HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learning how to stop

Old
01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Learning how to stop

So I just picked up a pair of skates for the first time in years... my skating is alright, though kind of sloppy for now. While I'm sure that'll improve in time with a little more practice, my stopping, well... I can't stop. I can sort of drag a toe and slow down, but I can't imagine that being terribly good for anything.

I was wondering what advice you can give someone who's never been able to do a 'hockey stop' but would like to learn? I don't have the slightest idea of a technique I should be using or anything.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who replies. I'm sure there are others who can use some help.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:47 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
I can't hockey stop very well either as im making the transition from roller to Ice but here's some of the tips i have gotten and heard of.

It's all about experience and confidence, something you gotta just keep doing till you get it right.

When you turn to stop, dig hard with your heels.

Do not neglect your non-dominant side, its equally important!

If you fall it means your getting better, after all, you are stopping =p

After a few more sessions im sure you'll get to where I am. Stopping fairly well on the dominant side, but with the outside skate just kind of gliding and not digging into the ice. This is pretty common among those just learning to stop. Means you're still doing it wrong, but have made some progress.

The way i look at it is it has to come to me as i keep trying every week, sooner or later I'll get it as long as I stick with it. When I fall, its better than when i glide 3 feet from the point which I'd like to stop at, and a step in the right direction.

Dont be afraid to ask people to watch your form and tell you if it looks okay. Proper knee bend is a must! (shouldn't be able to see your toes etc etc). And also make sure the skates are good and tight!

Again this is mostly stuff I've heard and find to be useful to me. I'm still struggling although i cant get on the Ice as much as i wish.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
My friend said he'd help me out tomorrow. Should be good. Thanks for your quick reply.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:20 AM
lotus

NP. I wish i could get out on the Ice more often. I am a HUGE fan of repetition. If i could i would be sprinting the blue lines every day and taking 100+ shots a day

Practice makes perfect, especially in large quantities, especially in hockey.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Happy Pony

I've never skiid but I hear it is very similar to stopping in skiing.

Here's some tips from my experience:

Take the weight off of your skates, kind of like jumping but without actually leaving the ice, then turn your hips perpendicular to the direction you are going (practice doing this both ways, otherwise you will find yourself a step or two behind multiple times a game). Bend your knees and put all your weight into the bend, this will send your blades digging into the ice and you will stop.

It will take a while, but don't get discouraged, you'll learn eventually.

Try taking a powerskating course or Laura Stamms book on powerskating for more help.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Slick

I kind of learned doing the one foot stop rather than the two. Just try digging into the ice a little bit going straight, you'll feel the blade catch the ice. Then you can start to turn it. Turn your upper body first and your legs will follow.

Also, I found it helpful to be prepared to fall and not use the boards to keep you up. Go towards the middle of the ice away from the boards so you don't become dependent on them. Only way to learn, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlewis4
Try taking a powerskating course or Laura Stamms book on powerskating for more help.
I second the reccomendation of that book.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 04:25 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
stopping is overrated. Just use the boards or people like Ovechkin does :-p

Turn with your heels, stop with your toes.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
redlighthockey

More importantly work on your edges, and balance. If you have edges and balance stopping will be a lot easier.

redlighthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:27 AM
redlighthockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
stopping is overrated. Just use the boards or people like Ovechkin does :-p
I laughed.

redlighthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 07:46 AM
MikeD

Science of Hockey

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Gino 14

Something else you might try for stopping is to practice crossovers, stepping sideways down a line. This helps with your balance, but also, as you get better at doing it, you will pick up speed. As your speed increases, you will tend to slide more. This sliding is the same motion as stopping. You will get the feel of keeping your balance while moving sideways, the stopping motion.

Something else that may help, moving slowly and trying to learn to stop doesn't work well. You need a little speed to aid in the transition from forward to side so you don't tend to catch your edges quite as easily.

Good luck, and remember that you have two sides, practice stopping both ways.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
spamojones

cheers team!
I was out skating yesterday for the first time in awhile, and I cannot stop at all (well the boards, and wide swooping turns)...this has helped!

spamojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
petenik

learning to stop is a progression and if you don't follow it you waste a lot of time.

one important thing is to not put the weight on the heel cause then the skate will dig in and you'll go ass over tea kettle onto the ice. the weight should be more forward almost on the balls of your feet so the skate is able to skid over the ice.

try this with one skate first...glide forward and lift your left foot of the ice while the right continues to point straight. slowly lower the left skate at an angle so you're just scraping the ice. if you're familiar with skiing it's like doing a "snow plow" with only one skate. keep practising until you can put the left skate down faster and eventually stop on the one skate. then try the other side and then add the other foot and you're flyin'...well stopping, but you know what i mean...

do it at an open skate too, not in the middle of a game

petenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Reckless Abandon*

If you ski, it's close to the same technique.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote