HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Moving up age groups

Old
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Moving up age groups

Okay

I babysit a little boy who will be turning 5 in June. He plays Timbits hockey and now got moved up to the "novice" (which is 7-8 year old players)

He's a great little player and scores tonnes of goals in Novice. He's played 10 games with the novice team and has 13 goals and 7 assists and 10 PIM. He has been approached to be APed (Afiliated player) with an Atom Team. These kids would be 9-10 years old.

I coach another sport and I have no problem moving my kids up. I have an 11 year old who is attending world juniors as an underager. The lowest age category is 15-16 years old. My other two athletes are also underaged.

BUT this isn't a contact sport. As much as his mom, dad and I think that he probably COULD play in the Atom level, he's ONLY four. The coach is being very persistant and calling the house and talking to the child.

Because he's four, all he knows is that he gets to play more hockey.

How do you tell a four year old he can't paly for the other team?

01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
frito

Unless he is so heads above the rest that he is bored I would be reluctant to move him up to 9-10 year olds. My daughter began skating shortly before her 4th birthday and began learn to play hockey when she was four. When she was five going on six I was called by the girls commissioner for our organization asking if she'd be interested in playing on the girls U10 team. This team actually played in the boys mite house (7-8 year olds) league.

I was very reluctant to do so but they convinced me to sign her up for it and she thought it would be fun to play with the girls. All I can say is it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Her highlight of the season came with just a few left in the season when she actually got her stick on the puck in a game and moved it about three feet. She came to the bench all excited "Coach Jess (her coach at the time)! Coach Jess, did you see that!?! I moved the puck about three feet." Her skills actually went backwards that season and it took a while for her to get back to where she was.

You mention he's playing up already. Is that on a house team or is it on a travel team? If it's house and he's that good he could always go out for a travel team or double roster on a house and a house select team.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Unless he is so heads above the rest that he is bored I would be reluctant to move him up to 9-10 year olds. My daughter began skating shortly before her 4th birthday and began learn to play hockey when she was four. When she was five going on six I was called by the girls commissioner for our organization asking if she'd be interested in playing on the girls U10 team. This team actually played in the boys mite house (7-8 year olds) league.

I was very reluctant to do so but they convinced me to sign her up for it and she thought it would be fun to play with the girls. All I can say is it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Her highlight of the season came with just a few left in the season when she actually got her stick on the puck in a game and moved it about three feet. She came to the bench all excited "Coach Jess (her coach at the time)! Coach Jess, did you see that!?! I moved the puck about three feet." Her skills actually went backwards that season and it took a while for her to get back to where she was.

You mention he's playing up already. Is that on a house team or is it on a travel team? If it's house and he's that good he could always go out for a travel team or double roster on a house and a house select team.
He's on the houseleague teams. He's heads above the Timbits players. When I take him to his games he has a rule with his coach. Once he gets 3 goals he has to set up the other players unless they're behind.

He'll literally stand along the half boards and stick handle until he can set his teammates up.

In the Novice level he doesn't look out of place. He's small, but he has really good skills and speed.

His mom plays in women's teir one. His dad played Jr A. His Uncle played in the WHL. They're all gifted athletes and so is this little guy. We just dont want him to get injured or,as you said, have his skills decrease.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Wooty

I don't understand your post or something and I am not trying to be rude or smart-aleck but...
You tell a child no by saying No.

The child is 4, you say no. You can try to explain but you really don't have to.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Happy Pony

I say let him play up, it will help him to play against bigger stronger faster competition.

If you are that worried about him getting hurt then just say no, like pkd said, you are the adults, use the power.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 02:23 AM
Twist and Shout

See how he does in a few practices with the team.

If he can keep up and actually show his skills playing against kids 5-6 years older than he is, nothing wrong with it. It's non-contact hockey too so there shouldn't be any problem.

My friend's five year old brother is an exceptional player and plays on a team with 8-9 year olds. He was leading the team in scoring last time I spoke to my buddy.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:30 AM
BCCHL inactive

If the decision ends up being to move the kid up, make damn sure you have permission and documentation from the necessary authorities (local MHA, and provincial branch if need be). Minor hockey is very anal about documentation.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
MikeD

I can see a player going up one age bracket. Going up a second? Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt checking begin at at oldest bracket, there in the great white north? To put a child up there would be a serious risk to his safety. In addition, confidence and enjoyment are an easy thing to ruin. Its great for a child to be at the top of their class. To put him in a position where it would be a constant struggle would be harmful at this young age(imho). Additionally, there is no way he will truely gel with the oldest group team. HE will be looked at as more of a MASCOT than a bonified contributing member.

Our local association will not allow players to move up outside their age bracket. While it seems restictive, I thinks it best for the individual player development.
The situation seems to call for a compromise. Allowing the little guy to play up one bracket is as far as should be allowed(IMO)

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote