HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 more years for Utley

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
  #1
FlyersGuy69
Registered User
 
FlyersGuy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,840
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
7 more years for Utley

7 more years for Utley

Quote:
Posted on Sun, Jan. 21, 2007
By Todd Zolecki
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Phillies have signed second baseman Chase Utley to a seven-year, $85 million contract extension that will keep him with the Phillies through 2013.
with the baseball season around the corner, some good news. some pretty big money to lock him up but then again, he is the best 2nd baseman in baseball.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
  #2
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Good move on their part.

BTW, make sure next time you put "OT:" in front of the thread title.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:11 PM
  #3
Danko
...the way she goes
 
Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 420
Im not sure i like the fact that he is getting 15 million a year for his last seasons

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:11 PM
  #4
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500


At least one of the GM's in this town has a clue.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:11 PM
  #5
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,069
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
Im not sure i like the fact that he is getting 15 million a year for his last seasons
He'll still be in the prime of his career.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:10 PM
  #6
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Great signing. How long before Howard gets a long-term deal? Once he's locked up, I think the Phils might actually be in good hands for the first time in ages.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
  #7
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Great signing. How long before Howard gets a long-term deal? Once he's locked up, I think the Phils might actually be in good hands for the first time in ages.
Sounds like his is going to me much harder. Apparently, his agent, who is his father I belive, was asking for Soriano money.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
  #8
Abyss
GO BRUINS
 
Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
damnit, great player I woulda loved him on the Sox

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
  #9
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Sounds like his is going to me much harder. Apparently, his agent, who is his father I belive, was asking for Soriano money.
He puts together a couple more seasons like last year and he deserves that money more than Soriano.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
  #10
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
He puts together a couple more seasons like last year and he deserves that money more than Soriano.
I absolutely agree, but does he deserve it yet?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:26 AM
  #11
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
I love Chase Utley. He is the epitome of what a Philadelphia athlete should be. He endears himself to fans simply with his all-around offensive game and his sheer determination. He is quiet, unassuming, honest, and humble. There is a reason why Philadelphia loves him.

HOWEVER...

(note: typical upset Phillies fan comment forthcoming)

...that being said, his slight fizzle down the stretch last season worried me, as well as some pitchers keying onto his weaknesses (up and away, anyone?). He also had less walks and more strikeouts than he did in his previous season, and we saw a small dip in his slugging and OPS percentages. He has given us 2 (even 3, if you count his first season) exciting seasons and I feel a raise, a HUGE raise was warrented. However, I'm not sure if it came around the right time. I would have preferred to take him to arbitration, then after this upcoming season, if he continued his torrid pace, sign him long term.

To be fair about the situation, Soriano had ONE awesome year, and was rewarded with an absurd contract -- its what the current market dictates. While Utley is a very close second to my favorite player (Brett Myers, who is an absolute horse) and a raise was warranted, I'm just worried that, a la Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, etc etc -- it comes back to bite us in about 5 years.

Either way, kudos to Chase -- its well deserved. Just keep earning your paycheck, young fella. I pay good money (that I barely have) to see you play 15-20 games out of the year.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:35 AM
  #12
Gags1288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I love Chase Utley. He is the epitome of what a Philadelphia athlete should be. He endears himself to fans simply with his all-around offensive game and his sheer determination. He is quiet, unassuming, honest, and humble. There is a reason why Philadelphia loves him.

HOWEVER...

(note: typical upset Phillies fan comment forthcoming)

...that being said, his slight fizzle down the stretch last season worried me, as well as some pitchers keying onto his weaknesses (up and away, anyone?). He also had less walks and more strikeouts than he did in his previous season, and we saw a small dip in his slugging and OPS percentages. He has given us 2 (even 3, if you count his first season) exciting seasons and I feel a raise, a HUGE raise was warrented. However, I'm not sure if it came around the right time. I would have preferred to take him to arbitration, then after this upcoming season, if he continued his torrid pace, sign him long term.

To be fair about the situation, Soriano had ONE awesome year, and was rewarded with an absurd contract -- its what the current market dictates. While Utley is a very close second to my favorite player (Brett Myers, who is an absolute horse) and a raise was warranted, I'm just worried that, a la Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, etc etc -- it comes back to bite us in about 5 years.

Either way, kudos to Chase -- its well deserved. Just keep earning your paycheck, young fella. I pay good money (that I barely have) to see you play 15-20 games out of the year.
Chase is a great baseball player, but he is a bit streaky at times. He put together the 35 game hitting streak and then he was very tired, which hurt his stats tremendously in August. He bounced back though with a very nice September so I'm not sure what you're referring to as far as his play falling off down the stretch, he was very good in September.

I think part of the reason for the small decreases in SLG and OPS is because of having fewer days off and being very tired after that streak. That said, his BA was up, his HR's and doubles were up, his runs scored were up, hits up, etc...

He's easily the best 2nd baseman in baseball and it's not close. I'm thrilled to have him aboard for the next 7 years and hopefully Chase will always be a Phil.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:30 AM
  #13
Dykhuis26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I love Chase Utley. He is the epitome of what a Philadelphia athlete should be. He endears himself to fans simply with his all-around offensive game and his sheer determination. He is quiet, unassuming, honest, and humble. There is a reason why Philadelphia loves him.

HOWEVER...

(note: typical upset Phillies fan comment forthcoming)

...that being said, his slight fizzle down the stretch last season worried me, as well as some pitchers keying onto his weaknesses (up and away, anyone?). He also had less walks and more strikeouts than he did in his previous season, and we saw a small dip in his slugging and OPS percentages. He has given us 2 (even 3, if you count his first season) exciting seasons and I feel a raise, a HUGE raise was warrented. However, I'm not sure if it came around the right time. I would have preferred to take him to arbitration, then after this upcoming season, if he continued his torrid pace, sign him long term.

To be fair about the situation, Soriano had ONE awesome year, and was rewarded with an absurd contract -- its what the current market dictates. While Utley is a very close second to my favorite player (Brett Myers, who is an absolute horse) and a raise was warranted, I'm just worried that, a la Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, etc etc -- it comes back to bite us in about 5 years.

Either way, kudos to Chase -- its well deserved. Just keep earning your paycheck, young fella. I pay good money (that I barely have) to see you play 15-20 games out of the year.
See, this is the mindset of most Philly GMs, and that's why players bolt the first chance they get. Arbitration is an ugly procedure, with both sides airing out dirty laundry to an arbitrator who then decides the player's absolute worth. When you avoid it, you show faith in your player. If you nickel and dime him for three years in arbitration, what real motivation does he have to sign with you when he's due the big paycheck? And that's why we have to give Howard a big raise this year (not obscene, but definitely enough to show we care), and show him we care about our franchise player.
In either case, I'll take the gamble with Utley. He's got the sweet swing, plays 100% every game, and doesn't shy from the big moment. In 3 years, when salaries continue through the roof, this deal is going to be a huge bargain.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:22 AM
  #14
rockit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
it's funny that i barely know who he is. I follow the NHL, NFL & NBA pretty closely but when it comes to baseball i won't even watch the highlights. Maybe i'll give it more of a shot this year.

rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
  #15
Sean Ruck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I absolutely agree, but does he deserve it yet?
He absolutley does deserve it. Following the Abreu deal, Utley became the guy in the Phillies locker room. He sets the tone for the team. He will bust on players not getting it done, and he will never, EVER take a play off. He busts down the line on every groundout, he gives you 150% every day which is probably why he burned out a bit towards the end of the year. He is also quickly becoming the best 2nd baseman in baseball. So, does a .300 hitter who gives you a good glove, good speed, 25-30 homerun power, 100 runs, probably 200 hits (or just short of 200 hits) and over 100 RBI's a year deserve this deal? I'd say yes to that.

Sean Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
  #16
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
  #17
Blindsided
Registered User
 
Blindsided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: at the rink
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Yah! I <3 Chase Utley!!! Anyway, this was a smart move for the Phillies now hopefully they will resign Howard soon.

Blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
  #18
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I absolutely agree, but does he deserve it yet?
I think if Howard puts together another season like he did last year, he definitely does. Soriano really only had one outstanding year, but he also put together several other very solid seasons too and Howard is still younger, plus he is better defensively in my opinion.

Utley definitely deserved the contract and now I think Howard should get locked up next. That's why it kind of surprised me that Burrell wasn't traded to make room for two big contracts..then again, Howard is only entering his 3rd full season, so there is still time.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
  #19
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,213
vCash: 500
Howard's price just went up dramatically. As great of a player Utley is, Howard has won the ROY award and the MVP in his first two years. His contract is going to be a monster and it isn't a matter of him getting Soriano-type money, it's a matter of how much more is he going to make than Soriano.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
  #20
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post


At least one of the GM's in this town has a clue.
Remind me again how many championships the Phillies have won recently?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
  #21
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Remind me again how many championships the Phillies have won recently?

... and how many has gillick been there for?

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:57 PM
  #22
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Remind me again how many championships the Phillies have won recently?
Remind me again how long this GM has been there?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
  #23
Dykhuis26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Last year was his first year. Blaming him for the Phillies recent championship woes would be like blaming Holmgren icing this current version of the Flyers. Although Homer was around during Clarke's reign while Gillick was brought from the outside. So there's the long answer to a short question.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
  #24
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,069
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittyfreak31 View Post
Yah! I <3 Chase Utley!!! Anyway, this was a smart move for the Phillies now hopefully they will resign Howard soon.
I think he still has 2 more years at his $355K

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
  #25
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Ruck View Post
He absolutley does deserve it. Following the Abreu deal, Utley became the guy in the Phillies locker room. He sets the tone for the team. He will bust on players not getting it done, and he will never, EVER take a play off. He busts down the line on every groundout, he gives you 150% every day which is probably why he burned out a bit towards the end of the year. He is also quickly becoming the best 2nd baseman in baseball. So, does a .300 hitter who gives you a good glove, good speed, 25-30 homerun power, 100 runs, probably 200 hits (or just short of 200 hits) and over 100 RBI's a year deserve this deal? I'd say yes to that.
I was talking about Howard.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.