HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arm Chair GM Time!

Old
01-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Arm Chair GM Time!

OK, A lull in the schedule, and a little bit of post BOA frustration, include the fact that Oilers are really at a crossroads personel wise, and here it goes. If you were KLO, what moves would you make from now until the start of the 2007-08 season? Would you tinker or rebuild completely?

Me personally, this is the template I'd work around.

LW-C-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-RW
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
depth/youngster-Petersen-depth/youngster
PB: Youngster-Youngster

1D-2D
Smid-Staios
Greene-Hejda
Gilbert

1G
JDD

Now, looking at that, the following players (excluding youngsters/prospects) that are missing include: Smyth (~5m), Horcoff (3.6m), Lupul (~2m), Sykora (~3m), Nedved (2.4m), Smith (~2m), Bergeron (~1m), Tjarnqvist (1.6), Roloson (4m) and Markkanen (.85).

I'm not saying we move all those guys, but if the contracts of Sykora, Nedved, Tjarnqvist and Markkanen arent renewed, it isnt hard to fathom. Some of these players could stick around, but just for argument sake, if they all go, that's a grand total of (~25.45m) in savings.

Still with me?

Deadline deal #1:
J. Smith (2m) , S. Horcoff (3.6m), J. Markkanen (.85m)
to Buffalo for
D. Kalinin (1.75m), M. Biron UFA (~2.5m) and a mid round draft pick.
Savings of ~$2.2m

Reasoning: Buffalo fans are always questioning the grit of their defense. Horcoff gives them the a more affordable option since it seems inevitable that they will be losing Briere/Drury to UFA. Markkanen is a more affordable back up option. All 3 have fresh Stanley Cup experience and would all be great additions for Buffalo's cup run.

Kalinin is under-used in Buffalo and has alot of tools that Edmonton's toolbox is currently lacking. Biron is a cheaper, younger replacement for Roloson...

Deadline deal #2
D. Roloson (4m) and J. Lupul (~2m)
to LA for
L. Visnovsky (1.9) and C. Conroy (2.4)
Savings of $~1.7m

Reasoning: Goalie woes in LA? Roli will give them a steady force, and allow them to buy out Cloutier. Lupul seems to like the California sun, and his age and skill set would add to the already good young crop of forwards in LA.

Visnovsky is a bargain, and very productive for a blue-liner, most of us can agree on that. Conroy is a player LA wants off the books, taking him in the package would make it easier to get Visnovsky.

Deadline deal #3
R. Smyth (~5m) and MA Bergeron (~1m)
to Nashville for
S. Weber (~1m)
Savings of ~5m

Reasoning: I'm not sure what Weber's value is, but I'd like to think they'd be willing to move him in a bidding war for R. Smyth, they'll be looking to make hay in the playoffs, and Smyth could put them over the top.
----------------------------------------------------

Offseason Moves:
Sign L. Nagy LW (~3.5-4m) New and Improved Czech (Slovak) mate for Hemsky.
Sign M. Handzus C/LW (~3-3.5m) New and Improved Czech (Slovak) mate for Hemsky.
Sign S. Hartnell LW/RW (~3-3.5m) The Smyth band-aid.
ADD: ~10.5M

NEW ROSTER:

Nagy-Handzus-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll (A)-Hartnell
Moreau (C)-Conroy-Pisani
depth/youngster-Reasoner-Schremp

Visnovsky-Kalinin
Smid-Staios (A)
Weber-Greene
Gilbert/Hedja

Biron
JDD

NEW PAYROLL:
Player Salary ESTIMATED (US) BALLPARK FIGURES, I CANT REMEMBER THE NEW DETAILS.

Ales Hemsky $4 million
Ladislav Nagy $4 million
Scott Hartnell $3.5 million
Micheal Handzus $3.5 million
Fernando Pisani $2.5 million
Martin Biron $2.5 million
Craig Conroy $2.4 million
Jarret Stoll $2.2 million
Ethan Moreau $2 million
Steve Staios $2 million
Lubomir Visnovksy $1.9 million
Dimitri Kalinin $1.75 million
Raffi Torres $1.5 million
Shea Weber $1 million
Ladislav Smid $984,200
Jan Hejda $942,400
Marty Reasoner $950,000
Marc-Antoine Pouliot $942,400
Rob Schremp $942,400
Jeff D. Deslaurias $900,000
Matt Greene $855,000
Alexei Mikhnov $600,000
Jean-Francois Jacques $600,000
Patrick Thoresen $551,000
Brad Winchester $500,000
TOTAL PAYROLL: ~39 MILLION

Conclusion: Wow, that sure was fun, 4-0 loss? what 4-0 loss? I never took the rebuilding mode, as much as it is a re-stocking mode. All the players we get are in, or about to enter the prime of their careers, with the exception of Conroy. No high price tag signings, means we keep a level pay scale and are able to keep the core together for a few years. My method does however make our backlog of prospects situation that much worse, so moving some of them might be a smart choice as well.

Flame away....like you weren't gonna anyways.

Have fun.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
razman22

Trading Roloson to any team would be very difficult. Especially in a deal to get a player as good as Visnovsky back in return. 37 year old career backups with two years left on an overpriced contract are not easy to deal.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
Trading Roloson to any team would be very difficult. Especially in a deal to get a player as good as Visnovsky back in return. 37 year old career backups with two years left on an overpriced contract are not easy to deal.
Yep, we're stuck with Roli, as we are with Horcoff, Pisani, Moreau, etc.

Lowe's post-playoff orgy of ridiculous contracts will handcuff this team for years to come.

What's scary is it's becoming obvious that this team has a goaltending issue once again. Even if the Oilers perform a miracle and make the playoffs, Roloson's going to be running on fumes.

Roli is a shaky performer and we're going to need a legitimate goaltender next season. Unfortunately, that means we'll be up in the $8M range between the pipes.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Deadline deal #1:
J. Smith (2m) , S. Horcoff (3.6m), J. Markkanen (.85m)
to Buffalo for
D. Kalinin (1.75m), M. Biron UFA (~2.5m) and a mid round draft pick.
Savings of ~$2.2m

Reasoning: Buffalo fans are always questioning the grit of their defense. Horcoff gives them the a more affordable option since it seems inevitable that they will be losing Briere/Drury to UFA. Markkanen is a more affordable back up option. All 3 have fresh Stanley Cup experience and would all be great additions for Buffalo's cup run.

Why wont work
Biron heading towards UFA
Markenen to UFA

so it is Smith and Horcroff for Kalinin and that is overpayment

Kalinin is under-used in Buffalo and has alot of tools that Edmonton's toolbox is currently lacking. Biron is a cheaper, younger replacement for Roloson...

Deadline deal #2
D. Roloson (4m) and J. Lupul (~2m)
to LA for
L. Visnovsky (1.9) and C. Conroy (2.4)
Savings of $~1.7m

Reasoning: Goalie woes in LA? Roli will give them a steady force, and allow them to buy out Cloutier. Lupul seems to like the California sun, and his age and skill set would add to the already good young crop of forwards in LA.

Why it wont work
1)Conroy is an old fart and if it is rebuilding why trade for a 36 year old
2)LA has Dan Clouts signed, picked up Burke and still have another goalie and have two good prospects
3)Lupul for Visnovsky???.

Deadline deal #3
R. Smyth (~5m) and MA Bergeron (~1m)
to Nashville for
S. Weber (~1m)
Savings of ~5m

Reasoning: I'm not sure what Weber's value is, but I'd like to think they'd be willing to move him in a bidding war for R. Smyth, they'll be looking to make hay in the playoffs, and Smyth could put them over the top.

Why wont work

Bergereon for Weber?--No aint going to happen

Offseason Moves:
Sign L. Nagy LW (~3.5-4m) New and Improved Czech (Slovak) mate for Hemsky.--Nagy is not worth it
Sign M. Handzus C/LW (~3-3.5m) New and Improved Czech (Slovak) mate for Hemsky.Handzus will resign in chicago
Sign S. Hartnell LW/RW (~3-3.5m) The Smyth band-aid. Hartnell like Nashville
ADD: ~10.5M

NEW ROSTER:

Nagy-Handzus-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll (A)-Hartnell
Moreau (C)-Conroy-Pisani
depth/youngster-Reasoner-Schremp

Visnovsky-Kalinin
Smid-Staios (A)
Weber-Greene
Gilbert/Hedja

Biron
JDD

NEW PAYROLL:
Player Salary ESTIMATED (US) BALLPARK FIGURES, I CANT REMEMBER THE NEW DETAILS.

Ales Hemsky $4 million
Ladislav Nagy $4 million
Scott Hartnell $3.5 million
Micheal Handzus $3.5 million
Fernando Pisani $2.5 million
Martin Biron $2.5 million
Craig Conroy $2.4 million
Jarret Stoll $2.2 million
Ethan Moreau $2 million
Steve Staios $2 million
Lubomir Visnovksy $1.9 million
Dimitri Kalinin $1.75 million
Raffi Torres $1.5 million
Shea Weber $1 million
Ladislav Smid $984,200
Jan Hejda $942,400
Marty Reasoner $950,000
Marc-Antoine Pouliot $942,400
Rob Schremp $942,400
Jeff D. Deslaurias $900,000
Matt Greene $855,000
Alexei Mikhnov $600,000
Jean-Francois Jacques $600,000
Patrick Thoresen $551,000
Brad Winchester $500,000
TOTAL PAYROLL: ~39 MILLION

Conclusion: Wow, that sure was fun, 4-0 loss? what 4-0 loss? I never took the rebuilding mode, as much as it is a re-stocking mode. All the players we get are in, or about to enter the prime of their careers, with the exception of Conroy. No high price tag signings, means we keep a level pay scale and are able to keep the core together for a few years. My method does however make our backlog of prospects situation that much worse, so moving some of them might be a smart choice as well.

Flame away....like you weren't gonna anyways.

Have fun.
yeah

I had fun

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
goggog

Perosnally, I'm not all for trading Horcoff and I don't think any team would want Roli's or Horc's contracts. Second, Weber is VERY high value and we wouldn't get him Smyth and Bergeron. Last, even if Lowe trades Smyth, I think we would re-sign him anyways.

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I say the first thing ANY GM should do with this team before re-evaluating talent is fire the coaching staff. I have been a big time MacT supporter, even through the dozen or so other fire MacT threads that have popped up here over the years, but really! The guy is unwilling to make changes within his staff when it's obvious that our PP is NOT working and never has with the coaching thats in place now. Also, people keep *****ing about the D and breakouts and such, but it's painfully obvious that the Oilers have a system that every other team in the damn league has figured out how to break, and the coaches have STILL not made changes to address it.

So you can go ahead and change every bloody player on this roster, but if they are still being instructed to play the same way, they will struggle.

01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

U lost me at trading Smyth, and than couldn't find me when you didn't resign Smyth.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I would look and try to build around this

???? ????? Hemsky
Torres Stoll Pisani
Moreau Horcoff Lupul
Winchester Reasoner Stortini/Thoreson

???? ??????
Bergeron ?????
Smid Greene

That means we have Staios, Smith, Smyth, Pouliot, Gilbert as trading options.

I'd start of trading Smyth, Smith, 2nd to Ottawa for Volchenkov.
I would then trade Staios Gilbert Pouliot and a 1st to Flordia for Van Ryn and Olesz
Sign Brad Stuart and Hartnell

Hartnell Olesz Hemsky
Torres Stoll Pisani
Moreau Horcoff Lupul
Winchester Reasoner Stortini

Stuart Van Ryn
Bergeron Volchenkov
Smid Greene

Roloson
Jussi

That looks like a gritty set of forwards and has depth 1 through 9. I think Olesz would be a good guy to go after because his value is probally pretty low right now.

Looks like a team that could make some noise next year and then seriously contend the year after.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 07:07 PM
eastcoasteh

My lord, thank god you are not our GM. Smyth and Smith for Volchenkov?? Are you kidding me.

Relax folks. The All-Star break will be good for everyone to heal some injuries (mental and physical) and make the push for the 2nd half.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I say the first thing ANY GM should do with this team before re-evaluating talent is fire the coaching staff. I have been a big time MacT supporter, even through the dozen or so other fire MacT threads that have popped up here over the years, but really! The guy is unwilling to make changes within his staff when it's obvious that our PP is NOT working and never has with the coaching thats in place now. Also, people keep *****ing about the D and breakouts and such, but it's painfully obvious that the Oilers have a system that every other team in the damn league has figured out how to break, and the coaches have STILL not made changes to address it.

So you can go ahead and change every bloody player on this roster, but if they are still being instructed to play the same way, they will struggle.
I'd fire Simpson for sure.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
jiggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Yep, we're stuck with Roli, as we are with Horcoff, Pisani, Moreau, etc.

Lowe's post-playoff orgy of ridiculous contracts will handcuff this team for years to come.

What's scary is it's becoming obvious that this team has a goaltending issue once again. Even if the Oilers perform a miracle and make the playoffs, Roloson's going to be running on fumes.

Roli is a shaky performer and we're going to need a legitimate goaltender next season. Unfortunately, that means we'll be up in the $8M range between the pipes.

Yes, we clearly have goaltending issues, good call. The lack of defense has nothing to do with this right?

Since when is paying market value for our players a bad thing?

Give up on the trolling dude

jiggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Jamie

I'd be a little more conservative to our current roster than most as I still have faith, just need a couple dmen and we turn around completely;

First, I'll start with a big one, likely a fantasy only type deal, but it's what we need. Not some mid range vet;

J-Bo for Cogliano, MAP, Bergeron and a 1st round pick. Get it done?

Then, to fill out the defense, pick up someone like Brent Sopel; Tjarnqvist and a 2nd should get it done I'd imagine.

This leaves our current forward group alone, minus MAP who has got some shift work but hasn't been a regular by any means. We get two dmen, that we can throw onto the PP, both better than the guy leaving at that job (MAB). Defensivly I believe both guy's help out as well. I'd be excited if this was our team after deadline day.

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
Sykora-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Pisani
Thoreson-Reasoner-Winchester
PB: Peterson

Smith-J-Bo
Staios-Smid
Greene-Sopel
PB: Hejda

In: J-Bo, Sopel
Gone: Pouliot, Bergeron, Tjarnqvist, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

Sign Smyth to a long term extension.

Then in the offseason let Nedved walk, and our roster is pretty much self sufficient, although I'd try and sign Sykora to stick around for another year or two, and I do think $2.75 or so would do it. Otherwise maybe Samsonov or someone else like that?

Roster next season;

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Sykora-Reasoner-Pisani
Moreau-Thoreson-Winchester

Smith-J-Bo
Staios-Smid
Greene-Sopel

Or something like that....

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I'd be a little more conservative to our current roster than most as I still have faith, just need a couple dmen and we turn around completely;

First, I'll start with a big one, likely a fantasy only type deal, but it's what we need. Not some mid range vet;

J-Bo for Cogliano, MAP, Bergeron and a 1st round pick. Get it done?

Then, to fill out the defense, pick up someone like Brent Sopel; Tjarnqvist and a 2nd should get it done I'd imagine.

This leaves our current forward group alone, minus MAP who has got some shift work but hasn't been a regular by any means. We get two dmen, that we can throw onto the PP, both better than the guy leaving at that job (MAB). Defensivly I believe both guy's help out as well. I'd be excited if this was our team after deadline day.

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
Sykora-Nedved-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Pisani
Thoreson-Reasoner-Winchester

Smith-J-Bo
Staios-Smid
Greene-Sopel

In: J-Bo, Sopel
Gone: Pouliot, Bergeron, Tjarnqvist, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

Sign Smyth to a long term extension.

Then in the offseason let Nedved walk, and our roster is pretty much self sufficient, although I'd try and sign Sykora to stick around for another year or two, and I do think $2.75 or so would do it. Otherwise maybe Samsonov or someone else like that?

Roster next season;

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Sykora-Reasoner-Pisani
Moreau-Thoreson-Winchester

Smith-J-Bo
Staios-Smid
Greene-Sopel

Or something like that....
Havn't we already established several times that J-Bo doesn't want to play here?

Last edited by Bergeron47: 01-21-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
My lord, thank god you are not our GM. Smyth and Smith for Volchenkov?? Are you kidding me.

Relax folks. The All-Star break will be good for everyone to heal some injuries (mental and physical) and make the push for the 2nd half.
He said, Smyth, Smith, AND a 2nd for Volchenkov.....I think the Sens would need a 1st to make this deal fair

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I'm NEVER good at these but what the hell i'll give it a shot:

1. Trade for J.Blake out of NYI and compose a line of:

Smyth-Horcoff-Blake

2.) Trade Lupul+MAB+2nd for Zybnek Michalek + 5th (Or some young studly Defencemen)

3.) Trade Winchester + for Brewer.

Offence:

Smyth-Horcoff-Blake
Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Nedved-Reasoner-Pisani
Thoreson-Brodziak-Peterson
MAP

Defence:

Brewer-Smith
Hejda-Michalek
Smid-Staois
Roy

Roli
Juice

I dunno, i am never good at these, feel free to add and subtract away anything you guys dont like. Please dont flame me, like i said, im never good at these.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:46 PM
TheGreatone94

I don't think drastic changes are necessary. We have a few guys who are expendable that we can trade without hurting the team too much.

Trade Torres, Bergeron(or a D prospect), ANA 1st
for
a good 1-2 guy signed through next year (Zidlicky,Pitkanen,Visnovsky,)

Trade for a rental Top 4 D man (Brewer, Stuart, Miller, Sopel)
give up Winchester, picks, or other prospects.

Smyth-Horcoff-Lupul
Sykora-Nedved-Hemsky
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Stortini-Reasoner-Thor/Petersen

Smith-Visnovsky
Staios-Brewer/Stuart
Smid-Greene

We don't need drastic changes. We have the pieces, we just need a few more to put it all together. Torres doesn't bring enough to consider him untradable. He hits like a train, but thats only for 1 game out of 15. Moreau isnt too much of a downgrade from Torres. He brings it every shift and him Stoll and Fernie could create a good checking line that could put some pucks in. Until Moreau comes back, we could try out MAP or Mikhnov to play with Stoll and Fernie. Either one is fine to play with that line because Stoll/Fernie are responsible enough to cover up for them. This might also give a rookie the right amount of ice time and oppurtunity to produce and develop. Thoughts?

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Rin

Here is my 2cents...

Step 1: Fire an assistant coach, possibly Craig Simpson.

Step 2: Demote MacT. It's clear he isn't going to be fired, with that 4yr contract renewal he just signed. So once an assistant coach has been kicked out, MacT gets bumped down.

Step 3: Hire a coach that can coach this team. A coach that can light a fire up their *****, so to speak. Someone that can get our offense going, let our forwards be forwards and worry about the back of the oppositions net more than the back of our net.

Step 4: Last but certainly not least, the most obvious step...upgrade the backend. This will assist in the end of step 3, letting our forwards be forwards.

Step 5: Sit back and watch them win the cup.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post

At this point, Volchenkov would be our best dman. He is also young and probally cheap and is very effective.

I would rather have Volchenkov and Hartnell for about 5 million (not sure how much Volchkov makes) then Smith and Smyth for about 7.

If it would be easier then that to get Volchenkov then great, my plan would be even better. If not I can live with giving up a ufa, a veteran on the decline and a pick for a hard hitting shut down dman and save cap space in the process.

I am not comfortable trying to go for it this year. It is a sellers market this year for sure and we should take advantage of that. If we could do something like a 2nd for Brewer then fine. I however would not be happy if we trade Torres for a decent dman when it still wouldn't make us good enough to seriously contend.

I think any of you would have a hard time building a s good og a team this year as the team that I built for next year.

Old
01-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Here is my 2cents...

Step 1: Fire an assistant coach, possibly Craig Simpson.

Step 2: Demote MacT. It's clear he isn't going to be fired, with that 4yr contract renewal he just signed. So once an assistant coach has been kicked out, MacT gets bumped down.

Step 3: Hire a coach that can coach this team. A coach that can light a fire up their *****, so to speak. Someone that can get our offense going, let our forwards be forwards and worry about the back of the oppositions net more than the back of our net.

Step 4: Last but certainly not least, the most obvious step...upgrade the backend. This will assist in the end of step 3, letting our forwards be forwards.

Step 5: Sit back and watch them win the cup.
I agree with the coaching. MacT would be a good assistant because he is good at teaching skilled players how to block shots and play defense. However he struggles as a head coach because he doesn't really have a good system and can't seem to manage his goalies.

Old
01-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I agree with the coaching. MacT would be a good assistant because he is good at teaching skilled players how to block shots and play defense. However he struggles as a head coach because he doesn't really have a good system and can't seem to manage his goalies.
Ya, he does alot of things right...which is why i want to keep him. He worked wonders in the playoffs, but can't do **** during the regular season. He can not get those guys going. He is more of the brains in the operation, lineup matching, developing game plans for different teams (which he has done on occasion, just not often enough), and the small things that a smart coach does...he just can't seem to get the guys motivated. I'd like to see him as either an assistant coach or Head Coach B.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
1. Get some control over Roloson and make sure Jussi plays 1 out of every 4 games minimum down the stretch.

2. Get a defenseman. That should've been here months ago. Already. Pay the price. Offer up Schremp and a 1st. Offer up Lupul. Get it done. Stuart, Visnovsky, etc.

3. Throw a pick for a guy like Matvichuk who can play on the bottom pairing.

4. Pray like hell too much time wasn't wasted on Smid and Greene.

5. If this team is within 4 points of the division crown at the deadline, part with the necessary parts to bring in a Martin Gelinas type.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Havn't we already established several times that J-Bo doesn't want to play here?
Um... no. Not really. The rumour has been brought up, but no proof. And second of all, he's not an UFA, he has no say if we made a trade for him.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
jcoldwell

Here is my take

xxx - xxx - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Pouliot - Thoresen
Winchester - Reasoner - Mihknov

xxx - Smid
Staios - Greene
Gilbert - Roy

Roloson
JDD/DD

Gone are: Smyth, Smith, Horcoff, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Markkanen, Sykora, and Nedved

Smyth doesn't get traded as I couldn't get anything worth while in return, and let him walk come July 1st as an UFA as his demand of $5.5/yr for 4 yrs was too much.

Horcoff and Smith traded to Buffalo for Drew Stafford and a 4th rounder.

Tjarnqvist, Hejda and Nedved walk also as UFA's

Markkanen traded to Ottawa for a 5th rounder

Sykora traded to Detroit for Johan Ryno

July rolls around and I have to find a #1 center and LW along with the #1 dman we have been coveting since Chris Pronger left. So this is what I do....

Offer Brad Stuart a 5yr $27.5M contract ($5.5M/yr.)

Offer Scott Gomez a 4yr $24M contract ($6M/yr.)

Offer Darcy Tucker a 3yr $10.5M contract ($3.5M/yr.)

New lines for 07/08

Tucker - Gomez - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Pouliot - Thoresen
Winchester - Reasoner - Mihknov
PB: Peterson, Jacques

Stuart - Smid
Staios - Greene
Gilbert - Roy
PB: Syvret

Roloson
JDD/DD

As for the coaching staff...I would clean house and hire all new bodies that have no ties to Edmonton.

PP Coach: Mike Bossy
Goaltending Coach: Patrick Roy
Assistants: Cam Neely, Mike Gartner
Head Coach: Don Cherry

Last edited by jcoldwell: 01-22-2007 at 08:56 AM.
jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoldwell View Post
Smyth doesn't get traded as I couldn't get anything worth while in return, and let him walk come July 1st as an UFA as his demand of $5.5/yr for 4 yrs was too much.
I disagree with this.

Was this mentioned anywhere, conclusively? I haven't seen. Is there a link?

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:02 AM
jcoldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
I disagree with this.

Was this mentioned anywhere, conclusively? I haven't seen. Is there a link?
The title of the thread is "Arm Chair GM Time" Hence what I WOULD DO not Kevin Lowe.

So for me Ryan Smyth walks as I stated. "Smyth doesn't get traded as I couldn't get anything worth while in return, and let him walk come July 1st as an UFA as his demand of $5.5/yr for 4 yrs was too much."

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote