HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Musicians Only Thread (No Drummers Allowed!)

Old
01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
The Viking Fury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Heh...tabs...
Cheesy, I know, but this thread could be my legacy.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Cheesy, I know, but this thread could be my legacy.
No more tabbing, did you check out Guitar Pro 5 yet!!!

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
No more tabbing, did you check out Guitar Pro 5 yet!!!
Havent had a chance to yet. I'll get to it this weekend. Too much driving around to do

Old
01-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Atlas

Guys, if I may be so bold...do your best to avoid tablature. It sucks the life out of the language of music. If you have no other option then tab is an ok thing to look at but learn the language: music theory. Music is just about the greatest thing when you understand what Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and McCartney were doing.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:12 AM
pgreene

i don't disagree with you, but that's some time-intensive study. i've yet to find a good instructional book on theory, so i've learned off tab. i have no doubt it's stunted my musical development, but i can't get lessons, and don't have time to really dig into it. if you have suggestions, i'd welcome them.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
The Viking Fury

I studied theory for five years when i played piano, but thsat was when i was in first through 5th grade, then I picked it up two years ago, but let it slip away. If I started again, it would probably all come back to me. Tabs are easier and more available i think, so I use them when I want to get the jist of a song quickly.

Old
01-19-2007, 10:59 AM
MathieuBourlique

I alternate between a Fender American-made P-bass and a Fender American-made jazz bass. The former sounds better, but the latter plays better (I prefer the slimmer neck).

I also picked up a Fender Mexican-made Telecaster Custom reissue with the intention of learning how to play guitar, but don't get around to practicing a whole lot with it.

I used to use the old Ampeg 8x10 cabinet--which weighs in at 165 pounds. Lugging that thing to/from the van while on tour was a major pain, but it was worth it. (Plus, when I die, they can bury me in the thing.) I don't need quite that much anymore, so I "downgraded" to a 6x10, which is significantly lighter but still plenty loud enough. I've used a GK 800RB for as long as I can remember--the two make for a good combo.

MathieuBourlique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Forks, Spoons, Knives, and Vic Firth.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
atnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuBourlique View Post
I alternate between a Fender American-made P-bass and a Fender American-made jazz bass. The former sounds better, but the latter plays better (I prefer the slimmer neck).

I also picked up a Fender Mexican-made Telecaster Custom reissue with the intention of learning how to play guitar, but don't get around to practicing a whole lot with it.

I used to use the old Ampeg 8x10 cabinet--which weighs in at 165 pounds. Lugging that thing to/from the van while on tour was a major pain, but it was worth it. (Plus, when I die, they can bury me in the thing.) I don't need quite that much anymore, so I "downgraded" to a 6x10, which is significantly lighter but still plenty loud enough. I've used a GK 800RB for as long as I can remember--the two make for a good combo.
at least you don't kill yourself with the SVT on top of the 8x10 on the road. I remember when that seemed like the standard, then everyone started switching to GKs, cause live it doesn't make a ton of difference and the SVTs weigh as much as many cabinets. 8x10 probably reigns as sonically the best, but yeah, it's hell to lug and I've found 2x15 will do the job as well (depending on your sound). Naturally you have to get the right 15s and the right enclosures though.

atnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
MathieuBourlique

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnight View Post
at least you don't kill yourself with the SVT on top of the 8x10 on the road. I remember when that seemed like the standard, then everyone started switching to GKs, cause live it doesn't make a ton of difference and the SVTs weigh as much as many cabinets. 8x10 probably reigns as sonically the best, but yeah, it's hell to lug and I've found 2x15 will do the job as well (depending on your sound). Naturally you have to get the right 15s and the right enclosures though.
Yeah--not only were the SVT heads an extra 80 pounds to lug around, but they also had, what, six tubes in them? It always seemed like a disaster waiting to happen to me (from a "breaking equipment while on the road" perspective). I dropped my GK a couple of times on the road and knocked my cabinet/head during a show or two--but, aside from a few dents/scratches, it was totally fine. Those things are built like tanks.

That said, the SVT amp still sounds amazing.

MathieuBourlique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Atlas

I don't mean to sound harsh about tablature...I'm here to help.

The reason I am so against tablature is that it messes with your subconscious mind as it pertains to music. It gets you into the habit of thinking "D string 4 - B string 2..." or whatever instead of thinking in broad principles like, "I'm in the key of F Major...the notes available to me are F, G, A, Bflat, C, D, E...I'm in 4/4 time with some interesting hits on the upbeat of 1...". And even more fundamentally, tab discourages thinking in terms of notes at all. Players who think in terms of what the notes are on the fretboard as they play are in a much stronger position...it's like Adam Oates who always knew what was going on hockey-wise...he understood the game so well in real time because it had become a habit (second nature) for him. Let's say that you know where the chord progession is going...and on the big G minor chord you want to bend to a Bflat from an A...well, in an instant you'll want to know where those notes are...if you hesitate you're screwed.

I can rail against tablature more but hopefully that'll give you something to think about. The only exceptional cases when I would use tab is when I have no other options...I've used tab maybe 10 times in my life when I needed info I couldn't get any other way. "The Rain Song" by Led Zep was one example where tab helped a lot and there were a couple Eric Johnson songs like that. Obviously, if the chords and notes are going by so fast that you can't hear then it makes sense to do whatever you can. But as a rule, tab will hurt ya.

Old
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

i learned almost exclusivlely through tabs and by ear.never studied theory or anything, but i know note names,chord names, and some scales, i guess im not the best musician...but i mean i'm overly content with the way i learned, im content with my skill level for the effort i put in, and im more than content with my song writing ability. and i just think people should learn the way most interests them. music is not only a really important thing to me, its fun.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh about tablature...I'm here to help.

The reason I am so against tablature is that it messes with your subconscious mind as it pertains to music. It gets you into the habit of thinking "D string 4 - B string 2..." or whatever instead of thinking in broad principles like, "I'm in the key of F Major...the notes available to me are F, G, A, Bflat, C, D, E...I'm in 4/4 time with some interesting hits on the upbeat of 1...". And even more fundamentally, tab discourages thinking in terms of notes at all. Players who think in terms of what the notes are on the fretboard as they play are in a much stronger position...it's like Adam Oates who always knew what was going on hockey-wise...he understood the game so well in real time because it had become a habit (second nature) for him. Let's say that you know where the chord progession is going...and on the big G minor chord you want to bend to a Bflat from an A...well, in an instant you'll want to know where those notes are...if you hesitate you're screwed.

I can rail against tablature more but hopefully that'll give you something to think about. The only exceptional cases when I would use tab is when I have no other options...I've used tab maybe 10 times in my life when I needed info I couldn't get any other way. "The Rain Song" by Led Zep was one example where tab helped a lot and there were a couple Eric Johnson songs like that. Obviously, if the chords and notes are going by so fast that you can't hear then it makes sense to do whatever you can. But as a rule, tab will hurt ya.
and yet you still haven't suggested a good instructional source for theory!

eric johnson=good. not a big electric guitar guy, but i loved the old cliffs of dover stuff.

Old
01-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The Viking Fury

I believe it, when I was younger I was just interested in learning as many Sabbath riffs as I could, as fast as I could.

Old
01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

when i first started i learned a lot of punk rock and metal, and almost immediatly started writing my own music, which i do most often

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
TempusFugit

I have Guitar Hero 2 on my Playstation. Does that make me a musician?

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Kroz

haha, ok sorry..but you probably don't realize how many times people have actually meant that and I've had to help them

I would talk drums, are there any other drummers on HF or what?

Kroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroz View Post
haha, ok sorry..but you probably don't realize how many times people have actually meant that and I've had to help them

I would talk drums, are there any other drummers on HF or what?
i am a drummer. kroz, we can lead the revolt on this thread. drummers unite!

i can't brag on equipment, as i still have the same p.o.s. kit i got when i first started playing at age 10, plus additions, hardware upgrades and good cymbals. i do, however, have my eyes on a d.w. kit i'm building into the loan we get to build the carport onto which i'm building a soundproof drum room.

what do you play?

Old
01-19-2007, 10:11 PM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i can't brag on equipment, as i still have the same p.o.s. kit i got when i first started playing at age 10...?
...drummers...

need I say more

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Atlas

pgreene, here's a good workbook to build up your music theory knowledge. When you start learning this stuff do your best to integrate it with something else that you know...like maybe you already know a song or riff in the key of D Major or G minor...you'll want to look at a song from as many different angles as you can. Here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Theo...e=UTF8&s=books

Let me know if you have any questions. Don't cheat and look at the answers in the back.

Old
01-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Pronger4Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
i am a drummer. kroz, we can lead the revolt on this thread. drummers unite!

i can't brag on equipment, as i still have the same p.o.s. kit i got when i first started playing at age 10, plus additions, hardware upgrades and good cymbals. i do, however, have my eyes on a d.w. kit i'm building into the loan we get to build the carport onto which i'm building a soundproof drum room.

what do you play?
DW's are fantastic. Good in any rock situation (Not so much jazz or swing)

What cymbals do you play?

Pronger4Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Kroz

The only way to go is up, get yourself a new kit when you can! It will suprise you how much you will be able to musically express yourself in almost a completely different manner than when on crap gear. Your instrument and care of it is a big part of getting good!

I have DW, and love zildjian A custom projection crashes, though I'm not an all zildjian player or anything, they don't make a ride I liked so I went with sabian for the nice raw hammered dry ride, best out there! (to my ear)

Last edited by Kroz: 01-20-2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: forgot somethin
Old
01-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Kroz

Also DW's can be managed in latin/jazz/swing, they just need alot of work, they were definitely more meant to sing out loud like in a pop/rock setting!

Old
01-20-2007, 08:56 AM
pgreene

zildjian a, mostly. 22 ping ride, 18 crash, 16 thin crash, 10 splash (cracked my 12 splash), 18 wuhan china (had a sabian 18 fast china that was awesome, but cracked), 14 new beat hats. i love the sound of zildjian's k line, and will probably pick up a 17 and/or 19 crash whenever i get around to getting the new set.

and don't knock the p.o.s. (it's actually a cp) set. it's amazing how fine crappy drums can sound with good heads and attention to tuning.

Old
01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroz View Post
The only way to go is up, get yourself a new kit when you can! It will suprise you how much you will be able to musically express yourself in almost a completely different manner than when on crap gear. Your instrument and care of it is a big part of getting good!

I have DW, and love zildjian A custom projection crashes, though I'm not an all zildjian player or anything, they don't make a ride I liked so I went with sabian for the nice raw hammered dry ride, best out there! (to my ear)
it's funny. when i first started playing drums mom and dad had gotten burned buying my brother a trumpet he played for, oh, 3 weeks. so mom chipped in half of the $300 purchase price for a five piece (actually, 4--i used my ludwig acrolite student snare) and said "when you get better, we'll get you better drums." after about the fourth gig or so when it became apparent that i'd actually found something i was quite good at, i started reminding my mom of that promise. i've given up after 20+ years!