HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Average NHL strength levels?

Old
01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

vCash: 500
Average NHL strength levels?

How much do you think NHLers squat on average? Bench press? Mile runs?

I would postulate a 275 bench, 400 squat, and 5:00 Mile to be the bare minimum...

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Raoul Duke*

lol at 5 minute mile. Countless players in the NHL couldn't even skate a 5 minute mile, let alone run it. Re: Derek Boogaard, Georges Laraque, even legends like Luc Robitaille.

And if I ever see a video or stat of someone like Sidney Crosby lifting more than 170 bench, or a 300 squat.....

Gretzky probably couldn't wrist curl a 15 pounder. But he could play hockey. Let me know what it's all about though if you get the recorded stats of players. Maybe I'll eat my words and send a memo to Kevin Lowe to scout out the World's Strongest Man competitions on ESPN.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:24 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
lol at 5 minute mile. Countless players in the NHL couldn't even skate a 5 minute mile, let alone run it. Re: Derek Boogaard, Georges Laraque, even legends like Luc Robitaille.

And if I ever see a video or stat of someone like Sidney Crosby lifting more than 170 bench, or a 300 squat.....

Gretzky probably couldn't wrist curl a 15 pounder. But he could play hockey. Let me know what it's all about though if you get the recorded stats of players. Maybe I'll eat my words and send a memo to Kevin Lowe to scout out the World's Strongest Man competitions on ESPN.
LOL @ 170 bench and 300 bench. Are you fizzling me? There are 15 year olds playing bantam hockey that bench 250 and squat 3 plates for 10 reps with ease. Do you realize how strong these players are these days? Lol @ the ignorance in these boards...

Old
01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Raoul Duke*

lol right back at you. We'll toss those back and forth.

Weight training is not anything NHL players really work at doing too much of. Look at someone like Jarome Iginla, who says he dropped 20 pounds (and we both know that isn't fat) to get to a faster playing weight. What they bench and squat is highly suspect to each player, and really irrelevant.

Being bulk and pushing weight is not what it's all about in the NHL. Hockey is not an exact science. If you were moving furniture and a member of the Penguins, who are you asking to help you? Crosby, Fleury, or Orpik?

Mario Lemiuex, Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard all smoked (Mario quit in his first 2 years, but the other two - Lafleur still does, Richard did his entire life).... While that means little, there's not average of running a 5 minute mile.

The point is, there's intangables to hockey that can't be measured by strength or endurance alone.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
LOL @ 170 bench and 300 bench. Are you fizzling me? There are 15 year olds playing bantam hockey that bench 250 and squat 3 plates for 10 reps with ease. Do you realize how strong these players are these days? Lol @ the ignorance in these boards...
That sounds freaky, are you hanging around a weight room watching 15 year olds lift?

AvengerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
octopi

Quote:
250 at 15?!

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
Quote:
Yea. Crosby has a very average upper body for the NHL and I would say he benches at least 225. I can't imagine how much he squats; he is built like a tree. Players are very physically fit these days. They aren't football strong, but they are much strong than the average person.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
DevilsSMASH

You can expect most hockey players' squat to be way out of proportion to their bench, simply because leg strength and explosiveness is much more important in hockey.

That being said, I'd expect the average to be about 250lbs. bench and 500-600 squat. Remember, that's the average. There are a lot of lanky skill guys in the league, and the league average height is only about 6'1".

DevilsSMASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Rotang

Found some benchpressing info

"That's why I was stuck in the minors for seven years. I used to struggle to bench press 185 pounds. Now, I can do at least 13 repetitions of 200 pounds" -Legace

http://www.nhl.com/columns/wigge/legace042506.html

And that's a goaltender, so this is likely the lower end.

"In the sport of NHL hockey there have been athletes who have bench press just over 450lbs according to former L.A. Kings coach and player Barry Melrose. For example, top notch fighter in the NHL and Defense men Tony Twist can bench 405 with 25lbs plates added to the 405lbs barbell.. Who said hockey players weren't strong? There are plenty who can climb up into the mid 400s."
http://www.criticalbench.com/pro-ath...ench-press.htm

And these are obviously the extremes. I don't think it's farfetch'd to say that the average NHL player benchpresses in the mid-200's.

Last edited by Rotang: 01-16-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Rotang

Man are these articles corny...but here's one regarding squats:

"Is it a coincidence that the NHL's fastest skater is also the league's strongest squatter? Marion Gaborick who recently won the single lap speed race at the NHL All-Star game is able to full-squat 500lbs at a bodyweight of 190lbs! That is better than 90% of professional football players"

http://www.playyourgame.com/ballantyne-06162003.html

Not sure how credible this interview was, calling Gaborik the league's strongest squatter, and mispelling his name in the process.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
GoBlues39

keep in mind legacy is very small in comparison to most nhlers at 5'9" and only 162lbs!
you definitely have to be very fit and strong to compete in the nhl these days

GoBlues39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Balej20*

Hockey players I'm sure can squat a ton. They have extremely strong legs, it's a must to be in the NHL. You'd probably be surprised with how high these guys can squat.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
FuTMaR*

I train with Chad Moreau who is Strength Trainer of the Oilers and i know that he told me Gaborik can squat over 450 and Matt Greene can Overhead squat almost 200. Ethan is a beast too.

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
AnthroPagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
250 at 15?!
I could do 200 at 14 years old, but only 4 reps....I also had a 46 inch chest at the time but had terrible endurance.

AnthroPagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:38 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I remember Joe Thornton in his second year increased his bench to 225. I was shocked as I am 5'6" 175 and 225 was my workout weight (3 sets of 10 at 225). I know they look for explosiveness and their workouts are different and they look to drive the bar from chest to extension. I've also read that the squat is also generally about 135 done in sets of 10 with explosiveness through the lift trying to tune the fast twitch muscle fibers.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:20 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroPagan View Post
I could do 200 at 14 years old, but only 4 reps....I also had a 46 inch chest at the time but had terrible endurance.
I maxed out at about 100 bench press free weights.

I thought that was pretty good....which I guess it was as I was a 15 year old girl at the time. I never really tried to go much above it, altho once, a year later, I maxed a "women's" machine which supposedly went to 140lbs.I have suspicions it may have been on the "assist" setting, however.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:

You're underestimating NHLers strength for sure. I work at a computer and do nothing strength-wise (enjoy tennis), and decided to give it a go a couple of years back. My initial one-time bench press was 180 lbs - within one month of working out two to three times per week, I was pressing 215 lbs. I concentrated on heavy lifting though and fewer reps. Still, I'm sure any NHLer certainly would be able to better this easily.

Have a steak and try it yourself. You'll be amazed at how fast you gain strength and noticeably feel the building of muscle mass.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:

Weight training is not anything NHL players really work at doing too much of. Look at someone like Jarome Iginla, who says he dropped 20 pounds (and we both know that isn't fat) to get to a faster playing weight. What they bench and squat is highly suspect to each player, and really irrelevant.

Being bulk and pushing weight is not what it's all about in the NHL. Hockey is not an exact science. If you were moving furniture and a member of the Penguins, who are you asking to help you? Crosby, Fleury, or Orpik?

Mario Lemiuex, Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard all smoked (Mario quit in his first 2 years, but the other two - Lafleur still does, Richard did his entire life).... While that means little, there's not average of running a 5 minute mile.

The point is, there's intangables to hockey that can't be measured by strength or endurance alone.

Haha you're really something bud. Also note that Iginla (who only lost 10 pounds for quickness purposes, not 20 as you purport) was one of the strongest men in the NHL before his weight loss, and probably still is. For NCAA D-1 hockey, player averages are bench 275 and squat 400. They also have to run 2 miles in 12 minutes (not hard by any means). So it's obviously about that for the NHL...

Old
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Hank19

Quote:

I agree. Each player is different. I've read that Marty Lapointe can bench over 400 lbs. And then I hear how Eric Staal can't even bench a loaf of bread.
I have a copy of NHL All Access and there are a few scenes in the dressing room with players shirts off. I'd say half of them look like they've been in a weight room while the other half can't spell 'weight room'.

If I had to guess I'd say the average bench would be 180 lb and squat 250-300.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
And then I hear how Eric Staal can't even bench a loaf of bread.
Strength is good but apparently guys like Gretzky and Larionov had puny little muscles and couldn't lift very much.

And I still say I could beat up Jiri Hudler....

Old
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
A lot of the difference is doing heavy weights - low reps, or doing heavy weights - high reps.

Players don't want to add bulk because that will limit their moblilty, but at the same time they need to keep their stregnth up. While many players will lift heavy weights, you won't see them doing things like BP 500 lbs twice. That being said, more and more players are moving towards using balance boards and balance balls in their training. It builds core stregnth which is something for any sport you require.

I'm not just randomly making up these either. I coach athletes who will be attending World Under 18s (in another sport). One is an 11 year old girl, the other a 15 year old boy.

01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadiggitystank View Post
Found some benchpressing info

"In the sport of NHL hockey there have been athletes who have bench press just over 450lbs according to former L.A. Kings coach and player Barry Melrose. For example, top notch fighter in the NHL and Defense men Tony Twist can bench 405 with 25lbs plates added to the 405lbs barbell.. Who said hockey players weren't strong? There are plenty who can climb up into the mid 400s."
http://www.criticalbench.com/pro-ath...ench-press.htm
When the article that you found that from starts with the following statement, I'm a little bit skeptical:
"Disclaimer: This article is for amusement purposes only. The bench press statistics we have compiled are not guaranteed to be 100% accurate."

I HIGHLY doubt that many guys in the NHL can bench over 400. That's a ridiculous amount of weight. I'd venture a guess that the average is somewhere around 250.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:27 PM
MXD

Hummmm... What is squat? (sorry, I'm not english)
PM Pls.

For the record : I guess a guy like Daniel Briere doesn't bench much more than 170 pounds.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Hockey players like Crosby and St. Louis can probably squat and leg-press astronomical totals.

Hockey requires much different muscles than the average person works out, so it would be fairly hard to accurately judge a players "strength."

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
norrisnick

No picture of Raitis Ivanans bicep yet?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote