HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I had such a wonderful dream last night

Old
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Salz

vCash: 500
I had such a wonderful dream last night

I dreamt that Marc Savard was centering our 2nd line and Shanahan and Prucha were his wings. How perfect would he be right now on that 2nd line? Thanks alot, Neil Smith. Man, we've had so many chances to have a solid 2nd line center(trading Savard, drafting Jessiman over a couple of guys who are doing fine as 2nd line centers right now) it just really pisses me off. I don't think Immonen is 2nd line center material right now but we ought to give Dubinsky a chance since he has more upside. Promote Dubinsky! I'm not really one of those guys who is knowledgeable on our prospects like many of you are; what are we looking at here with Dubinsky? Does he have Top 6 potential? Is he a playmaker type? Do you believe he's ready to step in right away? I want to be an organization who can resolve problems by tapping into the farm. Like Edge said in a previous post, it really shows the state of our organization when we need to sign a guy like Jason Krogg (or brad isbister) to fill a hole. This is a sad mess.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
crisb

If only....

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
SML

I was never a fan of Savard and never really regretted getting rid of him. He has always come of as a bit of a selfish, arrogant player, not a very good team guy. The game vs. Boston the other day for example. That shot went off a Rangers defenseman, hit Savard in the skate and went in... Savard jumps up racing around pointing to himself for credit for the goal. Maybe it's petty, but I am used to guys like Graves where you have to practically beat it out of them to take credit for a goal another guy did all the work on... Granted, he'd put up the numbers, but I just never liked him. It also validates my feeling much more when at least we arent the only ones to give up on him. If he were still tearing it up for Calgary and were a great player there, it might sting a little more.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Fletch

I Really...

wanted Savard on this team, but now that I've thought about it more, I'm not sure he would have been a good fit. I've watched a lot of Savard this season (about 1/2), and he's carrying that team. He is doing better than I would've expected. But he'd clash with Jagr, no doubt. He's the QB on the power play. He sets up the plays on the PP, and that wouldn't work with Jagr (and it can't be Savvy plays on a second unit, because his gig is on the first unit). Shanny would have a good deal more goals with Savvy as his centerman, for sure, but again, given the Rangers' current construction, I'm not convinced he'd be a good fit. Perhaps a good coach could work it out (even where Nylander centers Shanny and Savvy centers Jagr and takes over the first unit PP) - that's the only way it could begin to work - but it's tough to predict how two puck carriers/setup men would work on the same PP (both have about the same amount of PP assists this season, but Savvy has 9 goals on the PP too).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
wanted Savard on this team, but now that I've thought about it more, I'm not sure he would have been a good fit. I've watched a lot of Savard this season (about 1/2), and he's carrying that team. He is doing better than I would've expected. But he'd clash with Jagr, no doubt. He's the QB on the power play. He sets up the plays on the PP, and that wouldn't work with Jagr (and it can't be Savvy plays on a second unit, because his gig is on the first unit). Shanny would have a good deal more goals with Savvy as his centerman, for sure, but again, given the Rangers' current construction, I'm not convinced he'd be a good fit. Perhaps a good coach could work it out (even where Nylander centers Shanny and Savvy centers Jagr and takes over the first unit PP) - that's the only way it could begin to work - but it's tough to predict how two puck carriers/setup men would work on the same PP (both have about the same amount of PP assists this season, but Savvy has 9 goals on the PP too).
And this is why I don't like Jagr.

Jagr HAS TO be the go-to guy, and have all of the spotlight. He HATES sharing the spotlight with someone else. Ever since Lemieux retired, and Francis left for Carolina, Jagr's ego has gone through the roof. I mean Jagr is a great player and all, but there was no reason for him to whine his way to Washington when Lemieux came back. Do you people remember how Jagr threw a ****-fit when he gave up the captain's c to Lemieux? Sorry to go off on sort of a tangent, but having another high profile offensive player on this team who doesn't work through Jagr would be a clash of ideals, and being that Jagr is the marquee name that sells, - and we all know about Dolan's obsession with marquee names - whoever that person would be clashing with Jagr would get the axe.

It's like the Knicks with Marbury. Everything has to run through him, he has to have the ball. Now, in comes Steve Francis. Francis is another player who has to have the ball and regulate everything himself to be effective.

It just won't work, it's a complete clash of ideals, and I'm rather surprised that Jagr has been able to coexist with Shanahan, especially with his popularity amongst the fans and media.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Fletch

I wouldn't go so far...

as to say I don't like Jagr because of it, but there is something to be said when one guy isn't so integral to a team. It's not Jagr's fault his supporting cast doesn't help much. And I think he's done a darn good job with what he has to work with. When things don't go well, it's different, because he doesn't always go out there and give an honest shift in those situations. But, the guy's come through and there are successful teams that have had go-to guys where it's worked.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
And this is why I don't like Jagr.

Jagr HAS TO be the go-to guy, and have all of the spotlight. He HATES sharing the spotlight with someone else. Ever since Lemieux retired, and Francis left for Carolina, Jagr's ego has gone through the roof. I mean Jagr is a great player and all, but there was no reason for him to whine his way to Washington when Lemieux came back. Do you people remember how Jagr threw a ****-fit when he gave up the captain's c to Lemieux? Sorry to go off on sort of a tangent, but having another high profile offensive player on this team who doesn't work through Jagr would be a clash of ideals, and being that Jagr is the marquee name that sells, - and we all know about Dolan's obsession with marquee names - whoever that person would be clashing with Jagr would get the axe.

It's like the Knicks with Marbury. Everything has to run through him, he has to have the ball. Now, in comes Steve Francis. Francis is another player who has to have the ball and regulate everything himself to be effective.

It just won't work, it's a complete clash of ideals, and I'm rather surprised that Jagr has been able to coexist with Shanahan, especially with his popularity amongst the fans and media.
more non-sense about jagr..For somebody that was 6 when Jagr broke into the NHL it's hard to take you seriously when you talk about his whole career..

For somebody that followed the Jagr's career you would know he NEVER gave captain's C to Lemieux..
At least get the Jagr and Lemieux situation right..If you are going to question Jagrs heart and work ethic at least be fair...
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-10799451_ITM

Why shouldn't Jagr have an ego? Do you really want to say he can't back up his EGO?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

Well we did have him after all

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
What the hell? "It wont work" but you said said Jagr is co-existing with Shanahan, guess what, that means its working.

Jagr wants to win. I highly doubt he'd be annoyed if we added some help. He even mentioned during the offseason/preseason that he was happy on how the team was improved.. if he had a problem with being the "in the spotlight" he wouldn't have made that comment...

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote