HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Targets Next Year

Old
01-17-2007, 11:08 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Free Agent Targets Next Year

We have discussed this in so many different threads, figured I would try and start one. We need some organization on this board

Listening to WIP, Glen Macnow tonight and Anthony SanFillippo was on and mentioned who he has heard that the FLyers are going to target, most we have heard before, but a couple different twists.

HE mentioned Drury and Briere, and that they might actually go after BOTH, which I doubt will happen but anyway. His opinion is one of the reasons brining Don Luce here was to help with getting one of them here, not to mention that Drury and Forsberg played great together in Colorado. He also mentioned Gomez, Timonen and Rafalski. Basically, the Flyers are targeting teams that are going to have cap trouble.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:14 PM
BringBackStevens

I'm not so sure id go after both of those players... but to be honest i could see myself being happy with 1 of any 3 of the "big" centers we have been speaking of.

On D, its gotta be Timonen. He plays a great all-around game and can lead... which we desperately need. Maybe it helps that Jussi is in the organization, maybe just a wee bit.

Ill throw this out there- any possibility on goaltending? I think Biron is a UFA, for the right price would he possibly being worth looking into? This is definitely going to be an interesting off season.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
whatever they do, I just hope they are smart about it. don't just throw a bunch of money and years at every player.

I would also like to see them focus more on defensemen then forwards.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Jester

it's good to pick out teams with cap problems... however, everyone else will as well.

i think we (as fans) should forget about Gomez coming here... they should certainly make a pitch for him, but i really think he's going to look to move out west and someone like Calgary is going to come at him with an offer that is going to get him (remember, he went home to Alaska to play during the lockout... his ties to the Northwest are as tight as ever).

i think it's smart to go after both Drury and Briere at the same time for two reasons:

1) you might get lucky and sign both (not a bad problem to have...)
2) you force Buffalo into making quick decisions and not giving them time to find solutions... which increases the abililty to get one.

again, both those players are going to be targeted by a lot of teams... going after both Rafalski and Gomez accomplishes the same goal a bit.

Timonen will be interesting... nothing about Markov? playerd i'd like to go after.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I'm not so sure id go after both of those players... but to be honest i could see myself being happy with 1 of any 3 of the "big" centers we have been speaking of.

On D, its gotta be Timonen. He plays a great all-around game and can lead... which we desperately need. Maybe it helps that Jussi is in the organization, maybe just a wee bit.

Ill throw this out there- any possibility on goaltending? I think Biron is a UFA, for the right price would he possibly being worth looking into? This is definitely going to be an interesting off season.
Goaltender, I am not sure. How much of an upgrade is Biron over a healthy Nitty? If they are going to committ to Nitty, I say get a veteran in there to guide him and let him run with it next year. Not sure if Biron would want to go somewhere, unless he has a really good change of being the starter.

THe one thing I want to avoid is turning over the entire team. Bring in 2-4 free agents, but I want them to have some room on this team for younger players.

Maybe Timonen having his little brother does help, you never know. Maybe they play together in a couple years!!

Old
01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
it's good to pick out teams with cap problems... however, everyone else will as well.

i think we (as fans) should forget about Gomez coming here... they should certainly make a pitch for him, but i really think he's going to look to move out west and someone like Calgary is going to come at him with an offer that is going to get him (remember, he went home to Alaska to play during the lockout... his ties to the Northwest are as tight as ever).

i think it's smart to go after both Drury and Briere at the same time for two reasons:

1) you might get lucky and sign both (not a bad problem to have...)
2) you force Buffalo into making quick decisions and not giving them time to find solutions... which increases the abililty to get one.

again, both those players are going to be targeted by a lot of teams... going after both Rafalski and Gomez accomplishes the same goal a bit.

Timonen will be interesting... nothing about Markov? playerd i'd like to go after.
Agreed on going after Drury and Briere. I would absolutely love Gomez here since he most likely would be perfect for Gagne, but I can see him going to the Northwest.

I still think this team is going to be a desirable target for free agents, even with the bad season so hopefully that helps.

He didnt mention any other dmen then Timonen and Rafalski

Old
01-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
His opinion is one of the reasons brining Don Luce here was to help with getting one of them here, not to mention that Drury and Forsberg played great together in Colorado.
Does that mean they are targeting Drury, Briere, AND Forsberg? Even if Forsberg signs for 2 mil, i don't know if that's possible.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:40 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykhuis26 View Post
Does that mean they are targeting Drury, Briere, AND Forsberg? Even if Forsberg signs for 2 mil, i don't know if that's possible.
Well, you figure they have about 23 million available. If Forsberg signs for 2 or 3, they can give Briere and Drury $6.5 each and still have about 7 million left over, not including any cap increase that might happen.

I just hope they dont panic and ridiculously over pay for these people.

I want Drury for his leadership, if Forsberg comes back because I dont think Drury would be great with Gagne, but you never know.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykhuis26 View Post
I really think their intention is to make them both offers and make Buffalo decide which one to keep by making a better offer to the one they value more (which I believe will be Briere). This team needs Drury, Forsberg for 70 games, and a good defense, and we're good to go.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:47 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I really think their intention is to make them both offers and make Buffalo decide which one to keep by making a better offer to the one they value more (which I believe will be Briere). This team needs Drury, Forsberg for 70 games, and a good defense, and we're good to go.
IF the team is good enough everywhere else, I would take 60 good games of Forsberg, and the playoffs, at a lesser salary of course.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
the kids need to prove they belong as well... but that would be a start for sure.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
IF the team is good enough everywhere else, I would take 60 good games of Forsberg, and the playoffs, at a lesser salary of course.
True. I think Drury gives you a legit number one centreman in his absence. He might not be a true playmaker, but he's a good enough player that it doesn't matter. He's so good in all parts of the game.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
True. I think Drury gives you a legit number one centreman in his absence. He might not be a true playmaker, but he's a good enough player that it doesn't matter. He's so good in all parts of the game.
I would explore making him captain too, if Forsberg was for it. He probably would be around here longer then Forsberg, and maybe Forsberg doesnt mind giving it up to someone he used to play with.

Just a thought

Old
01-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I would explore making him captain too, if Forsberg was for it. He probably would be around here longer then Forsberg, and maybe Forsberg doesnt mind giving it up to someone he used to play with.

Just a thought
Not a bad idea at all.

Old
01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Jester

Quote:

Just a thought
Richards would be pushed pretty far out of the Captain picture for a bit at that point.

Old
01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
TheKingPin

yea if we are looking at teams that are going to have to make cap descisions then we have to also hit MTL with thier three studs on D all up for FA. Also i think that id rather have Nitty in net and save money to get other players. i think that it is apperent in the league now that having a great goaltending is not as important anymore.

anyone else think that we should take advantage of Pitkanen;s poor play this year and lock him up long term for cheap. if we throw afive year 3 mil ea deal he might go for it.

as far as player to sign i think that we have to try and get Gomez i think that he would be perfect here. or briere. i think that Drury will end up getting more than he is worth. I would like to see one dman signed and two offesive guys then the rest be our own rookies. i think with that and a healthy team we easily win the division next year with even more help the next year. iby then Girox who apperently is doing great and Downey and manybe even our first( isay we get the Russian) rounder this year will be ready then itl be time for complete domination, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
yea if we are looking at teams that are going to have to make cap descisions then we have to also hit MTL with thier three studs on D all up for FA. Also i think that id rather have Nitty in net and save money to get other players. i think that it is apperent in the league now that having a great goaltending is not as important anymore.

anyone else think that we should take advantage of Pitkanen;s poor play this year and lock him up long term for cheap. if we throw afive year 3 mil ea deal he might go for it.

as far as player to sign i think that we have to try and get Gomez i think that he would be perfect here. or briere. i think that Drury will end up getting more than he is worth. I would like to see one dman signed and two offesive guys then the rest be our own rookies. i think with that and a healthy team we easily win the division next year with even more help the next year. iby then Girox who apperently is doing great and Downey and manybe even our first( isay we get the Russian) rounder this year will be ready then itl be time for complete domination, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
well, you may say he's been playing poorly this year... if the situation continues as it is currently... his agent's reponse is going to be that he lead the team in assists. his goal total should also climb a bit, as he gets too many good looks at the net for this to continue (how many posts has he hit this year...).

they should try and sign Pitkanen to a bigger deal, but i would expect another small one... maybe two-years in light of this down year, but i wouldn't expect his agent to throw up his hands and give you a long deal at cheap.

Old
01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
The Flyers need some leverage in dealing with FAs. Right now, agents are going to see that the Flyers have space, a horrible team and desperate and demanding fans. The team can't overspend for the sole purpose of signing FAs. The importance for the remainder of this season is to have the young talent step up and prove they can play and score (forwards more so) consistently at this level. If nothing else, it will provide a negotiating tactic, even if it is a small step above negligible, and balance what is otherwise the apparent desperation. Goaltending needs to be stabilized and the defense is a mess. Kimmo Timonen would be an impressive acquisition.

Unrelated: Is Cory Schneider locked in with Vancouver? Would they consider trading him or is he untouchable?

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post

Agreed on Pitkanen. Agreed on Gomez. Agreed on signing two forwards and one dman, filling the rest with young players. You are brilliant

Drury may get paid more due to intangibles, which this team really really really needs right now and may be worth the extra million or so.

Old
01-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Hammerwise

I would:

Before or at deadline:
Re-sign Kyle Calder for 2.7mil for three years.
Trade Denis Gautheir or Derian Hatcher for mid level prospect and 2nd/3rd
Trade Mike York (a 3rd?)
Trade Forsberg for a top 4 dman or top 6 forward(a Volchenkhov, a Zubov? A Suter? A Klein?) and probably mid level prospect and pick/s (Samsonov, kostitsyn and 1st from MTL or Volchenkhov and 1st from OTT?)

Offseason:
(SOme of these are contingent on others)
Expect to resign Nitty for 2mil, Pitkanen for 3mil, etc...
Offer Briere or Scott Gomez 5.4mil
Offer Drury 5 million,(you won't get them all but should get one of them).
Go big after Petr Sykora and offer 4mil ish
Get one of Hannan, Timmonen, Stuart, Brewer, AMarkov for about 4.4
Try and resign Peter Forsberg for 3mil or so.

SCOTT GOMEZ
MIKE KNUBLE
SIMON GAGNE

JEFF CARTER
KYLE CALDER
PETER FORSBERG

MIKE RICHARDS
STEVE DOWNIE
RJ UMBERGER

RYAN POTULNY
ROSIE RUCISZCKA
BEN EAGER

TODD FEDORUK

AMARKOV
ALEXEI ZHITNIK
JONI PITKANEN
DERIAN HATCHER
ALEX PICARD
DENIS GAUTHEIR
JUSSI TIMMONEN

NITTYMAKI
HOULE

About 46million

OR:

SCOTT GOMEZ
MIKE KNUBLE
SIMON GAGNE

JEFF CARTER
PETR SYKORA
KYLE CALDER

MIKE RICHARDS
DOWNIE/GIROUX
RJ UMBERGER

RYAN POTULNY
RUCISZCKA/GIROUX/DOWNIE
BEN EAGER

TODD FEDORUK

JONI PITKANEN
HANNAN/STUART
ALEXEI ZHITNIK
DERIAN HATCHER
ALEX PICARD
WHOMEVER WE GOT FOR FORSEBRG
JUSSI TIMMONEN

NITTYMAKI
HOULE

About 47 million

But both have solid passers/scorers/muckers/physical skaters well balanced throughout lineup.

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
jb**

Quote:
not with the current goalies we have. dont want to depend on Nitty to be the go to guy. I feel this should be the #1 priority. Then a dman, then center.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
ArchieIsGod

i hope the flyers go after markov as their first choice but i would be very happy with timmonen as their big FA defenseman. couple one of those two with vishnevski and i think that will take care of our D. for the offensive side id like to see gomez drury doan nagy or briere in that order and i think it's possible to get two of them depending who they do sing on defense and what they do with forsberg(either cut ties or resign cheaper)

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
phlocky

Our defense will need to include 3 vets from outside the organization. Currentyl we'd have:

Zhitnik & Pitkanen
Hatcher & Picard
Gauthier & ??? (rotating door between Jones, Jonsson, Timonen, etc.)

I like Zhitnik and I think he's done a fine job here but I'd still like to move 2 of our 3 vets. I can live with Hatcher on the second pairing and I think he has the least trade value but you never know. I think Zhinik has the most trade value and I think we should look to trade him at the trade deadline. This would leave the door open for us to bring in a new #1 dman to pair with Joni and I think Timonen or Hannan (though I think he'll be resigned) would fill this role nicely. The only way we can bring in one of the Markovs or a player like him is if we move either Hatcher or Gauthier. Though I'd like it to be Hatcher, I don't think he is likely to be moved. I like Gauthier on the 3rd pairing and I think he'd be fine as a call up to the 2nd pairing in the event of an injury (with Hatcher moving up to #1 if necessary).

As it stands right now we have 5 dmen who SHOULD be playing. It would be nice to have the depth to relegate Hatcher and Picard to the 3rd pairing but that would mean moving Gauthier and bringing in 2 dmen or moving Gauthier and Zhitnik and bringing in 3 guys. That's not very realistic.

It looks to me like we will only bring in as many dmen as we move before the trade deadline.

Oh, and whomever was suggesting we trade Baumgartner to a team that needs a dmen, I seriously doubt that will happen. His new team would have to call him back up and he'd have to pass through waivers with them too. Baumgartner would be claimed by another team and the team we traded him to would have to pay 1/2 of his remaining salary just like what would happen if we recalled him. So that is a pipe dream. We might trade him in the off season so he can get a fresh start with a new team next year but he's not really worth what we are paying him.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I'd like to say who should be the #1 target, but there is a lot of needs.

If two of Timonen, Drury, Briere or Gomez hit the market (in my estimation, Timonen has about a 90% chance to hit free agency), they should be #1 targets.

One thing we have learned in past off-seasons is that if you want a great puck-moving defenseman like Timonen, you gotta pay up, and depending what kind of second half Timonen has (he's already an all-star), we're looking minimum $5M/year for Timonen and one of the other three I listed will be looking at similar, if not greater numbers. Holmgren and Don Luce (or whoever acts as AGM) or even Snider should have these guys' agents on speed dial at 12:00am on July 1.

I don't think they got Zhitnik on a multi-year deal just to trade him. I think he's staying. York could be different as he is a free agent and will not be back.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
not with the current goalies we have. dont want to depend on Nitty to be the go to guy. I feel this should be the #1 priority. Then a dman, then center.
I don't see it happening. As much as I've had my problems with Niittymaki, I think he gets one more year. He's hurt, and the team in front of him sucks. He needs one year as a starter with a good team and a healthy hip to prove himself. The fact that no one out there is reporting that we're in the market for a goalie, especially when free agent names are already being talked about, tells me there's a good chance Niittymaki and probably Leighton are this team's goalies next year.