HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Goaltending Situation...

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 11:31 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Goaltending Situation...

Okay, the way I see it is Salo will get 2 games in a row the second he is healthy to give Conks a break. I think everyone is in agreement that the Oilers need to ride the hot goaltender, no matter who it is...

But what happens if:

Salo plays about 5 or 6 very solid games, then has an off-night... do you see if maybe it was only that night, or do you immediately put Conks in the next game?

Old
12-05-2003, 11:38 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Okay, the way I see it is Salo will get 2 games in a row the second he is healthy to give Conks a break. I think everyone is in agreement that the Oilers need to ride the hot goaltender, no matter who it is...

But what happens if:

Salo plays about 5 or 6 very solid games, then has an off-night... do you see if maybe it was only that night, or do you immediately put Conks in the next game?
After 5 or 6 solid games Conks goes in because Tommy probably deserves and needs a rest. When we have the depth why not use it and just forget about the controversy?

Old
12-05-2003, 12:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
:p

Hypothetically speaking then...

Old
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Slats432

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but did anyone realize that 3,633 people voted for Tommy Salo to be the starting goalie for the Western Conference in the All Star Game?

Old
12-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Hairball

How does that relate to the other goalie potentials?

Since Conklin has proven himself in big game situations, and Tommy is our #1, something we could try is this:
Tommy- 2-3 games
Ty- 1 game
Tommy- 2-3 games
Ty- 1 game

Just keep rotating them regardless of who we're playing.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:37 PM
gretzky2kurri

5 good games? I guess I would give Tommy another start.

Stinks the joint out with his "chance".

Spin that wheel and give Conks a shot.

That's just me though.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Boondock Saint

So what if Salo comes back and struggles mightily??

Perhaps this is the wrench stuck in the gears of the Comrie deal. Maybe KLo is waiting to see how Salo plays when he's back from his injury before deciding on who to acquire for Comrie.

Old
12-05-2003, 03:27 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

never thought about that angle. perhaps lowe is waiting to see how salo does once he gets back.
the team is playing so bad in front of either one of these goaltenders that splitting the duties for the rest of the season might not be a bad idea. the oilers get a good read on conklin and whether or not the oilers pick up salos option for next year. the oilers will not make the playoffs this year so evaluating the both of them makes sense.

Old
12-05-2003, 03:48 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
the oilers will not make the playoffs this year so evaluating the both of them makes sense.
That assumption is totally premature TWO just two games below .500.

Edmonton@San Jose Dec 11
Edmonton@Phoenix Dec 12
Edmonton@Anaheim Dec 14
Edmonton@Los Angeles Dec 16(probably out of the running now)

All of these teams have displayed interest in Comrie at some point maybe were just waiting till after the head-to-head game not far away at all now.

I support G2K's method of goalie selection

Old
12-05-2003, 04:00 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

keep living that pipe dream faceless. what makes you honestly think they can make the playoffs this year.
dare i say this even calgary is in front of us and you know what"slaps himself silly" what they play with a lot more emotion than this team.
my only point was to platoon the two of them.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:06 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

and to let you know i dont assume they wont make the playoffs i just believe this team doesnt have the leadership, special teams, emotion and will to make it. that is all. dont presume to assume i assumed that remark. take that chretien and donald rumsfeld.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:07 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
keep living that pipe dream faceless. what makes you honestly think they can make the playoffs this year.
dare i say this even calgary is in front of us and you know what"slaps himself silly" what they play with a lot more emotion than this team.
my only point was to platoon the two of them.
Well I will keep hoping regardless. Here's a good post I'd like you to read

read me!

Old
12-05-2003, 04:12 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

great thanks interesting read he is entitled to his opinion. i just see a lot of teams who have improved greatly and win or lose it will be tough for the oilers to make it.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Walsher

To me this is Tommy's team. When he is healthy he has to be the horse. Tommy likes to play lots - that means basically every night. He is at his best when he is playing every game. He is the #1 and no matter how poorly he has started he is still going to have to be the key Oiler if this ship is going to be righted.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:20 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i have been very critical of salo but i agree with you walsher. i still think mact should platoon them however if salo can show consistency and plays much better than of course he deserves more games. reality is he deserves it.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:10 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Tommy likes to play lots - that means basically every night. He is at his best when he is playing every game.
I've never known Salo not to be playing (almost) every game. So I can't really say I'm qualified to comment whether he's better when he's playing every game.

I can't remember Salo ever having to fight for his #1 position. Or share it.

I think we'll know more about Tommy Salo pretty soon. I'm hoping he's sharper and more competitive.

Has anyone else noticed how some players and coaching staff (when asked to comment on Conklin) always refer to how much he puts into game preparation and focus? It made me wonder, "Gee he must zone in ALOT more than most goalies. Then I wondered........hmmm, maybe they are just used to "someone else" not being as focused and prepared enough for big games.

I'm not in anyway try to start a big rumour or anything, because quite frankly......I haven't a clue how Tommy prepares or how serious he really is. It just made me wonder why it kept coming up in appraisals about Conks.

And I know Conks is pretty intense. Captain of his College team......apparently wasn't afraid to mix it up. That could be all that's REALLY behind the "preparation" comments.

But I often wonder if Salo takes it as serious as he did when he arrived. Marque players leaving every year......Cup fading......will be too old when the Oilers long term plans come to fruition. Know what I'm saying?

I hope this strong showing by Conks triggers Tommys pride and competitveness.

I haven't forgotten those big saves.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I've never known Salo not to be playing (almost) every game. So I can't really say I'm qualified to comment whether he's better when he's playing every game.

I can't remember Salo ever having to fight for his #1 position. Or share it.
He was being played as a backup for the Isles before he came here, and wasn't playing particularly well, but that was probably more due to the situation, and how unhappy he was there, than playing time. His play improved drastically when he became the man here, but again, that may be more because he was happy than being #1.

Quote:
I think we'll know more about Tommy Salo pretty soon. I'm hoping he's sharper and more competitive.

Has anyone else noticed how some players and coaching staff (when asked to comment on Conklin) always refer to how much he puts into game preparation and focus? It made me wonder, "Gee he must zone in ALOT more than most goalies. Then I wondered........hmmm, maybe they are just used to "someone else" not being as focused and prepared enough for big games.

I'm not in anyway try to start a big rumour or anything, because quite frankly......I haven't a clue how Tommy prepares or how serious he really is. It just made me wonder why it kept coming up in appraisals about Conks.

And I know Conks is pretty intense. Captain of his College team......apparently wasn't afraid to mix it up. That could be all that's REALLY behind the "preparation" comments.

But I often wonder if Salo takes it as serious as he did when he arrived. Marque players leaving every year......Cup fading......will be too old when the Oilers long term plans come to fruition. Know what I'm saying?

I hope this strong showing by Conks triggers Tommys pride and competitveness.

I haven't forgotten those big saves.
I remember an odd story from a few years ago. Apparently, though he never looks any more intense than a resting sloth, Salo gets so tense before games that he throws up. He just always looks cool and composed, or at least that was the case at the time. I don't think that there is any lack of preparation or intensity, I just think that he doesn't look like there is. Hopefully it's just confidence and injury, both of which are well on the way to recovery.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:51 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
He was being played as a backup for the Isles before he came here, and wasn't playing particularly well, but that was probably more due to the situation, and how unhappy he was there, than playing time. His play improved drastically when he became the man here, but again, that may be more because he was happy than being #1.

I remember an odd story from a few years ago. Apparently, though he never looks any more intense than a resting sloth, Salo gets so tense before games that he throws up. He just always looks cool and composed, or at least that was the case at the time. I don't think that there is any lack of preparation or intensity, I just think that he doesn't look like there is. Hopefully it's just confidence and injury, both of which are well on the way to recovery.
Like a duck that looks all calm above water......but his legs are going like mad below the water?

Well like I said......I have no ideas how he prepares. I can see you do though. That's not very uncommon either, for goalies to throw up. Hell I was a forward and I threw up before some important games too.

Salo played 6 games in his first season and 10 in his second. Nobodys going to play good in that role. Coming in cold every 8-14 games. The first season he shared duties (3rd season) he played 56 games and got 5 shutouts.

Curious if you've ever heard "rumours" of him actually ever pointing the finger at himself after a bad perfomance. Because if so, I've heard rumours of the contrary. In fact I've seen him say it himself. He will never say it was a bad goal. It's always a "lucky" goal. Yea Tommy. Lucky. Lucky for the other team, that you totally seived on that one.....lol.

Anyway, I hope he just bounces back. And I won't care how he prepares then....

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 12-05-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old
12-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Allan

Quote:
Curious if you've ever heard "rumours" of him actually ever pointing the finger at himself after a bad perfomance. Because if so, I've heard rumours of the contrary. In fact I've seen him say it himself. He will never say it was a bad goal. It's always a "lucky" goal. Yea Tommy. Lucky. Lucky for the other team, that you totally seived on that one.....lol.
I haven't heard much either way on that one, but I've heard a lot of the "lucky" comments out of him in post-game interviews and such, but he was always like that. When he was at his best, he would say that bad goals were "lucky", but then he'd do better the next time, and he doesn't seem to do that now. I don't think he's deflecting blame - he never blames anyone else, either, even when it was the defence's fault - but he has seemed unwilling to accept the blame himself, too. However, he is such a low-key guy that I don't doubt that he does accept responsibility, and just doesn't want to talk about it much. He never seems to have much to say, and until recently, his play spoke well enough for him. Hopefully it will again...

Closed Thread