HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Practice Lines Monday, January 15th

Old
01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Practice Lines Monday, January 15th

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

"Tom Renney reunited his traditional defensive pairings today...
outside the top group, the forward lines were...
Brendan Shanahan skating with Blair Betts and Marcel Hossa;
Krog at center between Cullen and Jed Ortmeyer;
a fourth unit of Petr Prucha, Ryan Hollweg, and either Colton Orr or Adam Hall.
Jason Ward was paired with Darius Kasparaitis at defense, which isnít a good sign for either."

I am NOT someone who's called for firing Renney, but my patience is about exhausted with him.

Why on earth did we pick up Krog? So Hollweg can go back to centering a bizarre 4th line with a tiny 30 goal scorer on one side and a guy who can't skate without falling down (this applies equally to Hall and Orr) on the other? What's the sense in dressing Orr when Janssen is in the minors and what's the sense in dressing Hall EVER over Ward?

How is Cullen, who's good enough to center the 2nd line all season, displaced from the 3rd line center spot by Krog? Don't tell me Krog looked good against Boston and deserves some kind of a legit shot. Not with Prucha ending up on the 4th line. The guy's waiver wire fodder for a reason. This is Toms, Fedyk, Tim Sweeney all over again. If he's centering anything above the 4th line, there's a problem.

I am not even going to engage the merits of Betts as a 2nd line center. This Krog thing is just too disturbing in itself. The fact that it's practice and may be just for one game doesn't make it any less so. I hate to say this, but it's way too similar to how Kovalev was utilized by Muckler right before he was traded.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

"Tom Renney reunited his traditional defensive pairings today...
outside the top group, the forward lines were...
Brendan Shanahan skating with Blair Betts and Marcel Hossa;
Krog at center between Cullen and Jed Ortmeyer;
a fourth unit of Petr Prucha, Ryan Hollweg, and either Colton Orr or Adam Hall.
Jason Ward was paired with Darius Kasparaitis at defense, which isnít a good sign for either."

I am NOT someone who's called for firing Renney, but my patience is about exhausted with him.

Why on earth did we pick up Krog? So Hollweg can go back to centering a bizarre 4th line with a tiny 30 goal scorer on one side and a guy who can't skate without falling down (this applies equally to Hall and Orr) on the other? What's the sense in dressing Orr when Janssen is in the minors and what's the sense in dressing Hall EVER over Ward?

How is Cullen, who's good enough to center the 2nd line all season, displaced from the 3rd line center spot by Krog? Don't tell me Krog looked good against Boston and deserves some kind of a legit shot. Not with Prucha ending up on the 4th line. The guy's waiver wire fodder for a reason. This is Toms, Fedyk, Tim Sweeney all over again. If he's centering anything above the 4th line, there's a problem.

I am not even going to engage the merits of Betts as a 2nd line center. This Krog thing is just too disturbing in itself. The fact that it's practice and may be just for one game doesn't make it any less so. I hate to say this, but it's way too similar to how Kovalev was utilized by Muckler right before he was traded.
Wow, just wow. This is some **** we're seeing here. None of those lines make much sense to me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Those lines are terrible. Except for the top line.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Stormer

None of this makes any sense! Krog?????????? Another NHL flop........AHL lifer!!.....: Another sign that no one has any foresight! This is just alot of BS.........hang on for the tail spin in March!!! Jager needs rest, what abouit Shanny .??????????

Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Blair Betts, a guy whose ahl & nhl career assist total probably is lower than what Nylander has this year. and Hossa, a guy who is a decent 4th liner, but nothing more, with brendan shanahan, oh yeah, that trio is great. and petr prucha with colton orr and hollweg...well, gee, we might as well trade the kid because he sure aint going to accomplish much with those 2. besides get retaliatory hits perhaps.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Fletch

Betts with Shanny...

already proved to be ineffective. Betts and Hossa scored few goals together all season. Why would Hossa/Betts/Shanny make sense?

I'm not sure I agree that Jason Ward had played himself out of the lineup either.

The only think I do like is Cullen as the third line winger; however, I actually think Immonen would look good as his center there.

I think Renney's trying to match the Devils the best he can. Trying to create good balance, but he has one scoring line, and three confused lines.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

So there's 3 "bottom 6" centers on the team, but Hollweg is center the 4th line? I just don't understand.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
So there's 3 "bottom 6" centers on the team, but Hollweg is center the 4th line? I just don't understand.
Exactly. I thought that the one sure positive of adding Krog would be the fact that he would displace Hollweg. I guess not.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:20 PM
SPG

Jason Ward paired with Kasparaitis on defense???

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Fletch

Kaspar's..

the seventh defenseman and Ward's the 13th forward - in other words, both are unlikely to see action tomorrow night.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I cant understand one bit, how Renney changes lines like he changes his underpants.

I think weve seen more line combinations this year so far than any full season i can remember.

They explode in the 3rd period vs. Ottawa - IMO were pretty evenly tailored lines, he comes out in Boston with the same lineup and then changes his mind before the second period even comes.

He then pulls this crap. I dont know what hes trying to do here.

Don't worry because If Renney remains true to himself, well see the normal lines by the end of the first again.

What REALLY steams my pickle is that Renney puts these picked out of a hat lines together in practices which are very important this time of year. No wonder the team continues to play inconsistent - they dont have a chance to practice with their true linemates and partners because Renney has them bouncing around like Forrest Gump's ping pong balls.

Maybe he's trying to beat down into everyones mind that theres a certain way he wants each individual to assimilate to the system hes designed and no matter what line you are on, your role remains the same. Thats the only reason why i could see him doing this, but like a majority of the skilled players on the team - its getting way too fancy.

Keep it simple! Just shoot the puck, just keep the same lines.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-15-2007 at 03:30 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Taz

This team is so frustrating, Prucha should be playing 2ns or 3rd line with PP time, whats the point in putting him with Orr?

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Fletch

By the way...

a reason, I believe, for this lineup, other than the one I mentioned, is to get Orr into the lineup. Renney does like to match an 'enforcer' against certain teams (that's all I'll say, since I won't turn this into another Orr thread). Orr essentially takes Ward's place in the lineup.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Esa 10

You can level justified criticism at every aspect of Renney's new line combinations. They are horrid, particularly the use of Hollweg at center. As MJ aptly pointed out, we already have "3 "bottom 6" centers." However, mystyfying line combos is something I've grown used to this year.

What really galls me is Krog getting top 9 ice-time over Prucha. Think about it. A guy off waivers is suddenly higher on the depth-chart than someone who scored 30 goals for you last year. And it's not like Prucha is dogging it like Hall. What kind of message does this send? Just mind-boggling. And I'm not even gonna beat the dead horse known as Immo. How J.Ward goes from centering Jagr to being supplanted by Orr and Krog is also puzzling.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

FYI Hossa has 1 goal and 1 assist in the last 24 games the Ranger's have played (I don't know if he was in every game but I believe so)....

Wow we're really going to spark Shanny's scoring slump by putting a defensive 3rd line Center on his line with Mr. I Have 5 Points On The Season Marcel Hossa....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-15-2007 at 03:55 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

All this constant movement displays how much confidence the coaching staff has in this team.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a reason, I believe, for this lineup, other than the one I mentioned, is to get Orr into the lineup. Renney does like to match an 'enforcer' against certain teams (that's all I'll say, since I won't turn this into another Orr thread). Orr essentially takes Ward's place in the lineup.
But Cam Janssen is currently in the minors. Who is Renny matching Orr with? No one else on the Devils will go with Orr.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:51 PM
FLYLine24*

Why is Betts on the 2nd line? I find that most puzzling.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Why is Betts on the 2nd line? I find that most puzzling.
Because hes one fo the best playmakers in the league and can feed Shanahan.

Old
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Choice

Betts with Hossa and Shanny is very puzzling. At least Cullen is dropped down to the third line. Krog moving up is absolutely mind boggling, especially over J Ward. Hall or Krog over J Ward is an absolute abomination. Prucha on the 4th line again, greeeaaaat.

I just pray we dont see these lines tomorrow in Jersey.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
shoothepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
But Cam Janssen is currently in the minors. Who is Renny matching Orr with? No one else on the Devils will go with Orr.
And that's exactly what NY should do with Orr, (send him down). Janssen is leagues above Colton, and look where NJ sends him. As horrid as those lines are, Renney will change them back again in the first 10 minutes, or even sooner, if NY gives up an early goal, (he's done it all season). All these changes and matches should have been worked out in pre-season, months ago, with minor tweeking as the season goes along, (and it should be done in practice), not every night, in the middle of a game, and for no reason. This dosen't make any sense. Renney cannot effectively roll 4 of the same lines consistantly for a full period, let alone, one game. How can he expect consistant play, let alone wins?

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
TrueBlueSwede

Why canīt we see lines like this ?

Shanahan - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Straka - Hossa
Ward - Krog - Cullen
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmeyer

TrueBlueSwede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
We'll need Jesus to coach this team because it will certainly take a miracle to make those lines work.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Wouldn't it be terrible if the Rangers win tomorrow and all you guys crash the hf server apologizing that you were wrong?

01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Ola

Why are Betts on the 2nd line, Prucha on the 4th and Hall and Ward out of the lineup?

I would call that Renney holding the players accountable! What else can you make out of it?

I think its obvious, he takes out two players who were locks in the lineups a few weeks ago, one of them even on a 1st line, and who also in terms of talent "should" be a lock on the roster.

He moves up a 4th line center who is busting his but on a shift by shift basis.

If Renney goes 25 games with thoose lines I'll join the chorus, and call for him beeing fired. Last time he shook it up, we were in a slump, and we got out of it and went back to "normal" lines.

I am sure we will this time too.

And thoose lines are to shabby for now either. Betts and Hossa have created allot of pressure in the attacking zone on a regular basis, I wouldn't at all be suprised if Shanny steped in and finnished on that line. He gets to explore the chemistry between Cullen and Krog in a good enviorment were Orts can cover for them.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote