HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Falcons @ Pack 1/21

Old
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
GDT: Falcons @ Pack 1/21

Pack tied up 1-1.

Callahan with his 26th goal of the season assisted by Immonen.

The scoresheet reads it was an EN goal but im sure thats a mistake since it was in the middle of the 1st period.

Pack out shooting the falcons 20-4 after one.

For some reason Valiquette is in net again after playing yesterday night as well.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Fletch

Posted this in the wrong thread...

1-1 after one. They mostly dominated the period, especially the first half, but took a penalty and gave up the first goal on the ensuing PP. Immonen then led a nice breakaway (2-on-2) with Callahan, threaded a saucer pass between two defensemen to Callahan who made a great move driving to the net and scored a goal while crashing into the goalie.

The only line sticking out is the Dawes/Immonen/Callahan line, who I'd guess had nearly 10 shots in the period and missed more than half that amount and has been cycling very well. I'd guess they'll score again this game.

The other lines are Korps/Dubi/Isbister, which was mostly quiet (didn't notice Korps one bit, and Dubi's been good in the faceoff circle), especially the wingers; Byers/Helminen/Moore, which was mostly quiet (Byers did make some noise in front of the net once) and Lessard and Weller are the other two forwards, neither of whom were noticeable.

On defense, Girardi was looking good, making nice, smart passes. He's paired with Liffiton. Baranka had a couple agressive shifts, and played with Richter. Purinton and Degon have been mostly quiet.

Valiquette was not tested much in the first. I think he could've had the first goal.

The 'Pack PP looks like the Rangers' PP.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Fletch

Richter with another penalty...

Falcons on the PP...

Old
01-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Fletch

Good, aggressive kill....

some highlights:

Isbister with a good scoring chance. Baranka led a rush that ended in Helminen hitting the post.

Barnanka and Purinton playing well in their own zone.

Good shift after the PK.

Another penalty - hooking, on the 'Pack (Richter).

Old
01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Fletch

Falcons dominating first 7 minutes...

just had an entire PP in the 'Pack zone - PKers were exhausted - no real chances though.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Fletch

'Pack PP...

great chance, Immonen to Degon, but Degon's stick broke!

Old
01-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Fletch

Dawes generates a great chance,

but fans on the shot.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Fletch

Another PP opp

for the 'Pack.

Immonem stymied by the goalie after a Baranka drive. He's kept the, in the game. 'Pack dominating again.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Fletch

5-on-3

for 46 seconds.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Fletch

Immonen..

misses god chance (lost footing). Callahan whiffs on one Immo setup and shoots high on the othef and they don't convert.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Fletch

Another PP

Baranka with a huge open ice hit in his zone - leading to a turnover.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Fletch

Some second period notes..

much of the same from the first...same players impressed. Baranka's having his best game in a while, and his most aggressive game. He made a flub on the PP, but caught up to the guy and stole the puck away and went the other way. He's good.

Liffiton plays the point on the PP - not sure why - late in a PP he did a bad job keeping the puck in.

They almost got one late on the PP - with a bit more than 1 second left, Immonen won the faceoff and Byers got the shot off.

Springfield's goalie has been the difference thus far.

Old
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Pizza

Baranka scores on the PP.

Pack up 2-1.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:07 PM
The Big Apple

Pack win third game in a row....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:17 PM
bmoak

Pack outshoot Falcons 55-22.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Pack outshoot Falcons 55-22.
whoa

putting the puck on net, thats what i want!

Baranka should be on this club...it ticks me off so much hes still in hartford.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Pizza

Pack win a tough tight game 2-1.

55-22 ad in shots for the Pack. Springfield's goalie Kari Ramo had a great game. 53 saves Sheesh!!

Dawes: 7 shots. Immo: 6 shots. Cally: 5 shots.

Goals: Cally (26) from Immo EV. Baranka (3) from Dawes and Degon PP.

Pack record 25-17-3. I think Crawford said that the Pack have just 6 regulation losses in the last 28 games. It will be very interesting to see what HFD does the rest of the season.....especially after a few prospects in junior show up.

I'll be listening and watching more Pack games as the season winds up.

Old
01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Pack win a tough tight game 2-1.

55-22 ad in shots for the Pack. Springfield's goalie Kari Ramo had a great game. 53 saves Sheesh!!

Dawes: 7 shots. Immo: 6 shots. Cally: 5 shots.

Goals: Cally (26) from Immo EV. Baranka (3) from Dawes and Degon PP.

Pack record 25-17-3. I think Crawford said that the Pack have just 6 regulation losses in the last 28 games. It will be very interesting to see what HFD does the rest of the season.....especially after a few prospects in junior show up.

I'll be listening and watching more Pack games as the season winds up.
25-17-3 is actually really impressive when you think about how they started, wasnt it something like 1-9-1 or something insane like that?

Old
01-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Fletch

'Pack win...

some notes...in the third Schoeny juggled his lines - moving Callahan to play with Dubi and Isbister up with Immonen, to try to get some balance as the Dubi line wasn't going. Seemed to work a bit.

Renney must've been in the stands because Immonen had his best game I've seen all season, and one of the best I've ever seen from him. He was all over the puck in all zones. Carried the puck with confidence (and a bit more speed), and dished off the puck nicely. He had a lot of shots for a guy who passed a heck of a lot. His line must've had 25 shots on goal (including defensemen). Immonen was easily the best guy on the ice today.

Dawes seemed to be energized too. Didn't score a goal, but was involved. Great to see.

Callahan played very well. Scored a very nice goal that demonstrated his ability to go to the net. Liking this kid more and more.

Dubi didn't get a shot, or at least I don't think. But Dubi displayed another part of his game, which is the physical side. He didn't lay guys out, but man did he demonstrate balance and an ability to remain with the puck while being held onto by a defenseman. If he gets bigger, he could be a monster.

Korps - still wondering why he was a first round pick, let alone one for whom the Rangers moved up. Hopefully there's more to come. He doesn't appear to be getting better as the season moves along.

Baranka seemed like he's ready for the NHL right now. It'll be rough going early as there will be adjustments to his game, but he doesn't have much else to learn in the AHL.

Girardi moves the puck nicely - I don't see much else in him.

Greg Moore - what a disappointment thus far. Really had hopes of a more offensive player, and a more physical player.

Byers - played with more of an edge, but he doesn't grind it out like you'd expect from a guy with all those PIMs.

Isbister - why was he called up? I do have to say that he did at least screen the goalie on Baranka's goal (Immonen was there in front too, both in great position for the PP).

Valiquette wasn't tested much - but I wonder why he was playing on back to back nights. Where's Montoya? Who's the future here? I had hoped that Montoya would get the lion's share of the start this season - just made too much sense. He's played well this season - funny enough, the team in front of him didn't early, but he hung on.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

It looks like the pack started off at 4-10-1 in their first 15 games, meaning after that theyve gone 21-7-2

Thats a VERY good record right there.

Old
01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
crisb

Good to see the youngsters working hard.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Pizza

"Greg Moore - what a disappointment thus far. Really had hopes of a more offensive player, and a more physical player".

I agree. Moore's game seems not to have developed very much at all in Hartford. He has the size and the speed, but seems not to use it very much. I don't get the sense that he's a very motivated player. At least Korps keeps making drives to the net like the one the other night.

Old
01-22-2007, 01:19 AM
VEGASRANGERFAN

What kind of player could Baranka be compared to? I don't get to see Pack games so I have no clue about most of our prospects.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:42 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
"Greg Moore - what a disappointment thus far. Really had hopes of a more offensive player, and a more physical player".

I agree. Moore's game seems not to have developed very much at all in Hartford. He has the size and the speed, but seems not to use it very much. I don't get the sense that he's a very motivated player. At least Korps keeps making drives to the net like the one the other night.
I never see any of the prospects play but maybe Moore will need a couple of years to get adjusted to the pro game. If I remember correctly, he made a big jump as a prospect in his senior year at Maine so maybe in the next year or two in Hartford we will see what Moore will really bring to the table once in the NHL. Just a thought though.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:20 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
I never see any of the prospects play but maybe Moore will need a couple of years to get adjusted to the pro game. If I remember correctly, he made a big jump as a prospect in his senior year at Maine so maybe in the next year or two in Hartford we will see what Moore will really bring to the table once in the NHL. Just a thought though.
You have a point there. But its also a sign that he maybe aren't a fast learner so to speak.

Though if we for example look at Dawes season last year, he had a very slow start too. And then really took off when he found chemistry with Helminen and Genoway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Korps - still wondering why he was a first round pick, let alone one for whom the Rangers moved up. Hopefully there's more to come. He doesn't appear to be getting better as the season moves along.
I am not all that worried about his offensive production. He is not getting top PP time, and that always affects the production allot.

But more importantly, the game down there is pretty extreme. There is very little neutralzone hockey in the AHL right now. Very few teams have a blueline thats good enough to stand up before they end up in the lap of their goalie. When D's on the teams that HFD are playing against occasionally steps up and joins the offense, they are very slow at getting back and there is allot of room behind them.

That defenitly suits certain types of players, its very obvious for two cathegorys. One, guys that have a hard time getting through the neutral zone, these players basically gets a free ride now, compared to how it would have been in the NHL. Second, it also suits players that are great at jumping behind the defense when they move up to get breakaways ect.

Beeing able to jump behind the D's are great, but its a helluva lot harder to do it in the NHL then the AHL. Players who aren't good in the transition game but great down low can dominate the AHL but would be a liability in the NHL, if you aren't great there you will loose allot of pucks and thoose will always result in a scoring chance the other way.

Korpikoski actually like to go deep in the transition game and transport the puck up ice. And he is not a great player down low either. He doesn't have the extreme quickness like Dawes to dart into open space around a extremely crowded net in the AHL or the strength to dominate along the boards.

While in aspects were he is really good, like taking the puck up ice, and challenging a collected D, ie typical neutralzone hockey, he aren't really challenged. I've seen him beat a ton of D's in the AHL, but these guys are always standing pretty deep in their own end with 2 forwards to back them up so Korpedo always ends up behind the net. In the NHL its harder for him to beat someone on the outside, but that is something I think he will be able to do, and when he does he gets a breakaway. NHL teams are much better in all defensive aspects then AHL teams, they can therfor play with much much smaller marginals. You know what happends if Malik coughs up the puck. So many D's in the AHL does that all the time that they are forced to play with much less distance between their forwards and their D's, so that when a puck is lost there is players back who can recover it.

Though, at the same time it would of course have been great if Korpikoski could have been more effective in the AHL. But I think thats only a matter of time. And I don't even know if it matters much, scoring pts is pretty much about cheating in the end. The lower level you play on the more you can cheat, and get away with it, and the higher up you get, the opertunitys to cheat are dramatically deflated and you will only hurt your team.

A more extreme example is the QJMHL. A ton of players scores around 1.5-2.0 pts per game there, and all are defenitly not that great. Then when a kid like Alexander Radulov with all the talent in the World goes there youd expect him to be allot better then other players his age who aren't even drafted but still scoring a ton, but Radulov only gets 1 ppg his first season, despite having twice the amount of talent as players scoring twice he much as he does. The season after that though he had learned how to cheat, how to stay behind at the redline, or how to not pass the puck but trying to challenge 5 guys since he have learned that he can get away with it, and scores 2 ppg. I personally doubts that Radulov will benefit at all from his experience from the QMJHL in the NHL.

Korpedo haven't played much junior hockey. He have played against men his last three season. Before that he played at the u20 level as a 16 and 17th y/o. He have never been at a level were he have been able to dominate offensivly. In terms of tactics he plays a really good game team game. Have been a top PKer in HFD from the first time he stepped on the ice. If we played another season in the AHL he would learn to cut the corners more, to be more effective, when to take risks and stay behind D's that expose themselfs, how to explore a defense that sinks into the lap of their goalie and stuff like that.

In other words I think Korpikoskis offensive game will transform allot better to the NHL then Callahans offensive game for example. So many of Ryans goals comes from either jumping behind the D's, or taking shots at a net with 3 defending players and 2 HFD guys screening the goalie. Don't get me wrong, I really like Callahan and have high hopes from him, but realistically I have big doubts on his potential as a 2nd line player. I think Korpikoski have higher potential to become a 2nd line player then Callahan.

Last edited by Ola: 01-22-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote