HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do the Oilers need in the 2007 draft?

Old
01-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Blue Bullet

vCash: 500
Here is a quick and dirty top 15 (plus one). I haven't had as much time this year to follow the draft but I would be happy if we grabbed one of these guys with our 1st pick.

1 Alzner
2 Couture
3 Kane
4 Turris
5 Cheraponov
6 Gagner
7 Esposito
8 Voracek
9 Van Riemsdyk
10 Ellerby
11 Petrecki
12 Blum
13 Katic
14 Hamill
15 Sweatt
16 Sutter

Blue Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Mielke83

I really like our backend of the future Smid,Greene, Gilbert,Roy,Syvret,Chorney

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:13 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
you never have too much D

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
you never have too much D
You can't have too much anything.

What we could really use is another offensive star a la Hemsky. We got him at 13th overall in 2001 so it's not out of the question to get a similar player this year at 15th. Heck, we could have had Parise, Bernier or Getzlaf in 2003 if we didn't trade down.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Raoul Duke*

Goalie. And one that won't take 10 years to develop in the minors.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:50 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I expect Cherapanov to fall because of the lack of agreement. I would love to grab him with our mid 1st pick. It's a roll of the dice, but frankly, our prospect pool is deep, we should take the risk on him. He is outscoring what Malkin and Ovechkin did at his age in the RSL. You gotta take a flyer on a kid like that. Plus, excellent chemistry with Bumagin. Convert Trukhno to a C and you have a pretty skilled Russian line.

And I am excited to see Petrecki is falling as well, hopefully he falls far. I would love to get him with our Anaheim pick. He is big and superhumanly strong. He can't be beat one on one in his admittedly weaker league. He is a great skater and passer, who can sometimes make boneheaded plays, but usually he speed allows him to recover. He is falling because he isn't putting up much offense in a lower tier league(USHL), even though he has all the tools. This is hoping that he falls a bit further and Lowe trades a bunch of stuff to jump up to a early 20s pick.

If Lowe can snag those two, I will be very happy.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I expect Cherapanov to fall because of the lack of agreement. I would love to grab him with our mid 1st pick.
My feelings exactly. But what's this talk of our mid 1st pick? I'm pretty sure the Stanley Cup Champions are left with the 30th pick.

Faith, my friend.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bullet View Post
Here is a quick and dirty top 15 (plus one). I haven't had as much time this year to follow the draft but I would be happy if we grabbed one of these guys with our 1st pick.

1 Alzner
2 Couture
3 Kane
4 Turris
5 Cheraponov
6 Gagner
7 Esposito
8 Voracek
9 Van Riemsdyk
10 Ellerby
11 Petrecki
12 Blum
13 Katic
14 Hamill
15 Sweatt
16 Sutter
Any thoughts on Shattenkirk? I've been reading a lot of good things about him of late and he seems like he would make a solid pick.

01-20-2007, 05:17 AM
philthy mcnasty*

Nobody get their hopes up, this organization stinks at drafting now, Schremp and Hemsky being the only good (easy) choices.

The only thing I like about the Oilers prospects is the D they're assembling, maybe not top of the line potential #1 or #2 pairing guys, but I definitely think several will easily pan out to be legit top 4 blueliners at the least.

They need to get another offensive stud in this draft no matter what. Trade up. Just do it. This team is seriously lacking offensive creativity and ability, it's so generic it's horrendous.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:20 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Any thoughts on Shattenkirk? I've been reading a lot of good things about him of late and he seems like he would make a solid pick.
He's like Staios with a bigger slapshot. One of the safer picks available. Although he's from the USNTDP, and I can't remember the last time the Oilers took anyone from there. Since that usually means a scouting staff hasn't put a lot of effort into looking at a certain league, I'm afraid we'll miss out on not only Shattenkirk, but Cohen and Ruth as well.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy mcnasty View Post
They need to get another offensive stud in this draft no matter what. Trade up. Just do it. This team is seriously lacking offensive creativity and ability, it's so generic it's horrendous.
If that's your opinion, how is the 2007 draft going to change that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
I think a better strategy to obtain a bluechipper is this: trade our lowest 1st for 2 2nds.
In a draft like this, why not? There's the potential to even trade down with both picks if nothing jumps out at them. Second round picks are always interesting.

Although the Anaheim 2nd is in 2008.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
hfboardsuser

Just in time for this thread, Part 2 of my Top 30 is finished. It's (hopefully) more relevant to the Oilers in terms of draft position.

Bugg Bytes Top 30- Part 1

Bugg Bytes Top 30- Part 2

Old
01-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Just in time for this thread, Part 2 of my Top 30 is finished. It's (hopefully) more relevant to the Oilers in terms of draft position.

Bugg Bytes Top 30- Part 1

Bugg Bytes Top 30- Part 2
Thank you soo much Mr Bugg, amazing read appreciate it you rock man!

EDIT: Has Stich fallen alot?? I was was kinda intrigued in him?? What happened? Is he still any good?

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 01-20-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
hfboardsuser

Depends who you talk to. Stich obviously has a lot of talent, but he just can't get anything going. I have him at about the same level as Ellerby or Ruth, but with both of them having impressive tournaments and seasons all around, someone has to be knocked, and Stich is unfrtounately that guy in my books. The '07 second round is going to be loaded with underperforming talent. There's going to be a star player or two or three that fall.

Old
01-20-2007, 10:43 AM
FTO

I say we definitly trade up for an offensive guy like Cherepanov or Voracek or Esposito, or hopefully we're just in position to get one of them and keep our second first rounder. This draft is looking a little weird right now though because the top ten is so different in every report.

I know we're hurting on the back end right now but im suggesting forwards because call me crazy but i feel we have an excellent pool of young defenders for the future, looking at how successful Roy and Gilbert have been this year. and even guys like Sebastian Bisaillon are having pretty good years (and i've always liked Syvret too), and the better depth at the forward position we have the less it'll hurt if we have to trade one of them for a defenseman that has already developed into a top 2 defenseman if we need (a la Stuart or Visnovski).

and in the second round i'd have to go with Dana Tyrell, one because i know the guy from airdrie . but two hes got some pretty sweet hands and great finishing abilities and a work ethic unlike anyone i've ever seen. haha hes also a pretty cool kid too

FTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:01 AM
hfboardsuser

I don't think Tyrell lasts that long. He's gaining some major hype among scouts. Although I would love to see him in our system too.

Old
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
FTO

Hey Mr Bugg, just read Pt. 1 and Pt. 2... good stuff man!
just wondering when Pt. 3 is coming?

Old
01-20-2007, 11:54 AM
hfboardsuser

Part 3 is next Saturday. Glad you enjoyed it!

Old
01-20-2007, 12:00 PM
TheGreatone94

I say try and snag a good offensive winger. We have a lot of depth at center(Horc/Stollie now, Schremp/Cogz/Pouliot later). We need another good winger to take over after Smytty gets a little older and his production starts to slow down. I would rather use our earlier first round pick to get a flat out offensive guy, the guy I'd love is Cherapanov. Others are Voracek, Espo, and Gagner and Kane, but I doubt any of these guys fall out of the top 15. Guys I would target are guys like Sweatt, Mayarov, Korostin, Zach Hamill. Use the second pick to grab a defensemen. Even if we draft a defensemen high this year, it doesn't help us immediately, like we need it. Get a defensemen from free agency and let the guys we have develop. Of course, if Alzner or Ellerby are available when we pick, we would have to take them. Otherwise, I could see us taking a guy like Plante late in the first. Great size, good offensive instincts as well. Another guy is Hickey. Draft for talent first, then needs.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:04 PM
FTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Part 3 is next Saturday. Glad you enjoyed it!
Yeah it was a great read and pretty informative, can't wait to hear about dana. haha i should write an e-mail to mr. prendergast, something like this:

"hey kev, whats up?

I would like you to draft my buddy Dana, because i think it would be totally sweet knowing someone on the oilers"

I think i'd definitly hook him with my formal tone

Old
01-20-2007, 12:23 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Hmmm...

Andy Moog - 132nd pick overall (713 NHL games played)
Steve Smith - 111th pick overall (804 NHL games played)
Kelly Buchberger - 188th pick overall (1,182 NHL games played)
Shaun Van Allen - 105th pick overall (794 NHL games played)
Shjon Podein - 166th pick overall (699 NHL games played)
Anatoli Semenov - 120th pick overall (362 NHL games played)
Miroslav Satan - 111th pick overall (833 NHL games played*)
Fernando Pisani - 195th pick overall (238 NHL games played*)
Jason Chimera - 121st pick overall (257 NHL games played*)
Shawn Horcoff - 99th pick overall (394 NHL games played*)
Mike Comrie - 91st pick overall (353 NHL games played*)
Matthew Lombardi - 215th pick overall (179 NHL games played*)
Jussi Markkanen - 133rd pick overall (115 NHL games played*)
Kyle Brodziak - 214th pick overall (10 NHL games played*)
Mathieu Roy - 215th pick overall (7 NHL games played*)
Troy Bodie - 278th pick overall
Tyler Spurgeon - 242nd pick overall
Slava Trukhno - 120th pick overall
Fredrik Pettersson - 157th pick overall

Yeah, thanks for coming out.

And thank you for the attitude - it was completely necessary. At any rate, you miss the point completely. My comment was in regard to the Oilers' penchant for gambling with their 1st round picks. Every player on your list was drafted in the 3rd round or later. Picks in those rounds are a crap shoot, far moreso than the first 2 rounds. Teams can afford to gamble with mid and late round picks - some will pan out, most won't. I'd be surprised if the Oilers' success rate with mid and late round picks deviates significantly in either direction of the league average. The point here is not mid & late round draft picks - every team has some notable late-round success stories. The point is that the Oilers like to gamble with their top picks. Virtually every year they ignore the consensus, go with their guts and pick way off the map. And virtually every year they are proven wrong.

Incidentally, your list is laughable - of your first 7 players, not only were they not picked by the current scouting staff, the most recently drafted was 14 years ago. Why you would include the final 6 on your list is bewildering to say the least, since not a single one has accomplished anything at the NHL level. Of the remaining six, a whopping 3 were drafted by the current scouting staff - one who has struggled to stick at the NHL level, one who is playing on his 4th team in 6 years, and one who until very recently was considered a bust.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Thanks for coming out...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Virtually every year they ignore the consensus, go with their guts and pick way off the map. And virtually every year they are proven wrong.
Disagree. You can count on one finger how many times they've picked "way off the map."

Old
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
hfboardsuser

I've actually harrassed members of this forum with connections to the Oilers scouting staff to recommend a player.

Sadly, with the decrease in the number of rounds, we're going to see teams take fewer and fewer risks.

Old
01-20-2007, 12:31 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Disagree. You can count on one finger how many times they've picked "way off the map."
"Way off" might be overstating it a bit, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they ignore consensus on a regular basis and are rarely rewarded for it.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
"Way off" might be overstating it a bit, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they ignore consensus on a regular basis and are rarely rewarded for it.
But what's the consensus? Do you mean Pierre McGuire?