HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders team if not for Mike Milbury

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 08:17 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Islanders team if not for Mike Milbury

I decided to take a look at the Islanders, just to see how bad Milbury's trading during his almost 10 year reign actually was. If the Islanders kept strickly their draft picks, this would be their team.

Bertuzzi Connolly Palffy
Torres Orzagh Dumont
Pyatt Green Rupp
Hlavac Weinhandl Bergenheim

Redden Chara
Brewer McCabe
Kaspairaitis Mezei
Lukowich Tarnstrom
Strudwick Lachance
Van Impe Martinek

Luongo
Dipietro
Tommy Salo

Using strickly Islanders draft picks, this is their team with no trades or UFA signings. What an amazing defense/goaltending group. If you add Jokinen for the #1 center job (a trade acquisition), plus Jason Spezza(pick was traded for Yashin), this team is an favorite for the cup.

Last edited by elphy101: 12-04-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Old
12-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
McCabe was a Ottawa draft puick
he was traded for redden remember

Old
12-03-2003, 08:26 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
McCabe was a Ottawa draft puick
he was traded for redden remember
No that was Bryan Berard. Ottawa trade Berard to NYI for Redden.

The list is correct. It's pulled right off the Islanders draft list since 1991. With Travis Green thrown in from earlier.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Mizral

Some other interesting things of note:

If the Jokinen/Luongo move never happened, the Isles could more than likely have picked Heatley or Gaborik than DiPietro (since they would have kept Luongo).

Also, they traded a few picks. Jarkko Ruutu was also involved in the Bertuzzi trade, so you could include Ruutu in there.

Anyhow, if you say they drafted Heatley (whom was the guy Milbury said he had #2 in an interview some time ago that I read), you could have a top line of Bertuzzi/Heatley/Palffy (Heatley was a centre in the NCAA).

Also, didn't he draft Mariusz Czerkawski and Oleg Kvasha? I'm too lazy to look

Old
12-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
No that was Bryan Berard. Ottawa trade Berard to NYI for Redden.

The list is correct. It's pulled right off the Islanders draft list since 1991. With Travis Green thrown in from earlier.
oh yeah thanks heheh

Last edited by Vyse64: 12-03-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old
12-03-2003, 08:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

If the Jokinen/Luongo move never happened, the Isles could more than likely have picked Heatley or Gaborik than DiPietro (since they would have kept Luongo).

Also, they traded a few picks. Jarkko Ruutu was also involved in the Bertuzzi trade, so you could include Ruutu in there.

Anyhow, if you say they drafted Heatley (whom was the guy Milbury said he had #2 in an interview some time ago that I read), you could have a top line of Bertuzzi/Heatley/Palffy (Heatley was a centre in the NCAA).

Also, didn't he draft Mariusz Czerkawski and Oleg Kvasha? I'm too lazy to look
Don't remember for sure, but I know that Mariusz was an Oiler before an Isles so no I don't think so. And Kvasha was part of the Luongo trade - another no. Quite the scouting staff they've got I'd say - pitty the scouting staff will never recieve big credit because of an absolute joke of a GM.

Old
12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Vyse64
N64

Czerkawski Selected by Boston Bruins round 5 #106 overall 1991 NHL Entry Draft

as for Kvasha Selected by Florida Panthers round 3 #65 overall 1996 NHL Entry Draft
he was the other part of loungo trade that went to the NYI

Jokinen was not a NYI pick but a LA draft choice 3rd overall in 97
"Olli was traded with Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and a first-round draft pick to the New York Islanders for Žigmund Pálffy, Bryan Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and a fourth-round draft pick"

Old
12-03-2003, 09:19 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Interesting, so if you take away Milbury's 2 major draft day deals, you could add

Jokinen Spezza Heatley to the list and all you would remove would be Dipietro.

Just as side note, this wasn't even a result of Salary dumps. That roster listed above would be cheaper than the roster of the current Islanders.

It's hard to believe Milbury still has a job. Especially taking into consideration the Jokinen, Spezza, Heatley part.

Last edited by elphy101: 12-03-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old
12-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
It's hard to believe Milbury still has a job. Especially taking into consideration the Jokinen, Spezza, Heatley part.
well, yes and no. It's hard to believe he still has HIS job, GM. He should be locked in a padded room and let out before the draft, though, I mean, damn.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:29 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
well, yes and no. It's hard to believe he still has HIS job, GM. He should be locked in a padded room and let out before the draft, though, I mean, damn.
Nope, he makes crazy draft-day deals too. Just let him draft from inside his room and let everybody else make the trades.

Old
12-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Master Lok

hehe, I wonder what draft pick does the Islanders get THIS year? MWAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh!) Hopefully Lowe has Mad Mike's cell phone preset on draft day.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Boondock Saint

That Luongo/Dipietro thing I will never understand. It was completely obvious at that time that Luongo was going to be a solid #1 goalie in this league and that he was closer than Dipietro was.

No matter how good MM thought Dipietro would end up, he would never have been so much better that Luongo that it was worth giving up a chance at Heatley or Gaborik for him.

Closed Thread