HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers @ Devils, Jan. 20th, 1:00PM EST

Old
01-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Dimitrios*

vCash: 500
Let's back up and go up Nitty's *** with 20 seconds left

Dimitrios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 04:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
I didn't see the game, so I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, but the Devils getting far more power plays than the Flyers does not suprise me. It has been the norm in recent history. I can't remember the last time the Flyers more than 4 power plays in a game against the Devils. It's not just the Flyers, people here are going to say what they want, but they always draw a lot of penalties and they never take any and it's probably why they're among the league's best teams every season.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 05:39 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
On the minus side - we should have had two. And it's a day closer to the end of the season. And the Flyers didn't jeopardize their chances at the first overall draft pick.
Don't think there is any worry of us not finishing dead last. St Louis and Columbus are steadily pulling ahead of us

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
Don't think there is any worry of us not finishing dead last. St Louis and Columbus are steadily pulling ahead of us
LOL - guess I should have read that before I posted it. Those two points should have gone on the plus side!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 08:42 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I didn't see the game, so I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, but the Devils getting far more power plays than the Flyers does not suprise me. It has been the norm in recent history. I can't remember the last time the Flyers more than 4 power plays in a game against the Devils. It's not just the Flyers, people here are going to say what they want, but they always draw a lot of penalties and they never take any and it's probably why they're among the league's best teams every season.
You are correct, I read on a Devils forum recently that they had 0 penalties in their game against the Rangers. They most certainly are a well disciplined team.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Like?
Potulny - Scored a goal today, has a great shot and has been hot
Carter - great wrist shot, better scorer
Calder - Been hot
Pitkanen - offensive skill equivalent to any forward on this team
Umberger - Say what you want but he is 3rd on this team in goals

That high scoring puck wizard Richards has 1 goal this year. ONE

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Your memory isn't very good then. We've actually drawn a number of penalties against them this year.

As for today's game, a well reffed game and it should have been 4 PP's for the Devils and 3 PP's for the Flyers.

Power plays in games vs. the Devils this year

10/14 - 8
12/2 - 5
12/3 - 6

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Potulny - Scored a goal today, has a great shot and has been hot
Carter - great wrist shot, better scorer
Calder - Been hot
Pitkanen - offensive skill equivalent to any forward on this team
Umberger - Say what you want but he is 3rd on this team in goals

That high scoring puck wizard Richards has 1 goal this year. ONE
Ok lets remember now.. this is Broudiur we are taking about.

I agree about Potulny, he may score 1 on 1.
Carter - will shot and miss.. 80% chance he will miss.
Calder.. I know he scored some goals but there were not one on one, nowhere near.
Pitkanen one on one? What is he... Zubov?
Umberger on penalty shot? I hope you kidding.

Not to crap on Gagne.. but he has one good shot, snap shot... not slap shot, not wrist shot but some sort of a snap shot if there is one in hockey. What he did against Broudur was pathetic, seriously I mean did you even see it? I exppect something like that from Prinz with his eyes closed. Sorry but he has no 1 on 1 moves. I think he scored one goal this season on a breakaway and he had about 7 of them.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Jester

Quote:

Calder.. I know he scored some goals but there were not one on one, nowhere near.

Not to crap on Gagne.. but he has one good shot, snap shot... not slap shot, not wrist shot but some sort of a snap shot if there is one in hockey. What he did against Broudur was pathetic, seriously I mean did you even see it? I exppect something like that from Prinz with his eyes closed. Sorry but he has no 1 on 1 moves. I think he scored one goal this season on a breakaway and he had about 7 of them.
Gagne has a very good move to his backhand... and he's shown a good drag move that he almost beat Brodeur with earlier this year. Gagne's problem in shootouts has been that he doesn't have a ton of variety, so any goalie that has got a scouting report knew to expect the backhand move. i didn't see this game, but i know he's done the backhand move with success against Brodeur on more than one try.

Pitkanen has better stickhandling skills than just about anyone on this squad outside of Forsberg.

i wouldn't rag on anyone in a shootout... just because a player doesn't show a lot of flash during a game doesn't mean he can't have a nice move on a shootout. Richards usually is very good on shootouts, one of our best last year. however, i would be the first to question his creativity with the puck during normal play...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
RoDu

Quote:

Calder had a brake away goal no tlong ago

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Umberger is third on this team in goals. I know that doesnt say much, but he still is #3. Richards has all of one goal and is coming off an injury. I dont care if he is usually good with shoot outs. This team obviously needs to do something different.

Old
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Umberger is third on this team in goals. I know that doesnt say much, but he still is #3. Richards has all of one goal and is coming off an injury. I dont care if he is usually good with shoot outs. This team obviously needs to do something different.
if the man is good on a shootout... he's good on a shootout... and they should use him. they figured out Handzus was good on 'em last year and started putting him out there as well.

as you know, i'm more than ready to rip Richards... however, i think he should be one of our three shooters.

Old
01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if the man is good on a shootout... he's good on a shootout... and they should use him. they figured out Handzus was good on 'em last year and started putting him out there as well.

as you know, i'm more than ready to rip Richards... however, i think he should be one of our three shooters.
Richards however isn't great on shootouts.

Over the two years:

1. Goal
2. Save
3. Goal
4. Goal
5. Save
6. Save
7. Save
8. Save
9. Save
10. Save

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:54 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

Over the two years:

1. Goal
2. Save
3. Goal
4. Goal
5. Save
6. Save
7. Save
8. Save
9. Save
10. Save
I would bet 5 coincides with his "offensive skill" falling into the black abyss

Old
01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

Over the two years:

1. Goal
2. Save
3. Goal
4. Goal
5. Save
6. Save
7. Save
8. Save
9. Save
10. Save

this TEAM isn't good on shootouts... we lack those type of players across the board. i'm not saying Richards is a god amongst men in shootouts, but i would put some of the moves i've seen him attempt at the higher end of the creativity scale that players have shown off here...

i think getting stopped, or scoring in a shootout says next to nothing about your offensive game away from the shootout.

are there some players that might be better on this squad? sure... but i haven't seen them. none of the players that have been mentioned to replace Richards particularly excite me as far as shootouts go... nor am i dropping any player based on whether or not he's scoring at that particular moment... christ, we all saw Malik pull off one of the better moves in a shootout last year...