HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kapanen is the one UFA Holmgren will not try to Trade at the Deadline

Old
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Art Vandelay

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Kapanen is the one UFA Holmgren will not try to Trade at the Deadline

Sami Kapanen - playing well on the top line. Biggest news about him is he's said recently that he waants to come back next year and not retire. Paul Holmgren confirmed that, and admitted the Flyers would try to resign him to a multiple-year contract and that he would be the one unrestricted freee agent at the end of the season that the Flyers will not trade at the deadline.

http://v2.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=4947

http://www.delcotimes.com/site/news....id=18170&rfi=6

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I like the decision to retain the youth, and the character (Kapanen).

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
RoDu

He may not have the scorer's touch anymore, but he still gives 110% every night

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Nacho
Special

Well then, starting to believe more and more that Forsberg is going to play in the Garden. I really don't see what the big deal with Kapanen is...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:15 PM
jb**

baffling. you want to have kappenen back next yera fine. Sign him when he is a free agent. the goal is to make this team better and acquire assets. keeping him now you lose the chance to acquire a pick/prospect which is mind boggling. yes he gives 100%, yes he plays hurt and sets a good example but there are plenty players available each year like him

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I said this in another thread...

It's hilarious how Holmgren will sign a washed up role plaer to a multi-year deal, but he'll trade the UFAs that actually could have a future with this team (Calder, Forsberg).

This guy needs to get a grip on reality. I don't feel safe with him as our GM.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Good. He's worth more to us than we would get in a trade. If he wants to come back, he can stay.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:00 PM
jb**

how is he worth more to the losingest team in the NHL? because of the "intangibles" he brings? I dont think any of the young guys on this team even care how he plays, which is sad in its own right. Dont give me leadership either as you can clearly see this team is leaderless. Move him for an asset regardless of what it is as he will not be part when this team is in true contention again.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
how is he worth more to the losingest team in the NHL? because of the "intangibles" he brings? I dont think any of the young guys on this team even care how he plays, which is sad in its own right. Dont give me leadership either as you can clearly see this team is leaderless. Move him for an asset regardless of what it is as he will not be part when this team is in true contention again.
This team should be in contention next year and if they're not the front office needs to be removed.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:08 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This team should be in contention next year and if they're not the front office needs to be removed.
contention yes, I dont think a legit cup contender yet until we see what they do. The front office needs removal regardless. Kappy types are available all the time. he is ntto the diff between winning and losing. clean house and acquire assets that maybe you can use to acquire additional assets.

Old
01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
PhillyFlyers1796

I wouldnt mind sami coming back.

Kyle Calder needs to be resigned. The way he has been playing has been fantastic, and he shows a lot of chemistry with carter. Calder's lack of production early on may allow him to be signed at a cheaper price. A young winger that shows chemistry with our future #1 center and may be cheap...there is no reason not to sign him.

Idk what to do about forsberg...but trading him to the rangers would be shot in the heart to all flyers fans. A lot of teams want forsberg, and the rangers dont really have anything we need, there is no reason to trade him there...no reason at all.

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
contention yes, I dont think a legit cup contender yet until we see what they do. The front office needs removal regardless. Kappy types are available all the time. he is ntto the diff between winning and losing. clean house and acquire assets that maybe you can use to acquire additional assets.
Was Carolina a contender last October? No.

Old
01-21-2007, 03:08 PM
mikedifr

I mentioned this in another thread, but now that it has its own:

I would be fine with Kapanen coming back for next year, possibly one more after that depending on who is ready to make this team. I dont, however, want him taking a roster spot away from anyone who deserves it. The reason I think that it might be a good idea is because all of our young guys Ruzicka, Potulny, Giroux, etc. are all top 6 type players, or at worst the best offensive player on a third line to balance the attack. I dont think any of these guys fit in the bottom 5 players or on the 4th line and would be a waste there. Kapanen fits this role and could be the skilled guy on a 4th "shut down" line if we get a good center in here. He could be the short term solution until Downie, Cabana, etc. get a shot.

Gagne FA Knuble
Calder Carter Forsberg/FA
Sanderson Richards Potulny
Eager Umberger Kapanen
Fedoruk, Afanasenkov, Ruzicka

Future - Downie, Giroux, Nodl, Cabana, Bellamy, #1 pick this year.

Depending on what they do and who they resign, we could potentially have too many forwards. I think Potulny has earned a spot in this line up and is a waste on the 4th line. Fedoruk and Afanasenkov can play full time. I think Umberger is a waste on the 4th line too. Its a good problem to have, but a problen none the less.

I do agree that Calder should be resigned. Holmgren scares the **** out of me!!!!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
BringBackStevens

I think its time to explore moving umberger

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:13 PM
RoDu

The thing is, Hitch used Umberger as a winger, and played well with Carter. Stevens had Umberger in the AHL, and he was a center there, and Stevens has switched him back to center. His drop off in production may be attributed to that

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Was Carolina a contender last October? No.
that is not the norm and if the queen had balls she would be king. if you think by adding a several free agents they will be cup contenders fine, unless one of those acquisitions is a goalie and a new coach forget about it. this team is a mess. if these players play yht same way next year, you still think they will contend with f/a they add?

Old
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
i am dave

I have no problem with Kapanen coming back for another year or two. I have a problem with Paul Holmgren being the GM of this team after April.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
baffling. you want to have kappenen back next yera fine. Sign him when he is a free agent. the goal is to make this team better and acquire assets. keeping him now you lose the chance to acquire a pick/prospect which is mind boggling. yes he gives 100%, yes he plays hurt and sets a good example but there are plenty players available each year like him
what kind of pick/prospect do you expect for him? He is worth more to this team than any other because he wants to be here - why that is I have no idea...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
dalessam

Send a message via AIM to dalessam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
what kind of pick/prospect do you expect for him? He is worth more to this team than any other because he wants to be here
He gives his all every night. To me, it isn't about production. As odd as that sounds, to see a guy like him, who is playing on a last place team, and is still giving his all says something about his character. If Kapanen wants to be a Flyer come next year I'm all for it. Maybe guys like him are a 'dime a dozen' but to me, he is the Flyers right now. He's the only one who looks like he wants to be out there right now.

dalessam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjD0823 View Post
He gives his all every night. To me, it isn't about production. As odd as that sounds, to see a guy like him, who is playing on a last place team, and is still giving his all says something about his character. If Kapanen wants to be a Flyer come next year I'm all for it. Maybe guys like him are a 'dime a dozen' but to me, he is the Flyers right now. He's the only one who looks like he wants to be out there right now.
Actually, he is one guy I would like to see retire as a Flyer. As long as he is on the "4th" line and not taking ice time away from a younger player, I am fine with him being here.

Thing is, I saw Afanasenkov as kinda the replacement for Kapanen. It is looking more and more like Afanasenkov probably wont have a place on this team next year. Not a huge loss obviously, but I wanted to see him given a chance.

Old
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Kaktus*

multi year deal? Well I hope it won't be for a big $...

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
multi year deal? Well I hope it won't be for a big $...
I am guessing they only mean 2 years. Anything more then that would be beyond stupid.

Old
01-22-2007, 08:32 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
what kind of pick/prospect do you expect for him? He is worth more to this team than any other because he wants to be here - why that is I have no idea...
He is nto worht more as they sit in last place. Doesnít matter, this team needs to acquire assets. Even if it is a 4th rd pick. Maybe you use that pick with another player/pick to move up or acquire decent prospect or player. Kappenen makes no difference on this team. Obviously the way he plays hasnít rubbed off on the other players, which is a whole diff story, so why not trade him? He wants to return next year as a free agent fine for a 4th line role. But to not trade him is bad asset management, plain and simple.

Old
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am guessing they only mean 2 years. Anything more then that would be beyond stupid.
I'm sure that's all it will be for, and he will sign cheaply.

He should definatly be re-signed. There is an alful lot of dead weight this team has to drop, but Kapanen isn't one of them.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Hammerwise

As one poster pointed out: he's got more value to PHILLY than he would have in trade value.

Hes a great veteran to have around and for a last place club, he is instrumental with his leadership and effort.

PHI has a lot of youth and need some veterans to help them along, 3rd/4th line and extra next year of:

Umberger-Richards-Downie
Fedoruk-Potulny-Kapanen
Eager

doesn't look too bad, compared to the mismash they've had this year...

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote