HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers one of 12 teams to inquire about Forsberg

Old
01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
No need to go crazy because a few delusional Flyers fans think that they're going to get a King's Ransom for a guy who's had more injuries than points this season.
I have plenty of reason to worry that our GM will deal a lot to land Forsberg. Look what he dealt for Lindros, who IMO had a much lower value. A top 5 pick in Brendl, a guy who was really looking like a steal in KJ, and a guy who played well for us in Hlavac who had chemistry with guys on our team.

I mean, that was for braindead Lindros. Lindros who's bell was rung more times than any church bell. Lindros who's career was falling apart before our eyes. Lindros who wasn't really valued by any other team other than the Rangers.

This is Forsberg. A player that plays well in the playoffs and a guy who is still highly coveted around this league. 10x as coveted as Lindros is (quite ironic, no?) even in this day and age where he can't play anywhere but the Quad Hockey League without breaking his ankle or blowing a spleen or dying.

I am willing to bet that if WE landed him we'd lose guys like Prucha, Dubinsky, a 1st round pick, and a guy like Dawes.

I don't trust this organization while Sather still has a job here. Remember, Dolan loves marquee players. Maloney can say whatever he wants. Fact of the matter is that he, at the end of the day, isn't the guy that signs off on the deals. Sather is. Sather answers to Dolan. If Dolan wants a guy like Forsberg, Sather will spend assets to get him and probably vastly overpay for cripple boy.

That's the brutal truth here, unfortunately.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think you are going to be surprised by how much they do get for Forsberg. Using what the Blues got for Weight and they going up from there is a good starting place.
Exactly. I joked about it for a bit because at the time it seemed unreasonable to think they'd get THAT much. But come to think about it, I think that they'll get at least twice what the Blues got for an slightly inferior player in Weight.

Forsberg has this whole myth and aura about him that he is some playoff God. And it isn't just fans that buy into that.

Old
01-20-2007, 03:29 PM
HenrikO'doyle

I dont really want him, hes 34. Thats a bit too young I dont think sather and Renney would want someone that young.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
I dont really want him, hes 34. Thats a bit too young I dont think sather and Renney would want someone that young.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Jessiman might be the only hockey player on the planet that I wouldn't trade Mike York for.

all i can do is laugh for it is far too late to cry over this one.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
UPDATE: Dave Maloney reported during the first period that the Flyers asked for Dubinsky and Montoya for Forsberg -- obviously a no-go for the Rangers.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

flyers are free basing meth.....
During the pre-game with John Giannine,Dave Maloney said the Rangers are still a work in progress and aren't looking to damage the future.Dave added the Rangers wouldn't move either Montoya or Dubinsky plus a pick for Forsberg

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
I think you are going to be surprised by how much they do get for Forsberg. Using what the Blues got for Weight and they going up from there is a good starting place.
Singn, I love Foppa, and sure, he is more talented thant Weight, but Weight was not an injury prone player who has missed games. Not only that, but Forsberg's scoring is down this season as well, and I believe that's partially due to the fact that he's playing hurt. We all know about his foot problem.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
How is that collusion? It would basically be the same situation as Doug Weight last season. Move him for a chance at the cup with an agreement in principle to return in the off-season.

It appears that many Rangers fans don't want any part of Forsberg coming to New York so I have a solution for you all! The Canucks will acquire Forsberg at the deadline and they will trade Brendan Morrison to New York, providing you with a 2nd line center! Sound good?
The article said a handshake agreement

Old
01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Singn, I love Foppa, and sure, he is more talented thant Weight, but Weight was not an injury prone player who has missed games. Not only that, but Forsberg's scoring is down this season as well, and I believe that's partially due to the fact that he's playing hurt. We all know about his foot problem.
Honestly, I think that the injury problem won't be a factor at all in what he brings in if he's moved. Stupid as that might sound, I don't think that that will be factored into the deal much.

Old
01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Honestly, I think that the injury problem won't be a factor at all in what he brings in if he's moved. Stupid as that might sound, I don't think that that will be factored into the deal much.
I agree with Jon. I wouldn't give much for him. But you know some team will. We'll see. But really think you're going to be surprised to see what he goes for.

01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I have plenty of reason to worry that our GM will deal a lot to land Forsberg. Look what he dealt for Lindros, who IMO had a much lower value. A top 5 pick in Brendl, a guy who was really looking like a steal in KJ, and a guy who played well for us in Hlavac who had chemistry with guys on our team.

I mean, that was for braindead Lindros. Lindros who's bell was rung more times than any church bell. Lindros who's career was falling apart before our eyes. Lindros who wasn't really valued by any other team other than the Rangers.

This is Forsberg. A player that plays well in the playoffs and a guy who is still highly coveted around this league. 10x as coveted as Lindros is (quite ironic, no?) even in this day and age where he can't play anywhere but the Quad Hockey League without breaking his ankle or blowing a spleen or dying.

I am willing to bet that if WE landed him we'd lose guys like Prucha, Dubinsky, a 1st round pick, and a guy like Dawes.

I don't trust this organization while Sather still has a job here. Remember, Dolan loves marquee players. Maloney can say whatever he wants. Fact of the matter is that he, at the end of the day, isn't the guy that signs off on the deals. Sather is. Sather answers to Dolan. If Dolan wants a guy like Forsberg, Sather will spend assets to get him and probably vastly overpay for cripple boy.

That's the brutal truth here, unfortunately.
You have been drinking that Philly kool aid again haven't you.I remember having an arguement with you over another ex-Flyer Dan McGillis who you loved

Toronto did offer Nik Antropov,Danny Markov and a first round pick for Eric Lindros.The Flyers wanted Tomas Kaberle instead of Markov and had no intentions of granting Eric's wish to play in TO

Old
01-20-2007, 04:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Before you storm the Garden in protest over the Rangers’ pursuit of Peter Forsberg, let’s be clear on the definition of “pursuit.” Yes, the Rangers have talked to the Flyers. But so have a number of other teams, many of which might be more desperate. And it’s already been described to me from one team source as a longshot
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Old
01-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I have an honest, hypothetical question to those who would not want to pay (in assets) to acquire Forsberg.

Say that Joe Sakic (another impending UFA) were available next month for the exact same asking price as Forsberg, whatever that is, i.e., some combination of prospects, conditional picks, etc.

Would you make the deal?

This is not happening, of course, but there is a reason for this question.

I'm trying to figure out if NYR fans currently view their team as:

a) incapable of making a legit run in the East, period. Or...

b) if it's a matter of Forsberg not being the "right" player, in their opinion (because of injury factor, etc). Or...

c) both.

Bonafide contenders make bold moves, take chances with prospects in order to acquire the final, missing piece(s). Likewise, non-contenders shouldn't.

I'm not prejudging; am curious where others come down on this.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
I agree with Jon. I wouldn't give much for him. But you know some team will. We'll see. But really think you're going to be surprised to see what he goes for.
I agree.

I just would not give up much at all, but I think the injury factor will drop his value a little bit. Also, considering the fact that he would probably end up going back to Philly in the summer, teams are going to be a little more hesitant to take a "Flyer" - pun intended - on him.

Some team needing that final piece to the puzzle will overpay for him.

I hope it's not us, because we're more than one final piece from a cup, and I don't want to give up the young assets they'll want in return.

Unless he comes dirt cheap, I don't want him.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:36 PM
IanB

This is also in the "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" board.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193006&hubname=nhl

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:44 PM
GarretJoseph*

As Much as it excites me to think about Forsberg in a NYR jersey, I just keep thinking of Pavel Bure and how much I wanted the NYR to go after him & while he played GREAT here, we all know how that ended up.

As far as the lines go, I wouldn't break up Straka-Nylander-Jagr.

Instead, Shanny W/ Forsberg. I dunno who to put with them.. Prucha..unless hes going to Philly for him...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 07:58 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I have an honest, hypothetical question to those who would not want to pay (in assets) to acquire Forsberg.

Say that Joe Sakic (another impending UFA) were available next month for the exact same asking price as Forsberg, whatever that is, i.e., some combination of prospects, conditional picks, etc.

Would you make the deal?

b) if it's a matter of Forsberg not being the "right" player, in their opinion (because of injury factor, etc). Or...

c) both.

Bonafide contenders make bold moves, take chances with prospects in order to acquire the final, missing piece(s). Likewise, non-contenders shouldn't.

I have to go with (b) on this one.

I think that with the right second line (or first line) center all of the spare part wingers that the Rangers have will finally fall into place and that they can make a decent run into the playoffs. Then it's just a matter of whether the team can play some consistent team defense (with the help of Lundqvist). Given that scenario, I can see the Rangers possibly making it far in the playoffs.

As far as Forsberg goes, I've said before that I wouldn't touch him with a 39 1/2 foot pole. I can see the Rangers trading for him, and then he goes on a tear until April when he suffers a season ending injury. And then it's 4 and out in the playoffs. Now, as my desperation for the center the Rangers need increases, I think we can decrease the length of that pole to 19 1/2 feet. If the price is right I'd take him, but I don't think there's any way the price would be right.

And yes, I'd probably make the trade for Sakic -- I could honestly see that turning into the next Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson for Zarley Zalapski and a puck bag deal. And we know how that one turned out.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Would you make the deal?

c) both.

Aside frome some "miracle run" I don't think the Ranger stand a chance in hell of doing anything even remotely memorable in April. In fact, I'm not all that confident in them making the playoffs. And even with Forsberg, we'd just prolong the inevitble. Forsberg would be the Chemo for this terminally ill team. He'd produce borrowed time...assuming, of course, he can stay in the lineup for my than 5 games at a time.
Contending teams make bold moves because they're a contending team and can afford to make such moves. The Rangers just aren't there yet. Our captain has a busted wing and is flanked by two very streaky players and then we have Shanny whose centered by 4th pugilists every game. After that there is a drop off in talent so steep you'd need a parachute to get to the bottom of it. I don't count Prucha into any of this because he's so far off Renney's chart I wouldn't be suprised to hear Prucha skated on a line with the team stick boy and a zamboni driver during the next practice.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
alkurtz

Its always a mistake to build a team around a fragile player. You are always waiting for the other shoe to drop, always holding your breath on every check. Its an uncertainty that eats at a team and never allows for consistency. Look at how much time he has missed already this year....why would it be any different if he were here. I would not trade for him under any circumstances whatsover.

Need to defend Lindros here. If we go back to his first year here: the first ten or so games he was really ineffective. He played tentatively and seemed to shy away from hits. Then, he took a few hits and realized that he could take some physical play. The following two months (November and December) he centered the FLY Line (which I always thought of as the "Little Legion" Line) with York and Fleury.
He was super, dominant and had the Rangers in first place. At the end of December, he was a candidate for MVP. Then, came the concussion on a minor hit on the West Coast. When he returned, he was not the same (that year or the rest of his time here) and the team tanked. But for that brief period of time, he was fantastic and I'll never forget it. I was against the trade when it happened and in retrospect, it was a bad trade. I wish we had Kim Johnsson back (even though he too has those concussion problems). The lesson: don't trade for Forsberg, but please remember that the Big E gave us two months of excellence. Lindros, York, and Fleury....what a great line, one of my all time favorites (Ratelle, Gilbert, Hadfield, Goyette, Nevin, and Marshall, Tkaczuk, Fairbairn, and Balon, Nilsson, Hedberg, and Hickey), Messier, Graves, and Verbeek, Nedved, Dvorak, and Hlavac, Nylander, Jagr, and Staka)

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Great.

"Now playing at the Garden! Lindros Trade Redux!!!"

Can't wait.
Funny you phrase it like that, i was thinking last night or the night before, before the Forserg article came out, that Lindros in the right role could have really helpd this team. But thats living in the past, lets move forward and get forsberg!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 09:58 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Would you make the deal?

c) both.

I think it is unmentioned choice D. Forsberg might be the right player to help out the offense and make the offense a serious threat down the stretch and in the playoffs but something needs to be done on D as well. As I have stated before I feel this team right now is a 2nd line center and a stud defensmen away from being a cup contender.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:47 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 114
Forsberg is not the same player he was a few years ago.

He has a NTC, so he will get to chose the team he wants to go to....

one rumour had him saying Col was the only team he would go to

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The article said a handshake agreement
Exactly, a non-binding agreement. I don't see what the problem with that would be.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers are 1 of 12 teams to inquire about Forsberg.....1 in 12!!!

This isn't the Lindros trade redux this is a team kicking the tires and seeing what the cost is...Maybe the cost is worth it...maybe it isn't...
and maybe he doesnt waive his no trade clause, and stays in Philly.
I will maintain that he wont get dealt. I said that when it looked like our season was going to spiral to hell. Forsberg wants to stay in Philly. as bleak as it is and he has stayed he feels he "owes the Flyers a season" what ever that means I dont know. But he isnt going anywhere IMO.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:35 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
and maybe he doesnt waive his no trade clause, and stays in Philly.
I will maintain that he wont get dealt. I said that when it looked like our season was going to spiral to hell. Forsberg wants to stay in Philly. as bleak as it is and he has stayed he feels he "owes the Flyers a season" what ever that means I dont know. But he isnt going anywhere IMO.
Sounds good to me. Let him stay. Or go anywhere but to the Rangers.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote