HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kyle Turris

Old
01-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
Kyle Turris

We hear a lot about the projected top picks for '07 like Kane, Cherepanov, Alzner, Gagner, Voracek, Esposito, Ellerby and others. We never hear about Kyle Turris on this site though, so I was wondering if I could get a scouting report of this kid and maybe who he resembles. I know that not a lot of people are likely to have seen him play because of where he is currently playing, but maybe someone could shed some light on what his strengths/weaknesses would be and where you think he'll be drafted. Is he a legit top 10? top 5? top 3?

Thanks in advance for anything you know about the kid.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:26 PM
SniperTom

Turris has got great vision and anticipation. He is a great skater, has a deadly accurate wrist shot. Has a ton of offensive upside, could use to put on 15-20 pounds. Personally I realy like what I have seen so far of this kid. Maybe I am getting fooled by the fact that the surrounding he is playing in is a bit weak. I would be suprised if he falls out of top 15, he might go as high as top 5.

SniperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Bam Beet*

I saw Turris play last night. He was probably the best player on the ice but he didn't stand out as much as I thought he would. He is a good skater, tall but skinny and has a good skillset. He needs to add some muscle to be more effective. Looked more like a perimeter player to me. I doubt he goes top 10 because of the league he plays in. He'll go somewhere between 10-20 IMO.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Hiishawk

The league he plays in will make no difference. It's all factored in, and if the player has talent it doesn't matter where he plays. After all, we've seen USHS players go 1st-5th several times, right?
Turris is a very legitimate #1 overall candidate.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblick View Post
The league he plays in will make no difference. It's all factored in, and if the player has talent it doesn't matter where he plays. After all, we've seen USHS players go 1st-5th several times, right?
Turris is a very legitimate #1 overall candidate.
Then it must be one really weak draft. Turris IMO is not a 1 overall pick. From the game I saw he didn't stand out enough to justify being the 1st overall pick especially when he's playing against inferior players than players like Kane, Cherapanov, Alzner, Esposito etc.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Gags1288

During the intermission's today of the Flyers game, interim general manager Paul Holmgren talked about 3 prospects. Angelo Esposito, Alexei Cherepanov, and Kyle Turris. I don't know if that means anything and I don't know if they're going to discuss other prospects in up-coming games, but I thought it was interesting that the one team who seems to be a lock to have a top 2 pick would bring up Turris' name.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:28 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Then it must be one really weak draft. Turris IMO is not a 1 overall pick. From the game I saw he didn't stand out enough to justify being the 1st overall pick especially when he's playing against inferior players than players like Kane, Cherapanov, Alzner, Esposito etc.
Keep in mind Turris is one of the younger eligible players this year at middle August. The kid is dynamite - 40 goals in 32 games, even if it is the ''weak'' BCHL. Dont forget at 18 Travis Zajac put up very good numbers also...but not as good as Turris.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Hiishawk

A lot of people underestimate the quality of the BCJHL and other tier two leagues, thinking they are the to the WHL what the AHL is to the NHL, a development league. But the BCJHL league has a number of excellent players hoping to get NCAA scholarships, so they choose not to play in the WHL- this includes often overlooked 18 and 19 year old (past 1st draft) players who end up excelling in the NCAA.

Also, there are many 19 and 20 year olds in the league who are a fair bit better than the 3rd/4th line 16+17 year olds in the WHL. The WHL doesn't call on these older but worthy BCJHL players because they want to develop their young guys and these older (but much more developed) 19/20 year olds often have limited futures in pro hockey and therefore want to stay near home or somewhere where they've established roots.

People expect Turris to dance through the league like it's midget hockey but it's a pretty high level of play- on par with the USHL I'd say. The other tier two leagues in Canada are also reasonably good but usually a step behind the BCJHL on average. Turris' performance against top European 89- especially Russian- opposition in November confirmed his talent.

Old
01-21-2007, 09:37 AM
bullsville

Send a message via MSN to bullsville
Turris=Poor manīs Kariya?

bullsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I know that the Kings are pretty high on Turris.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I know that the Kings are pretty high on Turris.
I'm sure there are several teams that are high on Turris. The question is whether the team(s) that has a chance at the number one overall pick would take him that high. I doubt it, but you never know.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:05 PM
SpecialK

Send a message via MSN to SpecialK
If you see Turris live, you realise why people are so high on him. Playing in the BCHL shouldnt shy people away.
He's exceptionly talented and thats all that should matter. Wisconsin see's something in him, everyone else will soon enough.

SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:15 PM
SpecialK

Send a message via MSN to SpecialK
If you see Turris live, you realise why people are so high on him. Playing in the BCHL shouldnt shy people away.
He's exceptionly talented and thats all that should matter. Wisconsin see's something in him, everyone else will soon enough.

SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post

Well, like it or not but level of competition (among other factors) plays a part in a player's evaluation. Turris happens to play in a "lesser" league, and that will be a consideration.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, like it or not but level of competition (among other factors) plays a part in a player's evaluation. Turris happens to play in a "lesser" league, and that will be a consideration.
No it will not.

If you're a shortsighted person, maybe. A guy with the elite talent Turris possesses will not be faulted at any rate for playing BCHL. There's a difference between projecting Turris at a higher level and someone like Jordan Foote. There is absolutely no chance Turris falters at the NCAA level and therefore is considered on par with Couture, Voracek, Kane etc.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
No it will not.

If you're a shortsighted person, maybe. A guy with the elite talent Turris possesses will not be faulted at any rate for playing BCHL. There's a difference between projecting Turris at a higher level and someone like Jordan Foote. There is absolutely no chance Turris falters at the NCAA level and therefore is considered on par with Couture, Voracek, Kane etc.
There's always a chance someone will falter at the next level, and if you don't think the fact Turris plays in the BCHL will be a factor in where he's selected you're mistaken.

Old
01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
We hear a lot about the projected top picks for '07 like Kane, Cherepanov, Alzner, Gagner, Voracek, Esposito, Ellerby and others. We never hear about Kyle Turris on this site though, so I was wondering if I could get a scouting report of this kid and maybe who he resembles. I know that not a lot of people are likely to have seen him play because of where he is currently playing, but maybe someone could shed some light on what his strengths/weaknesses would be and where you think he'll be drafted. Is he a legit top 10? top 5? top 3?
Early in the season I did a feature story on him. He was also talked about in the preliminary Top 5 from the BCHL.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I'm sure there are several teams that are high on Turris. The question is whether the team(s) that has a chance at the number one overall pick would take him that high. I doubt it, but you never know.
They'd probably trade down to take him.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

He's the best U of Wisconsin recruit since Dany Heatley and has the same type of scoring potential. Not many players can do what he's done in the BCHL. Like mentioned above its not an easy league and he's dominating it as one of the youngest players.

In "the new NHL" game breaking scorers are more valuable than ever. Turris has a very good chance at developing into this type of player.

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Hiishawk

Quote:
There's always a chance someone will falter at the next level, and if you don't think the fact Turris plays in the BCHL will be a factor in where he's selected you're mistaken.
The league ANY prospect plays in is always factored into the final evaluation (as is playing against elite 19 year olds at the WJC). But once that is factored in you don't further downgrade the player because his skills are what his skills are, regardless of where he plays.

Old
01-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

who has his WHL rights????

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaberlefan15 View Post
who has his WHL rights????
Vancouver Giants I believe

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:58 AM
caley

The Vancouver Province has talked him up quite a bit and every time the article mentioned that Oilers GM Kevin Lowe has been in town 3 times now to see Turris, and even introduced himself to Turris, so it sounds like the Oilers are quite high on him.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
hawksfan50

That as one of the youngest players in the draft(an Aug '89 birthdate) that he is 2nd in the BCHL in pts/game (most of the other top scoring leaders are older by 2-3 years!) and first in goals (the only one whose hit 40) despite playing less games
because he was away playing in some special tournaments and games,should be enough to tellyou he is a good prospect even if you have not seen him play....currently he is 8th in BCHL scoring at 67 pts---BCHL pts leader Tyler Bozak has 93 pts--but has played in 9 more games--if you projected Turris at his current 2.0 pts./game average to 43GP he'd have 85pts and probably over 50 goals---BUT also consider that BOZAK turns 21 this March, whereas TURRIS doesn't even turn 18 till this August---so you must consider what Turris is accomplishing in this league as a 17 year old...

Of course not every player is brilliant every game--but if you see enough games,when you see Turris' "A" game--you see easily why he should be considered a top 3 pick for this draft...He will need to get stronger and add weight/muscle-BUT he's already bigger than Pat Kane (height-wise by almost 3 inches) and I suspect about 10 lbs heavier by now-he's also 10 months younger--so I wouldn't worry about the weight--I'm sure Wisconsin has plans to bulk him up in their weight room...

I also think that among the forwards in this draft --Turris has the best goal scorer's "shot" --he's also a fast skater which Kane isn't (though Kane has great agility and puck control)--I just think Turris does more things --plus he is a centre
whereas Kane and Cherepanov are wingers--so position needs could enter into this when there is no clear cut BPA...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

I think Turris has cemented himself as a top 10 pick with top 2 potential.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote