HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodziak Had Better Get A Call From Edmonton And SOON!!!

Old
01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
So he's going to average 1 ppg in the NHL after not being able to do it in the AHL?

Does this only baffle me?
Maybe they're arguing the "if he plays with better players" opinion. That said, it works both ways, and if he can't get his shot off in the AHL, then NHL defences will pressure him to the max and then get break-aways and odd-man rushes galore if every one of his passes aren't tape to tape and gets by the PKers in the passing lanes. At this point the only way that he plays in the NHL this year is with another team, if our team stinks or has a few meaningless games at the end of the year, or lastly if he finally starts doing what people like myself believe that he could do if he gets his game and head in gear.

01-23-2007, 10:11 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Petersen, love him or hate him, played a whole ahl season last year at the level Kyle has just reached this season. To say that Kyle's likely to be as good or better than Toby at the nhl level this year is pure idle speculation.
The difference is that Peterson's probably not going to get much better. Brodziak almost certainly still has untapped upside, and since there is no appreciable difference between the two, it seems wiser to try to unlock it at the level we eventually want him to play well at.

Frankly, the continued inclusion of Peterson in the lineup puzzles me. He is adequate, and that's it. In fact he's so adequate, he's adequite. Being invisible is fine for referees and defensemen. It's not an especially desirable quality in a forward.

Last edited by callighenfan: 01-23-2007 at 10:17 PM.
callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by callighenfan View Post
The difference is that Peterson's probably not going to get much better. Brodziak almost certainly still has untapped upside, and since there is no appreciable difference between the two, it seems wiser to try to unlock it at the level we eventually want him to play well at.

Frankly, the continued inclusion of Peterson in the lineup puzzles me. He is adequate, and that's it. In fact he's so adequate, he's adequite. Being invisible is fine for referees and defensemen. It's not an especially desirable quality in a forward.
I agree with you about the potential upside, I just don't see it as critical that the Oilers use Brodziak in Petersens's place right now.

I agree with anyone who says that Brodziak is playing well enough to deserve a call-up, but then so was Petersen when he finally got his. And Petersen apparently hasn't earned a demotion yet.

I think the Oilers are better served getting Kyle boatloads of icetime in key situations in the ahl than if they bring him up and pb him for a few games, play him for a few mins in a few games and then send him back down cold.

Does MAP start getting all his minutes when he's up here? Some other Pens prospect? And then does Kyle win them back right away or just before season's end? All I know is that right now KB's star is on the rise and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As for the fate of this year's Oilers, I don't think that putting KB in for Toby is going to put them over the top.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:07 AM
t0mf00lery

I don't see the harm in letting the guy finish the year on the farm. We've had enough call-ups as it is. Unless we have an awful slew of injuries @ centre, I say we leave Brodziak in WB-S to finish the season.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Hemsky4PM

Brodziak will probably remain in WBS unless something dramatic happens injurywise. I'm sure MacT would rather insert Toby at center (or Sykora) than bring in Brodziak. I hope he comes to camp with some gusto next season though. The competition for spots should be pretty intense next season, especially if the Oilers make big changes.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I'd rather give him a shot than force feeding Petersen ice time.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote