HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Sakic: I'd like to do something with the organization

Old
01-22-2007, 12:13 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Sakic: I'd like to do something with the organization

Don't be alarmed; this isn't talk of imminent retirement. Channel 9 showed a nice, sit-down interview with Sakic after tonight's local news. At the tail end of it, one of the questions posed to him was about what he pictures himself doing after he eventually does hang 'em up. Sakic said that he would like to do something with the organization--whatever they'd want him to do. He did indicate that he'd prefer not to travel too much (especially right away... I imagine because he'll still have fairly young children at that point). Anyway, it was good to hear him talking about staying with the organization even after his career is over. Kind of reinforces the idea that he's more likely now to remain in Colorado as his permanent home (I think he mentioned something to this effect not that long ago also).

Incidentally, afer the Sakic part of the program, they had a feature with Lappy, Liles, and Wolski bowling. Pretty funny stuff. First impression: If Liles is bowling, that has to be a good sign. Second impression: Wolski might be the best bowler on the team. Third impression: Lappy stinks at bowling... but he's just as fun there as he is on the ice (and in locker room interviews).

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
rozier24

vCash: 545
Send a message via MSN to rozier24
Good to here Joe is not going anywhere.

He deserves a place in this organization as long as he wants it.

rozier24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:24 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
As Jori pointed out on HDNET after the Red Wings/Avs games, Lappy had quite possibly the best quote of his entire career when asked what he's doing for the break...

"Still waiting for the call to go to Dallas"....just kills me!

01-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Horsehouse

NEW HEAD SCOUT COMING!!!

sounds hilarious about the bowling. Strikeski!

Horsehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

So he'll be back after he takes the league minimum to sign with Vancouver?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

"Still waiting for the call to go to Dallas"....just kills me!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:26 AM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
So he'll be back after he takes the league minimum to sign with Vancouver?
You're forgetting his trade to Calgary to play with his long lost brother, Iginla.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
KL*

If it ends up that he remains in Colorado until his career is over with, then so be it. We won't win anything until he's gone, but I can wait.

Just as long as he's not talking about getting into coaching when he's done. The last thing we need is a guy like Sakic coaching our team. Jeez, I thought Quenneville was bad. Imagine Quenneville with absolutely ZERO fire...

KL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 02:44 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCThrash View Post
If it ends up that he remains in Colorado until his career is over with, then so be it. We won't win anything until he's gone, but I can wait.

Just as long as he's not talking about getting into coaching when he's done. The last thing we need is a guy like Sakic coaching our team. Jeez, I thought Quenneville was bad. Imagine Quenneville with absolutely ZERO fire...
Jeez...

Anywho, I don't know what Joe could do after he retires, probably take a developmental position, ala Konowalchuk, and then move up the chain.

The pattern for most players-turned-coaches (at least in other sports) is that good players don't necessarily make good coaches, it's usually the average player that makes a damn good coach.

Last edited by RockLobster: 01-22-2007 at 03:03 AM.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:35 AM
motojime

Quote:

This isn't nice at all.

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:

It's not really nice for Joe , what do you have against him ?? All the journalists ( denver,Quebec ) will tell you that Joe , not only will go on in history as one of the best hockey player but allso as a great person. the Nordiques are gone since 1995 and sometime they still talking about Joe , saying how great he is on and off the ice.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Give it a rest already. You don't need to spew anti-Sakic garbage in every thread where his name is mentioned. We know you don't like him. I, for one, no longer care whether you do or not.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Don't be alarmed; this isn't talk of imminent retirement. Channel 9 showed a nice, sit-down interview with Sakic after tonight's local news. At the tail end of it, one of the questions posed to him was about what he pictures himself doing after he eventually does hang 'em up. Sakic said that he would like to do something with the organization--whatever they'd want him to do. He did indicate that he'd prefer not to travel too much (especially right away... I imagine because he'll still have fairly young children at that point). Anyway, it was good to hear him talking about staying with the organization even after his career is over. Kind of reinforces the idea that he's more likely now to remain in Colorado as his permanent home (I think he mentioned something to this effect not that long ago also).

Incidentally, afer the Sakic part of the program, they had a feature with Lappy, Liles, and Wolski bowling. Pretty funny stuff. First impression: If Liles is bowling, that has to be a good sign. Second impression: Wolski might be the best bowler on the team. Third impression: Lappy stinks at bowling... but he's just as fun there as he is on the ice (and in locker room interviews).

Giving back to an organization, wanting to give back to hockey, showing loyalty, understanding the significance of spending 2 decades with one franchise...

Clearly this guy has no idea what leadership is all about.

If I'm Kyle Cumiskey, and I hear about this I am just disgusted. To think, all this time I could have been following someone who intimidates me in the lockerroom. No, instead I'm wasting my time looking up to this guy who thinks an athlete's actions transcend the game. Ridiculous. Give back to the team? Who cares? I want to be showered with verbal abuse in a closed door meeting. Displaying loyalty? Old news, Joey, haven't you heard, UFA is at 25. I'm loyal to whoever signs my cheques.

Kyle Cumiskey must feel so ripped off.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:37 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:

I guess the Stanley twins and all those division titles don't exist then?

Seriously, what is with these new "Avs" fans? Are you all really Detroit and Vancouver fans? No...even Det and Van fans like Joe so that can't be it.

Is there some new code for joining the Avs forum? Go off topic every chance you get to bash an Avalanche player? I seriously can't wait until we have 20+ of you guys, I'm wondering who's next though.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post
NEW HEAD SCOUT COMING!!!

sounds hilarious about the bowling. Strikeski!
Bowlski

Old
01-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent of the Cleric View Post
I guess the Stanley twins and all those division titles don't exist then?

Seriously, what is with these new "Avs" fans? Are you all really Detroit and Vancouver fans? No...even Det and Van fans like Joe so that can't be it.

Is there some new code for joining the Avs forum? Go off topic every chance you get to bash an Avalanche player? I seriously can't wait until we have 20+ of you guys, I'm wondering who's next though.
Judging by the name -- SCThrash -- I'd surmise he's a Thrasher fan.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Mules
Hugging cap floor

I dont' want to start a new thread, but how much do you think Sakic will sign this off season?

I don't think we can ask him to get a paycut anymore.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
ABasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Jeez...

Anywho, I don't know what Joe could do after he retires, probably take a developmental position, ala Konowalchuk, and then move up the chain.

The pattern for most players-turned-coaches (at least in other sports) is that good players don't necessarily make good coaches, it's usually the average player that makes a damn good coach.
That's an interesting observation. I'm trying to think of a great player who became a great coact - can't think of one offhand, but I'm guessing there are a few out there. Gretzky's not looking like one. Trottier wasn't very good. Robinson couldn't stay in place. Hmmm....

But 'staying with the organization' can mean many things - it doesn't necessarily mean 'coach'.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
ABasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Judging by the name -- SCThrash -- I'd surmise he's a Thrasher fan.
I think SC is a fan of several teams, but I can assure you he has been an ardent Avs fan for a long time.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
That's an interesting observation. I'm trying to think of a great player who became a great coact - can't think of one offhand, but I'm guessing there are a few out there. Gretzky's not looking like one. Trottier wasn't very good. Robinson couldn't stay in place. Hmmm....

But 'staying with the organization' can mean many things - it doesn't necessarily mean 'coach'.

-AB
A while back, Dr. No made an interesting analysis about goalie coaches, where usually the goalies turned coaches who weren't quite as talented ended up being better coaches. This was a result of them being forced to work harder on fundamentals, and therefore they were better at offering guidance of the very same fundamentals for the younger goaltenders they coached. On the other hand, the better goaltenders who had immense amounts of natural talent would have a harder time identifying and communicating with goalies they coached who were seemingly not on the same talent plane.

The analysis makes logical sense, and I'd say that it is just as applicable for regular coaches as well.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:

We won't win anything until he's gone?????? It's not nice to trash good players and good people for no reason at all.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
In fact, I think he indicated--around the same part of the interview where he talked about not wanting to travel too much (at least at first)--that he didn't think coaching was what he wanted to do. I didn't record it, so I can't go back and look, and I don't think they archive these anywhere. Wish I could remember more.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
A while back, Dr. No made an interesting analysis about goalie coaches, where usually the goalies turned coaches who weren't quite as talented ended up being better coaches. This was a result of them being forced to work harder on fundamentals, and therefore they were better at offering guidance of the very same fundamentals for the younger goaltenders they coached. On the other hand, the better goaltenders who had immense amounts of natural talent would have a harder time identifying and communicating with goalies they coached who were seemingly not on the same talent plane.

The analysis makes logical sense, and I'd say that it is just as applicable for regular coaches as well.
It's effectively the same in all aspects of teaching.

Typically, worse students make better teachers (within reason).
The genius's out there (lets call them profs) (again typically), stuck teaching unversity students so the school fund their research are 'often' awful teachers.
From personal experience..... Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
Giving back to an organization, wanting to give back to hockey, showing loyalty, understanding the significance of spending 2 decades with one franchise...

Clearly this guy has no idea what leadership is all about.
All of the above attributes are commendable. None of them have anything to do with leadership.

Old
01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent of the Cleric View Post
Is there some new code for joining the Avs forum? Go off topic every chance you get to bash an Avalanche player?
Off topic? Huh? The thread IS ABOUT SAKIC.

It's not about bashing an Avs player, and I am not even bashing Sakic. I love him as a player. He's just not a good leader and I don't want him taking a critical role with the team where leadership is needed. Especially coach, the position within the organization where the ability to motivate (Joe's weakest area) is the most important.

To say that I am bashing Sakic because I don't want him to coach is like saying that I am bashing Hejduk because I don't want him to play the enforcer role for the Avs. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and the last thing I want to see my team do is hire someone for a role they are not suited for. Especially a role that is so important.