HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Shanahan now!

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2007, 08:27 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Trade Shanahan now!

I know it sounds dramatic, but let's face it, the signing didn't work out the way it was foreseen initially. It wasn't Shanny's fault, he is a marvelous player and great individual, But certain thing beyond Brandon's control failed and as a result we have a huge player that has hardly any future with this team. You either build the team around guy like that or let others to do it. To me he is Messier caliber guy. And we all know what happens to rebuild in the situation when great player preclude youngsters from taking over the team.
We can get alot for an AllStar player. Thoughts?

Old
01-24-2007, 08:28 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I know it sounds dramatic, but let's face it, the signing didn't work out the way it was foreseen initially. It wasn't Shanny's fault, he is a marvelous player and great individual, But certain thing beyond Brandon's control failed and as a result we have a huge player that has hardly any future with this team. You either build the team around guy like that or let others to do it. To me he is Messier caliber guy. And we all know what happens to rebuild in the situation when great player preclude youngsters from taking over the team.
We can get alot for an AllStar player. Thoughts?
the fact that you called him "brandon" says it all.

Old
01-24-2007, 08:35 AM
dank

his rant's are on par with jorts trade proposals. i open the threads because i have 1) nothing to do and 2) i'm a masochist.

Old
01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
92hatchattack

Speakign of trades, have anyone heard the rumors that the Rangers are goin to make a MAJOR announcement today????

Old
01-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Aucoin3

The Islanders would be happy to take Shanahan off your hands. Especially since he has been your best player this season.

Old
01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
the fact that you called him "brandon" says it all.
HA! That's funny.

Actually I don't usually agree with this guy, but this time he has a point. Realistically you can't trade him because he came here on his own volition for a reason, and it may hinder future free-agent signings if you trade him halfway through the year. It's just not done, at least not without consent.

Having said that, there really is no place for Brendan Shanahan on this team. The Edmonton Genius is completely incapable of providing the team with a center who can feed him the puck, nicely pointed out on national TV by Brett Hull.

Obviously he was brought here to help teach the players how to win, but who is learning anything valuable from Shanahan? Jagr? Nylander? Straka? No and no and no. If anything Jagr has regressed since Shanahan got here. Hall? Cullen? Betts? Hossa? Ward? I don't think so. The young guys? Wait, do we still have young guys? I forget. Prucha? You can make the argument that Shanahan's arrival was the beginning of Prucha's trip down the depth chart. The defensemen? They've proven they're not learning anything on this team.

The only one with leadership capabilities that you think could get inspired by and learn from Shanahan is Lundqvist, and that certainly hasn't shown in his play.

When the Devils pick up a guy like Shanahan he always seems to lead them to something good. Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk, and so on. For us he's just another body who has some great nights like the Cap game, that you think is going to be a turning point for a franchise, but then we never see them build off a game like that.

Mostly, Shanahan should be traded for his own sake. It's sad to see him wind down his career in the disaster that is our team right now.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post

Actually I don't usually agree with this guy, but this time he has a point.
Thanx, you expanded it very well.
Shanahan's contract has little to do with that suggestion. It wasn't the point. Plus, everything is doable. He will walk away next summer anyway. I would if I was BRANDAN.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Shanahan's contract has little to do with that suggestion. It wasn't the point. Plus, everything is doable. He will walk away next summer anyway. I would if I was BRANDAN.
Ahem...Brendan.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Brendan

You are now 0 for 2

Old
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Ahem...Brendan.
Damn you beat me by a second. Thats what I get for going all fancy with the colored "e".

Old
01-24-2007, 09:41 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Damn you beat me by a second. Thats what I get for going all fancy with the colored "e".
Shenny should be traded.

Old
01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Trade arguably the most complete player the Rangers have in their line-up.....

Old
01-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Shenny should be traded.
You mean Shannerhen!

Old
01-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Chimp

So, you actually think Shanny is part of the problem? And you actually think we will get anything of value from a guy who is an UFA at the end of the season?

No one is helping him doing his job on the second line. That's the problem. If he doesn't want to stay in NYR, fine, but if we start trying to move him, that's like a stab in the back on Shanny. He will certainly not stay in Rangers then.

I don't care how old players are as long as they are doing their job.

So, what's next? Trade Lundqvist, he's too old anyway. Trade the whole first line, they suck anyway - for 14 year old prospects - they're young!

Old
01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
TheRedressor

You know things are getting too idle when 94Now starts a thread.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Fletch

don't really know what to say, and that's because I cannot argue your point vehemently. I would not trade Shanahan, but do not have the best arguments and see both sides of the equation. Having Shanny here would be great if a couple of Callahan, Dawes and Dubinsky were here. They're not. He's here to help lead some of the younger guys, or at least that's how we looked at it when he was signed. He would be very valuable to a team making a playoff push (including the Rangers, of course). It depends on the direction you want the team to take, and if you think that some kids will come up next season and benefit from having him on the roster (if he resigns).

Old
01-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Trade Lundqvist, he's too old anyway.
No we need to trade Hank because he's causing all of Malik's turnovers and giving A. Ward a severe case of narcolepsy.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
94now

Quote:
So, you actually think Shanny is part of the problem?
No. He is the best player. Sometimes things like that make sense. It has been done many times. I made my case for it.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
dave4

Quote:
So, you actually think Shanny is part of the problem? And you actually think we will get anything of value from a guy who is an UFA at the end of the season?

No one is helping him doing his job on the second line. That's the problem. If he doesn't want to stay in NYR, fine, but if we start trying to move him, that's like a stab in the back on Shanny. He will certainly not stay in Rangers then.

I don't care how old players are as long as they are doing their job.

So, what's next? Trade Lundqvist, he's too old anyway. Trade the whole first line, they suck anyway - for 14 year old prospects - they're young!
That's not what I said. Shanahan isn't a problem for the Rangers, the Rangers are more of a problem for Shanahan. And with the current makeup of the team we're not able to take advantages of all the intangibles Shanahan brings to the table.

Yes I do think we'd get something of value even though he's a UFA. Teams rent players all the time. We won't get as much as we'd get if he had another year on his contract, but we'd get something that could help us down the road.

I have to agree that if we trade him he won't want to stay with the Rangers, hard to argue with that logic.

I would trade anyone over 25 if the right deal came along. This team has proven as it is currently constructed it is going NOWHERE. Lundqvist is not over 25, and since goalie's have a longer shelf life I would probably make it 28 or 30 even if he was.

But this team will never win anything with Jagr, Nylander or Straka. I like all these players, particularly Straka and not so much Jagr this year, but they're too old to ever win with us. By the time the rest of the team is good enough to contend, those three will be either retired or a lot less effective. Shanahan too. Hopefully Lundqvist will still be here, playing like he did last year.

And I'm talking about 18-24 year old prospects, not 14 year olds.

If we were a Cup contender I'd have no problem holding onto older guys and looking to fill in the missing pieces. But we're not a Cup contender, and won't be for a long time. Let's let the other teams fill in their missing pieces with our older guys, and get some valuable young assets in return.

Let's trust the Edmonton Genuis to make sound trades and player evaluations and make us better in the long run.

What a joke he is, but that's another thread entirely.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
No. He is the best player. Sometimes things like that make sense. It has been done many times. I made my case for it.
I subscribe to Fletch's philosophy. It all depends on what direction this team is going. If we're going to make a playoff push, then we absolutely keep him. If, however, this team is a lame duck by the deadline, I say move him. I'd much rather have the picks and/or prospects he'd bring in than watching him finish the season with us.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
94now

Quote:
No we need to trade Hank because he's causing all of Malik's turnovers and giving A. Ward a severe case of narcolepsy.
Oh, please enough already! I look through you posts. You were wrong most of the times when you bothered to express any opinion. What is that in my post that gets below your arsh moving threshold?

Old
01-24-2007, 10:16 AM
SML

I said over a week ago when everyone was talking about jagr offers on the trade board that this was going to be the real question at the deadline. Ola, I think you are underestimating the value of Shanahan (or should I say Shenaniganhan to stay with the flow of the thread) at the deadline, because IMO, he is a perfect rental player. He has everything a team heading into the playoffs, (which SHOULD be us, but in case we're not) would want and his cost would not be nearly as prohibitive as a guy like Forsberg, and he hasn't got a tenth of the durability questions. Granted, we wouldn't be talking about restocking the entire franchise here, but He would get a decent return at least.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
94now

Quote:
I subscribe to Fletch's philosophy. It all depends on what direction this team is going. If we're going to make a playoff push, then we absolutely keep him. If, however, this team is a lame duck by the deadline, I say move him. I'd much rather have the picks and/or prospects he'd bring in than watching him finish the season with us.
Thank you. It's time to write this season off, IMO.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:21 AM
dave4

Quote:
Playoff push? The problem is that around the trade deadline 90% of the league will mathetically able to make a 'playoff push'. There's a difference between being a contender to make the playoffs, which most teams will be, and being a Stanley Cup contender, which we certainly won't be, and probably won't be for at least a few years, maybe more.

Being six points out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline should not warrant a move to bring in or continue to play old guys with no upside down the road.

Since we're not going to win either way we need to play the kids, and more importanly acquire more of them.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
cringer

If I thought the Rangers could get a franchise-changing, earth shattering deal for Shanny I would say go for it. But it's just not gonna happen. He's too old. (and too unrestricted). We won't get enough in return to justify shipping him out.

As long as he's happy here, you really couldn't ask for a much better character veteran that is still producing. Who knows what next season will bring, or the one after, assuming he stays here and doesn't retire.

His leadership might turn out to be critical to the direction of this franchise before he's done.

Closed Thread