HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Aaron Downey?

Old
01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
FlavorFlav

vCash: 500
Why Downey indeed. I cringe each time he fights. The guy has not flat out won a fight in ... shoot, years. I actually get a little embarassed to see him get slapped out every time. I mean the guy was effective in his time. But that has LONG passed. I love the guy, I mean offer him some coaching duty, but he is useless otherwise.

My opinion, sign / trade for / call up / whatever one of the 200 goons in the AHL / ECHL (à la Godard / Lessard / Worrell / who the hell ever). At least that way we get a guy who can scrap, and likely on par in the hocke dept. with Aaron. No further behind.

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:02 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
Why Downey indeed. I cringe each time he fights. The guy has not flat out won a fight in ... shoot, years.
I thought he bettered Chris Neil earlier this year:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N2ija6Tp4dY

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:05 PM
SwordSlash666

I think Aaaron Downey brings more to the table that we may think...

You know, this guy just bleeds red, white and blue. He plays only a few minutes in a few games, it's not like he's stealing some precious minutes for a prospect. He doesn't have the talent of a Steve Begin but at least, he always gives his 100%. He's not an important piece of the puzzle but what are you gonna do? Remove him from the line-up to have Grabovsky play three minutes?

SwordSlash666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordSlash666 View Post
I think Aaaron Downey brings more to the table that we may think...

You know, this guy just bleeds red, white and blue. He plays only a few minutes in a few games, it's not like he's stealing some precious minutes for a prospect. He doesn't have the talent of a Steve Begin but at least, he always gives his 100%. He's not an important piece of the puzzle but what are you gonna do? Remove him from the line-up to have Grabovsky play three minutes every 6 games?
Added a few words to further emphasize what you're saying.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:43 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
i think hes a brutal player just as much as anyone but before u keep thinking he is a useless fighter, watch this....
http://thatvideosite.com/view/557.html

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Leon_La_Came

You're totally right, in the so-called new NHL wrestlers like Downey (he's a real olympic wrestlers, by the way) are useless. I'd rather see a real hockey player who can drop the gloves if it's needed, like Lapperrière, Bégin (not this year, thought), Neil...

At least, Downey is funny!!!!!!!! We can give him credit for that

BTW, i'm wondering if the hilarious blooper of last night has been broadcast on You Tube (see my other post about Yvon Pedneault )

Leon_La_Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:20 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
i think hes a brutal player just as much as anyone but before u keep thinking he is a useless fighter, watch this....
http://thatvideosite.com/view/557.html
he's a terrible fighter. he got lucky against Boulerice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0eYfUiwPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPppB7p1kg

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:56 PM
wildone26*

I dont see his need since you have 2 guys who can be extra forwards or extra defenceman when you exclude Downey. So really when you have the 20 other skaters healthy it is like having 14 forwards to choose from and 8 defenceman all at the same time. Even with 1 or 2 injured he still wont get to play it seems like, and it is easier to just call up a kid to fill the roster spot for that time anyway.

So I dont see the need for him, he should join Murray on waivers.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

and then we could go from one of the most limp-wristed teams to the most...

please no... downey's all we got... although he may loose he's not scared.... not scared... a lot of our guys are wusses of the highest order...

here's the montage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b98P5dgoUbg

watch them all... hockey fighting is not about winning and losing it's not boxing... it's about sticking up for yourself or your teammates... he gets it done. watch him fight Peter Worrell at the end of the clip... now that is guts

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
and then we could go from one of the most limp-wristed teams to the most...

please no... downey's all we got... although he may loose he's not scared.... not scared... a lot of our guys are wusses of the highest order...

here's the montage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b98P5dgoUbg

watch them all... hockey fighting is not about winning and losing it's not boxing... it's about sticking up for yourself or your teammates... he gets it done. watch him fight Peter Worrell at the end of the clip... now that is guts
Should have picked up Georges Laraque.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

that would have made my year...
I'd pay good money to see someon in our jersey mop the floor with mcgrattan and use neil as the bucket

Old
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
Aaron Downey-- more guts than a truck stop... it's gotta be tough for guys to see him drop the gloves and trade punches with Brashear and than justify being too scared to go into the corner, or take a hit to move the friggin puck...
There wasn't a whole lot of trading going on in that fight..

01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have Downey Syndrome... it's an extra chromosone I think...

Old
01-19-2007, 05:24 PM
buddahsmoka1

Hes a good guy to have in the locker room and bench and gives 110%, and can fight when needed, why not have him as a extra forward?

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Yeah, take out any of the remaining toughness on our forward lines for more guys that play exactly the same type of game that perezhogin and Pleks already play. We've got our quota on guys like those..guys who really dont produce anyways, despite this so called great amount of skill and potential. It's not being realized. TBH, I havent been impressed whenever Kost has been called up, and perez is pretty much testing my last nerve. If you cant put a puck in the net, at least play physically.

I hate softies.
Also Gainey really should have brought back Corson when that rumour was floating about a few years ago. A guy who can easily play on the 4th line and never be a detriment on the ice.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Kirk Muller

the question is, if a guys is only play 30 times a year, isn't it better to have someone like Downey do it instead of someone you are trying to develop.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
the question is, if a guys is only play 30 times a year, isn't it better to have someone like Downey do it instead of someone you are trying to develop.
Not really , because in Hamilton , they will develop better than playing 30 times a season . Downey is a hardworker who don't have the Kovalchuk talent , but skate really fast and aren't shy to disturb the opposite player . He's also a leader and a team player , what I like about him is that he know his role and accept every decision of the coach about him .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Not really , because in Hamilton , they will develop better than playing 30 times a season . Downey is a hardworker who don't have the Kovalchuk talent , but skate really fast and aren't shy to disturb the opposite player . He's also a leader and a team player , what I like about him is that he know his role and accept every decision of the coach about him .
i don't think you properly read what i wrote . you are actually agreeing with what i said.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:53 AM
marvelousmotion

Whats wrong with keeping Downey around? hes not a liability on this team by any means as long as hes not playing all 82 games and gets 10 minutes of icetime.. Carbo and Gainey knows better than any of us. They didnt bring him from Dallas for no reasons. They know him well, they know this guy is always positive, wont complain if he sits in the stands and will get his job done when on the ice. Great guy to have around in the locker room, funny and respected by everyone. Its not like he was taking icetime away from anyone

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Classless Goon
Robble Robble

You guys should have signed Donald Brashear this summer. Seriously.
After Clarke let him go, he sent Bob Gainey a fax or an e-mail or something(I don't remember exactly), saying he wanted to play in Montreal, that he'd sign for league minimum and all, but Bob declined. He kept Downey instead. Wich was a mistake, IMO.
I'd take Brash over Downey any day of the week. I respect Downey's willingness and all, but overall, he plain sucks as an enforcer. When's the last time he actually won a fight? And as a player? I'm sorry, he might not be a Darren Langdon skating wise, but he dosen't exactly skate like the wind does he?.
Brashear on the other hand, not only happens to be one of the league's top enforcers, he can also skate a regular shift and has an occasional scoring touch, and while he'll never be confused with Wayne Gretzky, he's still 10X the hockey player Aaron Downey is.
Bottom line, I just think that a guy like Brash who can actually do a difference in the enforcing department, and sometimes contribute in other ways is still more useful than a guy like Downey who basically is always scratched because he sucks as a player and sucks as an enforcer too.

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote