HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating after a long layoff

Old
01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
wombat

vCash: 500
Skating after a long layoff

I'm 22 years old and i'm thinking about signing up for a rec league in my town. Problem is i haven't skated at all in 8 years. My question is after i practice for a few hours will i be able to skate again or will i basically have to learn to skate again from scratch? (which i won't have the time to do) I have no clue what to expect and is skating like riding a bike in that you never really forget or am i screwed since the last time i put on skates was so long ago.

wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Methane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I'm 22 years old and i'm thinking about signing up for a rec league in my town. Problem is i haven't skated at all in 8 years. My question is after i practice for a few hours will i be able to skate again or will i basically have to learn to skate again from scratch? (which i won't have the time to do) I have no clue what to expect and is skating like riding a bike in that you never really forget or am i screwed since the last time i put on skates was so long ago.
I was never a great skater and was off the ice for about 3 years. The first time back out there I was a bit wobbly, but it started to come back to me. By the end of the hour I was back to doing crossovers and such.

Methane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Hugh Madbrough

It will come back after a few sessions at worst.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I was off skates for 3 years and it took me all of about 2 hours to get good again. It shouldn't be a problem - you'll go "whoaaa" when you start, but after a little bit you'll say "I remember this."

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
You'll probably feel uncomfortable at first, but then it should all come back to you again pretty quickly like everyone mentioned. Just wait untill you feel your lower back and legs when you wake up the next morning!

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 01:06 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I was in the same boat as you. Almost 9 year layoff, but I did have to relearn to skate since I wasn't a good skater to begin with. I'm still getting more and more comfortable after a little less than a year on the ice.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 06:36 AM
scud9

I was off the skates for 15 years and I had to learn it all over again. I went to outdoor rinks at very early mornings at -20celsius that nobody could see me. I was terrible and after approx. 30 times skating is coming back. Two more years and I'm ready to senior league....

scud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Phoenix

depends how good you were before. If you were relatively ok, it'd take a session at most i reckon to get back. Then more to start honing. Either way, if you've skated, you won't be from scratch.

I didn't skate for 5 years, and prior to that I just did some basic figure skating for about 4 years. But when I got back on the ice, it came back fairly fast.

Whereas I rollerskated as a 5 year old, and stopped that at about 8years, then started ice at 14. That transition took much longer, but I still wasn't as bad as those who'd never skated.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote