HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers @ Rangers 1pm MSG

Old
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
HenrikO'doyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
slowly and slowly this team is draining the passion as a fan out of me. i stopped paying attention around the half to focus on other things and briefly checked back in. i have never done that before. from the owner, to management, to the players, to Sam and Joe...this is far cry from the good 'ol days in Rangerland. at what point will they stop feeding us lies? its getting quite offensive. i just cannot take much more of being splashed in the face with kool aid...
If you say anything bad about anything being run by James Dolan you will be out, just ask marv Albert.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Fletch

Not really, Il...

he's about 20 years old. He continues to improve at the AHL level but is still quite inconsistent, which is a result of his age and experience. He can stand to gain some more AHL experience, become more consistent, then be ready to stick in the NHL. I'd guess that the plan would be that when he comes up, it'll be for him to stay up, as opposed to calling him up, watch him struggle, and sending him back down. Give him some time.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:14 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The good old days in Rangerland? When was that? Seriously, I'm very surprised by some of the reactions from some fans. I thought the Rangers would make the playoffs this season and could win a round. That said, I would not be surprised if they miss the postseason. And I felt that way last season.

What we're seeing is what this team is - a very flawed, very streaky and poorly constructed team.
yes. but when the future looks bleak and the organization has no clue then it becomes very frustrating. it 's one thing to struggle with kids its another to struggle with players like malik, krog, hossa, cullen etc..........

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Another game that I am glad I didn't watch.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
yes. but when the future looks bleak and the organization has no clue then it becomes very frustrating. it 's one thing to struggle with kids its another to struggle with players like malik, krog, hossa, cullen etc..........
I guess I just don't see how this season is different from the most of the past 8 seasons.

01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I guess I just don't see how this season is different from the most of the past 8 seasons.
Well, the main difference to me is that we actually had hope this year and I think that the fact that we did is a real mental crusher to fans. I mean, I didn't have Cup hopes, but I had hopes that the team would perform like they did last year and show the same heart and will. Especially after bringing in heart and soul guys like Ward and Cullen. I'm about as disappointed as can possibly be in the effort and result that this team has shown so far.

I thought it would be a wake-up call. You know? Getting run over every night for 10 games or so. I figured that the team was just underperforming. But 50 or so games into the season and it's still the same way it was at the beginning?

I really don't know what to say. I'm very disenchanted so far about this year. It's a real shame, IMO.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Fletch

SBoB...

this season shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I remember talking about this at the beginning of the season. We all knew that this race will be tighter than most races we've seen in recent memory, and the Rangers will be battling it out for a playoff spot, not running away with one. I think last season took everyone by surprise - I tend to look at the post-Olympics results as opposed to the pre-Olymics record as a real measure, and by that measure, this team has actually improved a bit.

But it's funny - we thought that this team needed Henke to be Henke and all would be well - but this team cannot find scoring. Shanny's gone 19 games without an ES goal (and having only scored one goal). We all thought Renney was borrowing time with Shanny by playing him so much on the PK, etc.

Where they are right now is to be expected. Not surprised at all.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Well, the main difference to me is that we actually had hope this year and I think that the fact that we did is a real mental crusher to fans. I mean, I didn't have Cup hopes, but I had hopes that the team would perform like they did last year and show the same heart and will. Especially after bringing in heart and soul guys like Ward and Cullen. I'm about as disappointed as can possibly be in the effort and result that this team has shown so far.

I thought it would be a wake-up call. You know? Getting run over every night for 10 games or so. I figured that the team was just underperforming. But 50 or so games into the season and it's still the same way it was at the beginning?

I really don't know what to say. I'm very disenchanted so far about this year. It's a real shame, IMO.
There's always hope. Every year for the last 8 seasons we have gone into the season with hope. The only exception was last season. But this team did not greatly improve over the off season. And other teams in the East got better.

They still had a top heavy offensive team (even if Prucha and Cullen panned out). THey still had offensively devoid third and fourth lines. And they still had a defense corp that did not feature and true #1,#2 or #3 defenseman.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Just got back from work, I know they lost but can someone give me a quick rundown/recap of what happened. Who scored, how did Henrik play, etc etc. Thanks, if you dont want to type it here you can just pm it to me.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
There's always hope. Every year for the last 8 seasons we have gone into the season with hope. The only exception was last season. But this team did not greatly improve over the off season. And other teams in the East got better.

They still had a top heavy offensive team (even if Prucha and Cullen panned out). THey still had offensively devoid third and fourth lines. And they still had a defense corp that did not feature and true #1,#2 or #3 defenseman.
I don't know, I certainly didn't go in with much hope the last 8 seasons. Not at all. In fact, I think this is the first year in at LEAST 5 or 6 years that I've had even a glimmer of hope for a decent team -- at least a team with the ability to freaking be as good as last year after acquiring a few decent players and one great one.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Fletch

Henrik kept it...

from being 8-1. Lehtonen kept it from being 8-3. The Rangers struggled to get quality chances. The Rangers didn't capitalize on PPs, even shortening a couple, while being given a 5-on-3 opportunity. The defense, overall, looked quite poor and was beat regularly, thankfully the Thrashers didn't capitalize on their many opportunities. No line seemed to generate consistent offense. Krog played his most invisible game in his most visible role.

The PK played well though.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Why don't we try Colton Orr on the 2nd line now? We've tried everyone else.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
SML

The team is just not well put together, plain and simple. Far too easy to play against. We have no players who bring any combination of playing ability and agressiveness at all. Other teams go upside our best players heads all night with no fear of reprisal. On a nightly basis it's a question of who's going to take liberties against us. It has to stop. This team got to the playoffs last season, which was a huge step toeard ending our strak of being the punchline to leaguewide jokes, but in reality, we are not that much better off than we were missing the playoffs. This is smoke and mirrors here. Our best players have a shelf life of no more than 2 seasons past this one. Where are we going to be when Shanahan retires, Jagr goes back to Europe, and Straka and Nylander follows? What is the point of just squeaking into the playoffs to get the doors blown off by real teams? We have some young players who have real futures in the organization. I think it may be time to get some of them a look. Not just on the 4th line playing with Orr and Hollweg, to get real situation time, PP, PK, etc. Dubinsky may be the starting point. I think the second Staal is done in juniors, he should be here unless he proves he shouldn't be. Maybe Montoya should get a call up for a start now and then. Dawes should be back here if we can't score. Hossa has done well as a defensive forward, but we need to think in terms of guys who have long term plans, and how giving this ice to the Hossa'a and Ward's and Cullen's affects them. Korpikoski can't be up here NOT scoring as well as any of them? I by no means think we should pull the plug on the season yet, but somethin needs to be done.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:37 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Our Savior! (someone photoshop the Jesus statue from Dogma with Coltons head)

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
other teams will NEVER see it coming.

DO IT!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:41 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
other teams will NEVER see it coming.

DO IT!

Maybe he can crosscheck the puck in, right? I mean as long as he keeps his stick low enough it's still a goal!

Old
01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
I don't know, I certainly didn't go in with much hope the last 8 seasons. Not at all. In fact, I think this is the first year in at LEAST 5 or 6 years that I've had even a glimmer of hope for a decent team -- at least a team with the ability to freaking be as good as last year after acquiring a few decent players and one great one.
Exactly how I see it. Getting Ward and Cullen did not make me believe for one second that this team was a Cup Contender. But after seeing last years team come to play EVERY night, I was hopeful for the team to carry that style over to this year. And believe me after the 7 years and having the lockout, I thought a corner was turned. They were not physical forces to be reckoned with, but the never die attitude they played with made the Garden an awesome place to be at last year. How many times have we heard Sweet Caroline? Put it this way, after to going to a few games last year and eight so far this year, I should not be looking for different ways to spend my money. Its just plain not enjoyable to see Malik drudge around, Cullen fall down, Shanny stand up and fight for nothing, Hossa stickhandle his way into shootout superstardom only to do nothing in a regular game, Jagr float, Straka get outmuscled, Nylander skate circles but never shoot the puck, Hank get peppered game after game, A.Ward commit bonehead mistake after mistake, Prucha get ***** slapped all around the forward lineup, and Jason Krog be hailed the savior. And I hate being lied to time and time again. But at the end of the day, this management team is SO GOD DAMN LUCKY to have the most DEVOTED fan base. ( sometimes I wonder, what if this was another team whose fanbase was not as deeply sown as this one?) After the all star break, we'll all get up again and yell for the team till our hearts bleed blue.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
HAHA Rachunek just TOSSED the net into the boards after Hossa finally scored. That was classic.
Can someone get a video of it up? I'd like to watch the best part of the game again. Thanks.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Our Savior! (someone photoshop the Jesus statue from Dogma with Coltons head)

Old
01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
eco's bones

Malik sucks. He was absolutely horrible.

I also think that Dubinsky should get a look. Cullen is not setting up Shanahan. Krog is a borderline player. Betts is not second line and Jarkko they seem to think is too slow. Nylander is the only center we have that makes plays. It wouldn't hurt to see what he can do--put him on a line with Shanny and Prucha--move Cullen to the third. If nothing else he'll add grit.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
That's good!

Old
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Malik sucks. He was absolutely horrible.

I also think that Dubinsky should get a look. Cullen is not setting up Shanahan. Krog is a borderline player. Betts is not second line and Jarkko they seem to think is too slow. Nylander is the only center we have that makes plays. It wouldn't hurt to see what he can do--put him on a line with Shanny and Prucha--move Cullen to the third. If nothing else he'll add grit.
Immonen is not too slow, that's just a bunch of BS they use to bring in a vet.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I dunno, i think his speed certainly is an issue, but i do think his overall game compensates for it.

Old
01-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Can someone get a video of it up? I'd like to watch the best part of the game again. Thanks.
In a little while, just go to NHL.com's goal highlights for the game, I'm sure they'll keep that part in the highlight. Although, Rachunek was SO late getting back, they may cut the highlight off before he gets to the net.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:03 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

I'm not saying he can't play. He's had a chance anyway. Cullen is not doing it. Betts isn't going to do it and I have strong doubts about Krog. Jarkko is 24 and has not had that great a season in the AHL either. You have to wonder a little.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote