HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do the Oilers need in the 2007 draft?

Old
01-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
What do the Oilers need in the 2007 draft?

It appears the Oilers will have a mid-first and late-first round pick in this year's draft. So what should the Oilers be looking for? I realize the "best player available" theory is generally practiced by the Oilers, but they have certainly picked for their needs aswell (Dubnyk comes to mind).

So what's the most pressing need? A top end offensive centerman is tops on my list. In which case Gagner, VanReimamfafswhatever and Esposito would be real steals at 15th or later. I also think another ultra-skilled winger with some size and power forward potential would be a great addition. A future pp QB would also be high on the list. Further down the list, but not out of the picture would be goaltending.

What do you think is the most pressing organisational need?

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Depending where the finish, I would like to see them get a defenseman, but from where I see them finishing, Akim Aliu would look good in Oiler silks.

But frankly I think the Oilers should draft a bunch of Defensemen and Goalies(European ones preferably so they can play in Europe and develop without taking up minor league spots, a la Lundqvist, Toskala, Kiprusoft, etc.)

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post

So what's the most pressing need? A top end offensive centerman is tops on my list.

What do you think is the most pressing organisational need?
Schremp, Cogliano, Pouliot, Stoll, Brodziak... You're got five kids under 25 years old who can be your top 3 centres in the future.

I firmly believe in the "best player available" theory. Especially with centres, goalies, and defensemen, you can always find a home for them later if you have too many in the system.

I would expect the oilers to focus heavily on offensive and puck moving defensemen. It's locking the barn after the horse gets out, but with Chorney/Gilbert/Roy in the system right now, we still don't have that one true offensive guy.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
focus on the back end. D and goalie but I am also a proponent of the best pick available.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Mr Sakich

unless you have the chance to draft a stud dman, don't bather wasting high picks on defence. Most defencemen donot significantly contribute before the age of 25 so he become ufa within two years of being a contributor.

You are better off to sign ufa dmen then develop them, unless you have a very high draft pick and a stud sure thing guy is available.

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
Im a fan of the best availble player drafting, i think targeting lets you pass up on some great talent

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
thebkon

POWERFORWARD!!! *sigh* only if they existed... a rare species indeed. All I am asking for is Raffi Torres with more size speed and skill...

*Predicts quote*
"All I am Assking for.." Oh yeah thats all I am asking for to... no big deal.

GO OIL SNAG SOMETHING TO BRAG ABOUT!

thebkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
OntOilFan

Karl Alzner. Make it happen.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

I would like to get a center and dman in the 1st round and take a goaile in the 4th. I also want every pick from the 5th round on to be a European as most the late steals are Europeans. All the good North American players are taken by then.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Arcane

I am about 85% sure this is the guy were going to get and who we need: Keven Veilleux

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Sethis

Best player available, no questions asked. You go for the guy you think has the best chance of turning out. However, my strategy would be like most everyone elses here, and thats to go for D-men and goalies. I always say you gotta try for one home run power forward, but that gives way to the fridges like Paukovich we got in the back room more often then not.

For where we're finishing, I like Aliu and Hickey, but Sutters kind of growing on me now too.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't know. It's tough to say who'll be available at 30. Oh, and the Ducks pick will be low too.

Last edited by misfit: 01-19-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: to, too, two
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't know. It's tough to say who'll be available at 30. Oh, and the Ducks pick will be low to.
Very nicely said

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Package the two first round picks up to move up as high as possible and get the best odds on our lottery ticket.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
For God's sake, BPA. Period. I'm sick of the Oilers' scouting staff constantly making bizarre, off-the-map picks as though they are orchestrating some elaborate ruse.

Attn, Oilers' scouts: Draft directly from the Central Scouting ranking list if you need to! You have repeatedly proven that you are simply not clever or savvy enought to find low-cost diamonds in the rough!

Get the best player still available, and address positional requirements through trades...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Tyrolean

Yes, for the 1st 2 rounds, I'd like the Oilers to pick safe consensus picks rather that wild ones ranked low with higher picks. They can gamble in the later rounds but not the 1st round.

I'd study how NJ and Detroit make their picks. I prefer drafting more Euro players in the later rounds.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Slats432

I hate to be the Oilers BPA advocate, but in their opinion MA Pouliot and added asset=Zach Parise.

Colin McDonald>>>Patrick O'Sullivan
Jesse Niinimaki>>>Alexander Steen

The players we have selected are what our management determines the BPA.

I think I will just ask for one thing. "Don't just pick a guy because he keeps working hard when his team is crappy."

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Package the two first round picks up to move up as high as possible and get the best odds on our lottery ticket.
I would have to agree. The Oilers have a lot of quality prospects, so this draft should be about coming out with the best possible player we can get our hands on. If we can turn some of our quantity into quality, then we need to do it. I know this is suposedly a deep draft, but we should be aiming for the top 10 here (top 5 would be even better) and getting that stud player. Forward or defence, it doesn't matter, as long as it's not a goalie. I don't see any goalies worthy of taking in the first round, let alone the first half.

Old
01-19-2007, 01:36 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I am also a proponent of the best pick available.
I agree you should never pick out of need, you should always take the best player available. If that happens to be a defenseman than so be it.

I would love to see the Oilers package a pick with something and move up. I really like Patrick Kane, he's a bit undersized but reminds me a lot of Daniel Briere. Imagine him and Robbie Schremp together.

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
Schremp, Cogliano, Pouliot, Stoll, Brodziak... You're got five kids under 25 years old who can be your top 3 centres in the future.

I would expect the oilers to focus heavily on offensive and puck moving defensemen. It's locking the barn after the horse gets out, but with Chorney/Gilbert/Roy/Bisaillon in the system right now, we still don't have that one true offensive guy.
I added another name to your list. I agree but if we can't get Alzner or Veilleux then I would try for the best power forward out there. Look at all the talent in the NHL right now for rookies. Kopitar, Kessel, Malkin and the list goes on. Defense men are a bit of a gamble, Vlasic was a 2nd rounder, Letang, Franson and Russell were third rounders. We are in need of a PP QB and a true #1 horse on defense. If we can't get that then draft a forward, Hemsky is our only creative forward, our PP sucks with out him, I still think Schremp will be a great PP guy for us. If we could get a Lantandesse type of player, big, strong and effective, or a Getzlaf player. Looking at Anaheim yesterday makes me really wish we have more of a skilled physical presence. Tough gritty forwards that will snipe when given the chance and can create chances and draw penalties with their size. Having said all that I believe in choosing the BPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Karl Alzner. Make it happen.
I would be a very happy camper.

Quote:
I would like this. I would rather draft quality over quantity. The JFJ and Pouliot for Parise trade should be happening but I want to be the one drafting the quality. 3rd and 4th line players are expendible, FA pick up or easy trades. Try trade 3 Reasoners for one Hemsky, not gunna happen. Go for a top 5 pick, get a Kane kind of player. Take some chances on european picks later on.

We have enough depth, lets go for a difference maker.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Not sure if that's the best idea as you could end up with the best player in the draft with the 20th pick this year..How many players have already been ranked #1 this year? But getting in the top 5 is always a good option..

The way we have been scouting and drafting the past couple years I have total faith...

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Alzner would be an excellent addition. If Lowe traded up to grab Alzner, I would be nothing but overjoyed. While honestly, Im still not sure if Alzner will pan out to be a #2 Offensive Dman, If Lowe had the faith and cajones to jump up and grab him, I would know we have something special.

Other than him, I agree that we need to draft a powerforward type. We need more kids that can hit and want to hit hard.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Traktor*

If we trade up I would love to get Cherapanov or Kane but I assume they will already be gone top 3 and can't see us getting into the top 3 with our picks.

Old
01-19-2007, 02:54 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
If we trade up I would love to get Cherapanov or Kane but I assume they will already be gone top 3 and can't see us getting into the top 3 with our picks.
I would put money on the Oilers not taking Cherapanov if they were at a spot high enough to take him. With no transfer agreement with Russia in place, and the headaches caused by the Mihknov situation, I can't see them taking any Russians unless they fall far beyond where they have them on their list (ala Truhkno and Bumagin) and the risk is much lower.

Old
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I would put money on the Oilers not taking Cherapanov if they were at a spot high enough to take him. With no transfer agreement with Russia in place, and the headaches caused by the Mihknov situation, I can't see them taking any Russians unless they fall far beyond where they have them on their list (ala Truhkno and Bumagin) and the risk is much lower.
He is out producing Malkin and O.V at the same age in RSL.... I don't know much about him but that is enough for me to take a gamble, transfer agreement or not. His upside is unmatched.....

I agree with you though, if they have the chance they would most likely not pick him and take some safe pick.