HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess: Where's Murray?

Old
01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Guess: Where's Murray?

I was at the Hamilton game on Friday night and he wasn't in the lineup. Looked like the Dogs had only 11 forwards dressed. Checked the game sheet from Saturday night and he wasn't there either?

Anyway, not that most care (I do because he does help with the depth), I though we could have a little fun with this...

Hairdresser?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:04 PM
ppil

He was in the warm up yesterday in the habs game.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

He's still with the Habs. He cleared waivers, which means the Habs have 30 days to send him down while he doesn't have to clear waivers again to do so. After 30 days, his waiver eligibility kicks back in and he'll have to clear again to get sent down. With Begin still out, I don't see why we'd send him down.

01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
zurg999

So basically, he's holding a roster spot only because no one claimed him? I suppose he has a one way contract so sending him down and bringing someone up wouldn't make sense cap wise?

Wouldn't that mean that by waiving him, the Habs have given an indication there's someone else they'd like up with the big club?

Old
01-21-2007, 01:17 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
So basically, he's holding a roster spot only because no one claimed him? I suppose he has a one way contract so sending him down and bringing someone up wouldn't make sense cap wise?

Wouldn't that mean that by waiving him, the Habs have given an indication there's someone else they'd like up with the big club?
Yeah. Maxim Lapierre.... Really I think they just wanted the flexibility of being able to send Murray down if -- when Begin's back -- they don't want to send down Lapierre.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
ppil

Quote:

They are just trying to get rid of him before Begin comes back and probably also because he is signed for next year and I don't see how he will be able to get a roster spot.

Old
01-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Mike8

Quote:
One-way contracts have nothing to do with the salary cap. If he was sent to the AHL, he'd be paid the same amount he'd be paid in the NHL, but it wouldn't count against the cap.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
One-way contracts have nothing to do with the salary cap. If he was sent to the AHL, he'd be paid the same amount he'd be paid in the NHL, but it wouldn't count against the cap.
You sure? Cause I seem to remember the Devils last year having a similar but bigger problem with Mogilny's contract.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:40 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
You sure? Cause I seem to remember the Devils last year having a similar but bigger problem with Mogilny's contract.
Well I'm really not sure about that but I think it was related to Mogilny's age, I think that when a player is over 35, his salary will count against the cap no matter where he plays, but once again, I'm really not sure about that.

Old
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
That was due to Mogilny's age, as ppil stated.

McGillis, for example, has been in the AHL the past two seasons because of his cap hit. The Devils would certainly prefer him in the NHL than the various scrubs they've got at the #6 defenseman slot.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
That was due to Mogilny's age, as ppil stated.

McGillis, for example, has been in the AHL the past two seasons because of his cap hit. The Devils would certainly prefer him in the NHL than the various scrubs they've got at the #6 defenseman slot.
And the wonder that is the new CBA prevents any contract from being renegotiated.. something that in this case I can imagine that both New Jersey and McGillis would benefit from.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Mike8

It's good that contracts can't be re-negotiated. Imagine Higgins signing a 5-year deal with Montreal worth $2.25m a season. Seemingly a good deal for both sides & market value.

Higgins all of a sudden puts up 35 goals, 70 points with regularity, while being Montreal's best defensive forward. He decides he's not making what he deserves, and asks for more. That request is denied. Now there's either a certain amount of resentment, or a hold-out that occurs. (Ignore Higgins' character, as we know it to be)

This scenario is rare, but it happened in the old NHL. I like that it's not a possibility anymore.

And while McGillis and NJ may both benefit from a re-negotiation, it serves as a lesson to both of them (and everyone else) to be absolutely certain when you're signing.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:58 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Good for the NHL franchises in that case, sure. The difference between the NHL and the NFL where this happens all the time, is that contracts are guaranteed. An NHL team can't cut you tomorrow. It's not to a player's benefit to "hold out" when contracts are guaranteed because the franchises have a lot more leverage.

I think the no re-negotiation clause is more a safety handcuff than anything. Preventing negotiations and players from further destroying the financial stability of the NHL.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Razorblade

Quote:
I was at the Hamilton game on Friday night and he wasn't in the lineup. Looked like the Dogs had only 11 forwards dressed. Checked the game sheet from Saturday night and he wasn't there either?
In the AHL you dress 11 forwards and 6 defence (well, 17 skaters) instead of 18 like in the NHL.

Razorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
In the AHL you dress 11 forwards and 6 defence (well, 17 skaters) instead of 18 like in the NHL.
I didn't know that.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
TomPlex

He was at Sofia's last night with almost every other Hab!

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Maddas*

I know where he lives

EDIT: Maybe we should start a ''Where do the players live?'' stalking thread.

Last edited by Maddas*: 01-21-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Insight.
Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
SOFIA'S (near or on St-Denis...can't remember).

I think I've been there once or twice about 2 years ago...it's a lounge, no?

Not too big, not the smallest either (130-150 people MAXimum?)...kind of a semi-fancy martini place (fancy meaning nice candle-lit atmosphere!? a few couches with candles on the small tables...), and they have a band, no? if there's no band then it's a variety of music they play? (some light rock, some pop, some French Quebecois music a la Jean Leloup, light alternative music, acid jazz...).

Am I mistaken? Or this

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Was Kovalev there ?

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
5 man unit

AHL Players Cap hit

Can someone clarify the cap hit of a player, like Murray, who is on a one-way contract, clears waivers, and then is sent down?

I know Mogilny, who was in a similar situation last year, counted.

Is this a case of how old the player is?

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Mogilny counted because he negotiated and signed his contract after he'd turned 35. For such contracts, they affect the cap regardless of player status. For instance Andreychuk's contract still hurts Tampa's cap situation even though he's retired.

Murray, if sent down, will not count toward the cap at all. In fact, Murray may not even be counting now depending on whether Montreal has gotten LTIR status for Begin.

Old
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
5 man unit

So if the Habs sent Samsonov down, his salary wouldn't count either?

I thought the the rule about signing a contract when you were over 35 only had to do with guys retiring.

5 man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope. The salary counts even if they're in the minors.

Samsonov would have to clear waivers, but yes. If he were sent to the AHL, he would not count toward the cap. The risk that exists is that if such a player is called back up, he is subject to re-entry waivers, that is, if a team makes a waiver claim that team only have to pay half of the player's salary for the current season with the team calling him back up would have to pay the other half. This is how the Kings claimed Sean Burke.

Edit: that is one mighty run-on sentence.

Old
01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Nope. The salary counts even if they're in the minors.

Samsonov would have to clear waivers, but yes. If he were sent to the AHL, he would not count toward the cap. The risk that exists is that if such a player is called back up, he is subject to re-entry waivers, that is, if a team makes a waiver claim that team only have to pay half of the player's salary for the current season with the team calling him back up would have to pay the other half. This is how the Kings claimed Sean Burke.

Edit: that is one mighty run-on sentence.
Thanks a lot this is some good info, I was wondering the rules behind all this

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
Never was aware of that, thanks.

So much for the lineup cards you pick up at the games; it listed at least 12 forwards (might have been 13 if I remember correctly). Stortini was listed but I knew he was with Edm; can't recall the other extra name....