HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If only Kovalev took more shots on goal

Old
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
yoteshot

vCash: 500
If only Kovalev took more shots on goal

First: THIS IS NOT A KOVALEV BASHING THREAD.

Just look at my nickname, he is my favourite Habs' player. I realized that last year he took way more shots on goal and look here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GuOnPqxe0mQ

Just look at how many chances/goals he creates when he shoots the puck, usually from the faceoff circle at the left of the goalie. Is it me or he isn't doing his little deke (going to the blue line and turn sharply to the circle) this year? I like how Kovalev has been playing his last 2 games but do you agree with me that last year, everytime he had the puck in his area, we knew something would happen and would almost stand from our seat...

Well, I hope he starts doing it in the second part of the season to give us one real GAMEBREAKER

PS-Wow, what a game versus Ottawa in the last part of the video.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

I've noticed ( by no means am i a proffessional shooter or coach) that he tends to try and guide his wristers and slapshots lately..Anyone else notice this?

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Evil Ted

Hes got probably one of the lowest shooting percentages on the team, he just needs to convert on his shots more often. He looks for the perfect shot also all the time, often going top corner and missing the net or hitting the post.

He shoots the puck when he should though usually which is good, too often players try to score on shots from bad angles that imo is a waste of a shot.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Mike McPhee

The announcers mentioned on CBC last night that Carbo said he wants Kovalev to shoot more. Not sure where they got that from, but it seems the coach agrees with you... Also, I think he has been shooting more in the past few games, which is good.

Mike McPhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptK View Post
The announcers mentioned on CBC last night that Carbo said he wants Kovalev to shoot more. Not sure where they got that from, but it seems the coach agrees with you... Also, I think he has been shooting more in the past few games, which is good.
I think he's shooting more, but it's not his first instinct. He's looking for the pass, then shooting. So his shots are usually low percentage plays (hence his low shooting percentage) because the goaltender is in position.
He's just not a natural goalscorer.. but he can create so much room on the ice..

01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior View Post
First: THIS IS NOT A KOVALEV BASHING THREAD.

Just look at my nickname, he is my favourite Habs' player. I realized that last year he took way more shots on goal and look here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GuOnPqxe0mQ

Just look at how many chances/goals he creates when he shoots the puck, usually from the faceoff circle at the left of the goalie. Is it me or he isn't doing his little deke (going to the blue line and turn sharply to the circle) this year? I like how Kovalev has been playing his last 2 games but do you agree with me that last year, everytime he had the puck in his area, we knew something would happen and would almost stand from our seat...

Well, I hope he starts doing it in the second part of the season to give us one real GAMEBREAKER

PS-Wow, what a game versus Ottawa in the last part of the video.
By the way, I don't know why you used the letter "D" in russian in your avatar to write the "A" of Kovalev but it makes no sense.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:23 PM
impudent_lowlife

the only things kovalev needs is a heart transplant.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
What I have noticed is that in the past two games when he carries the puck over the blue line he has started to cut back towards the middle of the ice rather than going towards the boards. This is usually how I tell how involved Kovalev is in a game. This usually does one of three things. 1. Allows Kovalev to get off a shot from a good angle. 2. Opens up a great passing lane or 3. Forces a defender to hook or hold onto Kovalev drawing a Habs Power play.

I know that sometimes going towards the boards is the only option but when he gets the chance he should always be looking to get into a shooting position.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 03:44 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
the only things kovalev needs is a heart transplant.
Good job at making a very tasteless joke; Kovalev had some heart defficience when he was younger and the doctors told him he could never play hockey again and he got through it.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Good job at making a very tasteless joke; Kovalev had some heart defficience when he was younger and the doctors told him he could never play hockey again and he got through it.
lol, you took that way too far

all he meant was more heart on the ice

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
lol, you took that way too far

all he meant was more heart on the ice
I know but I thought my comment would make people read my comments a lot more often due to my great hockey awareness; like RDS trying to make a scandal out of that story with the Senators and the boat.

Old
01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
I know but I thought my comment would make people read my comments a lot more often due to my great hockey awareness; like RDS trying to make a scandal out of that story with the Senators and the boat.
i see, good try, but nobody cares about kovalev here

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:29 PM
yoteshot

Quote:
By the way, I don't know why you used the letter "D" in russian in your avatar to write the "A" of Kovalev but it makes no sense.
I took a Russian font and when i pressed A it wrote that... and btw, it looks like an A so...

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

I think he has alot of heart..U see him out there killing penaltys don't ya?

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior View Post
I took a Russian font and when i pressed A it wrote that... and btw, it looks like an A so...
Hehe maybe it's because of the keyboard layout, also, V in Russian is B and L is something that looks like the greek letter "Pi", but I'm not Russian by the way.

Old
01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I would kill to have Kovalev take 9 shots on goal every night. But it seems to be more and more obvious to me that Kovalev doesn't really like to score, despite the fact that it's his best skill. He'd rather look for a pass and set someone else up.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I remember latendresse saying that he has no idea what kovy is going to do so he just goes to the net.

If thats the case, you might as well have kovy shoot from everywhere if the oppurtunity arises.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 09:29 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
A little over-sensitive, eh? BTW, I wish Lance Armstrong had the balls to come clean about his doping... Oooops, how insensitive of me!

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:57 AM

It's no coincidence that Kovalev's best years in the NHL coincided with him getting over 250 shots a year.

The year Kovalev had 95pts, he had 307 shots on goal
The year Kovalev had 77pts, he had 271 shots on goal
The year Kovalev had 76pts, he had 266 shots on goal

Those were Kovalev's best 3 years in the NHL, let's compare that to...

The year Kovalev had 45pts, he had 207 shots on goal
The year Kovalev had 65pts, he had 206 shots on goal

This year, Kovalev is on pace for 58pts and 217 shots on goal.

I remember in years past when playing against Kovalev, he would shoot from anywhere on the ice and even if he didn't score, alot of times his heavy shot would create rebounds for more scoring opportunities (kind of like how Souray gets all his assists) It's not rocket science, Carbonneau wants Kovalev to shoot more and that's the reason why.

Same goes for Ryder, he's on pace for 25 goals but not even 200 shots...

Kovalev & Ryder are our most proven goal scorers, they have to find ways to shoot and shoot often, both of them should average at least 3 to 4 shots per game with the kind of shots they have

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Maxpac

I agree that Kovy should start shooting alot more lately, especially since he has powerforward ready to burry his rebounds now, instead of Samsonov wating behind the net for a pass

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
I agree that Kovy should start shooting alot more lately, especially since he has powerforward ready to burry his rebounds now, instead of Samsonov wating behind the net for a pass
No wonder the Habs are having trouble scoring 5 on 5, the player who leads this team in shots on goal is a defensman (Souray with 138).

That's ridiculous IMO, and it means the team too often looks for the perfect play to score 5 on 5, that's fine if you're on the PP, but at 5 on 5 you're going to struggle.

It's ridiculous to think that Ovechkin is on pace to actually double anyone on our team in shots on goal

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
No wonder the Habs are having trouble scoring 5 on 5, the player who leads this team in shots on goal is a defensman (Souray with 138).

That's ridiculous IMO, and it means the team too often looks for the perfect play to score 5 on 5, that's fine if you're on the PP, but at 5 on 5 you're going to struggle.

It's ridiculous to think that Ovechkin is on pace to actually double anyone on our team in shots on goal
yes but even so, Can we even count Sammy and Kovy's 50 feet slapshots as a real shot, they both know there's no chance in h*ll it'l go in... Now Kovy actually has a screen and someone who can work his way through traffic to try to burrie any rebound that pops out, i know that it was a lucky goal saturday, but honestly, who was the last player that would waited in the center like Latendresse of the ice instead of along the boards, like Ryder or Samsonov..., probably Brian Savage to say the thruth.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:45 AM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

I wouldn't say we're looking for the perfect play, but we'd rather go behind the net than in front of it. Our perimeter play is absolutely ridiculous.

One subtle change I wouldn't mind seeing is moving Ryder to LW to get a better shooting angle, and get quicker passes from Koivu for a quick release.

Kovalev does need to shoot the puck more. He's got a great shot, quick release... tough to handle without a rebound. It's been by far my #1 pet peeve with him as a Hab that he doesn't shoot more. And to be honest, I don't think most of the other criticism lobbed his way is really warranted.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
yes but even so, Can we even count Sammy and Kovy's 50 feet slapshots as a real shot, they both know there's no chance in h*ll it'l go in...
That's not entirely true. If Sammy fires a shot from distance, I wouldn't expect it to do much if any damage, but Kovalev has the ability and the shot to beat a goalie from further out. Off the top of my head, last season he scored from the point against the Islanders, beat Kiprusoff (i think) from a step inside the blue line, beat Cam Ward from the left wing in the playoffs and scored a similar goal in the Olympics. I can recall him scoring goals from inside the blue line with the Pens as well. It shouldn't be expected that he will score from there, but make no mistake that he has the ability to and has done so in the past. When he wants to, he can wire a shot better than the majority of players on the Habs. If Carbo can get him to shoot more instead of picking the corners, I can only imagine that helping the team. As you said, with Latendresse going to the net, he could benefit from a more trigger happy Kovalev.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote