Had the cartilage taken out of both knees and broke my neck last year. 6 pins/6 screws and a 1 1/2 titanium plate slapped on the spine! But, to be honest, the neck surgery was way better pain management wise post op than the knees! They sucked...with the drugs they give you before, during, and post - op, pain management is a lot better today even since my first surgery in 96'...get it done if the doc recommends it. You can get a second opinion, but many times they concur with one another quite a bit, IMO. Good luck!

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Mayor Mike

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Ok so this is odd because I've never broken my nose or anything. And even about 2 years ago I had a really bad sinus infection and my doc back home never said anything about having a deviated septum.
Get the surgery if you can afford it. This is significantly improve the quality of your life. It may your first surgery but chances are the surgeon has done it hundreds of times and it is a simple surgery. Pick a good surgeon and I am sure there are many good ones in Taiwan.

Disclamer: This is a hockey site and I am only a med student. Also a Wings fan but I mean you no harm

Old
01-17-2007, 09:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
i have golfmade. playing football (a wide out, a middle linebacker put a helmut in my face on a crossing pattern). wound up being quite a long surgery for me as they had to replace the cartilege with some type of plastic. was in the hospital for several days. most painful thing was when they went to remove the packing before i could get out. wake up from surgery and you simply have cotton coming out of your nose. when they went to take it out days later, they literally strapped me in a chair and took needle-nose pliers, put his foot on my chest and started pulling. could feel cotton tear loose way back in your head around your eyes all the way in your sinuses. that part was pretty rough.

Injuries like this is why they went away from the leather helmets

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
predperson

Quote:

So I've been sick the last few days and today I go to see an ENT doc. He looks in my nose and instanstly tells me that I've got a deviated septum. Didn't say I NEED surgery but that it would drastically help.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone else has had this before and if they've had surgery to fix it. I don't doubt that surgery here in Taiwan is any less safe it's not that I'm worried about, it's just I've never had surgery before and I dunno how common this is.

It would explain a lot though, a lot of times I'll feel a bunch of mucus/crap going into my throat when I'm not even sick, and I'm a bit of a mouth breather (although I never really tried to find out why, just figured cuz my nose was blocked often).

Joy.
Lots of people have deviated septums. Many never require surgery but some do.
Hey...I know a Predator fan over on NP.com that is an EENT doc (voldemort82)....he would be the one to ask.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post

Good Lord....way to encourage someone Pred303.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:

Joy.
A deviated septum is a VERY common condition. A quick test is to hold one of your nostrils closed and breath through your nose. Repeat this with your other side. If the airflow is different for each nostril, you have a slightly deviated septum.

As per your post, you DO NOT need surgery. This is what I would consider a normal, abnormality. Being diagnosed w/ a condition does not mean you need it to be surgically fixed.

From your above account, if haven't suffered major breathing setbacks and have had it just now diagnosed, relax.

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
Good Lord....way to encourage someone Pred303.
grin.. it's my job

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, no comebacks on my age joke?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 07:50 PM
CBJ44

Send a message via AIM to CBJ44
I just had this done about a month ago. I was 100% blocked on both sides so it was defintely an issue for me. It was not that painful...just stay on your pain meds.
Is it worth it? I have noticed a difference but I was an extreme case. It's been a month and I still have random nose pain and the doc said it would be another month before I return to "normal."

just a lurker from Columbus but I actually have experience here

CBJ44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

broke my nose in a hockey fight

took three operations to get the job right

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Thanks for the response all.

I don't think I NEED surgery but I'll be getting a second opinion and just check more into it as well.

I don't think mine is terrible but at the same time it can be a bit difficult to do things like swimming.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote